Maybe Roman wasn't the problem in SF - musings from Bay Area

GG

Good to see the Bills are the ones benefiting from other franchise dysfunction.

The Greg Roman re-re-evaluation: If you were paying attention during his 49ers tenure, you actually don’t have to keep changing your mind

–And to think, gee, let’s just strip away Roman and Harbaugh and run the ball and let Kap Be Kap… that was the silliest idea of them all. You need more than a slogan; you need more than rationalizations. You need a scheme.

Good to see the Bills are the ones benefiting from other franchise dysfunction.

The Greg Roman re-re-evaluation: If you were paying attention during his 49ers tenure, you actually dont have to keep changing your mind

Thanks for that. I never really understood why Roman was the fall guy there. It was tough however to assign kudos or blame however with guys like Harbaugh and their front office and Kap, etc

Bingo- I have discussed this with Niners fans (who know football) and Roman gets a lot of credit for his work here. He did a ton with Kap, Davis, Gore and no receivers. He knew how to use Kap and he knows how to use Taylor. These guys are very similar though everyone has been saying Kap is a much better QB than Taylor- time will tell there. We got the best possible OC to come in and use the weapons the Bills have. Savvy head coaches like Ryan know it- they can turn the play calling and responsibility over to Roman and not worry. Roman has to absolutely love the the situation and weapons he has in Buffalo.

It's an interesting quick read, and the comments are also fun to peruse. "His system might be the best in football, but it is useless if the players don't understand it." Well, our players seems to be doing just fine with it.

"Roman's problem has always been in the red zone." And another poster was quick to point out Buffalo's 83.3% TD percentage.

Other posters wonder if the problem was Harbaugh meddling or if it was Kap. I tend to think it's Kap, because it's my understanding that Harbaugh backed Roman despite the criticism, but maybe Harbaugh wanted certain things out of Kap that he forced on the offense?

That OC last year and for the three years before that was Roman, who just never was much loved in 49ersland, including by family members of team executives and I think we can safely assume that team executives and team owners didn’t much support Roman last year, either.

In fact, there is much speculation that 49ers management wanted Roman replaced going into the 2014 season, and amped that up when the 49ers started to sputter early on in 2014, and that was part of the friction between management and Jim Harbaugh.

One or the other, it really can’t be both. Or it was just general dislike of Roman, the easy scapegoat, the non-dynamic figure, the guy ownership and fandom could lazily write off as the thing holding back Kaepernick and the offense.

Hell, I think they even got Kaepernick and some of the players thinking that, just by saying it so often behind closed doors.

Some speculation there, but that sounds like a pretty bad situation to be in. I guess with the early success they had, not improving might make things tough, but that sounds pretty bad.

Maybe/hopefully he'll see how good things run here between the FO and coaches and want to stick around a few years. G-Ro is only 43, there's plenty of time to be a HC.

It's one thing to shell out money for a head coach, but you have to shell out the big bucks for quality assistant coach's as well. Yes, it sucks, they will be interviewing for HC positions just about every year, but it's still well worth it. Thanks TP...

The offense has been beyond expectations through 3 games. With a reputedly complex scheme to be learned, it would be forgivable if there were growing pains. Aside from the Cheatriots game- where they still managed over 30 points while struggling- this offense has been like a machine. On top of that, there's a new QB, new players all over, injuries to the best players and all the built-in excuses we are used to making for every anemic offense that the Bills have ever had. I can't help but think that Roman is a huge reason why.

So what happens when they get healthy and know this offense like it's second nature? Bad things, man.

Since we are on the subject, I remember a few shots of Roman on the bench with his ginormous binder of plays with TT, and my first thought was, "Look, he is showing Tyrod his photo collection of his all-time favorite sandwiches." I have no idea why that thought popped into my head.

Thanks for that. I never really understood why Roman was the fall guy there. It was tough however to assign kudos or blame however with guys like Harbaugh and their front office and Kap, etc

The thing to remember about Niners fans is that they're conditioned to not appreciate a run-heavy offense that doesn't feature the WRs. This is a natural product of the mystique surrounding the Bill Walsh/west coast offense era, where SF's offense was probably the best in league history over a sustained period. It's truly a tough act to follow, and even someone good like Roman is going to face the wrath of the fans there if there are any hiccups.

They look at the Roman years and compare with the period ranging from 1981-2003.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/

Edited by dave mcbride

When Peyton Manning was a free agent, I thought San Francisco was absolutely the perfect fit for him - great defense, strong running game, some decent weapons, let Alex Smith go in FA and let Kapernick sit for a couple of years behind Peyton. I am guessing that Peyton would have won one or two Super Bowls and maybe all the talk about Brady being GOAT wouldn't be as loud. But, of course, I guess that there would have been no way that Peyton and Harbaugh co-exist so it was not to be, cherie.

Nice spot GG, interesting article. Didn't know a ton about Roman before he got here other than 49ers fans hated him, but he's been impressive here since Day 1 and we're lucky to have him.

Granted, we brought in some more weapons and Taylor has been better than anyone expected so far, but night and day difference with the offense and play-calling compared to Hackett last year...anyone else miss those 1 yard HB dives up the middle on every 1st and 2nd down?!

