Sammy Watkins complaining about targets again

Rigotz

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9388/sammy-watkins

After 6 targets and 1 reception for 17 yards combined the last two weeks ... Sammy is complaining on Twitter again.

Doesn't he know it's because every defense schemes around him and his greatness. At least that's what I heard somewhere. Ironically when you're great you don't get targets, yards or receptions. Edited by RaoulDuke79

I've never played with or coached a WR who was worth a damn who didn't express his need for the ball. Is it annoying? Sure. Is it a distraction? Not really. It's expected.

Saying he's "never shown he's an elite receiver in any case" is just flat out inaccurate.

I agree with these thoughts!

If Sam was as good as Sam thinks Sam is, then Sam would be really good. Unfortunately, Sam is wrong. Sam also seems to have a problem with chemistry. Sam likes to complain to the media about his quarterbacks. Quarterbacks don't like Sam. Sam thinks he's earned the right to demand targets. Unfortunately, again, Sam is wrong. Sam takes plays off. Sam won't play through discomfort. Sam is a bad teammate. And on the Rams, Sam is the third best WR.

But Sam is a dick, so don't feel sorry for him.

Bad Sam.

Bad.

It's a smart move by Watkins. If the Rams are trying to keep his cost down by limiting his targets or just simply not interested in making him a focal point, why not plan your exit? He didn't ask to be traded. He likely wants to be a free agent under those circumstances. The second contract is usually a players chance to get paid, while they are relatively young. All good WRs want the ball, it just comes with the territory.

You cretins realize that the ONLY game they did the simple and obvious thing that Sammy is asking for, he had six catches and over 100 yards and two touchdowns in an upset win, right?

Sam had 6 catches for 106 and in the same game Woods had 6 catches for 108 yards. Know what it means? The 49ers have a really bad secondary.

Sam had 6 catches for 106 and in the same game Woods had 6 catches for 108 yards. Know what it means? The 49ers have a really bad secondary.

how much are they paying people to sit there and watch San Fran play football

Or it means that the Niners D isn't exactly the Seahawks.

SamME was also a no show when they played the Skins and Josh Norman.

how much are they paying people to sit there and watch San Fran play football

Fantasy and Gambling is the reason people watch so many out of market games. SF isn't even a bad watch, they can't play D and Hoyer slings the ball around.

It's all adding up to where you have to assume he was not on the "buy in" program McD is looking for and may have been a divisive force behind closed doors.

He seems like a "me first" guy and basically just said as much, and now he's bitching at his team too.

He scored two touchdowns, one on a tremendous effort and also made a spectacular catch of a bomb. When he asked for more targets on the Bills he dominated Revis.

SamME was also a no show when they played the Skins and Josh Norman.

Fantasy and Gambling is the reason people watch so many out of market games. SF isn't even a bad watch, they can't play D and Hoyer slings the ball around.

Perhaps Goff is unwilling to challenge Norman and Sherman, preferring to go elsewhere. I've seen SW beat good corners in his time in BUF. I've also seen Goff ignore an open Watkins to throw to other players. Many factors at play, besides that SW and Goff had little practice time together during the offseason. He's only been there since August, no minicamps , OTAs etc.

He scored two touchdowns, one on a tremendous effort and also made a spectacular catch of a bomb. When he asked for more targets on the Bills he dominated Revis.

The tremendous effort left him with a concussion. Revis was over the hill at that point, that isn't a feather in his cap at all. He is a great deep threat but he can't consistently make catches in traffic and he plays soft. I don't know how that can be denied at this point. If you watched Deandre Hopkins the other night you know what I mean. Sammy will never be that. He's a decent #1 option but not reliable enough to be anything more than a good #2. I think he'll end up getting paid much more than he's worth.

Revis went back to NY to cash checks and get fat. In 14' Watkins had 2 catches against the Pats in one game and 3 in the other. IIRC he didn't combine for 100 yards in those 2 games.

Perhaps Goff is unwilling to challenge Norman and Sherman, preferring to go elsewhere. I've seen SW beat good corners in his time in BUF. I've also seen Goff ignore an open Watkins to throw to other players. Many factors at play, besides that SW and Goff had little practice time together during the offseason. He's only been there since August, no minicamps , OTAs etc.

elite WR's as Sam is supposed to be doesn't need that time. Goff may, but it is unlikely if Watkins was as talented as other actual top 10 WR's ( Brown, Beckham, Larry Fitzgerald, Trevor Graham, Dez Bryant)

elite WR's as Sam is supposed to be doesn't need that time. Goff may, but it is unlikely if Watkins was as talented as other actual top 10 WR's ( Brown, Beckham, Larry Fitzgerald, Trevor Graham, Dez Bryant)

I saw him put up great numbers with Tyrod Taylor as his QB when he was featured. That showed me all I need to know.

didn't Hogan and others also put up good numbers?

