The Defense yesterday was bland on purpose

KellyToughII

McDermott has his old team coming up, I believe he held back anything fancy, blitzes, exotic looks etc, until this week. And or will have Frasier slowly work them in.

McD knew the offense he was facing from the Jets wasn't that good, so he went as vanilla as possible. I feel what we saw is something we havent been able to see in a very long time in Buffalo. They just let players play within the system, but be themselfs. Don't make stupid mistakes, take care of your own assignment, be in the right place and tackle well.

It worked.

If this is true, then we should be VERY excited about the defense if they can play that solid without a very in dept game plan.

McDermott has his old team coming up, I believe he held back anything fancy, blitzes, exotic looks etc, until this week. And or will have Frasier slowly work them in.

McD knew the offense he was facing from the Jets wasn't that good, so he went as vanilla as possible. I feel what we saw is something we havent been able to see in a very long time in Buffalo. They just let players play within the system, but be themselfs. Don't make stupid mistakes, take care of your own assignment, be in the right place and tackle well.

It worked.

If this is true, then we should be VERY excited about the defense if they can play that solid without a very in dept game plan.

The really pleasant surprise was the defensive backfield.

The really pleasant surprise was the defensive backfield.

I would agree.. I was like Poyer who?? All off-season long.

Then yesterday the guy looked like an all pro hustling all over the field making plays. Without a great pass rush I thought the secondary did pretty good. Allowed a ton of dink and dunk passes but eh I didn't expect complete domination. I was impressed with those guys

It worked.

So he risked losing a game to not give teams a look at his defense?

It's probably fair to say a rookie head coach didn't empty his entire bag of tricks in his first game. At the very least, gameplanning for $cam Newton is going to be a lot different, so I think it's reasonable to expect a few different looks next week.

I tend to agree with the OP.

The better coaches in the league draw up different plays depending on the opponent.

The lack of adapting to the opponent has been a significant issue with recent Bills coaches. It'll be interesting to see if McDermott is different. You're not going to use yesterday's defense to adequately defend Cam Newton next week.

They gameplanned to stop the run, and did it quite successfully imo.

Absolutely. They knew McCown and the NYJ receiving corps didn't have the ability to burn them.

My only complaint is lack of pass rush by the front 4. And it is not as much a complaint as it is a surprise...I believe in time they will show their abilities. But can we really complain when they give up 212 yards?

Lots of three step drops with quick throws to get the ball out of McCowns hand.

Rex's defense got eaten alive by those sorts of offenses last year. The quick throw, power run offenses drove right through us. The way to stop those offenses is with good tackling and the fundamentals, that's what McD brings to the table.

Edited by HappyDays

Rex's defense got eaten alive by those sorts of offenses last year. The quick throw, power run offenses drove right through us. The way to stop those offenses is with good tackling and the fundamentals, that's what McD brings to the table.

. No putting a defensive tackle in coverage is always the best option

So he risked losing a game to not give teams a look at his defense?

I don't believe this either. I think the first win was crucially important so McD and Frazier put together the game plan that had the most likelihood of success.

But I also agree they didn't display their "entire bag of tricks." We'll see new wrinkles against a different opponent with different threats.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I actually wouldn't doubt this is true, but if not this pass rush wasn't that great against a team it should have dominated.

McDermott and Frasier no doubt will blitz like crazy against Newton who did not look good at all against the 49ers and still nowhere close to being at full strength because that's the only chance we have of winning this game in Carolina.

Both sides went very vanilla once the game was in hand. We even got a couple doses of run, run incomplete just like the old days :lol:

I thought McCoy's post-game presser may have been more revealing than some realize - he mentioned they had a bunch of pass plays designed for him that they didn't end up using - probably b/c they didn't need them - but I think that's a hint of how much offensive gameplan we still haven't seen.

I hope they change it up every week based on who we are playing.

The only DC who I have seen do that is Wade which is why he is one of the best.

. No putting a defensive tackle in coverage is always the best option

Sometimes it is. Kyle has done that and really surprised WR so much he forgot to catch the ball.

I don't believe this either. I think the first win was crucially important so McD and Frazier put together the game plan that had the most likelihood of success.

But I also agree they didn't display their "entire bag of tricks." We'll see new wrinkles against a different opponent with different threats.

Isn't that the same thing that you just didn't believe in?

It worked.

So let me get this straight:

1. Its McD Head Coaching debut and the home opener.

2. Its a must win game being in our division.

3. Its a must win game given the difficulty of a number of up coming opponents being tougher to win.

4. It was a game in which the Jets stayed within striking distance most of the game (thanks to Clay and a missed FG)

And you think that a professional NFL HC, who knows any team can win on any given Sunday, decided to hold back just to try and disguise something for the next week? Come on...where do people come up with this stuff? The next time an NFL HC decides to hold back in his professional debut, at home, against a divisional rival, and against a team that its imperative we beat twice this year given the amount of quality opponents on our schedule with be the first time in NFL history.

Coaches don't think like this, and they sure as hell don't think like fans do. There is literally zero probability he held anything back for Carolina. They absolutely went conservative when we had a 2 score advantage and the game was in our control to just run clock down, which was smart. But nothing that happened on the field on Sunday had anything to do with Carolina.

Edited by Alphadawg7

They put in the best gameplay that they thought would work against the Jets. Next week they will put in the best gameplay that they believe will work against Carolina. And it wont be the same because its a different team with different strengths.

They put in the best gameplay that they thought would work against the Jets. Next week they will put in the best gameplay that they believe will work against Carolina. And it wont be the same because its a different team with different strengths.

+1

Sorry but I don't buy the old they were vanilla excuse come regular season. I think that's what you'll see mostly from this defense. A lot of zone off coverage stuff. No fancy blitzing like most Bills fans covet.

This what McD does. His defense is based on putting players in position to make plays.

Not a lot of press coverage, not a lot of blitzing, not a lot of in game adjustments( but at half time yes)

Plus, Whether it was R. Rivera or him, a decent amount of prevent😳

I saw the D swarm to the ball. 4 ... 5... 6 guys, hustling.

There were very few missed tackles or missed assignments and when they swarm, one mistake won't kill you anyway because another guy is there ... and another.

Do all that and you get a D that doesn't need a complex scheme. No Rex, no Rob

Last year = 493 yards and 28 first downs.

I'll take simple, football hustle over trickeration, any day.