LSJ OL La'el Collins has a meeting scheduled with the Bills

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the deal: If the Bills had just taken a shot in the dark and drafted La'el Collins in the 7th we could have avoided this mess. It all boils down to having your draft board in order.

It's literally been pointed out dozens of times that if Collins was drafted on day 3, his agent said he would sit out the year and enter the 2016 draft.

By not being drafted, that option disappears. Yet individuals like yourself keep making an irrelevant point.

Either you and they lack patience to read, cannot comprehend basic English and thought, or disbelieve the threat.

It's literally been pointed out dozens of times that if Collins was drafted on day 3, his agent said he would sit out the year and enter the 2016 draft.

By not being drafted, that option disappears. Yet individuals like yourself keep making an irrelevant point.

Either you and they lack patience to read, cannot comprehend basic English and thought, or disbelieve the threat.

Just because dozens have said it doesn't make it wrong.

He's saying dozens of people have explained why no one drafted him...even in the 7th round.

It is possible that a team could have drafted him in the...5th-7th round, but like he said that would give Collins the option to enter the 2016 draft.

My question: If you were Collins and got drafted in the later rounds by a team willing to take a chance, would you train all year long or say F it and get your NFL career started (assuming that the team that drafted you gave you a real chance to start)?

Edit: I don't know enough to speak for someone actually in that situation but I would imagine that if I were in that situation I would be tempted to move on with my life and start competing in the NFL. Especially if the Bills drafted me :flirt:

Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

Collins didn't have a fantastic combine or anything, so one might think he could improve on it (if he had a chance to get re-drafted).

I'm also in mortal fear of us signing this guy, guaranteeing the entire contract & not having an out clause based on the police findings. Just to be clear, La'El goal right now is to get max money assured without fear of reprisals. He also took a $5M health assurance policy out where if he couldn't play anymore because of health reasons, he gets $5M. That's pretty good planning and tells me he's about getting what's his. Many teams in the mix for him mean better terms, some of which obviously could be very risky (for the Bills).

He's saying dozens of people have explained why no one drafted him...even in the 7th round.

It is possible that a team could have drafted him in the...5th-7th round, but like he said that would give Collins the option to enter the 2016 draft.

My question: If you were Collins and got drafted in the later rounds by a team willing to take a chance, would you go back to LSU or say F it and get your NFL career started (assuming that the team that drafted you gave you a real chance to start)?

He can't go back to LSU now that he has declared. He would have the option to train all year (and make no money from an NFL team) or sign his contract and start playing.

Yea 32 nfl teams had the draft board wrong and just messed up on this (they just forgot they could use a 7th) and you are right.

Edited by Crayola64

Here's the deal: If the Bills had just taken a shot in the dark and drafted La'el Collins in the 7th we could have avoided this mess. It all boils down to having your draft board in order.

Again pay attention.. He said he would not sign with any team if drafted outside the 1st and would just re enter the draft in 2016.

Thats why no team drafted him in the 2nd rd or later.

Dolphins put a bunch of their players including 3 LSU alumni, now playing for the Fins, on a private jet to Baton Rouge

to convince Collins to sign with the Fins. What does Buffalo plan in response? Will Jim Kelley and Thurman Bruce and Andre

go down there too with a welcome package?

Why would Bills send ghost of columnist Jim Kelley? Yeah he was linked to Buffalo but hardly think they gave connections to get him to go,

And just because you state it dozens of times in different threads does not make it right.

I think the Supplemental Draft is a better option for him.

This gives teams a chance of using next year's pick to draft him which is great for teams on the rise and picks next year.

Just to further attempt to put the "Why not pick him in the 7th round?" discussion to bed.

The 32nd pick in the draft gets a signing bonus of ~$3.5 mil with a total value ~$7 mil.

Collins as a UDFA gets about $1.1 mil over 3 years. A 7th round pick is in the same ball park.

There's a tremendous financial incentive to sit out for a year (or go play in Canada or something similar) if he were eligible to reenter the 2016 draft.

Just to further attempt to put the "Why not pick him in the 7th round?" discussion to bed.

The 32nd pick in the draft gets a signing bonus of ~$3.5 mil with a total value ~$7 mil.

Collins as a UDFA gets about $1.1 mil over 3 years. A 7th round pick is in the same ball park.

