Bills 30 for 30 "The Four Falls of Buffalo" to air Dec. 12

YoloinOhio

When I got to college in 1987, we were coming off of three years in which we had gone 8-40. Then all this happened. I remember every moment vividly, much more so than I remember any of the last 15 years. It was the perfect age - old enough to remember OJ, the Talking Proud years, and the subsequent futility; young enough to go to LOTS of games without having family responsibilities or health to worry about. Old enough to know this kind of stuff comes along rarely if ever; young enough to not be jaded and cynical. I am at a much different point in my life now, but I will always remember those years. I'm so glad that my almost-13-year-old son is a huge Bills fan and that I got to watch every minute of this film with him. I've shared chapter and verse of those years with him many times, but he finally really got to see it for himself. He knows full well what the legacy of that team is, and I know now that this will be his team forever.

Also, who was chopping onions in my house all night?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the waterworks in my house during the "We want Scott!" moment resembled the oft-shown Niagara Falls. Gave me chills. These days, even if that did happen, he would also have received a thousand death threats on Twitter. So glad he got to experience that kind of support from our fan base. It truly is one of a kind.

Harry ConnicJr band and our D Coordinator's IDIOTIC comment.....those were the two most disturbing parts of the film by far...for me

He was only the D line coach, but yes, idiotic. Thats what Dickerson was. A fat *ss blow hard.

the waterworks in my house during the " These days, even if that did happen, he would also have received a thousand death threats on Twitter.

And a few penises drawn on his lawn...

Loved the parts where:

1- Howie Long was pleading with Jimbo to slow it down in the 1991 AFC championship game.

2- Thurman and Tasker (maybe more) "If you don't want us to go back to the Super Bowl, stop us."

Howie Long after the game:

"It didn't matter who you had out there today, they weren't stopping them. You could have brought back the Steel Curtain and it wouldn't have mattered, they wouldn't have stopped them."

So thankful they made this show. Even back when I was immersed in this now-history, I always appreciated what amazing teams those were and how much of a privilege it was to watch that talent get after it year after year. So much more fun than the 70's and 80's, and once I accepted each loss no one could mock my team because I always appreciated their journey and fight. The losses sucked, but what an endearing cast of characters they were and that's what it's ultimately all about.

Only thing I didn't like was the ending. Every true Bills fan can picture that kick going through and what it would look like if it had, so I thought it was patronizing and a poor representation of my dreams.

When I got to college in 1987, we were coming off of three years in which we had gone 8-40. Then all this happened. I remember every moment vividly, much more so than I remember any of the last 15 years. It was the perfect age - old enough to remember OJ, the Talking Proud years, and the subsequent futility; young enough to go to LOTS of games without having family responsibilities or health to worry about. Old enough to know this kind of stuff comes along rarely if ever; young enough to not be jaded and cynical. I am at a much different point in my life now, but I will always remember those years. I'm so glad that my almost-13-year-old son is a huge Bills fan and that I got to watch every minute of this film with him. I've shared chapter and verse of those years with him many times, but he finally really got to see it for himself. He knows full well what the legacy of that team is, and I know now that this will be his team forever.

Also, who was chopping onions in my house all night?

I'm a couple of years older than you, so understand where you're coming from on this. In the '70's when I delivered the D&C on snowy mornings I used to fantasize about the OJ-led Bills in the Super Bowl. Never then did I imagine how much it might actually hurt to get there and lose like they did. What a ride, though!

My wife asked last night "were those old teams really that good?" Yes, they were, which in some ways made it all the more painful. 8 HOFers and still didn't win it.

Anyone know if this is available on DVD? Would make a great gift for many folks.

I'm a couple of years older than you, so understand where you're coming from on this. In the '70's when I delivered the D&C on snowy mornings I used to fantasize about the OJ-led Bills in the Super Bowl. Never then did I imagine how much it might actually hurt to get there and lose like they did. What a ride, though!

My wife asked last night "were those old teams really that good?" Yes, they were, which in some ways made it all the more painful. 8 HOFers and still didn't win it.

Anyone know if this is available on DVD? Would make a great gift for many folks.

At some point it will be - all the 30 for 30's are available in a box set now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9XKS2U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003YMR98M&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1V2VHCVQBS2TYEAP6G82

This is why the 30 for 30 series is, far and away, the best sports content produced anywhere at any time. These things are consistently interesting, often incredible.

