What would you trade for Phil Rivers right now?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving aside the fact that it is basically impossible.....

Would I as a fan? Sure. I do think with Rivers under centre we would be a playoff team this year and in a weak AFC (aside from New England) I'd give us a real shot at making the Championship game.

Would I if I put myself in Brandon Beane's shoes? No. His job is to build a sustainable franchise that can compete for the long term. Not to do what the Vikings did the first Brett Favre year and make the AFC Championship game only to follow that with 4 losing seasons in the next 5 as they scrambled back to any kind of healthy cap position.

This team feels like it will improve in every area except QB. The talent we have at QB will be our limiting factor of why we don't make the playoffs.

I don't see TT excelling in this offence. I'm not expecting big things this year but I do expect to see an improved defense and a better coached team overall. I think Taylor will be gone after this year but at least we are in good shape to make a move on a QB next year.

Rivers is overrated. He is a good QB that was surrounded by a ton of talent in his early days in SD. Those SD teams were loaded on both sides of the ball and still could not get it done in the playoffs. Plus, Tomlinson was the engine that made that offense tick when they were good. Rivers was 46-18 playing with Tomlinson. Since Tomlinson left SD, Rivers is 51-61. He also earns 20m per year and is the least mobile qb in the NFL. Brady has slightly improved in this area while Rivers has become Bledsoe 2.0 in the pocket. Way too many turnovers and Rivers is so good that he lost to the Browns last year who should have been 0-16. This is a classic sucker trade because Rivers has the big name while Taylor has received more than his share of blame. In reality, Taylor will outproduce Rivers on the field in 2017 and still cost less. And by outproduce, I mean his overall passing/rushing and ball security will surpass what Rivers puts up. Rivers will still put up big passing numbers, especially early in the season as he always does. He is not a bad fantasy qb to have but I would not want him as my actual qb in 2017 with his inflated salary.

ok. i'll play along in this very unlikely scenario.

Rivers is an absolute stud.

his Cap Hits are very reasonable 2017@$20 mil, 2018 @ $21 mil & 2019 @ $22 mil.

he will play another 5 years.

I'd give up BOTH first round picks in 2018 for him in a heartbeat.

From everything I hear about Phillip Rivers, he would probably retire before coming to the Northeast. Especially Buffalo.

Most likely and him turning 36 years old this year does not help the cause for Buffalo to reach out. He already struggles with the same mess of a team that the Bills do.

Under Marrone and our top 5 D a few years back it would have been perfect to have him to replace Rico.

Now, not so much and not worth the high price it would cost to acquire a rental franchise guy for a couple years.

We need to find our own shiny toy.

Edited by Real McCoy

Topic title.

If we sign Maclin, our offense will look like:

LT Glenn

LG Incognito

C Wood

RG Miller

RT Dawkins

FB Dimarco

RB1 Shady

RB2 JWill

TE1 Clay

TE2 O'Leary

WR1Watkins

WR2 Maclin

WR3-5 Jones/Holmes/Brown

QB Tyrod Taylor.

Healthy, the only thing that is going to hold back this offense from being insanely prolific is the QB. Would you be willing to gamble on health to get a QB like Rivers and make a SB run over this year and next? Say TT and a 1st for Rivers? TT and 2 1sts?

What'd be your price?

I busted helmet and an empty roll of ankle tape.

no wait! Two empty rolls of ankle tape.

Why on earth would anyone want an average QB whose best seasons are several years in the past?

TT and 3 1sts doesn't get a nibble?

I am kind of half kidding that Rodgers is more attainable. Neither are attainable. Rivers has a no trade clause, a dozen kids, has made over $100M and is in his mid 30's. Why exactly do we think trading a solid starter (albeit not as good as Rivers) & 3 first round picks for him is a good idea? My guess is the Chargers would jump at it and Rivers would decide to retire. That is WAY more likely than the scenario that you present.

Nothing...... He's not worth the cost it would take to obtain him. We would have ot mortgage the present and the future.

Plus he is a cold weather puss

You don't think Rivers, coming off one of his worst years in his career, on a Chargers team that hasn't won more than 5 games in the last two years, is more attainable than Aaron Rodgers?

It is somewhat reasonable. You could have also added that maybe Lynn really like TT and thinks he could make it work in LA.

That said, no team trades a franchise qb unless there are crazy circumstances. If a team is willing to trade a qb, either they don't believe in them or they have a better alternative.

Rivers is a short term plug at best. How many productive years does he even have left? I know a lot you pollyannas think Rivers will come in as some kind of savior and repopulate Niagara County by himself, but reversing the demographics trend that began 50 years ago is bigger than just one ultra fertile man. This is really more of a public policy issue.

They need somebody. We certainly can't keep him.

3 1sts ain't so bad when we have an extra 1 already.

I'm not trying to be condescending so I apologize if it comes across as such. Do you really think it's a good idea to trade a solid starter and 3 1st's for a QB that turns 36 during the season? Do you really think that he will pack up his dozen kids and move across the country? I like Rivers more than most people but there is a 0.0% chance of this happening and if the Bills made that offer that would be CRUCIFIED by the media.

I'm not trying to be condescending so I apologize if it comes across as such. Do you really think it's a good idea to trade a solid starter and 3 1st's for a QB that turns 36 during the season? Do you really think that he will pack up his dozen kids and move across the country? I like Rivers more than most people but there is a 0.0% chance of this happening and if the Bills made that offer that would be CRUCIFIED by the media.

He is intitled to his opinion Kirby...:P

Question for the TBD'ers... how many times has the Rivers subject come up?

This must be the 10th, naw make that 20th Rivers for Taylor thread.

yep and every time I say he has a No trade clause. And that he's not going to be traded. Ever. He is not waiving it. He would rather retire than go elsewhere. But yet... Edited by YoloinOhio

Does he want to come here?? He has 8 kids... and has lived in SOCAL since what 2004?

He also has a full no trade clause.. LA is what 2 hours from SD? How far is Buffalo?

4 hrs 50 min or approx. equal to drive time between SD and LA with traffic.

Edited by cba fan

They need somebody. We certainly can't keep him.

3 1sts ain't so bad when we have an extra 1 already.

3 -- 1st round picks for a QB that might (if that) have 3 years left in his career is 100% a horrible move. If we were talking Rivers in his late 20's then maybe. If your going to go ballz out for a QB like that, make it someone who will play for 10 years at least. The only guy that is reasonable to that metric is Cousins whom Washington does not know what they have, they are still mentally broken from RG3 or something.

Edited by Real McCoy