Kapernick is not good, that was the problem. He was a gimmick QB just like RG3. Once defences got some game tape on these running qbs, they figured them out pretty fast

Kap is built so differently from RG3 though. He is much bigger and stronger. He can take more hits and make bigger throws. Granted RG3 could make more throws than Tebow or Pryor, but I definitely saw Kap having more long-term potential in the pros. I think he still has a chance, but his team is in shambles right now.

Kap is built so differently from RG3 though. He is much bigger and stronger. He can take more hits and make bigger throws. Granted RG3 could make more throws than Tebow or Pryor, but I definitely saw Kap having more long-term potential in the pros. I think he still has a chance, but his team is in shambles right now.

Fair enough, but the main similarity I meant is that they are both run first quarterbacks who struggle as pocket passers. In the NFL you will not succeed as a QB if you can't make consistent throws from the pocket

Roman has been a blessing and a joy to watch work. i can watch all 22 o line plays over and over again.

and his pressers are fun because he really wants to break balls. like Rex. But restrains himself. remains stoic

dude is awesome. one of these days he is going to bust out laughing. probably after the SB

The whole story isn't written just yet, and by that I mean its only been three games for Tyrod Taylor. Not five years like it has been for Kaepernick! Would the 49ers have been smarter to sit Kaepernick a few years, and keep Alex Smith as the starter? With no veteran QB behind him pushing him or on the bench to help guide him Kaepernick has regressed very badly the last two years.

Man 0 man, Colin Kaepernick was 9 of 19 for 67 yards, and 4 INT's last game against Arizona, and Blane Gabbert is the backup :sick:

Whats puzzling to me is that the 2014 49ers were #4 in rushing yards, and #9 in rushing attempts, and yet were 25th in points, 20th in yards because the QB was stinking it up almost every game. Kaepernick had a decent receiving corps with Anquan Bolden, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Brandon Lloyd, Stevie Johnson. Then RB Frank Gore was a beast as the 49ers had over 2000 yards rushing. It got so bad on offense that Jim Harbaugh took over the play calling half way thru the season.

Yea, Tyrod has been great in all three games even though the rest of the offense has not been so great. Taylor is making an average to below average offensive line look better then it is with his runs, and roll outs. Who know what will happen should Tyrod injure a wheel, and be forced to just throw from the pocket.

Anyway, here is hoping that the current great success of Taylor, Roman and the Bills offense continues :thumbsup:

Roman has been a blessing and a joy to watch work. i can watch all 22 o line plays over and over again.

and his pressers are fun because he really wants to break balls. like Rex. But restrains himself. remains stoic

dude is awesome. one of these days he is going to bust out laughing. probably after the SB

I like the cut of your jib, young man.

GO BILLS!!!

I keep hearing so many SF go crazy with hating Roman, even when I point out that he's taken an offense that was one of the worst in the league, with a QB who had never started a game, and made a rather dangerous offense, and they keep saying "wait a year and a half".

I get not wanting to blame Harbaugh. The guy had fire in his belly and turned around the franchise.

I can see not wanting to blame Kaep, because you want to defend the QB who took you to the Superbowl.

But Roman simply was the wrong person to blame here, and with a fresh start he looks brilliant.

After spending the last few years in red zone hell - fretting every time we got down there about whether we'd somehow manage to score - I'm loving this change! I don't even think about redzone anymore because we score so often when we're outside it :thumbsup: Combine that with an awesome D, and the fact that all of it is under a new coach/scheme and already this good, and it's pretty easy to be excited about this team. I know we've been hot at season's starts before but this has so much more of a positive feel to it - given the talent and situation. Why not us, Why not now?

Edited by Georgia Bill

And a willingness to go out and find the best people.

Be careful with too much the praise for the Pegulas skills running their teams. Their W-L record during their ownership of the Sabres is the worst in the NHL, so their "deep pockets" and hiring savvy hasn't exactly helped them out.

By the end of the season the 49ers and Bears will be fighting it out for "dumpster fire with the biggest flames" honors.

Be careful with too much the praise for the Pegulas skills running their teams. Their W-L record during their ownership of the Sabres is the worst in the NHL, so their "deep pockets" and hiring savvy hasn't exactly helped them out.

Ugh. This again. Pegula put his trust in Darcy/Lindy when he first bought the team because they had a history of success. It failed, and he then took the steps to bring in Murray and put a plan in place to rebuild. The W-L record had to suffer in order to get the franchise to where they are now. In the meantime, Terry and Kim upgraded the facilities and have put a ton of resources into scouting. There is nobody in league circles who doesn't believe the Sabres are poised to begin a long period of relevance.

the tank was real my friend. They were not trying to win. Edited by YoloinOhio

By the end of the season the 49ers and Bears will be fighting it out for "dumpster fire with the biggest flames" honors.

Ugh. This again. Pegula put his trust in Darcy/Lindy when he first bought the team because they had a history of success. It failed, and he then took the steps to bring in Murray and put a plan in place to rebuild. The W-L record had to suffer in order to get the franchise to where they are now. In the meantime, Terry and Kim upgraded the facilities and have put a ton of resources into scouting. There is nobody in league circles who doesn't believe the Sabres are poised to begin a long period of relevance.

Well said, I agree 100%. I will never be too careful with how much praise I give the Pegula's, the whole vibe of the city of Buffalo as well as our sports teams have done a 180 since they came into the picture. I will praise the F*#K out of them for as long as I can....GO BUFFALO!!!!