How To Cover Gronk

Peace Frog

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would take a Kam Chancellor type player to cover Gronk. Find a tall LB that is fast enough to stay with him and don't forget Chandler .

The need for tall , fast DBs who can play 1 on 1 is in scarce supply.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-gronkowski-0109-20150108-story.html

Edited by ALF

i think Bradham can cover him. Bradham is super athletic and has long arms. Lawson too. I think we should have Bradham on him at the line and then safety help over top. all of NE's pass plays are 3 step quick throws. the corners need to jam the receivers at the line and not let them release. there's nothing more frustrating to me than seeing a CB 10 yards off a receiver and then the receiver just gets the ball on a quick 8 yard hitter. easy yards and we can't let them do that against us

He's always going to have some success. Can't shut him down completely. Have to double him, but in creative ways. Some defenses will do things like match him up man to man with a linebacker, but then the linebacker peels off at 5-10 yards and goes into a zone. Then a safety, who played zone off the snap, comes up to fill in the man coverage. That can create a risky window during the trade off, but it can also bait throws that look open, but have a robber coming in to pick or break up the pass.

What worked once will generally not work all game though, so there have to be multiple plans of attack and adjustments in the bag ready to be pulled out on the fly. I'm hoping to see those type of adjustments this year and see that Rex is the guy who can do those things, take away other team's strength's to make them have to adjust, etc.

Career vs. Jets. Looks like Rex's defense kept him out of the end zone pretty well.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GronRo00/gamelog/?opp_id=nyj

rex's plan is usually to take away the team's biggest strength. When he has the horses, he's usually able to make that happen. It will be interesting.

This mindset bleeds into why he had to have all these multidimensional playmakers on his offense. He knows the headaches it will provide DCs. Who to take away... And leave open?

Edited by YoloinOhio

Also - jam at LOS with Lawson

Lawson is an interesting thought. Comparible as a physical beast, tall and long arms. Always has been decent in coverage. Maybe faster... Similar height. Could be the best match up available. Aaron Williams was going to be my possibility, but if Lawson is up for it I love the idea.

This pizzes me off. AGAIN the farkin' NFL schedulers give NE**** a long week to prepare for... The Bills! Unbelievable.

Kraft took care of that in case Jimmy Boy had to replace Tommy Boy. They wanted to give him a few extra days of film study to prepare

I think we will obviously see a lot of nickel coverage and some combo coverages. Even in 2 receiver sets.. What I'd like us to do is have either graham or Aaron pick him up in combo coverages. Basically have Roby drop to the deep third and have the corner on his side cover shallow and have whichever safety is on that side drop down in the box to shadow gronk and/or run support. In effect switching roles between nickel corner and safety. Or just 3 safeties instead of nickel (big nickel) when playing against 2 receiver 1 tightend looks and cover 1 vs 2 receiver 2 tightend looks. 3 receivers? Dime, patriots running game isn't scary

part of the trouble with laying the wood to Gronk is that he is as big or bigger than most of the guys on defense, aside from the DL, who won't usually be in that spot.

Thinking of Dareus somehow being out in coverage right in the middle of the field as Gronk comes across and BAM! just makes me smile.

It would take a Kam Chancellor type player to cover Gronk. Find a tall LB that is fast enough to stay with him and don't forget Chandler .

The need for tall , fast DBs who can play 1 on 1 is in scarce supply.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-gronkowski-0109-20150108-story.html

Oh you mean like when Nigel Bradham was in perfect coverage on him last year until Gronk gave him a 2 handed shove sending him back 3 yards then turned and caught the ball? You can't cover him because he gets away with blatant pass interference even when covered.

In all honesty, he's the best TE in the history of the NFL already. You can try to hurt him, but he beats the crap out safeties and LBs. Some guys are just gonna get theirs.

Have Hughes knock him on his butt at the snap of each ball while Kyle & Mario snap Brady in half & make him wish he lost his appeal.

It's the only thing I can think of. Make liberal use of the 5 yd rule. Problem is, then you're taking out one of your best pass rushers.