Doug Whaley comments going viral

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard him say it this morning and though the reception went out or I heard it wrong.

I heard him say it this morning also and just thought he was just referring to violent collisions and that sometimes some guys get hurt. I didn't read too much into it.

No doubt it was something odd to say - but I think what he really meant was these players are human and they will most assuredly get hurt playing this violent game. Therefor don't make injuries deem a player injury prone.

I heard him say it this morning also and just thought he was just referring to violent collisions and that sometimes some guys get hurt. I didn't read too much into it.

I dont mind it.... and agree with him. But it isnt something you ever hear a high-ranking NFL employee admit publicly.

I dont mind it.... and agree with him. But it isnt something you ever hear a high-ranking NFL employee admit publicly.

Agreed. And it looks pretty strange to see it in print. IIRC, I think he was kind of laughing/chuckling when he said it.

Then I'm not sure you're a REAL member of TBD :beer:

Also the comments in the article linked in the OP just about covers it for me:

Yes, an NFL general manager said he doesn’t believe humans are supposed to play football. I don’t think he’s saying it to throw out that the NFL should fold and football should be banned forever, just that these athletes are doing things their bodies aren’t made to do, which is more than reasonable.
Edited by Heitz

I can't figure out why people are freaking out about this. He wasn't saying the NFL shouldn't exist. He was saying that the human body was not created to play football. The human body did not evolve for the purpose of playing football. That is all.

Stop with the insults. Whaley isn't an idiot biting the hand that feeds him. Consider the context of the conversation and the rest of what he said.

Jesus, some people are just sitting around waiting for people to screw up so they can pounce. Let it go.

For god's sake journalists suck these days. If you are going to bash someone, and claim they will likely be fired this year, at least do the due diligence and quote the whole damn quote in context.

"If you look at his game log, he's only missed three games. So, is he injury-prone? I wouldn't say that," Whaley said during the interview when asked about the foot injury Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins sustained during the offseason. "Are things going to come up with a guy like this? We hope that gets limited in the future."

Then he kept going when it probably would have been a better idea for him to stop.

"This is the game of football," Whaley added. "Injuries are part of it. It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play. And these things are going to come up.

But no, we will disingeniously (Edit) make a headline to get clicks saying Whaley's position is:

Doug Whaley doesn’t think humans should play football

And go on to claim if he doesn't win the Super Bowl he is a goner. "In other news X player had their 6th surgery and should be ready for the season opener" Journalists are hacks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/24/doug-whaley-doesnt-think-humans-should-play-football/

Edited by What a Tuel

For god's sake journalists suck these days. If you are going to bash someone, and claim they will likely be fired this year, at least do the due diligence and quote the whole damn quote in Journalists are hacks.http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/24/doug-whaley-doesnt-think-humans-should-play-football/

That site in particuliar has gotten pretty weak

Did you guys read this latest statement released by Whaley's agent?

"I regret the comments I made earlier today. Instead of saying that football was not meant to be played by human beings, I meant to say that football was, in fact, meant to be played by human beings. In the future, I will take greater care to ensure that my words are not taken out of context and mischaracterized in such a way again."

That's all it was, but, we won't let anything derail us from having a good hate filled thread.

I can't figure out why people are freaking out about this. He wasn't saying the NFL shouldn't exist. He was saying that the human body was not created to play football. The human body did not evolve for the purpose of playing football. That is all.

Stop with the insults. Whaley isn't an idiot biting the hand that feeds him. Consider the context of the conversation and the rest of what he said.

Jesus, some people are just sitting around waiting for people to screw up so they can pounce. Let it go.

Thank you for the injection of common sense.

That's all it was, but, we won't let anything derail us from having a good hate filled thread.

Looking back then ahead:

1. Absurd conclusion reached
  2. Absurd conclusion amplified on team message board
  3. Absurd conclusion questioned
  4. Questioner = mindless shill, blind to reality

Did you guys read this latest statement released by Whaley's agent?

"I regret the comments I made earlier today. Instead of saying that football was not meant to be played by human beings, I meant to say that football was, in fact, meant to be played by human beings. In the future, I will take greater care to ensure that my words are not taken out of context and mischaracterized in such a way again."

The clown show at OBD has me wondering if this is actually a real quote or just a joke.

He has released another qualifying statement:

"What I actually meant to say is that all humans are cleared to play football by our medical staff. I have complete confidence in that staff. Everyone will be a day one starter. No if something were to happen....."

He has released another qualifying statement:

"What I actually meant to say is that all humans are cleared to play football by our medical staff. I have complete confidence in that staff. Everyone will be a day one starter. No if something were to happen....."

Glad to know Draymond isn't the only one who enjoys kicking people in the nuts!

No doubt it was something odd to say - but I think what he really meant was these players are human and they will most assuredly get hurt playing this violent game. Therefor don't make injuries deem a player injury prone.

Yeah , but you can't criticize and bury the guy if you have a rational reaction to the comments....

What is wrong with the comment? I must be an idiot too.

Oh.

Understanding this comment is not the only test for membership in the club......

:)

Edited by Augie

Intellectually, it makes perfect sense. The human body isn't meant to throw a baseball at 95 MPH or jump out of an airplane either.

But he has to know what a sh#tstorm a comment like that is going to create when all people want to hear is soundbites.

Some media training and/or better in-house PR may be what the doctor ordered.

Intellectually, it makes perfect sense. The human body isn't meant to throw a baseball at 95 MPH or jump out of an airplane either.

But he has to know what a sh#tstorm a comment like that is going to create when all people want to hear is soundbites.

Some media training and/or better in-house PR may be what the doctor ordered.

I have to say when he said it, I wondered if it wouldn't bite him in the azz considering the concussion schittstorm the NFL is going through.