Your favorite non-star/non-big name Bills of all time?

Bob Chandler for me. Poor man's Fred Bilitnikoff. Deserved better teams and QBs. Glad he got a ring with the Raiders before he retired. Died too young. RIP.

BC#81 was a starter til Rashad paired with JD Hill. (as are so many names listed in this thread..)

Shottenhiemer -his name plate started on his left sleeve, across his whole back and ended on his right sleeve.

Lou Piccone

Kenny Davis

Paul McQuire (LB)

Daryl Lamonica

Frank Reich

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admittedly just skimmed through the last 9 pages but I didn't see Mike Lodish mentioned. 10th round draft pick, career back up, until recently was the answer to the super bowl trivia question who played played in the most super bowls with 6 (Beebe played on 6 super bowl teams but did not appear in all of the games.) Tom Terrific just played in his seventh. Lodish and Lou Piccone are my picks, think those are the type of guys the OP had in mind.

Does Tasker count as a non-star?

Also:

• Kenneth Davis
  • Kurt Shultz
  • Jaime Mueller
  • Leonard Smith
  • Marquise Goodwin

James Lofton

I don't think a Hall of Famer can qualify as a non-star

Darick Holmes

Yes!

Sam Gash, I don't know that he was a non-star, because he made the pro-bowl here. But, he was a FB and the position is often overlooked.

Oh yeah, mortal honours are okay as long as they didn't play 5+ years of glory in town.

Sam is a good flashback memory, thanks!!

Travis Henry - after years of 2 yard runs by A. Smith.

Marcellus Wiley

Nate Odomes

Antoine Winfield

Talley

Beebe

Jay Remeirsma

Stevie Johnson

Henry Jones

Kenneth Davis

Keith McKeller

Jeff Wright

Terrence McGee

George Wilson

Clifford Hicks

Edited by SJDK

I was born into Bills fandom and it got serious in the 1970s. So ...

1970s: Jim Braxton. Somehow ate up 800+ yards as OJ's blocking fullback one year.

1980s: Fred Smerlas. Kind of a poster child for everything Buffalo in 1980s

1990s: Marvcus Patton. Because "Marvcus."

2000s: Peerless Price was without peer (for a year or so)

2010s: now it gets tough. Let me go with ... Scott Chandler. Yeah, he kind of sucked. But that's the whole point - favorite players who really didn't do enough to warrant that label. I still think that "shoveling snow" TD celebration when we played a "home game" in Detroit, destroying the Jets when it seemed to mean something (in the end it didn't) is my favorite Bills moment of the decade. Which is a sad commentary indeed. But there you have it. Runner-up: Kiko. Loved watching him in the brief shining moment we called the Mike Pettine era.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Beebe is a good one.

When the Bills played in the Super Bowl in Atlanta, my dad took me to the hotel the Bills were staying at so I could see the players in the lobby....I was 12.

I probably got about 40 autographs....included OJ. Ralph Wilson had his arm around me during a picture.

Beebe was walking by and my dad just said hi. Beebe stopped and talked with my dad for literally 20 minutes....just chit chatting.

The coolest one was Pete Metzellars (sp?)....I went to get a drink from the gift shop and Pete was buying a book. I just said "Hi Mr. Metzellars, I'm a big fan of yours. Would you mind if you signed my card?" He signed my card, my hat, my Bills banner and took a pic with me. He then asked if I was reading any books right now and I said whatever the school makes me. He laughed a little. He had these round glasses and spoke very intelligently....I was taken back because he was a football player and at 12 years old, you don't think football players talk like that. He reminded me of a college professor with the elbow patches.

I met Beebe when I was a kid at training camp in Fredonia. Everyone was trying to get autographs from Kelly, Thurman etc, I went up to Beebe got his autograph and he talked to me for about ten minutes. Since then he's always been my favorite Bill.

Leonard Smith (obviously)

John Holocek (BEAST!)

Nickell Robey (playmaker, should have been retained)

Jim Leonhard (playmaker, should have been retained)

Chris Hogan (OBVIOUSLY)

I was born into Bills fandom and it got serious in the 1970s. So ...

1980s: Fred Smerlas. Kind of a poster child for everything Buffalo in 1980s

NEVER. This Massh*le homer will NEVER get any praise from me... talk crap about the Bills to the enemy, get the horns, MFer.

Leonard Smith (obviously)

John Holocek (BEAST!)

Nickell Robey (playmaker, should have been retained)

Jim Leonhard (playmaker, should have been retained)

Chris Hogan (OBVIOUSLY)

NEVER. This Massh*le homer will NEVER get any praise from me... talk crap about the Bills to the enemy, get the horns, MFer.

I haven't paid any attention to what Smerlas has been doing for the last quarter century, but now that I look it up .... Pats fan, but cozied up to Goodell during the time of deflategate. Special guest at a Trump fundraiser. Apparently will do anything for a buck. Something to offend everyone. I will begin looking for another 1980s favorite player.

I haven't paid any attention to what Smerlas has been doing for the last quarter century, but now that I look it up .... Pats fan, but cozied up to Goodell during the time of deflategate. Special guest at a Trump fundraiser. Apparently will do anything for a buck. Something to offend everyone. I will begin looking for another 1980s favorite player.

Might I suggest Jerry Butler? He was a really high class good player who was drafted at the wrong time in Bills history...

I loved Smerlas as a hilarious interview and a tough player. He has become way too much of a Pats blowhard in the Brady era ( yeah I get he's a Mass. native) and I can't stand to listen to him when he's on lavas radio in Buffalo.

So the likes of Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Kyle Williams, Joe D, Shaw etc.....wouldn't count.

These are players that were contributors, may not have been a top contributor, but someone you always rooted for. Maybe someone that does all the dirty work and didn't get the accolades. Maybe players in which the casual NFL never even heard of.

For me, it's Carwell Gardner, Kurt Schultz, Brad Butler (hated he retired early) and Gabe Northern.

Jamie Mueller, FULL BACK BABY!