The Norwood portions were pure gold--again, that kick looked like it just curved away at the last second. Tasker was always spot on. Frank Reich. Marv. Thurman and Bruce on the couch.

"I will lay me down and bleed a while

And then rise up and fight again"

I had decided not to watch it, but when 9:30 rolled around I just couldn't help myself... and I'm glad I did watch. While it is truly bittersweet, it's such a metaphor for life. As I was watching, I couldn't help thinking about all that has happened - in my life, in the lives of those players and those of my fellow Bills fans, and in the world - since that time. Time passes, we grow older and hopefully a little wiser, and we understand the things that are really important in life. I still believe the Bills will win a Super Bowl, although I'm no longer sure it will happen in my lifetime... but it doesn't matter. What matters are the life lessons: perseverance, loyalty, camaraderie, and fighting the good fight.

Honestly, would any of you be happier if you were a Giants or Patriots fan? Would you trade places with Bill Belichick who, for all his success and Super Bowl rings, seems like a very unhappy soul?

Where else would YOU rather be than right here, right now?

incredibly well done, i am so glad i watched it.

it completely erased any "sting" from wide right or any of the other losses. great reminders of what an amazing ride that was!

hey guys, we're ready for another one. any time now.

Haven't we already seen this 1000 times? I will not watch. I know how friggin great that team was! I already know the heartbreak. It is the only thing the Bills are known for. Eff that. Sick of it.

not true. this show mends the heartbreak, watch it if you can on the other air times.

I had decided not to watch it, but when 9:30 rolled around I just couldn't help myself... and I'm glad I did watch. While it is truly bittersweet, it's such a metaphor for life. As I was watching, I couldn't help thinking about all that has happened - in my life, in the lives of those players and those of my fellow Bills fans, and in the world - since that time. Time passes, we grow older and hopefully a little wiser, and we understand the things that are really important in life. I still believe the Bills will win a Super Bowl, although I'm no longer sure it will happen in my lifetime... but it doesn't matter. What matters are the life lessons: perseverance, loyalty, camaraderie, and fighting the good fight.

Honestly, would any of you be happier if you were a Giants or Patriots fan? Would you trade places with Bill Belichick who, for all his success and Super Bowl rings, seems like a very unhappy soul?

Where else would YOU rather be than right here, right now?

Belichick is a very private man. Don't confuse that with unhappiness.

i always get so choked up when listening to that quote from Marv.

"Fight on, my men," says Sir Andrew Barton,
"I am hurt, but I am not slain;
I'll lay me down and bleed a while,
And then I'll rise and fight again.

That movie brought me to tears last night. Not because we lost, but the heart of those Bills, and the City of Buffalo. Tim Russert was one of my favorite news analysts. He was fair minded, even keeled in his positions, and loved his city and his team. For the young guys on the board, go buy "Big Russ and Me", and as great as the book was about his dad, the last chapter summed it up, "The Buffalo Bills".

I miss him.

As far as Norwood, I was so choked up by him in the first interview I've seen of him since playing. I forgot how well he played in 1992. I still feel so bad for him to carry that burden for 25 years, when lots of mistakes happened. You can tell, he still takes responsibility for losing that game. Honestly, I blame Marv. i love the guy, but first letting his guys party all week was stupid and arrogant. Second, Thurmon ran 15 times for 135 yards, and we didn't adjust. If we just started feeding him the ball, Belicheck would have adjusted, and the K-Gun would have worked. Belicheck outcoached us even when we didn't know him. God, I hate that guy.

I love the Bills as all of you. i always will. People ask me down here in FL why I'm such a die hard, and I always reply, because we are the most loyal steadfast fans in this league. No one has been through our adversity, and we still maintain hope this is the year.

God Bless the Buffalo Bills!!

Guys- I think what would be most fitting is if Rex held off, and we hopefully beat these NFC teams. It's the last week, some of the guys are banged up as happens in week 17, and after a short walk through, Rex plays the movie.

If you ever saw Invincible, which I'm sure 99% of you have seen it as one of the best football movies, Vermiel says in the locker room, your not playing for yourselves, your playing for the heart of the city. A city that's been through a lot of pain, for greats like, (instead of eagles greats, he inserts our extroardinary players of old).

"Now win this one for Buffalo. They deserve it."

