53-yr-old Herschel Walker says he can still play in NFL

Doesn't Herschel say this pretty much every year? It used to be Jim Brown, but then I guess even he realized it was starting to sound ridiculous....

Imagine all the Ensure that combined backfield would go through...

Doesn't Herschel say this pretty much every year? It used to be Jim Brown, but then I guess even he realized it was starting to sound ridiculous....

I wonder who will take up the mantle once Herschel retires from the gig. Emmitt Smith?

He might very well be able to - for one week. When he played ~20 yrs ago, he was elite, so it's quite possible that if he kept himself in shape, he would still have the abilities of a lower echelon player. However, as a "weekend athlete" not much younger than him, I can emphatically state that a ~50 yr old body does NOT recover like a ~20 yr olds. Further, what I recover from (actually, I'm pretty much in a constant state of one thing or another being semi-injured ;) ) is in NO way at the same level of what I can only imagine is the wear/damage inflicted playing an NFL game.

Typical old guy... Wants all the gravy work. Hey Hersch... How 'bout carrying the rock for 30 carries a game. Yeah, I though so.

Who pissed in your Cherios? He probably cound handle a RB by committee role for a few games, which is all he's saying...

He might very well be able to - for one week. When he played ~20 yrs ago, he was elite

Hershel Walker was never elite in the NFL. College, sure. USFL, yep. Once he stepped in with the big boys he was a pretty good player, but nothing to write home about.

Hershel Walker was never elite in the NFL. College, sure. USFL, yep. Once he stepped in with the big boys he was a pretty good player, but nothing to write home about.

I'll concede, maybe calling him "elite" might be overly generous, but he was a starting caliber RB who rushed for 1000 yrs 2x. Certainly not a bottom rung, borderline journeymen.

I'll concede, maybe calling him "elite" might be overly generous, but he was a starting caliber RB who rushed for 1000 yrs 2x. Certainly not a bottom rung, borderline journeymen.

Twice went to the Pro Bowl, right? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else....anyway, no. If he could still play, then why did he retire so early?

Edited by LeGOATski

It's amazing what age does to you. When I was young, I could throw a ball 55-60 yards. I didn't have a strong arm as much as I had good technique (for a WR). Now, a couple years older than Herschel, I can barely toss it 25 yards now. It's embarrassing.

I can see a high school football practice field out my back window. Sometimes I think - with just a little bit of hubris and forgetting the ravages of age - I should go out there and show those kids up. I probably run a 10 second 40 now. I can't show anybody up.

When I turn 60, maybe I'll find a touch league for senior citizens 60 and up. Maybe in that group I could be competitive again. Just maybe.

If Walker can really run a 4.3, he's some kind of freak of nature. But I don't believe it. Father Time is unforgiving.

I gotta admit - that's impressive for a man his age.

Yep. I think he was 51 when that was taken. But no chance he runs a 4.3 and he would literally get killed in an NFL game. There are a lot of people in absolutely tremendous shape in their 50s. One of my best friends is in his mid 50s and in ridiculous shape, he is a personal trainer to the biggest stars in Hollywood. And he tells me about how your muscles and bones just break down so much easier as you get older that has nothing to do with what kind of shape you are in. And that starts in your late 20s.

I didn't think he could do MMA, but he did. I would hesitate to say he cannot do something he thinks he can do.

As an aside, I also recall that he is a very successful businessman.

187 career games, >18000 all purpose yards -- nearly 100 yd/game career average. 84 career TDs. I'd call that elite.

Git r done

Terrell Owens on potential return: 'Given the right opportunity, I know I could play' http://t.co/em5vPkt3W6 (via http://t.co/6YPDJAdCnX)

Translation: I'm broke and need attention.

I read Walker's book on training when I was a kid. He said he never lifted weights before high school. He would do push ups and sit ups during commericals, martial arts, and exercises in the pool. He said the first time he ever benched as a freshman, he put up 300 lbs. He is a freak athlete but as others have said, it's one thing to make it a week. A whole other thing to do it for a season. He's probably the only 53 year who would ever have a chance though.

Dan Quinn invites 53-year-old Herschel Walker to Falcons camp

About a week ago, ancient old man person Herschel Walker told WFAN's Boomer & Carton he believes he could still play in the NFL at the age of 53. Sure you can, pops. Sure you can. Someone had to challenge him and thankfully someone did.

Falcons coach Dan Quinn, who isn't scared to fight anyone, decided to invite the Georgia legend to Atlanta's training camp.

“He's one of my all-time favorite players. Yeah, we have room for him,” Quinn said via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “For him, the legacy he left at Georgia … He'd definitely fit in great from a competitive standpoint."