Who's good with OJ Howard at 10?

njbuff

I’m shocked at how many Bills fans are advocating taking a positional player over QB at #10. It’s as if the Bills franchise were a house with a cracked foundation, and fans are fine with putting in a brand new tricked out kitchen.
Are fans feeling really good with a bottom 20 QB like Taylor? If not, exactly where is the future Bills franchise QB coming from if not the draft? Do you not realize that YOU ARE NOTHING without a QB in the NFL?
In another thread I laid out how many teams with aging QBs will be jumping into the “drafting a QB” game both this year and next year. Bills fans should be frightened by the prospect of the Bills not taking a QB at #10. The QB landscape is going to get very ugly, very quickly in this league with about 12 teams looking for franchise QBs. It’s already started this year by how many of the aging QB teams are actively looking over this year’s QB prospects.
Forget the "big board" rankings, draft a QB.

According to my guy the Bills scouts are high on this kid out of Wyoming who fits the current coordinator's offense to a T, Josh Allen. Was questionable to come out this year and ended up staying in school for another year. Wouldn't have been surprised if he came out and the Bills pushed for him this year, but he went back to school.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be Billsy to take a TE and attempt to replicate what other teams are now doing. Billsy, because they'd have done it by using a high 1st and big UFA dollars.

So many fans said offense wasn't (EDIT:their) problem last year, but cited the defense. And right now, their secondary depth, starting LBs, and DE depth is more of a priority. This team doesn't have the luxury of taking a TE in the top half of the first round. Hasn't stopped the front office from doing it.

This time around it wouldn't be so Billsy to take someone where it is perceived that the team doesn't have a need.

The universal thought is that this kid is an absolute beast and he might not even make it to ten anyways. That's how highly thought of that this kid is in NFL circles.

I remember when the Giants took Carl Banks third overall in 84 when they already had Van Pelt and LT manning the OLB spots. Point being, if this kid is that great a talent, you have to forget more pressing needs and take the best player available in the first round.

Even with this Howard talk.........

I do like Mike Williams or Corey Davis.

I wonder if the Bills DO go QB at 10 though. That would turn this fan base upside down and opinions will be thru the roof.

Mahomes at 10? Now that would be a shocker.

I wouldn't hate it at all, but it would be a shocker.

It also means Taylor will be playing for his football life and we might see the very best out of Taylor. Who knows.

....gotta love it....50% of the masses will be affectionately rubbing Whaley;s head like a genie for a QB pick at #10 and the other 50% will be calling for his head.....projected popcorn sales in WNY are forecasted for a 42% increase on Draft Day....stay tuned....and buy your butter early.....Jesus, wadda show..............

....gotta love it....50% of the masses will be affectionately be rubbing Whaley;s head like a genie for a QB pick at #10 and the other 50% will be calling for his head.....projected popcorn sales in WNY are forecasted for a 42% increase on Draft Day....stay tuned....and buy your butter early.....Jesus, wadda show..............

Mahomes at 10? Now that would be a shocker.

I wouldn't hate it at all, but it would be a shocker.

It also means Taylor will be playing for his football life and we might see the very best out of Taylor. Who knows.

I think it would be the perfect situation. Taylor can start for the next two years while Mahomes develops. In two years time, Brady will be gone and the AFC East will be the battle of Garappalo vs Mahomes, maybe even Darnold if the Jets have the #1 pick next year.

I think it would be the perfect situation. Taylor can start for the next two years while Mahomes develops. In two years time, Brady will be gone and the AFC East will be the battle of Garappalo vs Mahomes, maybe even Darnold if the Jets have the #1 pick next year.

The 10th overall pick, even if it is a QB, should start. Otherwise, it's a complete waste.

According to my guy the Bills scouts are high on this kid out of Wyoming who fits the current coordinator's offense to a T, Josh Allen. Was questionable to come out this year and ended up staying in school for another year. Wouldn't have been surprised if he came out and the Bills pushed for him this year, but he went back to school.

Allen will be one of the top 3 QBs next season as it currently appears.

The 10th overall pick, even if it is a QB, should start. Otherwise, it's a complete waste.

Says who? There are no rules if you don't have a franchise QB. The league has become a game that you only win when you find a franchise QB. If you don't have one, you're the NFL's version of wallpaper.

You have to keep drafting QBs and the best odds are the ones drafted with a high pick. It's so random, so you just have to keep doing it until you find the guy.

Bills have a QB who seems to have trouble finding his TE-- especially over the middle.

You could trade back a bit and get Mahomes. I'm not sure how far his stock has risen, though.

QB Logan Thomas is listed as a TE already on the Buffalo Bills website, he was a highly recruited TE coming into VT and transitioned into a QB, he can be an all pro TE for sure with the right coach, Clay, Thomas, O'leary seem good to me, I like Howard but it would seem more of a luxury pick than a good selection imo. Were thin at WR and CB both of which we go in the 1st or 2nd imo, either Lattimore/Davis or Williams round 1 or Zay Jones, Chris Godwin, Tankersly etc in the 2nd.