There's a tremendous financial incentive to sit out for a year (or go play in Canada or something similar) if he were eligible to reenter the 2016 draft.

In theology, there's something Catholics call invincible ignorance.

Apparently it applies (moreso perhaps) to football message boards.

Thanks for trying, nonetheless.

Edited by Dr. Who

In theology, there's something Catholics call invincible ignorance.

Apparenlty it applies (moreso perhaps) to football message boards.

Thanks for trying, nonetheless.

Great term. Define "invincible arrogance" as you know it. Thanks for that. I love that term.

the argument that a GM would make is that it also burns a year of potential earnings, and if he goes in the first round itll be 5 years, plus 1 sat out til his potential big FA deal. as a 7th rounder simply playing, he can get his payday sooner, and get extra year that he never gets back in his career.

which is better? a matter of opinion, i suppose. if he sits out and tears an ACL training he could be a late round pick with a wasted year anyway - as a worst case scenario.

@JoeBuscaglia: #Bills HC Rex Ryan: I had dinner with La'El Collins, and that's really the extent of it.

@mikerodak: Rex asked about Lael Collins three times. Uncharacteristically quiet about that situation, says hell leave the conversation private.

@AndrewSiciliano: Rex Ryan denies story that he ordered lobster appetizer:

"That's a false report. I did have gumbo."

the argument that a GM would make is that it also burns a year of potential earnings, and if he goes in the first round itll be 5 years, plus 1 sat out til his potential big FA deal. as a 7th rounder simply playing, he can get his payday sooner, and get extra year that he never gets back in his career.

which is better? a matter of opinion, i suppose. if he sits out and tears an ACL training he could be a late round pick with a wasted year anyway - as a worst case scenario.

I agree, there's an argument to be made either way. However, if you draft him and he's charged with murder, that's a major black eye (and a wasted pick).

I agree, there's an argument to be made either way. However, if you draft him and he's charged with murder, that's a major black eye (and a wasted pick).

if you draft him with a 7 and simply cut him -- the black eye is pretty minor (there was little info available, made a decision based on statements that he wasnt a suspect, and acted accordingly when that changed), and the odds of the pick making it are slim either way.

is what it is, and its hard to say what wouldve, or couldve happened.

if you draft him with a 7 and simply cut him -- the black eye is pretty minor (there was little info available, made a decision based on statements that he wasnt a suspect, and acted accordingly when that changed), and the odds of the pick making it are slim either way.

is what it is, and its hard to say what wouldve, or couldve happened.

Do you want to and up like The Pats* with the whole Aaron Hernandez debacle? Now their franchise is in shambles. Shambles, I tell you!

Isn't there also the factor that if he was drafted, he can't renegotiate his contract until year 3, whereas an undrafted free agent can renegotiate by year 2?

Whoever the OP is, should edit post #1 with all of this information, and we can then just say "Read post #1"

On a side note, the dolphins fans are gloating about Rex supposedly making this mistake. I myself don't think much will come of it, because the rule pretty clearly states campus, or residence, but they sure are happy over there. I really hope they don't end up with Collins.

Edited by What a Tuel

So we are in a lull of sorts , as the rest of the teams follow suit to Rex's fantastic pro active maneuver.

First impressions can go a long way.

if we dont get him it surely is not for a lack of valiant effort and savvy gamesmanship

very proud of the FO lately

lmo

So we are in a lull of sorts , as the rest of the teams follow suit to Rex's fantastic pro active maneuver.

First impressions can go a long way.

if we dont get him it surely is not for a lack of valiant effort and savvy gamesmanship

very proud of the FO lately

lmo

I feel the same way, we're ahead of the masses & showing we cared first.

Rotoworld is reporting Collins wants to play tackle, which would make the fish longshots....

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10371/lael-Collins

Thoughts on him playing tackle for Bills? They were already experimenting with sliding Glenn inside - not sure I understood or agreed with that one, but could Henderson slide into a guard spot?

Rotoworld is reporting Collins wants to play tackle, which would make the fish longshots....

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10371/lael-Collins

Thoughts on him playing tackle for Bills? They were already experimenting with sliding Glenn inside - not sure I understood or agreed with that one, but could Henderson slide into a guard spot?

Glenn-Richie-Wood-Miller-Collins smashmouth baby!