Sammy Watkins complaining about targets again

Rigotz

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In professional sports, what sort of athlete is the most motivated? The ones who are in a contract year.

Diva or not, the Bills had the chance to have Sammy playing for a contract for the next four consecutive years without having to risk a significant portion of their available cap. Sammy's unquestionably talented. Motivation + talent = a dangerous weapon for a team who's completely devoid of dangerous weapons.

Trading a WR just because he wants the ball is... well, Billsy.

ironically, in a contract year, as you confirmed. He just apologized to his young star QB because he gave up on a play.

Just saying, if this kid wasn't a head case. A lazy and often hurt prima donna. He would probably be a better teammate. He would probably be in higher demand.

The writing is on the wall with him at this point. He's got a ton of baggage and his production doesn't compensate for it.

It's pretty easy to see. Not quite sure what all the excuses are for him. To this point he's produced next to nothing in this league. If he was not so beloved around here he would have been called a bust a long long time ago.

People seem to either ignore or forget that the last time he complained about targets, he was not only right, but they threw to him more and he dominated. ;)

I recall him quitting on his team in London and being on the sidelines watching a loss when he complained about targets.

Good riddance to this punk.

People seem to either ignore or forget that the last time he complained about targets, he was not only right, but they threw to him more and he dominated. ;)

According to his own admission, it came at the expense of his relationships with his teammates and coaches. Fast forward to today and he has been shipped out to another team because FO didn't believe he was worth as much as he believed he was and from his own Twitter accounts, he still is doing the same thing he did before that he himself implied that he wouldn't do again and that he had learned from that mistake.

Assuming he has yet another lack luster year production wise, at what point are the excuses for his continued under performance going to end?

ironically, in a contract year, as you confirmed. He just apologized to his young star QB because he gave up on a play.

Just saying, if this kid wasn't a head case. A lazy and often hurt prima donna. He would probably be a better teammate. He would probably be in higher demand.

The writing is on the wall with him at this point. He's got a ton of baggage and his production doesn't compensate for it.

It's pretty easy to see. Not quite sure what all the excuses are for him. To this point he's produced next to nothing in this league. If he was not so beloved around here he would have been called a bust a long long time ago.

I'm not making excuses for him. I know you don't like the guy and haven't for years, but his talent is evident to all those who watch him play - not just in Buffalo but around the league. His issue has been availability, and that's on him to correct.

All I'm saying is that his talent is undeniable, and he has produced numbers to back it up when given the opportunity. He was far and away the best player on the Bills roster not wearing #25 from a talent perspective, and if motivation/injury concerns were really a sticking point for the front office, they had the option to force Sammy to play for a new contract for the next four consecutive seasons if they wished. Historically, that's led to career years for various malcontents throughout the NFL time and time again. There's no question the Bills are a better team with Sammy on their roster than without him - diva antics or no diva antics.

But clearly, the front office did not think he was worth it for whatever reason. That "reason" is the subject of the thread and much speculation since the trade went down. If it comes out that it's primarily because he's a diva who demands the ball, as this thread is suggesting and as Boyst has intimated, that to me is no reason to dump a valuable asset for peanuts. It is, regardless of how you spin it, poor asset management because any WR worth a damn is exactly the same on that front.

Now, the 3-2 Bills are stagnant on offense, fielding a WR corpse (sic) of guys who don't belong in anyone's starting lineup, and are poised to waste yet another stellar defensive unit's time. Worse, they're going to end up winning 7-8-9 games in the process and (probably, though hopefully I'm wrong) still not make the playoffs.

Sammy is worth at least 2 or 3 wins to this team today. Those 2 or 3 wins are probably going to come in pretty handy when we near December. And I'd argue, diva or no diva, ending the playoff drought this year would be worth more to this front office (and the fans) than the return they got for dealing Sammy when they did.

They bought high and sold low. That's my beef.

Anybody else think it's weird that Watkins still has a picture of him in a Bills uniform on his twitter avatar and background?

They guy tweets regularly and would think he'd update it to his current team.

Samantha_Watkins.png

Wish I knew how to embed tweets properly.

Edited by Captain Murica

From what I saw Goff tried to force him the ball 3 times and it was 3 wasted downs. On one of them Watkins failed to look back for the ball. On the other two his separation was not great. I'm thinking he's just not as good as all the hype. The receiver version of CJ spiller.

Edited by Charles Romes

All I'm saying is that his talent is undeniable, and he has produced numbers to back it up when given the opportunity. He was far and away the best player on the Bills roster not wearing #25 from a talent perspective, and if motivation/injury concerns were really a sticking point for the front office, they had the option to force Sammy to play for a new contract for the next four consecutive seasons if they wished. Historically, that's led to career years for various malcontents throughout the NFL time and time again. There's no question the Bills are a better team with Sammy on their roster than without him - diva antics or no diva antics.

Sammy is still in a contract year. So, where's the production? Why did a QB call out this "elite" WR for quitting on a route when said WR is in a contract year?

Sammy does not appear to be a motivated WR, but he sure appears to be a motivated whiner.

But clearly, the front office did not think he was worth it for whatever reason. That "reason" is the subject of the thread and much speculation since the trade went down. If it comes out that it's primarily because he's a diva who demands the ball, as this thread is suggesting and as Boyst has intimated, that to me is no reason to dump a valuable asset for peanuts. It is, regardless of how you spin it, poor asset management because any WR worth a damn is exactly the same on that front.