I’m shocked at how many Bills fans are advocating taking a positional player over QB at #10. It’s as if the Bills franchise were a house with a cracked foundation, and fans are fine with putting in a brand new tricked out kitchen.
Are fans feeling really good with a bottom 20 QB like Taylor? If not, exactly where is the future Bills franchise QB coming from if not the draft? Do you not realize that YOU ARE NOTHING without a QB in the NFL?
In another thread I laid out how many teams with aging QBs will be jumping into the “drafting a QB” game both this year and next year. Bills fans should be frightened by the prospect of the Bills not taking a QB at #10. The QB landscape is going to get very ugly, very quickly in this league with about 12 teams looking for franchise QBs. It’s already started this year by how many of the aging QB teams are actively looking over this year’s QB prospects.

There isn't a single QB in this year's draft that projects to be any better than Taylor for the next two years, which is the committed portion of his contract. And if you take a QB at 10 your committed to him for at least the following draft or two which could have much richer QB crops. This is the exact kind of thinking that led to the Bills Drafting EJ Manuel in a weak year, and then missing out on potential franchise signal callers in the following drafts that were right there for the taking. I agree that the team needs to be taking more QB's than it has in the past, but what you are advocating for would actually prevent that from happening.

Im shocked at how many Bills fans are advocating taking a positional player over QB at #10. Its as if the Bills franchise were a house with a cracked foundation, and fans are fine with putting in a brand new tricked out kitchen.

In another thread I laid out how many teams with aging QBs will be jumping into the drafting a QB game both this year and next year. Bills fans should be frightened by the prospect of the Bills not taking a QB at #10. The QB landscape is going to get very ugly, very quickly in this league with about 12 teams looking for franchise QBs. Its already started this year by how many of the aging QB teams are actively looking over this years QB prospects.

Or maybe those people are ok with the FO selecting they player they think will help the team the most in the long run. According to many "experts" none of the QBs in this draft deserve a 1st rd grade. As much as I think I know, the Bills FO knows more than I do know

There isn't a single QB in this year's draft that projects to be any better than Taylor for the next two years, which is the committed portion of his contract. And if you take a QB at 10 your committed to him for at least the following draft or two which could have much richer QB crops. This is the exact kind of thinking that led to the Bills Drafting EJ Manuel in a weak year, and then missing out on potential franchise signal callers in the following drafts that were right there for the taking. I agree that the team needs to be taking more QB's than it has in the past, but what you are advocating for would actually prevent that from happening.

Welcome!
Throw the rules out. Don’t let past decisions on QBs (EJ), haunt the present. Finding franchise QBs is about the most random thing in the NFL. However, the thing about it being so random is that you have to actually be involved in the game for it to pay off.
I think the new rule should be that, if you don’t have a franchise QB, it’s ok to draft a QB with a high pick in two consecutive drafts. I think that fans can’t see the forrest through the trees here when it comes to this topic. The Bills have been a totally lost franchise since Kelly left the stage. There will be five more teams (on top of the 6 or 7 we already know) jumping into the QB race within these next two drafts because of aging QBs.
Picking a tight end, or a safety, or pick another meaningless position player (who will eventually leave like Gilmore) at #10 that won’t matter until they find a QB.

Or maybe those people are ok with the FO selecting they player they think will help the team the most in the long run. According to many "experts" none of the QBs in this draft deserve a 1st rd grade. As much as I think I know, the Bills FO knows more than I do know

It's been said that the Bills liked Dak Prescott, but they thought the third round was too rich. That was dumb. The same thing happened when they wanted Russell Wilson, but thought he'd be there in the fourth round and they drafted TJ Graham instead. That was dumb. Why are fans so "whatever" about this stuff?

The Bills are making a habit of missing out on franchise QBs when they have been in dire need of one for forever now. The Bills FO needs to just take the QB they want even if that means taking a guy that's rated a 2nd rounder at #10. I have no problem what-so-ever at all with them doing that.

I think a WR or CB makes sense at #10. I do like Howard though. maybe a trade back if possible and pick Howard.

OJ Howard is the perfect pick but only if we trade back 4-5 slots. He'd be an amazing tight end to have but we have to be committed to throwing more. Remember Sammy's out there waving his arms just praying somebody throws him the ball. So whether we go with OJ Howard or Corey Davis, we better commit to them in this Dennison offense.

If we could find a 6'-6" WR that ran a 4.5, weighed 220 and could block and catch, everyone would think we got the next Antoine Boldin or Andre Johnson.

That he weighs 255 and his position initials are TE and not WR people think we should pass on him?

Absurd. He's as close to Gronk as anyone in the draft.

Adding his size and ability to the offense immediately make Tyrod, the run game, 3rd and long and the red zone passing games better.

Edited by jumbalaya

What round is Butt projected to go in? Will he be ready to play next year with his injury???

