Have you ever rooted for the Pats to win a SuperBowl?

Until the '01 Super Bowl, I always pitied the Pats franchise. Back in the pre-Brady days, the Bills owned them - so I had no problem rooting for them as an underdog in the Rams game.

For several years I would even say I was happy for them, as an objective sports fan; they were simply a team that emerged from decades of despair to become a dynasty.

But then I moved to Maine and experienced the full brunt of Pats-fan douchehood. The love is gone now.

Edited by skibum

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never root for any team in the SB unless it's the Bills. I just like football and want to see a good game. The Pats are an excellent, entertaining team and I generally enjoy watching them and hoping the other team pulls it out at the end.

In the Rams game I specifically remember the Pats getting the ball back with just a little time on the clock in a tie game, and Madden saying they were going to play for OT and hope for the best there. Screw that. They went for it and won the game. That was exciting, and I thought, well good for them for playing to win. Honestly out of all the SBs, the most exciting ones were the Bills vs Giants, the Pats vs Rams, the Pats vs Giants, the Pats vs Seahawks, and the Pats vs Falcons. I am not happy for their success but since the Bills aren't playing I'm secure enough to sit back and enjoy the competition.

I live in NE and I had a SB party in 01 for a bunch of work friends for a job I had just started. I rooted for them pretty hard and was genuinely happy for them. Now they are all super arrogant and I could not hate the Pats more but its hard to blame them.

Nope. Always actively rooting against them, but never surprised when they pull miracles out they bums like this last Super Bowl. I remember texting a friend after it was 28-3, he said, "Man, it's over now." I said, "Yeah but it's the Pats." He said, "Still, 25 points is nearly insurmountable for any team, even the Pats." I wanted to believe... we all know how that ended up.

Didn't root for them against the Giants. But I would have been happy to have an undefeated team to shut the Dolphins up. What New England did in 2007 is far superior to the Dolphins season even with the loss.

I'm glad you brought that up. I detest the 72 Fins, and hope somebody goes undefeated before all those old bastards die. Their sole mission in life now is to root for another team to lose.

Other than that, I root against the Pats every time. I respect Brady and the coach, but I've had enough.

Guest NeckBeard

With money on the line (I'd placed a bet on the SB, and betting is something I rarely ever do), I'd bet on the Pats. I wasn't putting a dime on Mike Martz.

With money on the line (I'd placed a bet on the SB, and betting is something I rarely ever do), I'd bet on the Pats. I wasn't putting a dime on Mike Martz.

This is the only acceptable reason to root for a NE SB win - if you bet money.

Guest NeckBeard

It was a close call when they played Seattle, but I'd have to say never.

Yes indeed, and I say this as someone who really dislikes both of those teams, but for different reasons. Still, a Pats' loss would've been far more delightful.

This is the only acceptable reason to root for a NE SB win - if you bet money.

Yup. So, that year, some friends made a pool, and all but two of us thought that the Rams were going to win it. The two of us who'd felt that the Pats were going to win that SB? Bills fans. That matchup reminded us a ton of SB XXV.

Edited by NeckBeard

Nope. Not even their first superbowl when Brady was starting. I wanted Rams to win that one. Because Rams were entertaining. And it turns out Pats cheated Rams of that superbowl. And not in ANY superbowl. I really enjoyed the Giants beating them in every superbowl.

Edited by CanadianFan

Admittedly in 2001 I did versus the Rams because they were the underdogs. I regret it now.

1985/86 season versus the Bears - they were so cocky and arrogant- I was hoping somehow for an upset.

For the recent run - not really - I liked Drew Bledsoe as QB, but once Brady took over - I have hoped for utter failure ever since.