The Defense yesterday was bland on purpose

KellyToughII

McDermott has his old team coming up, I believe he held back anything fancy, blitzes, exotic looks etc, until this week. And or will have Frasier slowly work them in.

McD knew the offense he was facing from the Jets wasn't that good, so he went as vanilla as possible. I feel what we saw is something we havent been able to see in a very long time in Buffalo. They just let players play within the system, but be themselfs. Don't make stupid mistakes, take care of your own assignment, be in the right place and tackle well.

It worked.

If this is true, then we should be VERY excited about the defense if they can play that solid without a very in dept game plan.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McDermott has his old team coming up, I believe he held back anything fancy, blitzes, exotic looks etc, until this week. And or will have Frasier slowly work them in.

McD knew the offense he was facing from the Jets wasn't that good, so he went as vanilla as possible. I feel what we saw is something we havent been able to see in a very long time in Buffalo. They just let players play within the system, but be themselfs. Don't make stupid mistakes, take care of your own assignment, be in the right place and tackle well.

It worked.

If this is true, then we should be VERY excited about the defense if they can play that solid without a very in dept game plan.

The really pleasant surprise was the defensive backfield.

The really pleasant surprise was the defensive backfield.

I would agree.. I was like Poyer who?? All off-season long.

Then yesterday the guy looked like an all pro hustling all over the field making plays. Without a great pass rush I thought the secondary did pretty good. Allowed a ton of dink and dunk passes but eh I didn't expect complete domination. I was impressed with those guys

It worked.

So he risked losing a game to not give teams a look at his defense?

It's probably fair to say a rookie head coach didn't empty his entire bag of tricks in his first game. At the very least, gameplanning for $cam Newton is going to be a lot different, so I think it's reasonable to expect a few different looks next week.

I tend to agree with the OP.

The better coaches in the league draw up different plays depending on the opponent.

The lack of adapting to the opponent has been a significant issue with recent Bills coaches. It'll be interesting to see if McDermott is different. You're not going to use yesterday's defense to adequately defend Cam Newton next week.

They gameplanned to stop the run, and did it quite successfully imo.

Absolutely. They knew McCown and the NYJ receiving corps didn't have the ability to burn them.

My only complaint is lack of pass rush by the front 4. And it is not as much a complaint as it is a surprise...I believe in time they will show their abilities. But can we really complain when they give up 212 yards?

Lots of three step drops with quick throws to get the ball out of McCowns hand.