If that asset is not producing, and the value is dropping, then dumping said valuable asset for what you can get is good asset management.

Now, the 3-2 Bills are stagnant on offense, fielding a WR corpse (sic) of guys who don't belong in anyone's starting lineup, and are poised to waste yet another stellar defensive unit's time. Worse, they're going to end up winning 7-8-9 games in the process and (probably, though hopefully I'm wrong) still not make the playoffs.

Sammy is worth at least 2 or 3 wins to this team today. Those 2 or 3 wins are probably going to come in pretty handy when we near December. And I'd argue, diva or no diva, ending the playoff drought this year would be worth more to this front office (and the fans) than the return they got for dealing Sammy when they did.

They bought high and sold low. That's my beef.

I am wondering if the Rams are beginning to believe they may have paid too much for this "valuable" asset.

Sammy is still in a contract year. So, where's the production? Why did a QB call out this "elite" WR for quitting on a route when said WR is in a contract year?

Sammy does not appear to be a motivated WR, but he sure appears to be a motivated whiner.

It's Week 6 of 17. He was traded to a new team in the middle of camp. Might want to hold off on that assessment until the season is up. :beer:

If that asset is not producing, and the value is dropping, then dumping said valuable asset for what you can get is good asset management.

The asset was producing, and as I said, he is worth 2 to 3 wins to this team as it's currently built. Let's see if they're going to need two or three wins to make the playoffs this season, I'm guessing those wins are going to be pretty necessary.

Regardless of that though, they sold him at a point when no one in the league knew if he was healthy. Even if they wanted to move from him, doing so when they did was selling him at his lowest possible value.

That's not good asset management under any definition.

I am wondering if the Rams are beginning to believe they may have paid too much for this "valuable" asset.

They aren't. I promise.

Some of you guys crack me up. Sammy is elite. Whether you like his personality or not is irrelevant. He was way underutilized in Buffalo because of the ground n pound philosophy along with a mediocre risk adverse qb. Now the Rams braintrust are making the same mistakes. Mark my words Sammy will land somewhere where he's featured.

Some of you guys crack me up. Sammy is elite. Whether you like his personality or not is irrelevant. He was way underutilized in Buffalo because of the ground n pound philosophy along with a mediocre risk adverse qb. Now the Rams braintrust are making the same mistakes. Mark my words Sammy will land somewhere where he's featured.

define "elite". Is he a top 10 WR in the NFL, i would say he might squeeze in at the bottom, i dont cal that elite.

He apologized for quitting on a route Sunday. That should be a sufficient answer.

Did he really?

Then he complains about not getting targeted. this a few days after he admitted he was selfish in Buffalo.

Sammy do yourself a favor, through away your twitter account.

It's Week 6 of 17. He was traded to a new team in the middle of camp. Might want to hold off on that assessment until the season is up. :beer:

And would that justify quitting on a route? Because that bolded excuse is growing old quickly. How many more weeks does he need? 1? 2? The remainder of the season?

Regardless of that though, they sold him at a point when no one in the league knew if he was healthy. Even if they wanted to move from him, doing so when they did was selling him at his lowest possible value.

That's not good asset management under any definition.

You are assuming said asset would increase in value from what it was. So far, production to date appears to disapprove that assumption.

And if that production continues on the same level, then, no it was not bad asset management. They got what they could before his real value dropped even lower.

2 different teams, 3 different HC, 4 different OC, and yet nobody can figure out how to target Sammy more.

Time to start looking at the common denominator as the reason why: Sammy Watkins.

Sammy is putatively elite.

The proof of the pudding is lacking.

2 different teams, 3 different HC, 4 different OC, and yet nobody can figure out how to target Sammy more.

Time to start looking at the common denominator as the reason why: Sammy Watkins.

just like the CJ Spiller argument around here. Problem is too many idiots here think they know better than head coaches, and offensive coordinators in the NFL.

Humor them tho. It's funny to watch

Edited by mrags

Sammy is a good receiver. He is not a great receiver. You may think that he is elite because he was drafted 4th overall, but he is not. He is over rated. There is absolutely no evidence that he is elite, just your opinion. Having a few excellent games & a few great catches doesn't make a WR elite. Day in & day out production would bolster your argument . Maybe someday. We shall see. Again, he is good but must produce in order to be elite.

Thing is, the rams dont need Sammy. That's why he's not producing there. If he was here I'd almost guarantee he'd be around 350/400 yards because the bills desperately need a guy like him. I wouldn't be surprised if the rams trade him before 0ct 31

Edited by Steptide

And would that justify quitting on a route? Because that bolded excuse is growing old quickly. How many more weeks does he need? 1? 2? The remainder of the season?

Nothing justifies giving up on a route. I never claimed otherwise. But it happens... to more than just Sammy.

You are assuming said asset would increase in value from what it was. So far, production to date appears to disapprove that assumption.

Disagree. The only question other teams had about Watkins - and I'm basing this on what I've heard from actual people in the league - was about his ability to remain healthy. He hadn't played meaningful snaps in months and had spent the off season fending off questions about his foot. Health concerns cratered his value, justifiably so.

I completely agree it was a risk to hold onto him. Had he been injured in the first 5 weeks, then my point is moot. But had the Bills hung onto him for the first five games, not only would they probably be sitting at 5-0, his value would be far higher than it was in early August.