Bills 30 for 30 "The Four Falls of Buffalo" to air Dec. 12

YoloinOhio

30 for 30’s “Four Falls of Buffalo” lifts up our beloved Super Bowl Bills

thurman-90s-week-story.jpg

PSE senior producer Michelle Girardi Zumwalt produced ESPN’s 30 for 30 feature film “Four Falls of Buffalo”. The film relives Buffalo’s unprecedented run to four Super Bowls and will debut Saturday on ESPN at 9:30 pm. Here is Michelle’s first-person account.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lament about not seeing how the '90 49er team (14-2) would have stacked up against the Bills.

It was a very painful season ending losing to NYG on 5 FGs in the NFCCG with Montana getting knocked out by Leonard Marshall in the 3rd quarter - with a lead at home.

Am I understanding this correctly that there are a group of miserable Bills fans who would rather watch a documentary that rips apart one of the greatest teams in NFL history for partying too much before their Super Bowl losses?

Good lord.

It has nothing to do with miserable Bills fans. It's just the fact that some of us believe it's too crucial to the story to overlook. If you're worried about "ripping apart" an all time great team I think that's done every time this story is told. I'm sure they'll talk in depth about wide right, and other on field failures. To non Bills fans in the rest of the country it will still be viewed as failure. How would adding the partying aspect make it any different to the casual fan? Living outside of Buffalo as a Bills fan the four losses are still the butt of occasional jokes. We all know how great this team was, but America loves champions. I really don't think it would taint the 90's Bills image. I will watch the piece, but honestly I view it somewhat negatively. I really don't look forward to being reminded of these failures for the hundredth time. Actually I think a documentary that follows the 90's teams through each years AFC Championship game would be more appealing. Skip the Super Bowl game clips and showcase this team as AFC Champions. This would show those teams in a light never before seen. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Am I understanding this correctly that there are a group of miserable Bills fans who would rather watch a documentary that rips apart one of the greatest teams in NFL history for partying too much before their Super Bowl losses?

Good lord.

What I am saying is that I want a doc on what really happened. The truth.

The truth is that these were great teams, with HOF players, and I want to hear about what made them that way.............I also want to hear the truth about what made them lose those Super Bowls.

Whenever I watch a doc, I don't want it all to be one sided.

What I am saying is that I want a doc on what really happened. The truth.

The truth is that these were great teams, with HOF players, and I want to hear about what made them that way.............I also want to hear the truth about what made them lose those Super Bowls.

Whenever I watch a doc, I don't want it all to be one sided.

I love the gritty underbelly of a story as much as anyone, but if they were going to tear down the early 90s Bills for partying too hard, they never would have gotten so many key figures involved in the production. Will it gloss over some things? Maybe, but why get so keyed in on the partying and others things supposedly happening behind closed doors?

For that matter, assuming the Bills hard-partying did in some way contribute to the Super Bowl losses, do we know for a fact that the opposing teams were doing nothing but saying their prayers and taking their vitamins in the week leading up the big games?

Is this going to be a maudlin, fluffy piece? Perhaps. But I for one can enjoy it for that, at face value. The Super Bowl run happened during my early teenage years, arguably the most important time for any sports fan developing affinities for their teams. I would much rather relive what made that time in my life so memorable, not seeing a tell-all about key players getting blasted on shooters and marching powder.

I love the gritty underbelly of a story as much as anyone, but if they were going to tear down the early 90s Bills for partying too hard, they never would have gotten so many key figures involved in the production. Will it gloss over some things? Maybe, but why get so keyed in on the partying and others things supposedly happening behind closed doors?

For that matter, assuming the Bills hard-partying did in some way contribute to the Super Bowl losses, do we know for a fact that the opposing teams were doing nothing but saying their prayers and taking their vitamins in the week leading up the big games?

Is this going to be a maudlin, fluffy piece? Perhaps. But I for one can enjoy it for that, at face value. The Super Bowl run happened during my early teenage years, arguably the most important time for any sports fan developing affinities for their teams. I would much rather relive what made that time in my life so memorable, not seeing a tell-all about key players getting blasted on shooters and marching powder.

Yeah, you're right.

I do tend to key in on something that I think is getting glossed over when watching docs and the like............This month's Real Sports had two parts on the elephant population going extinct due to trophy hunters, but mostly due to poachers. Kony and his ilk.

They show a trunk of tusks and say it's worth 1.5M etc. and I keep saying Why? What the hell makes it so valuable.

They finally said deep into the 2nd segment that the key is the demand (no ****!) and gave some reason why it's so valuable.

I'm going to sit back and enjoy the elephants dying the Bills making it to and losing Super Bowls, knowing that the producer already said on the John Murphy show, he asked why did they lose and the answer he kept getting was "I don't know."

Good lord.

