njbuff

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6-6 250lbs

4.50 40yd

Best stats were in big games.

Under utilized in run heavy system. Could've put up better numbers. Comes from winning program.

I think he's a legit option. Tons of WRs and DBs later on. Deep.

I think the Bills hope to trade down from 10 and are leaking the "Whaley loves OJ Howard" stuff to spark interest from a team who wants him to trade up to get him. This is the 2nd time this has been reported by a national media draft guy - the first time was at the Senior Bowl. He's one of the elite talents in the draft. However I don't think the Bills have the luxury to take him and moreso need an extra 2nd rd pick, therefore would trade down in order to try to grab 3 players in the first 2 rounds, and possibly recoup their 4th as well depending on how far up the partner team is trading.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I am a fan of OJ Howard and have seen every game in which he has appeared. He has fresh legs because there were always so many weapons on the Tide that he wasn't used an awful lot. He is big, fast, gets open and has very good hands. His blocking continues to improve as well.

Despite the above, #10 is a tad early imo. If a solid, playoff team thinks it needs a TE to get to the next level I would understand. The Bills have too many needs to take a TE that early.

I also don't think he will go that soon. Probably between 15 and 25 but of course I am just guessing.

There's a real possibility that Adams, Hooker, Foster, Allen and Lattimore are all of the board at ten (I hope not,but they might be) so Howard could really be BPA along with Davis.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that all of those guys are gone by the 10th pick.

Howard has talent, but we already have one tight end who we under utilize so I don't see the logic in adding another one with the 10th overall pick. This draft is super deep at TE, so we can find a complimentary piece in the mid to late rounds.

What we need is a wide receiver. We have Sammy Watkins and then a bunch of camp fodder behind him.

If Watkins gets hurt, our passing game is completely screwed.

Edited by jrober38

Drafting another receiving threat with a top 10 pick, without a QB who can throw the ball, is a complete waste of a pick. i.e. Sammy Watkins

In 2015 when Watkins was actually healthy Taylor had no problem getting him the ball.

You mean that whopping 60 catch season he had?

That's right. 60 catches in 13 games for 1,047 yards and 9 TDs.

Extrapolate those numbers over a 16 game season and you're looking at 74 catches, 1,288 yards and 11 TDs.

Edited by jrober38

No, Bills fans want another tight end that Tyrod won't throw to.

I don't think you can say that we're set at TE with clay - the depth behind him is very lacking. So lacking that we used Groy/Kounadjo as a 6th o-lineman an alarming amount in non-short yardage situations. As of right now we don't have a ton of red-zone contributors.

I get what you're saying that if you love mahomes you take him etc - but if you're trying to make the playoffs this year he doesn't help you in the slightest. I say draft him if he's like... leaps and bounds at the top of your draft board, however if he isn't I don't think you can avoid glaring holes to grab a 3rd QB in the first. Especially if a top end talented safety, corner, WR, or TE is there.

If Tyrod isn't the QB of the future - why does it matter how Tyrod will use him? He won't even be the QB for more than a year or two.

That's right. 60 catches in 13 games for 1,047 yards and 9 TDs.

Extrapolate those numbers over a 16 game season and you're looking at 74 catches, 1,288 yards and 11 TDs.

I don't want to hear about potential stats from the games where Watkins isn't healthy...for the second year in a row. That's all crystal ball stuff. Bottom line...last two years combined...88 catches, and 11 games missed due to injuries.

I don't want to hear about potential stats from the games where Watkins isn't healthy...for the second year in a row. That's all crystal ball stuff. Bottom line...last two years combined...88 catches, and 11 games missed due to injuries.

LOL

Watkins missed 11 games over that span and was at far less than 100% for several others.

It's hard for Taylor to throw him the ball if he's not on the field...

I don't think you can say that we're set at TE with clay - the depth behind him is very lacking. So lacking that we used Groy/Kounadjo as a 6th o-lineman an alarming amount in non-short yardage situations. As of right now we don't have a ton of red-zone contributors.

I get what you're saying that if you love mahomes you take him etc - but if you're trying to make the playoffs this year he doesn't help you in the slightest. I say draft him if he's like... leaps and bounds at the top of your draft board, however if he isn't I don't think you can avoid glaring holes to grab a 3rd QB in the first. Especially if a top end talented safety, corner, WR, or TE is there.

If Tyrod isn't the QB of the future - why does it matter how Tyrod will use him? He won't even be the QB for more than a year or two.

Who says we draft the 3rd QB off the board? I expect Trubisky to go top 5 and Mahomes to be sitting there at 10. I rank Mahomes as QB 1 in this draft so I take him.

I have heard from my sources they're going in the defensive backfield with the first selection. WR is the 3rd and beyond they don't value that as much if a need as the fans do. I would like to see WR being more valued, but according to my sources they are focusing on S/DB.

I hope you're wrong given how very deep DB is supposed to be this year.

TE is deep too though. I wouldn't hate taking Howard though - he seems well beyond the rest.

WR is the position of need and less depth - seems like a no-brainer if one of the top 2 guys gets to them.

catch radius !!!!! tt or wr is what we need at ten especialy with sammy and his history and tyrods arm. then cb second if position is deep ,not a college guy so i got no names but i'm sure some of you do. who would be there at 44? looks like we are gonna need some OL help now but rest of draft should be defense.

Next Greg Olsen. He and Sammy would eat, forget the rest of the WR corp. Sammy, Shady, OJ, Clay and TT present matchup issues. If he's there at 10 and they don't take him, Bills will rue the day they pass on OJ.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I've wanted Davis at 10 even before the combine and all. However the more I read about this kid the more I'm liking him. Huge target, good hands, good blocker. I have to say I would be perfectly fine if Howard is the pick at 10.

I would like either, Davis or Howard at 10 and would consider either a great pick.

Next Greg Olsen. He and Sammy would eat, forget the rest of the WR corp. Sammy, Shady, OJ, Clay and TT present matchup issues. If he's there at 10 and they don't take him, Bills will rue the day they pass on OJ.

Matchup issues indeed. I could actually see us doing what NE*** does with their two TE sets by catching teams in bad sub packages and going up tempo. Play small and we line up tight and run you into the ground; play big to stop the run and we flex both TEs to pressure your coverage packages.

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea.

What are the chances Howard goes before any other pass-catcher and actually goes before 10?

i think Jan could take him before we do. They need a TE or RB, it's either him or Fournette imo. They draft at 4 but could see them trading down from 5-9 and taking one or the others.

Matchup issues indeed. I could actually see us doing what NE*** does with their two TE sets by catching teams in bad sub packages and going up tempo. Play small and we line up tight and run you into the ground; play big to stop the run and we flex both TEs to pressure your coverage packages.

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea.

139042a4157a773f209847829d80894d_500x735

The only thing that concerns me about OJ is his lack of stats at Alabama. 114 catches and 7 td's in FOUR years of college. Different position, I know, but Davis had better stats in his SR year than OJ had over all 4 years. Guessing he was severely underutilized at Alabama??

The only thing that concerns me about OJ is his lack of stats at Alabama. 114 catches and 7 td's in FOUR years of college. Different position, I know, but Davis had better stats in his SR year than OJ had over all 4 years. Guessing he was severely underutilized at Alabama??

yes, he was.