Jordan Matthews Thumb Injury Update: Active vs. TB

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who doesn't recognize Matthews as being a decent WR either A) has no idea what they are talking about or B) Has an ax to grind

Maybe, but let's be honest: would you consider our WR corps serious enough to consistently compete for a playoff spot, even with Matthews being healthy?

I guess I wouldn't rule out a trade, but a WR is a tricky add in October because they would need to learn the offense and would have had zero reps with TT. By the time they are up to speed, jmatt is probably back. Plus they use their WRs less than any other team.

Regardless, it's a huge loss.

Good thing we have a bye week coming up. Zay needs to figure things out.

His problem is that he is thinking too much. He needs some short quick throws that he can catch that hopefully will give him a boost of confidence and loosen him up. His nerves are overwhelming psyche.

Tyrod Taylor is not a high volume passer. When receivers drop passes they have more of a crushing effect.

I guess I wouldn't rule out a trade, but a WR is a tricky add in October because they would need to learn the offense and would have had zero reps with TT. By the time they are up to speed, jmatt is probably back. Plus they use their WRs less than any other team.

Regardless, it's a huge loss.

They use their WRs less than any other team because they have the worst WR corps in the league.

That being said, I agree with your main point, adding a WR at this point wouldn't be the immediate gain that many are hoping for. It takes time to mesh with the offense/QB.

Huge blow. And it was such a bad throw. I know I will get hammered for being anti-Taylor... that might have been his worst play of the game.

Ever consider that a more forward throw would have been intercepted? That play was defended well.

You probably aren't getting someone immediately impactful and odds are this is a month long type of injury -- doubt a trade makes sense

With the way Zay has the dropsies, we actually could have a need for a guy beyond just the month that Matthews will be out. Not sure who we could get though. I guess you would knock on the door of some 0-4 teams.

Maybe, but let's be honest: would you consider our WR corps serious enough to consistently compete for a playoff spot, even with Matthews being healthy?

No, I think our WR unit isn't where it needs to be. Matthews would be a good #2 option preferably in the slot where he is at his best. We need a true #1 and I'm guessing next year's draft we will address that.

It's a play that every single team in the league runs around the goal line.

I'd prefer the Bills using their strengths instead of running a play because everyone else runs it.

A quick hitter like that is not Tyrod's bread and butter, nor Jmatt's. They would have been better off running Tolbert twice there.

@hsimon62

If you take Matthews out of the mix with his injury, BIlls WR's have combined 11 catches in 4 games for 120 yards

Right now we're winning with Defense and some magic dust. We need Zay to step up big. I guess we can blame Whaley for Zay Jones if he doesn't work out. But credit McDermott and Beane if he does. LMAO.

If Jordan is out an extended period, they might have to give up one of those picks for a WR.

They have to do a Sammy Watkins type trade for Landry or something.

Can Kyle Orton play WR?

@hsimon62

If you take Matthews out of the mix with his injury, BIlls WR's have combined 11 catches in 4 games for 120 yards

That is because our true #1 WRs are Clay and Shady!

His problem is that he is thinking too much. He needs some short quick throws that he can catch that hopefully will give him a boost of confidence and loosen him up. His nerves are overwhelming psyche.

Tyrod Taylor is not a high volume passer. When receivers drop passes they have more of a crushing effect.

He is also not a big short yardage players which for some teams keeps WRs engaged.

B Tate was also a healthy scratch, so he's sitting there too

Ir is clear they are going between our two returners trying to determine who is the best but if Bills need the slot they may need to let someone go. If they activate Powell (I am thinking they will do it after bye) they will need to release someone anyways.

Well at least we got rid of that injury prone guy.

It is absolutely annoying that they unload the guy who some label as injury prone, replace him with a more productive member of the same draft that statered just about every game as opposed to 2/3. Then from the get go misses major time twice in camp and 4 games in.

What's the deal with that??