I would truly be afraid for Fitzpatrick's life as Dareus and Mario will rip his head clean off. This team needs to play like that old team like a family. What a lesson I'll use with my boys when Beebe ripped that ball out of the Dallas players hands to stop that meaningless TD. Never quit, never give up, and play with pride.

One of my boys is at a lax tournament this weekend, so I'm holding off showing to them until they are both together. I can't wait to show them why we are all so nuts for our Bills.

Now squash the Birds!

That was a great show last night about the Bills Superbowl teams. For the first Superbowl, I kind of figured the team was out partying most of the time the week of the Superbowl, but the show confirmed it and you could tell the guys regretted it. The second Superbowl, I only heard that Coach Dickerson from the Bills said some things about the Redskins that got them P.O.'d, but didn't know exactly what. Dickerson was a dumb azz and should of kept his mouth shut about "The Hogs." Also, I didn't know that someone from Harry Conick Jr group was the one who moved Thurman's helmet. That sucks that it happened because it looked like Thurman could have ran for a TD on the second play of the game as there was a huge gaping hole up the middle. I'll be honest, I took those times back then for granted, but I was just a teenager at the time during the Superbowl era. Looking back on it now, I wish I would have went to more games, especially the playoff games. I always thought after those four Superbowls that the Bills would have made it back already, but who would have known that we've be stuck in a 15 year playoff drought. I really hope the Bills win a Superbowl soon for the team itself, the city of Buffalo and all of the Bills fans everywhere and especially for the Bills of the 90's.

I met Scott Norwood a couple of times and you could tell that he's a quiet, reserved guy, but he's a true class act. I was glad to see how the team and fans rallied behind Scott after the first Superbowl. I don't blame Scott for that Superbowl and no Bills fan in their right mind should blame him for it either.

I enjoyed the last ten minutes of the film the most. They finally showed how much the team means to the community. It was all great, and I really enjoyed it. I just wish the city of Buffalo and its people would have played a slightly more prominent role in the film. Adding some stories from fans would have been a touch. A short history of the city and where it was economically and culturally in the 90's would have been nice as well. It could have been used to set a heartwarming backdrop to the story. I found the entire movie informative, but only the last ten minutes actually really hit me. I'd like to see something similiar locally directed. A movie about what that team means to Buffalo. For all you music fans out there, Springteen has a movie film called Springsteen and I. It consists of interviews with his fans. Something similiar with Bills fans pertaining to the 90's Super Bowl years would be amazing. I didn't expect that from this film obviously. I just wish a few short mentions of the city were made before the end.

The funniest part for me was the footage of young Jim and Thurman forced to read the prepared apology to the media for throwing other players under the bus. They looked like such punks! :lol:

These are things I don't remember from back then.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Ditto, and ditto. Lupica is such a jerk.

I also thought the ending was a little over the top.

Yes, I felt like it was a super cheesy topping on an otherwise fine show. Not a whole lot of new material for Bills fans, but still a captivating piece of nostalgia.

The funniest part for me was the footage of young Jim and Thurman forced to read the prepared apology to the media for throwing other players under the bus. They looked like such punks! :lol:

These are things I don't remember from back then.

I'm with you there! I didn't remember that or the nugget about the cafe table. Watching Kelly give that "apology" was hilarious.

So yeah there were tears watching this, since they all happened right around my birthday SB25 was on my 14th birthday...lots of good memories with family friends and that team. You really have to feel for Scotty...

I still can't billeve we didn't win at least one, we were so much better then the NFC east teams

One thing that I noticed on the wide right kick after all these years that on the hold by Reich that he didn't have the laces facing the goalposts, they were slightly to the right as well. any kickers out there, know if that can make a possible difference?

I didn't find the "we never give up.....until the second half of the final super bowl" particularly compelling.

I'm not sure the average NFL fan is going to be overwhelmed by the mixed message.

Loved those teams.......but they simply choked under the pressure they created by embarrassing themselves in SB XXV.

That should have been a coronation of a team that would then win multiple SB's and getting upset that day laid a heavy burden on them that choked them each time thereafter.

The unspoken reality of the AFC back then was that the Bills were the most talented team by a LARGE margin.......... and the teams of the day would sometimes talk sh*t about and disrespect them........but just like the current Bills talk smack and then immediately crap their pants at kickoff of every Pats game......so did the rest of the AFC back then when they faced the Bills.