It's almost better to be an injured first round guy? At least you get that 5th year option. He's not that, but he might be a good option for us. Intriguing.

I think a WR or CB makes sense at #10. I do like Howard though. maybe a trade back if possible and pick Howard.

Howard would be a matchup nightmare...he plays faster than he runs a 40, which is the most important thing...he explodes down the field...he has the potential to be a great one...perhaps even Gronk like if he puts it all together

Mahomes is my first choice, if he's not there then Watson, if he's not there then we can talk about a positional player at #10.

I like Mahomes, but he is an unbelievable reach at 10. The guy is 2 years away from starting

It's been said that the Bills liked Dak Prescott, but they thought the third round was too rich. That was dumb. The same thing happened when they wanted Russell Wilson, but thought he'd be there in the fourth round and they drafted TJ Graham instead. That was dumb. Why are fans so "whatever" about this stuff?

The Bills are making a habit of missing out on franchise QBs when they have been in dire need of one for forever now. The Bills FO needs to just take the QB they want even if that means taking a guy that's rated a 2nd rounder at #10. I have no problem what-so-ever at all with them doing that.

Its also been pointed out that if the Cowboys actually knew what they were getting in Dak they wouldnt have waited until the 4th. They also thought the 3rd round was too rich for him.

Mahomes is my first choice, if he's not there then Watson, if he's not there then we can talk about a positional player at #10.

IF Mahomes is there at 10?! If he's gone before out pick in the second I will be shocked. This idea is so terrible you managed to hijack a thread about a TE.

IF Mahomes is there at 10?! If he's gone before out pick in the second I will be shocked. This idea is so terrible you managed to hijack a thread about a TE.

I see him going to Chicago at 36 or the 49ers at 34. He isnt a day 1 starter, and it makes a lot of sense to have him sit behind Glennon or Hoyer, both of whom are on 2/3 year deals. They are servicable not good, but are ok enough to allow him to sit

Edited by Mountain Man

Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller, citing a scouting contact associated with the Bills, says that the team loves Howard as a player.

Take that how you will, but there really are a bunch of aspects to Howard’s game that teams would love. First and foremost,

Howards has the size that teams covet at that position (6’6”, 251 lbs), and he has speed that will make them drool (4.51 40-yard dash).

He played four years for Nick Saban at Alabama, and with their run-heavy offense, teams can be assured Howard can hold his own when blocking in the trenches.

Edited by ALF

Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller, citing a scouting contact associated with the Bills, says that the team loves Howard as a player.
Take that how you will, but there really are a bunch of aspects to Howard’s game that teams would love. First and foremost,
Howards has the size that teams covet at that position (6’6”, 251 lbs), and he has speed that will make them drool (4.51 40-yard dash).
He played four years for Nick Saban at Alabama, and with their run-heavy offense, teams can be assured Howard can hold his own when blocking in the trenches.

....but with the amount of resources already invested in TE spot, can you afford even more as in #10 pick?................

I would be ok with OJ Howard at #10. He will be a matchup nightmare in this league. You can put him in line or split him out. He can block as well. You put him and Clay on the field together? Let the mismatches begin. Howard at #10, WR in the 2nd, and S in the 3rd.

nice. Appreciate the insight. BillinNYC's head might explode with this news though of targeting a DB in the 1st.

Well, Bill does need a new whipping boy now that his tried and true favorite is off to Foxboro :D

This is a scheme that got solid production out of Tony Scheffler, Owen Daniels and Joel Dreessen in the past. Spending #10 on a backup tight end would be bonkers.

Solid production doesn't equate to game-breaking ability. Teams want game-breakers.

i would be happy with him at 10. i have never seen him play, but i like the idea of a big, fast TE to put on the field. but i only like this idea if we are going to have an offense that is going to pass the ball a lot. if we are a run heavy offense this pick would just make me incredibly mad, because of the lack of use.

Solid production doesn't equate to game-breaking ability. Teams want game-breakers.

We already have a #1 TE that can be that if he's given the ammunition to do so. We're also paying that guy $9m per year to be 'the guy', you're kidding yourself if you think that anyone is coming in and taking a lead role ahead of Clay in the foreseeable future.

Totally agree with this... You have to take a chance or you will NEVER get a franchise QB... There will always be another supposedly "sure thing" positional player that you would like to have (Alot of them bust too!)... QB is THE MOST IMPORTANT position on the team by far... Most QB's are not ready to play their 1st year in the NFL... Troy Aikman absolutely sucked in his rookie year just to name one who turned out OK in the long run... Nothing sacrificed - nothing gained...

I would feel a lot better about the pick if Taylor could hit his TE over the middle...perhaps the new offense will force him to do this AND throw in rhythm...if he can't, we will hopefully be drafting a guy who can.

This. Clay was open a plenty. TT just can't get the ball to him unless it's a sideline throw. Why burn pick 10 on weapon our QB can't see or take advantage of due to his limitations as a QB?