Not at all on my part, I'm super excited for this 30 for 30 and have actually been wanting to see a 30 for 30 on this subject since the series started, I'm still almost kind of shocked this became a reality. There is so much more to those Bills teams than the partying off the field and I can't wait to enjoy every minute of it. My point was that IT IS part of the story however and I just don't think any of that is going to be looked at in this documentary. I disagree with those saying its all going to be cheerful and gloss over the negative parts of losing four Super Bowls. I guarantee there will be some painful stuff to endure as well

Not at all on my part, I'm super excited for this 30 for 30 and have actually been wanting to see a 30 for 30 on this subject since the series started, I'm still almost kind of shocked this became a reality. There is so much more to those Bills teams than the partying off the field and I can't wait to enjoy every minute of it. My point was that IT IS part of the story however and I just don't think any of that is going to be looked at in this documentary. I disagree with those saying its all going to be cheerful and gloss over the negative parts of losing four Super Bowls. I guarantee there will be some painful stuff to endure as well

Agreed. The mere mention of four straight Super Bowl losses is enough negativity for me. Some people are just stating that it won't be a fully comprehensive look at the big picture. That would be a true statement. Off the field stuff can play a role in what happens on the field. They were known as the "Bickering Bills". That team had a lot of divas on it. I think some people were just hoping to learn a little more about that. Some of Thurman's Super Bowl antics were the biggest diva moments in the history of the big game. So that sort of behavior did impact the team between the lines.

Agreed. The mere mention of four straight Super Bowl losses is enough negativity for me. Some people are just stating that it won't be a fully comprehensive look at the big picture. That would be a true statement. Off the field stuff can play a role in what happens on the field. They were known as the "Bickering Bills". That team had a lot of divas on it. I think some people were just hoping to learn a little more about that. Some of Thurman's Super Bowl antics were the biggest diva moments in the history of the big game. So that sort of behavior did impact the team between the lines.

FWIW in some of the articles I've read the Bickering Bills stuff is brought up in the film, Thurman also talks about the lost helmet incident in Super Bowl 26. When it comes down to it there are just too many realities regarding the things that went wrong during those years as well for them to not present that part of the story. I do think the partying stuff gets swept under the rug though

FWIW in some of the articles I've read the Bickering Bills stuff is brought up in the film, Thurman also talks about the lost helmet incident in Super Bowl 26. When it comes down to it there are just too many realities regarding the things that went wrong during those years as well for them to not present that part of the story. I do think the partying stuff gets swept under the rug though

The thing is the Bickering Bills and the lost helmet had nothing to do with why they lost.........The partying and Thurman quitting had a lot to do with it.

We all know the about the former.

@salmaiorana

Every 30 for 30 is great, but as a Buffalonian, and someone who covered those teams, I had chills watching the film. Great stuff

@NicholasMendola

I am as low on the NFL as I've ever been, and I teared up at least four times during the #Bills #30For30. We gotta get a title in #Buffalo

@mikerodak

NBC's Luke Russert leads a panel with Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Steve Tasker and Andre... http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0466425442606258344-4

CV1GKW7UsAAy4Tb.jpg

@JonahJavad

LIVE on #Periscope: #FourFallsOfBuffalo Q&A https://www.periscope.tv/w/aTjWbzczNTUwMHwxbFBLcWFibk1YbUtiG9M9i6GwvbxuOMAqIo1ylwCguHXGvzoFtHwFW9F46XQ=

@StepnerWKBW

VIDEO: My interviews with @Andre_Reed83 and @chellegz about the new #Bills @30for30 #FourFallsOfBuffalo http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/andre-reed-on-bills-30-for-30-documentary

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Disagree here. The Bills should have won SB XXV and SBXXVIII. They only lost to the 'girls because Thurman quit after his fumble-six tied the game. I've always wondered why Thurman has NEVER paid a price for that. I've never forgiven him, and all the HOF talk a few years ago made me ill. I hope we finally get a few answers as to why he quit. Enough about him misplacing his helmet, I want to know why he QUIT and cost us a Super Bowl.

No way. Bills played probably the best first half they were capable of and were still only up by 6 at the half. Dallas D line was superior to Bills online at that point and their O line was superior to Bills D line. They manhandled the Bills in the second half. Thurman and Bills may have been dumbfounded by that fumble for a bit. They never quit though, just beaten by a superior team physically . The only team the Bills were superior to in the Supes was NYG.

The thing is the Bickering Bills and the lost helmet had nothing to do with why they lost.........The partying and Thurman quitting had a lot to do with it.

We all know the about the former.

I doubt the partying had much to do with it. I completely disagree that Thurman ever quit. The Raiders teams were famous for partying harder than anyone and had a great record in SBs. The Bills simply faced superior teams in 3 of the 4 Supes. The NFC was dominant during those years .