Doug Whaley comments going viral

It's an odd thing for an NFL GM to say.

But obviously the human body didn't evolve to withstand an activity as violent as football. We're not built for that kind of punishment, thus the injuries. It's hard to blame DW for pointing out the obvious.

Are the critics suggesting Whaley should be less forthcoming with his honest opinions and less transparent?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say when he said it, I wondered if it wouldn't bite him in the azz considering the concussion schittstorm the NFL is going through.

Why do I get the sense that the people who are the most outraged about this are the same people outraged by safe-space, microaggression outrage too.

What is wrong with the comment? I must be an idiot too.

It's a statement that one would expect from an anti-NFL group, certainly not someone that works for the league in a high-ranking position like GM.

Doug better be careful, he's going to wind up getting subpoenaed in the next class-action suit against the league. :lol:

Why do I get the sense that the people who are the most outraged about this are the same people outraged by safe-space, microaggression outrage too.

How many folks do you think are truly "outraged," by Whaley's comment?

I think it's not that at all. Naturally all of the ex-players who are now commentators and journalists are going to flame him and defend the game. I'm sure your well versed on the CTE dilemma the league is facing and many believe that puts the future of the game in doubt. So having a high profile NFL employee, 1/32, a general manager whom is in charge of employing Humans to play the game...a misstep like that is not only sloppy I'm sure some in the legal office would say it hurts their cause going forward.

I'm sure we all agree he mix matched words and didn't get his point across the way he intended, but word for word he put something out there that shouldn't be.

Great, now Whaley, who is already a horrible interview, will go further into his shell with more "I'll leave that to you guys to decided" comments. I actually like listening to him because he over thinks (leading to bumbles and misstatements) what he's saying. You can read between the lines with him much easier than other executives who don't parse words like he does.

I was at work all day. I DVR Around the Horn and PTI. Listening to Schopp and his callers I thought Whaley and the Bills were pilloried on those shows.

So I watch them. Half the folks on Around the Horn AGREED with Whaley, and the PTI guys just shrugged their shoulders at the Bills media policy.

I was sold outrage that wasn't even there.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I was at work all day. I DVR Around the Horn and PTI. Listening to Schopp and his callers I thought Whaley and the Bills were pilloried on those shows.

So I watch them. Half the folks on Around the Horn AGREED with Whaley, and the PTI guys just shrugged their shoulders at the Bills media policy.

I was sold outrage that wasn't even there.

The "media" is upset because their access was restricted, even it be only for OTAs. They often try to become apart of the story and they really hate being regulated. Hence, they jumped on an opportunity to lash back.

Whaley words things weirdly sometimes, he always has since he joined.

If he had worded it as "Football is a game humans weren't built to play" there would be zero questions about it.

If that's the worst thing my team's GM does though, I'm completely cool with it.

What is wrong with the comment? I must be an idiot too.

Oh.

No, you are NOT an idiot. The comment was true.

That said, would you be happy that he said this if you owned the team and had billions of dollars that someone could sue you for?

Yeah, I know the game was violent well before he made these comments. But this will be used in court some day, or so I think.

It was an ill advised comment by a rank amateur.

Go ahead, categorize me. :)

Edited by Bill from NYC

I think it's not that at all. Naturally all of the ex-players who are now commentators and journalists are going to flame him and defend the game. I'm sure your well versed on the CTE dilemma the league is facing and many believe that puts the future of the game in doubt. So having a high profile NFL employee, 1/32, a general manager whom is in charge of employing Humans to play the game...a misstep like that is not only sloppy I'm sure some in the legal office would say it hurts their cause going forward.

I'm sure we all agree he mix matched words and didn't get his point across the way he intended, but word for word he put something out there that shouldn't be.

Weren't we just praising particular players for getting out of the game a few years early, so they could play with their kids and stuff years from now. Why do you think we pat those guys on the back?

That's all it was, but, we won't let anything derail us from having a good hate filled thread.

shilling again Beer ?

:ph34r:

Rather have him then you

why make it personal John ?

Intellectually, it makes perfect sense. The human body isn't meant to throw a baseball at 95 MPH or jump out of an airplane either.

But he has to know what a sh#tstorm a comment like that is going to create when all people want to hear is soundbites.

Some media training and/or better in-house PR may be what the doctor ordered.

Tranq him asap. hes gone rogue again. kinda serious here . Rex was a bit overwound in the OTA presser too. these kids gotta settle down. warm milk whatever

doing a study are we?

I think Whaley is in WAY over his head as a GM, but this in-and-of-itself does not really bother me. He really should stay away from the microphone though for his own good, or Pegs may wake up.