Jim Kelly vs Dan Marino: Better QB?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With talented players we had back then? Did Miami ever have a good running game during that tenure or someone like Thurman?

Flip the question this way. If Marino was the Bills Franchise QB with the same supporting cast how many Super bowls would Buffalo have won?

Luck with his lack of a supporting team right know reminds me of those Dolphins teams back in the day.

Edited by Real McCoy

With talented players we had back then? Did Miami ever have a good running game during that tenure or someone like Thurman?

Flip the question this way. If Marino was the Bills Franchise QB with the same supporting cast how many Super bowls would Buffalo have won?

Luck with his lack of a supporting team right know reminds me of those Dolphins teams back in the day.

I doubt they would have won any.....Now, maybe you take Kelly and give the Bills Don Shula and they win one......As already noted above, Kelly was much better at managing the game and had enough of the coach's confidence to be allowed to call and manage his own game, consistently, throughout his career.

I doubt they would have won any.....Now, maybe you take Kelly and give the Bills Don Shula and they win one......As already noted above, Kelly was much better at managing the game and had enough of the coach's confidence to be allowed to call and manage his own game, consistently, throughout his career.

Kelly didn't manage the game well in SB XXV.

Kelly didn't manage the game well in SB XXV.

The Bills offense had the ball for 19 minutes...scored 17 points and 370 yards of offense....I think he managed well with the amount of time they had the ball....Reed doesn't drop an easy 3rd pass when wide open......

The Bills offense had the ball for 19 minutes...scored 17 points and 370 yards of offense....I think he managed well with the amount of time they had the ball....Reed doesn't drop an easy 3rd pass when wide open......

Don't care about any of that. Thurman Thomas should have had far more than 15 carries again a 2 DL front.

I am a die hard Jim Kelly fan. I became a Bills fan when he finally joined, and he and I have had the same Cancer. That said... its a Push. If you could combine certain aspects of the two, you would have literally had THE perfect QB.

Don't care about any of that. Thurman Thomas should have had far more than 15 carries again a 2 DL front.

Can you guys quit bitching about that BS already? We got to the superbowl doing what we did. Billy B came up with one of the most off the wall, and brilliant, defensive game plans ever to slow us down.

And Jim Kelly and the offense did NOT lose that Superbowl, the Defense did. Go back and watch again objectively. They couldn't tackle or stop the run at all.

I am a die hard Jim Kelly fan. I became a Bills fan when he finally joined, and he and I have had the same Cancer. That said... its a Push. If you could combine certain aspects of the two, you would have literally had THE perfect QB.

Can you guys quit bitching about that BS already? We got to the superbowl doing what we did. Billy B came up with one of the most off the wall, and brilliant, defensive game plans ever to slow us down.

And Jim Kelly and the offense did NOT lose that Superbowl, the Defense did. Go back and watch again objectively. They couldn't tackle or stop the run at all.

They lost as a team and Kelly played a role in it.

I wonder if he would have been so brilliant if he hadn't played the Bills just a few weeks before the regular season ended. I tend to think not.

I would have to agree with the many who said Marino had more talent. But Kelly was the better overall QB without a doubt. The only Stats that matter are the Wins and Losses. Kelly was a better field General than Marino, a total gamer. Many forget that Kelly was calling his own plays in the huddle, especially during the K-Gun Offense. They guy was a master at it. I was surprised that he never went into coaching QB's or the Offense because he had the skills to run one.

Kelly was 3-0 against Marino when it REALLY mattered, killing him each time.

With that said, Marino NEVER had a RB like Thurman (or even Kenneth Davis for that matter), so it's simply an unfair comparison.

Or give Marino TD late in his career, like Elway, and he might have went out on top.

Marino basically had the weight of the entire team on his back throughout his career.

It's pretty unfair to compare Marino with all time greats, cause the other all time greats had much better support.

Marino was a better passer, but if I'm building a team I take Kelly everyday over Marino for the intangibles (heart, leadership, toughness, smarts, team-focused, etc.).

Team focused? You mean like when he was publicly calling out teammates via the media? Give me a break.

Kelly is the greatest Bills qb and a legend in Buffalo. But Marino is an all time great. Do people forget how loaded those Bills teams were? How many HOfers did they have? Those Fins teams kinda sucked minus Marino. He had to carry those teams. There's a reason why the Bills never missed a beat when Reich came in. We were loaded.

Also, there's a lot of revisionist history. Granted I was young but I've researched a lot of Bills history. Kelly almost single handedly destroyed the Bulls before they really got started. He was a terrible leader for his first five years. He also wasn't a very good playoff qb. But we were again so loaded, it didn't matter.

I loved seeing red faced Marino screaming at his teammates when we were killing them. But he is a far superior qb to Kelly. That said, they are both HOFers and both teams haven't come close to seeing qbs like that. I took that for granted.

Saw them play head to head several times. It wasn't even close. Kelly was clearly the better QB.

With all due respect, I think the Bills winning has clouded your memory. Kelly had a great game against them in a wildcard game. In an afc championship game, Kelly barely completed 50% of his passes for less than 200 yards, had 1 td & 2 INTs, and we won. Could you imagine the Fins winning if Marino did that?

Kelly had 21 tds and 28 INTs in the playoffs. He was far from a money qb. We were so loaded it didn't matter.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00/gamelog/post/

3 all time greats from the 1983 draft, can't go wrong with any of them.

I'd rank them Elway->Marino->Kelly, but the gap between each is tiny.

I do think that Kelly played with the most talent throughout his entire career. Marino did the most with less. Elway went out on top like few players ever get the chance to do, that was special.

Eric Dickerson and Bruce Matthews from that draft too, incredible.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

3 all time greats from the 1983 draft, can't go wrong with any of them.

I'd rank them Elway->Marino->Kelly, but the gap between each is tiny.

I do think that Kelly played with the most talent throughout his entire career out of the three. Marino did the most with less. Elway personified "gamer" in my eyes.

Eric Dickerson and Bruce Matthews from that draft too, incredible.

Personally, I think Elway is the best qb of my lifetime. The stats will never beat it out but those Denver teams he took to the SB early in his career might be the least talented offensive teams ever. He was so clutch.