LSJ OL La'el Collins has a meeting scheduled with the Bills

Someone catch me up on the story.

La'el Collins was a great OL prospect, a likely top 10 pick, but fell out of the draft because his ex-girlfriend was murdered - right?

The authorities are saying he's "not a suspect".

What am I missing? Why is Collins suddenly persona non grata in the draft if he had nothing to do with the homocide?

The only thing I can figure is that in spite of what the authorities are saying officially, there must be strong suspicision of his involvement, but they don't yet have the evidence to indict. The investigation officers must have indicated to the NFL that Collins actually IS more than a person of interest, otherwise, I'd have thought at least 1 of the 32 teams would have taken a chance on him in the draft.

Anyone know how he's being tied into the murder?

He's not. He just cannot be ruled out. He was in a different city the night it happened, and he passed a lie detector test, and the cops say he is not a suspect and only questioned him from media requests. He also allegedly hadn't spoken to her in months, and may or may not have been the father of the kid.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually right below it is a flight from Buff to Baton Rouge the day before that fits perfectly into Rex's dinner. Plus there is actual video of Rex leaving the restaurant and being asked about the meeting.

Yep. But if the plane flew back to Buffalo at 7:35 this morning, that sounds like a meeting didn't happen today with the agent.

Edited by Lurker

home owners insurance is probably extremely high in Florida compared to Buffalo due to Hurricanes.

Not when you're away from the water, there are zones that could flood based on the size of the storms. That's how they rate your homeowners insurance, most are Category 3 or higher (which are unlikely to hit). To be clear, there's been ~2 storms in about 50 years that came in about that with none being a direct hit (tidal surge). I'm in SW FL & not using Hurricane Andrew in the early 90's as an example, that was a big one & leveled quite a few homes in a tight area. The Miami zoo was directly hit so there was animals running around that you normally wouldn't see down in the South florida (Lions...Zebras...).

@RavensInsider: Agents for La'el Collins calling teams and notifying them who's out, who's in as they move to next phase of process, according to sources

If this is the case, perhaps they were not too happy w/ the "unsanctioned" meeting. But they still have to see that Buffalo is the best spot for him.

PS: this is eerily similar to the college recruiting process. Money isn't a factor (save the jokes), teammates involved, the narrowing down of the list, etc...

yeah, it's very strange that way. Hopefully KW, Rex, Whaley and Pegs can convince him to come to Buffalo.

Not when you're away from the water, there are zones that could flood based on the size of the storms. That's how they rate your homeowners insurance, most are Category 3 or higher (which are unlikely to hit). To be clear, there's been ~2 storms in about 50 years that came in about that with none being a direct hit (tidal surge). I'm in SW FL & not using Hurricane Andrew in the early 90's as an example, that was a big one & leveled quite a few homes in a tight area. The Miami zoo was directly hit so there was animals running around that you normally wouldn't see down in the South florida (Lions...Zebras...).

Port St Lucie got hit 2x with lvl 4 Hurricanes a couple of weeks a part a few years back.. All my family who lives there says Insurance is expensive. mom lives in Leesburg, its more expensive then Buffalo

If this is the case, perhaps they were not too happy w/ the "unsanctioned" meeting. But they still have to see that Buffalo is the best spot for him.

agents typically worry the most about money. That's not a factor here, Imo they will let lael make the decision and communicate it for him

More likely Collins said thanks for the dinner Rex. We'll be in touch...

Right. Or even that they heard enough to be very interested and now the second meeting is unnecessary in Baton Rouge and is going to be in Buffalo to tour the facility and city and talk to the other coaches and Pegulas to see if it's a possible fit.

Port St Lucie got hit 2x with lvl 4 Hurricanes a couple of weeks a part a few years back.. All my family who lives there says Insurance is expensive. mom lives in Leesburg, its more expensive then Buffalo

Does the Port part mean it's directly on the water ?? J/K. Like I said, events like that are rare here. How long before that happened was the last storm ?? How long ago is a few years back ?? 2 big storms coming by in 50 years isn't something that's going to make it that much more, unless the place is really low (like New Orleans' bowl).

agents typically worry the most about money. That's not a factor here, Imo they will let lael make the decision and communicate it for him

that's partly my concern. Without money driving agents, they could have a personal issue w/ the unsanctioned meeting and steer Lael somewhere else. (although money is a background issue here. Collins needs a place he can play instantly, establish himself, and cash in on the next contract. That would be in Buffalo, blocking for McCoy).

PS: this is eerily similar to the college recruiting process. Money isn't a factor (save the jokes), teammates involved, the narrowing down of the list, etc...

Are we going to have a news conference with Bills and Dolphins hats on the table and then he puts one on? That would complete the picture

that's partly my concern. Without money driving agents, they could have a personal issue w/ the unsanctioned meeting and steer Lael somewhere else. (although money is a background issue here. Collins needs a place he can play instantly, establish himself, and cash in on the next contract. That would be in Buffalo, blocking for McCoy).

put him on the jet to Bflo and then give him a tour of Wegmans. An O lineman in Wegmans....

Are we going to have a news conference with Bills and Dolphins hats on the table and then he puts one on? That would complete the picture

perfect, with his parents behind him in confusing colors just to throw people off. They can do it at LSU and have a pep rally first.

Right. Or even that they heard enough to be very interested and now the second meeting is unnecessary in Baton Rouge and is going to be in Buffalo to tour the facility and city and talk to the other coaches and Pegulas to see if it's a possible fit.

Maybe. It was a good sign that he had his parents there, so maybe they will factor into the decision as well.

Still a very long shot, though, given the Fin's visit today (after already having a pre-draft visit with them in April)...

Does the Port part mean it's directly on the water ?? J/K. Like I said, events like that are rare here. How long before that happened was the last storm ?? How long ago is a few years back ?? 2 big storms coming by in 50 years isn't something that's going to make it that much more, unless the place is really low (like New Orleans' bowl).

you said 1 bad hurricane .. I was pointing out there were more.. And my moms insurance is high in Leesburg

Move along son,

He's not. He just cannot be ruled out. He was in a different city the night it happened, and he passed a lie detector test, and the cops say he is not a suspect and only questioned him from media requests. He also allegedly hadn't spoken to her in months, and may or may not have been the father of the kid.

A further concern for many teams may actually be that he also hasn't yet been ruled out of possibly conspiring to have his ex murdered. This may not been known for some time.