17 members of Bills scouting staff fired.

JM2009

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good.

I usually try not to be overly sensitive here but this is beyond appalling. I know many of these people and they have wives and kids. They are good people. It's part of the business but to celebrate them losing their jobs is disgusting. These are guys that have to go home and tell their spouses that they no longer have a job. They aren't rich by any means and did their best to improve the team. There were hits and there were misses. It is a part of the business but an awful part (not one to be celebrated). Stay classy Edited by Kirby Jackson

Good.

Have the scouts been bad all of a sudden?

I mean, the team's recently been talented enough to have a top 10 D and then a top 10 offense. Meanwhile, they have inconsistent and bad coaches.

We'll have to wait and see how the new scouts do.

I usually try not to be overly sensitive here but this is beyond appalling. I know many of these people and they have wives and kids. They are good people. It's part of the business but to celebrate them losing their jobs is disgusting. These are guys that have to go home and tell their spouses that they no longer have a job. They aren't rich by any means and did their best to improve the team. Their were hits and there were misses. It is a part of the business but an awful part (not one to be celebrated). Stay classy

Yup, no celebrating unless it was really worth it, and it isn't for these folks.

But that's sports, produce wins or get fired, and this went on way too long putting up with failure.

Have the scouts been bad all of a sudden?

I mean, the team's recently been talented enough to have a top 10 D and then a top 10 offense. Meanwhile, they have inconsistent and bad coaches.

We'll have to wait and see how the new scouts do.

scouts are typically dismissed along with the GM. Tough business. Edited by YoloinOhio

I usually try not to be overly sensitive here but this is beyond appalling. I know many of these people and they have wives and kids. They are good people. It's part of the business but to celebrate them losing their jobs is disgusting. These are guys that have to go home and tell their spouses that they no longer have a job. They aren't rich by any means and did their best to improve the team. Their were hits and there were misses. It is a part of the business but an awful part (not one to be celebrated). Stay classy

Kirby:

...sadly I'd bet many of these folks were loyal RW era holdovers who felt firmly entrenched in the jobs.....at the same time, look at the vitriol here about organizational dysfunction in the media for how long?..think these folks were proud to say where they worked?....so they hung on as long as they could hoping the public perception would change whereby they could proudly say once again, "I work for the Buffalo Bills".....even after the major housecleaning, do those that remain know if and when they can say proudly, "I work for the Buffalo Bills".....uncertainty sucks but stay tuned............

Kirby:

...sadly I'd bet many of these folks were loyal RW era holdovers who felt firmly entrenched in the jobs.....at the same time, look at the vitriol here about organizational dysfunction in the media for how long?..think these folks were proud to say where they worked?....so they hung on as long as they could hoping the public perception would change whereby they could proudly say once again, "I work for the Buffalo Bills".....even after the major housecleaning, do those that remain know if and when they can say proudly, "I work for the Buffalo Bills".....uncertainty sucks but stay tuned............

I don't think anyone ever tried to do anything but what they believed was in the best interest of the Bills. Some had been there longer than others and it is a part of the business. These people were very proud to represent the Buffalo Bills and wanted nothing more than to turn it around. I'm taking issue with some celebrating people losing their jobs. It is classless Edited by Kirby Jackson

Kirby, 17 years more misses than hits. If they worked normal jobs, they would have been fired long ago

These aren't people that have been there for 17 years. These are people making like $60k a year in some cases. You don't celebrate what those families are now going through. It was a total lack of class on your part.

I don't think anyone ever tried to do anything but what they believed was in the best interest of the Bills. Some had been there longer than others and it is a part of the business. These people were very proud to represent the Buffalo Bills and wanted nothing more than to turn it around. I'm taking issue with some celebrating people losing their jobs. It is classless

Agreed. Classless and lack of compassion often go together.

Must be hard to scout for a team that changes their offensive and defensive philosophy every 2 years:(

That said didn't Pegs say Coach McD would be a long term 10-15 yrs type hire?

Maybe they are turning the whole organization in that direction.

scouts are typically dismissed along with the GM. Tough business.

It's a shame. Like any profession, out of the 17 there will be some that are better at their job than others. Surely they are evaluated, and decisions could be made on their performance likein a 'real' job. Seems like such a waste to have to start from nothing.