Hogan didn't put up the numbers SW put up over that stretch in the second half off the 2015 season. I believe they were tops in the league over that time period, if I recall. It's not hard to see the difference between a Watkins and Hogan.

Hogan didn't put up the numbers SW put up over that stretch in the second half off the 2015 season. I believe they were tops in the league over that time period, if I recall. It's not hard to see the difference between a Watkins and Hogan.

anyone can see the potential. But Hogan has put up numbers far better than Watkins bang for the buck. Give me the bang for the buck. Because I'd rather have a blast with a $100 whore than a $10,000 whore

Are we just going to ignore Hogan has Tom Brady (195 Pass attempts 1702 yards 11 tds 1 int over 5 games) and Watkins has Jared Goff (164 pass attempts 1360 yards 7 tds 3 ints over 5 games)?

I'm sorry what point are you trying to make? The last game Goff put up 288 yards and 8 different receivers caught a ball. 7 of them at least 2 balls. Watkins had zero catches. The game before Goff put up 255 yards to 8 different receivers Watkins had 1 catch for 17 yards.

There is a reason that he is a glorified decoy on two teams now and Goff may not be Brady but has been playing very good this season. I'm not sure what that reason is, but QB is no longer an excuse.

I'm sorry what point are you trying to make? The last game Goff put up 288 yards and 8 different receivers caught a ball. 7 of them at least 2 balls. Watkins had zero catches. The game before Goff put up 255 yards to 8 different receivers Watkins had 1 catch for 17 yards.

There is a reason that he is a glorified decoy on two teams now and Goff may not be Brady but has been playing very good this season. I'm not sure what that reason is, but QB is no longer an excuse.

No man, his serial defenders are too invested in him to admit that they were probably wrong. The excuse train will go on through the season into the next if need be.

It's always someone else's fault. First it was TT, then it was the coaches fault for not targeting him more often, then it was the injuries, then it was him being forced to play with injuries, then it was him being traded and not having enough time to learn the playbook, then it was because he's the only elite WR to be used as a decoy week in and week out, now it's because of Goff.

Do you see a pattern here?

No man, his serial defenders are too invested in him to admit that they were probably wrong. The excuse train will go on through the season into the next if need be.

It's always someone else's fault. First it was TT, then it was the coaches fault for not targeting him more often, then it was the injuries, then it was him being forced to play with injuries, then it was him being traded and not having enough time to learn the playbook, then it was because he's the only elite WR to be used as a decoy week in and week out, now it's because of Goff.

Do you see a pattern here?

Watch the games. TT nor Goff looks for him. They have the play sent in and don't survey the field of the matchups.

I can promise you that any competent seasoned QB would be throwing him the ball. These are basically rookies.

Also the #1 defenders are assigned to him as are double teams. But I guess opposing coaches don't know anything either.

It is sad to see.

Edited by Billsfan1972

Watch the games. TT nor Goff looks for him. They have the play sent in and don't survey the field of the matchups.

I can promise you that any competent seasoned QB would be throwing him the ball. These are basically rookies.

Also the #1 defenders are assigned to him as are double teams. But I guess opposing coaches don't know anything either.

It is sad to see.

Future hall of famer for being the best decoy ever. Totally worth 15 mil a year.

Sorry, but a guy that throws to 8 different targets game in and game out is not purposely avoiding him.

I'm not making excuses for him. I know you don't like the guy and haven't for years, but his talent is evident to all those who watch him play - not just in Buffalo but around the league. His issue has been availability, and that's on him to correct.

All I'm saying is that his talent is undeniable, and he has produced numbers to back it up when given the opportunity. He was far and away the best player on the Bills roster not wearing #25 from a talent perspective, and if motivation/injury concerns were really a sticking point for the front office, they had the option to force Sammy to play for a new contract for the next four consecutive seasons if they wished. Historically, that's led to career years for various malcontents throughout the NFL time and time again. There's no question the Bills are a better team with Sammy on their roster than without him - diva antics or no diva antics.

But clearly, the front office did not think he was worth it for whatever reason. That "reason" is the subject of the thread and much speculation since the trade went down. If it comes out that it's primarily because he's a diva who demands the ball, as this thread is suggesting and as Boyst has intimated, that to me is no reason to dump a valuable asset for peanuts. It is, regardless of how you spin it, poor asset management because any WR worth a damn is exactly the same on that front.

