Bills 30 for 30 "The Four Falls of Buffalo" to air Dec. 12

YoloinOhio

The 93 Bills were NOT as good as the Cowboys with regard to talent, and it wasn't that close. Kelly was in decline, and Fina was a clear step down from Wolford. The Cowboys' front seven was superior to the Bills' front seven too even factoring in Bruce. The Bills actually had a great game plan that day, but then the talent differential took over and decided the outcome.

Disagree here. The Bills should have won SB XXV and SBXXVIII. They only lost to the 'girls because Thurman quit after his fumble-six tied the game. I've always wondered why Thurman has NEVER paid a price for that. I've never forgiven him, and all the HOF talk a few years ago made me ill. I hope we finally get a few answers as to why he quit. Enough about him misplacing his helmet, I want to know why he QUIT and cost us a Super Bowl.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree.

We were better than the Giants. The Redskins would have beat us 5 out of 5 times that year. Ask Kelso or Tasker both of whom have commented on that game recently.

The Cowboys teams were better too, that's why they kicked our butt two years in a row.

Better teams in 3 of 4 years......yes.

Better overall rosters.....no.

The Bills had tons of depth and lot's of legit star players.....but with the exception of one season with Ted Marchibroda on staff, they had a VERY poor coaching staff......there is no Marv Levy "coaching tree" for a reason.......and they had a GM who stubbornly refused to correct a couple key, poor roster choices.

Specifically at NT and FS.

While the NFC teams were in an all out arms race trying to one up each other to win one like there was no tomorrow.....the Bills were trying to let it come to them.......and if not for free agency they probably go to 6 or 7 SB's....and if Polian had stayed they may have never won ANY of them.

Polian was determined to do it his way and admitting mistakes was never his thing.

Disagree here. The Bills should have won SB XXV and SBXXVIII. They only lost to the 'girls because Thurman quit after his fumble-six tied the game. I've always wondered why Thurman has NEVER paid a price for that. I've never forgiven him, and all the HOF talk a few years ago made me ill. I hope we finally get a few answers as to why he quit. Enough about him misplacing his helmet, I want to know why he QUIT and cost us a Super Bowl.

They didn't lose because thurman quit. They lost because he fumbled twice, the second of which was the result of kent hull being abused by leon lett, who got deep into the backfield. After that score, the cowboys ran it 6 out of 7 times directly at phil hanson behind erik williams (who dominated hanson) on a long drive, and then finished it off with a td run in which jeff wright was ragdolled behind the LOS by emmitt smith, who promptly ran it in for a td. Then after a 3 and out or 2, kelly threw a pick because the pressure was relentless and the cowboys had figured out the bills' short passing game that worked so well in the first half. Then the cowboys scored again. And again. Shall i go on?

Basically, my approach to that game in retrospect is to treat it like Vietnam: watch my vhs tape to halftime, declare victory, and get the hell out. Because the second half of that game is akin to watching a slo-mo clip of US personnel atop the US embassy in may 1975 clambering onto the rope ladder in order to get to the helicopter that'll take them out--an utter blowout.

Before the bills final garbage-time drive with a couple of minutes to go (and down 30-13), they had a grand total of 32 yards in the second half and one play in dallas territory (they got to the dallas 46 before punting).

They were dominated by a clearly better team.

Edited by dave mcbride

They didn't lose because thurman quit. They lost because he fumbled twice, the second of which was the result of kent hull being abused by leon lett, who got deep into the backfield. After that score, the cowboys ran it 6 out of 7 times directly at phil hanson behind erik williams (who dominated hanson) on a long drive, and then finished it off with a td run in which jeff wright was ragdolled behind the LOS by emmitt smith, who promptly ran it in for a td. Then after a 3 and out or 2, kelly threw a pick because the pressure was relentless and the cowboys had figured out the bills' short passing game that worked so well in the first half. Then the cowboys scored again. And again. Shall i go on?

Basically, my approach to that game in retrospect is to treat it like Vietnam: watch my vhs tape to halftime, declare victory, and get the hell out. Because the second half of that game is akin to watching a slo-mo clip of US personnel atop the US embassy in may 1975 clambering onto the rope ladder in order to get to the helicopter that'll take them out--an utter blowout.

Before the bills final garbage-time drive with a couple of minutes to go (and down 30-13), they had a grand total of 32 yards in the second half and one play in dallas territory (they got to the dallas 46 before punting).

They were dominated by a clearly better team.

I had to go back to the play-by-play to verify your recollection. Well done sir. My recollection was that the Bills were pretty stout in the first half, up 13-6 (should have been 17-6) and getting the ball in the 2nd half. They were driving on the 'girls, then the fumble 6. The play by play after that actually lists 2 more plays for Thurman in the 2nd half, but my recollection is that he took himself out of the game completely after the fumble 6. What I do see a lot of is Kenny Davis going nowhere. Bills go 3 and out after the fumble 6, then, as you stated, Emmitt Smith goes wild. After that, I remember the announcers wondering out loud why Thurman was not in the game. They showed him walking the sidelines all through the 2nd half. The Bills best player singlehandedly took himself out of the game, which I believe led to your last sentence "They were dominated by a clearly better team". The Bills with TT had a fighting chance, but without him, no chance. I still think it's a game if TT didn't quit. But we'll never know.

Lots of Bills fans out of town are between 30-40 years old. They grew up watching this team. Stayed fans for life. So it matters for some, but if it's not your cup of tea that's why they have multiple channels.

that's me. left NYS when I was 12, right after the 4th Super Bowl loss. Kept following the team despite living in "Steeler Nation". I hope they show the true scope of those early 90's teams. I often wonder how different it would be with today's 24hr media obsession. Someone would have had cell phone pics of the Bills partying pre-SB and that likely would have put an end to it.

good question. Out partying too hard the night before? Concussion? Some sort of answer would be nice. The Bills clearly had the better team in 25, in 28 I think it was pretty close. But our D kept getting gashed by E. Smith.

I had to go back to the play-by-play to verify your recollection. Well done sir. My recollection was that the Bills were pretty stout in the first half, up 13-6 (should have been 17-6) and getting the ball in the 2nd half. They were driving on the 'girls, then the fumble 6. The play by play after that actually lists 2 more plays for Thurman in the 2nd half, but my recollection is that he took himself out of the game completely after the fumble 6. What I do see a lot of is Kenny Davis going nowhere. Bills go 3 and out after the fumble 6, then, as you stated, Emmitt Smith goes wild. After that, I remember the announcers wondering out loud why Thurman was not in the game. They showed him walking the sidelines all through the 2nd half. The Bills best player singlehandedly took himself out of the game, which I believe led to your last sentence "They were dominated by a clearly better team". The Bills with TT had a fighting chance, but without him, no chance. I still think it's a game if TT didn't quit. But we'll never know.

It all comes down to the hip injury. I still remember thinking that he quit on The Comeback game when it was going so badly. Said he had a hip injury that kept him out, but he seemed alright jumping around on the sidelines as the game progressed. Same lingering injury supposedly took him out of the Super Bowl too, though he played through the games in between I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see how any Bills fan in their right mind will be able to watch this

It would be like reliving getting my wisdom teeth removed

It took the franchise 25 years to become a winner and it has honestly been 20 years since we were good. Why relieve what we used to be? It brings back good memories of lots of family time at the those games and good memories from my early teens. It also reminds me of how the team fell apart and has been beyond atrocious for 16 years. I can only wish that the Cheats* fall apart the same way in the next couple years...