LSJ OL La'el Collins has a meeting scheduled with the Bills

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Rex brings Collins and basically gets a first round talent for nothing that will really show his talents as a recruiter and the value he can bring to the franchise. Collins could slot in as either a guard or tackle on the right side. If the team were able to land Collins the O-line would shape up nicely.

LT- Glenn

LG- Incognito

C-Wood

RG- Miller/Williams

RT- Collins/Cyrus/Henderson

Or the Bills could slot in Collins at RG and have Henderson and Cyrus at RT if either one develops. Basically the Bills are trying to get a first round type talent for nothing. Smart move, let's see if Rex who players seems to love can make this happen.

Hopefully the Miami idiots are dumb enough to post selfies from around his house.

I'm not sure players fall into that category. Think it's just staff. Could be wrong. I recall EJ hanging out with Jameis before he was drafted and didn't seem like a big deal.

The Fish fans are obviously po'd that we took their TE...if we can secure Collins they may just implode.

That would be the ultimate kick in the nards..

Hopefully the Miami idiots are dumb enough to post selfies from around his house.

good chance that this is why our visit was "unofficial" and miami is letting players go instead of front office.

Well, it kinda does

Eh these past 2 winters were kind of bad, but like everything it goes through cycles. We had some very minor winters in the last decade. I think people tend to overestimate the level of snow we actually get. I saw someone estimate that the freak snow storm gave us 8 feet of snow which was outside the 3-4 feet we normally get weekly :lol:

http://weather.buffalonews.com/interactive-map-winter-2015-snowfall-totals/

North Tonawanda where I live got a total of 104 inches over the winter. That was a bad winter. Doesn't seem like much when you think about it though. Edit: The further south you go, the more snow you get though.

Edited by What a Tuel

Eh these past 2 winters were kind of bad, but like everything it goes through cycles. We had some very minor winters in the last decade. I think people tend to overestimate the level of snow we actually get. I saw someone estimate that the freak snow storm gave us 8 feet of snow which was outside the 3-4 feet we normally get weekly :lol:

http://weather.buffalonews.com/interactive-map-winter-2015-snowfall-totals/

North Tonawanda where I live got a total of 104 inches over the winter. That was a bad winter. Doesn't seem like much when you think about it though. Edit: The further south you go, the more snow you get though.

Just a joke...i like watching people get all fired up about the weather

Just a joke...i like watching people get all fired up about the weather

Haha, I've been spending too much time monitoring the dolphins forums. They are more keyed in on their player/teams activities than we are obviously. They have been bashing the snow quite a bit over there with some over the top assertions, but I am not about to make a login over there to argue it haha. You gave me an opportunity :beer:

Edited by What a Tuel

That article about not being allowed to meet with teams was very misleading. It appears that the only rule is that teams can’t visit a player at his campus or residence.". That leaves quite a bit of wiggle room to do just about anything else

That article about not being allowed to meet with teams was very misleading. It appears that the only rule is that teams can’t visit a player at his campus or residence.". That leaves quite a bit of wiggle room to do just about anything else

Exactly. Fly him to One Bills Drive and show him around and let him meet his future teammates.

Haha, I've been spending too much time monitoring the dolphins forums. They are more keyed in on their player/teams activities than we are obviously. They have been bashing the snow quite a bit over there with some over the top assertions, but I am not about to make a login over there to argue it haha. You gave me an opportunity :beer:

I envy your ability to lurk over there.

The Dolphin boards I visited during Clay-watch were filled with low football IQ adolescents, with very little in the way of intelligent football talk or even adult conversation. Just name calling and asinine comments about other teams.

Sort of like the PPP board here...

Wtf why not? I'm on vacation and I just did.

I take it back, I would love to scroll through 30 pages, but my boss probably wouldn't be too happy.

It's actually kind of funny thinking about how much collective time/money has been wasted by TBD members on following La'el Collings today alone

The Dolphin boards I visited during Clay-watch were filled with low football IQ adolescents, with very little in the way of intelligent football talk or even adult conversation. Just name calling and asinine comments about other teams.

It is unbearable at times. They are definitely less knowledgeable about football. I think the Jets forums were worse when I checked out their reaction to the Rex Ryan hire though haha.

I take it back, I would love to scroll through 30 pages, but my boss probably wouldn't be too happy.

It's actually kind of funny thinking about how much collective time/money has been wasted by TBD members on following La'el Collings today alone

Way too much time. I know as soon as I go do something else, something will happen though! Right!?

Didn't see this posted, but apparently he can't officially meet with teams until Saturday.