That simplified the run to the SB four times significantly.

It was a great accomplishment going to 4 straight SB's but more a testament to how stacked that team was than their "perseverance".

We live in an era where the Patriots come out and compete every week......there are routinely teams pushing toward undefeated seasons......but that wasn't the Bills.

They dominated but 2-3 times every year they would just not even show up and that's why they didn't rip off 15-1 type seasons like you might expect from such a dominant team.

And they even no-showed for an AFC championship when they were flat out ill-prepared and atrocious offensively against Denver.

They usually dominated in the AFC playoffs but they had no business winning that game........but such is the power of intimidation.

(BTW for younger fans the vindication of Scott Norwood in that game was actually a non-story. His kicking was a problem that season so, bless his heart, but that was a Hollywood-ization of the truth).

Also, they can talk all they want about being spent after SB XXVIII but the only reason they didn't get to 5 or 6 straight SB's was losing Ballard and Odomes that offseason.

Until they lost those guys they were still the class of the AFC by a significant margin but that OL with Jerry Crafts at RT was hellacious in 1994 and the beating Kelly took is what did them in.

Make no mistake, the rest of the AFC was still bent over expecting their playoff beat down until the Bills were finally eliminated that year.

I didn't find the "we never give up.....until the second half of the final super bowl" particularly compelling.

I'm not sure the average NFL fan is going to be overwhelmed by the mixed message.

Loved those teams.......but they simply choked under the pressure they created by embarrassing themselves in SB XXV.

That should have been a coronation of a team that would then win multiple SB's and getting upset that day laid a heavy burden on them that choked them each time thereafter.

The unspoken reality of the AFC back then was that the Bills were the most talented team by a LARGE margin.......... and the teams of the day would sometimes talk sh*t about and disrespect them........but just like the current Bills talk smack and then immediately crap their pants at kickoff of every Pats game......so did the rest of the AFC back then when they faced the Bills.

That simplified the run to the SB four times significantly.

It was a great accomplishment going to 4 straight SB's but more a testament to how stacked that team was than their "perseverance".

We live in an era where the Patriots come out and compete every week......there are routinely teams pushing toward undefeated seasons......but that wasn't the Bills.

They dominated but 2-3 times every year they would just not even show up and that's why they didn't rip off 15-1 type seasons like you might expect from such a dominant team.

And they even no-showed for an AFC championship when they were flat out ill-prepared and atrocious offensively against Denver.

They usually dominated in the AFC playoffs but they had no business winning that game........but such is the power of intimidation.

(BTW for younger fans the vindication of Scott Norwood in that game was actually a non-story. His kicking was a problem that season so, bless his heart, but that was a Hollywood-ization of the truth).

Also, they can talk all they want about being spent after SB XXVIII but the only reason they didn't get to 5 or 6 straight SB's was losing Ballard and Odomes that offseason.

Until they lost those guys they were still the class of the AFC by a significant margin but that OL with Jerry Crafts at RT was hellacious in 1994 and the beating Kelly took is what did them in.

Make no mistake, the rest of the AFC was still bent over expecting their playoff beat down until the Bills were finally eliminated that year.

I'm at the age where 1994 was the first season that I actually remember. Very good points about the importance of losing Ballard. I would like to hear some other fans opinions on that. I seem to remember the 94 team as being quite poor all around. It seemed like Kelly had already started to decline rapidly. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I'm at the age where 1994 was the first season that I actually remember. Very good points about the importance of losing Ballard. I would like to hear some other fans opinions on that. I seem to remember the 94 team as being quite poor all around. It seemed like Kelly had already started to decline rapidly.

Stan Humphries lead the Chargers to the Super Bowl in 1994.

That tells you all you need to know about the AFC that year.

They had their moments in 1994 but a late season injury to Kelly on a dirty hit by Jack Del Rio put Reich in charge for 4 games and the roster talent that had always covered up Frank's flaws wasn't up to the task and they went on a losing streak to end the season.

They re-tooled and were back strong in 1995 and Kelly had maybe his best season as a leader that year and Bruce Smith was the NFL DPOY but that is the infamous game where Bruce couldn't play due to the flu. They were an entirely different D without him, he was amazing that year and they ended up getting beaten in Pittsburgh and Pitt went on to play a pretty competitive SB against Dallas. That was the Bills last best shot until the infamous 1999 team.