Now, the 3-2 Bills are stagnant on offense, fielding a WR corpse (sic) of guys who don't belong in anyone's starting lineup, and are poised to waste yet another stellar defensive unit's time. Worse, they're going to end up winning 7-8-9 games in the process and (probably, though hopefully I'm wrong) still not make the playoffs.

Sammy is worth at least 2 or 3 wins to this team today. Those 2 or 3 wins are probably going to come in pretty handy when we near December. And I'd argue, diva or no diva, ending the playoff drought this year would be worth more to this front office (and the fans) than the return they got for dealing Sammy when they did.

They bought high and sold low. That's my beef.

He's really lighting it up, aint he?

Worth at least 2-3 wins? :rolleyes:

He's due for a good game. It's the story of his career aside from one good stretch, inconsistence. Sammy puts up a good game, has an ok game than a stinker or two. Rinse and repeat.

this

You cretins realize that the ONLY game they did the simple and obvious thing that Sammy is asking for, he had six catches and over 100 yards and two touchdowns in an upset win, right?

Goff is still in a very early stage of his development so his ability to scan the field is still rudimentary. Given time and with a young passing qb who is going to get better Watkins will be targeted more, assuming he signs there. Watkins joined the Rams late so he didn't have an opportunity to work out with the team in the offseason. Right now Goff is more comfortable throwing to Kupp. As time goes on Watkins should be more involved with the offense. Anyone who is dismissing Watkins from a talent standpoint is because of his personality is making a mistake.

I'm not making excuses for him. I know you don't like the guy and haven't for years, but his talent is evident to all those who watch him play - not just in Buffalo but around the league. His issue has been availability, and that's on him to correct.

All I'm saying is that his talent is undeniable, and he has produced numbers to back it up when given the opportunity. He was far and away the best player on the Bills roster not wearing #25 from a talent perspective, and if motivation/injury concerns were really a sticking point for the front office, they had the option to force Sammy to play for a new contract for the next four consecutive seasons if they wished. Historically, that's led to career years for various malcontents throughout the NFL time and time again. There's no question the Bills are a better team with Sammy on their roster than without him - diva antics or no diva antics.

But clearly, the front office did not think he was worth it for whatever reason. That "reason" is the subject of the thread and much speculation since the trade went down. If it comes out that it's primarily because he's a diva who demands the ball, as this thread is suggesting and as Boyst has intimated, that to me is no reason to dump a valuable asset for peanuts. It is, regardless of how you spin it, poor asset management because any WR worth a damn is exactly the same on that front.

Now, the 3-2 Bills are stagnant on offense, fielding a WR corpse (sic) of guys who don't belong in anyone's starting lineup, and are poised to waste yet another stellar defensive unit's time. Worse, they're going to end up winning 7-8-9 games in the process and (probably, though hopefully I'm wrong) still not make the playoffs.

Sammy is worth at least 2 or 3 wins to this team today. Those 2 or 3 wins are probably going to come in pretty handy when we near December. And I'd argue, diva or no diva, ending the playoff drought this year would be worth more to this front office (and the fans) than the return they got for dealing Sammy when they did.

They bought high and sold low. That's my beef.

I didn't like the trade either, but you have to admit his performance so far in LA is spotty at best. The last two games very few touches and no real impact on the games. Hard to see how he could make a 2-3 game difference for us.

The kid just may not be as good as many of us thought.

I didn't like the trade either, but you have to admit his performance so far in LA is spotty at best. The last two games very few touches and no real impact on the games. Hard to see how he could make a 2-3 game difference for us.

The kid just may not be as good as many of us thought.

It's exactly how he performed in Buffalo. I liked Sammy, but, hated what the Bills surrendered to acquire him. Made me feel better after the Browns squandered all of those draft picks. This is the second QB to end up off of Sammy's Christmas list. Has to be more to it.

And he thinks the earth is flat.

Edited by Captain Murica

Goff is still in a very early stage of his development so his ability to scan the field is still rudimentary. Given time and with a young passing qb who is going to get better Watkins will be targeted more, assuming he signs there. Watkins joined the Rams late so he didn't have an opportunity to work out with the team in the offseason. Right now Goff is more comfortable throwing to Kupp. As time goes on Watkins should be more involved with the offense. Anyone who is dismissing Watkins from a talent standpoint is because of his personality is making a mistake.

You realize this was the exact argument made for drafting him, give a young developing QB a great receiver to make his job easier. And the Bills got blasted for it.