No one can know how good or bad any of the scouts were. They didn't make the decisions, just provided their perspective and info.

These decisions have everything to do with Pegula wanting his own people, and giving the new GM free reign to hire his own scouts. Perhaps some of them will end up being rehired.

Also, the firing of Whaley, forget if he was good or bad...Pegula wants to pick his own man.

scouts are typically dismissed along with the GM. Tough business.

Exactly. It's not something to celebrate but it's all part of the business. It doesn't get much more bottom line orientated than an NFL front office. It's all measured in wins and losses, nothing more and nothing less. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I don't think anyone ever tried to do anything but what they believed was in the best interest of the Bills. Some had been there longer than others and it is a part of the business. These people were very proud to represent the Buffalo Bills and wanted nothing more than to turn it around. I'm taking issue with some celebrating people losing their jobs. It is classless

I've disagreed with you a lot on this board, Kirby. But not on this. You're spot on. I'll celebrate Whaley's departure a bit. He's getting paid large for subpar performance. Wish he'd have been worth his contract. But I take no joy in what's happening with the rank and file scouts. Had Whaley done a better job, then maybe this wouldn't be happening to them.

These aren't people that have been there for 17 years. These are people making like $60k a year in some cases. You don't celebrate what those families are now going through. It was a total lack of class on your part.

As are many of his posts. Nothing new. Classless for sure

I've disagreed with you a lot on this board, Kirby. But not on this. You're spot on. I'll celebrate Whaley's departure a bit. He's getting paid large for subpar performance. Wish he'd have been worth his contract. But I take no joy in what's happening with the rank and file scouts. Had Whaley done a better job, then maybe this wouldn't be happening to them.

Had Pegula not hired Rex, Whaley would still have a job. One horrendous head coach hiring by the owner and Whaleys inability to secure a franchise qb was his demise Edited by NewEra

Could not agree more. No one here knows the specifics about performance of any of these individuals. When organizations fail, it is the fault of management. Period. For people to jump to conclusions about average people who are doing their jobs, is sad. It seems to me the better approach would have been to allow the new GM to pick and choose who from the old staff were worth keeping and who did not fit going forward. Pay them in the interim. I do not like this part of today's move, although I do think Whaley has run his course here.

I was going to say end the thread right here....

Jim Monos is going to be a very good GM on day.

...but then figured this should be kept as well.

I usually try not to be overly sensitive here but this is beyond appalling. I know many of these people and they have wives and kids. They are good people. It's part of the business but to celebrate them losing their jobs is disgusting. These are guys that have to go home and tell their spouses that they no longer have a job. They aren't rich by any means and did their best to improve the team. There were hits and there were misses. It is a part of the business but an awful part (not one to be celebrated). Stay classy

This. It sucks to read in the paper about a loved one getting fired. Even if it's a part of the business. I've been there, and I feel for the families of those affected by what happened today.

scouting staffs are outdated in the age of analytics websites

Not so fast there sport.........talent is judged "on the hoof" ultimately. And NO fancy algorithym can replace human judgement. Sorry your world view is so techie.....

My view on the mass firing.....makes little sense......imho. Building an organization takes time.....and I would think the new GM ought to have the right to retain those who he would like to retain. New from the ground up is a management failing. Fielding the team...THE SCOUTING TEAM can be as challenging as fielding the team of football players. This would be considered poor management in the corporate world in which I spent my career.

Edited by bigK14094

Had Pegula not hired Rex, Whaley would still have a job. One horrendous head coach hiring by the owner and Whaleys inability to secure a franchise qb was his demise

A FQB certainly might've saved him and Rex sure didn't help, but he didn't help himself in a lot of ways either. Had he been running a tighter ship and made some better decisions he might still be here. He had a lot of missteps beyond what was forced on him.

I feel that the Rex clown show is responsible for many of the events today.

The blame should be shared between Brandon telling Pegula on how to hire a coach (don't have any preconceived notions, you'll just know when you have the right one) and the Pegula's for hiring Rex instead of letting the GM [Whaley] be the one that hired the coach. Constantly switching coaching schemes and not having the right personnel to run those schemes doomed this team.