Maybe that's why players and Rex handled things the way they did.

its in the PFT article. They can't meet him at his house or campus until after May 9.

After growing up in WNY and Northern PA, and being in So. Fl. Almost 30 yrs.. Living through several Hurricanes down here. The weather in Buffalo is a non issue. (Main reason I bought a retirement home in the NC mountains last year) Dolphins do have some good fans, and some that have been around since the team started, and generally respect other teams fans and players and fans. Then there is the bandwgoner fan, the fan that likes a certain player. Majority of people at Fin games are visiting team fans, several I know just go there for a party time. If this kid is innocent and truly a god and family guy his best choice isn't Miami.

Ha, that's how the Browns board I lurk on is. One poster will say a random linebacker is the best in the league, one random guy will say "he's ok" and it will set off a firestorm of accusations about Steelers fans, name calling with words I can't believe are allowed on a public forum and people saying "if you don't like the Browns, there's the door."

It's one of the lowest football IQ collections I've seen in one place.

Ha, that's how the Browns board I lurk on is. One poster will say a random linebacker is the best in the league, one random guy will say "he's ok" and it will set off a firestorm of accusations about Steelers fans, name calling with words I can't believe are allowed on a public forum and people saying "if you don't like the Browns, there's the door."

It's one of the lowest football IQ collections I've seen in one place.

Well, to be fair, we do have posters who start threads about why Jeff Tuel isn't receiving "proper consideration" to be the starting QB...

Edited by eball

First I've heard this. Any idea where I can find more info on this? Thanks.

GO BILLS!!!

Be careful what you wish for.

1. Go here to see the 2011 CBA at the NFLPA's website:

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf

2. Read Article 7 (entitled "Rookie Compensation And Rookie Compensation Pool") at pages 21-35;

3. See especially section 1(i) at page 24 (entitled "Undrafted Rookie Reservation") - - placing limits on signing bonus paid to an undrafted rookie;

4. See especially section 2(g) at page 26 (allowing a team to pay a rookie an amount above the required minimum for a drafted or undrafted player, but only if the team can do so without exceeding the team's total rookie compensation pool amount for that year);

5. Read Article 14 (entitled "Enforcement Of The Salary Cap And Rookie Compensation Pool"), section 1 at page 112 - - prohibiting undisclosed terms.

I'm certainly no expert on rookie contracts, but based on skimming Article 7 of CBA, it looks like the problem is that the Bills, like every other NFL team, have a defined amount of total money that can be paid to all rookies combined, and the drafted rookies are guaranteed certain minimum amounts based on exactly when they were picked. Then there is some additional money thrown in (but not a lot) to allow undrafted rookies to be signed. That gives a grand total for rookie contracts that the Bills can't exceed.

As best I can tell based on a quick reading, there is nothing to prevent the Bills from, just as an example, signing Darby (our pick #50) to the "slotted" contract that the CBA requires the Bills to offer him, cutting Darby the next day, and then using what used to be Darby's portion of this year's rookie allocation pool to sign Collins to a 3 year contract with the same annual salary that Darby would have gotten for the first 3 years (so long as Collins got a signing bonus of no more than $75,000).

The CBA says you forfeit Darby's portion of the rookie pool if you don't sign him first, so you would have to sign Darby, then cut Darby, then sign Collins.

I know that sounds bizarre, and I could easily have missed something because the CBA is about as turgid as it gets and I only read Article 7 once. I think what I described would technically be within the CBA rookie compensation and salary cap rules.

If the Bills want Collins bad enough, I think they could sign and then cut any number of drafted rookies to free up money already allocated to the Bills total rookie compensation pool, so that they could then turn around and give the money to Collins (assuming I am reading Article 7 of the CBA correctly).

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Edit #1: The $75,000 maximum signing bonus for undrafted rookies is per club, not per player. If the Bills have already signed other undrafted rookies, presumably most of that $75k has already been used up.

Edit #2. OOPS. Never mind. I will leave the post up because some might be interested in how the CBA treats rookie contracts, but I missed something the first time through. It looks like the money contracted to be paid to a drafted rookie counts against the team's total amount that can be paid to rookies this year, even if they cut a drafted rookie the day after signing him and never actually pay the drafted rookie anything but his signing bonus. Article 7, section 2(b) at page 25 states "All amounts of Rookie Salary contracted for in each and every year of a Club’s Rookie Contracts shall count against the Total Rookie Compensation Pool and the Club’s Total Rookie Allocation whether or not such amounts are earned by the player . . "

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead