LSJ OL La'el Collins has a meeting scheduled with the Bills

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe you pay State taxes entirely in NYS if you play for the Bills or don't have to pay any States taxes at all if you play in Florida. A lot of it is what State you are playing in that week. Some of these players are filing 8 or 9 State tax returns a year.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/09/05/tax-decisions-by-nfl-players-can-save-a-fortune/

http://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/dont_mess_with_taxes/2013/09/state-taxes-take-a-toll-on-nfl-players-income.html

Was just gonna mention this aspect of the (limited) advantages of playing in an income-tax free state. It's hardly the windfall that some perceive it to be when all factors are considered.

GO BILLS!!!

Why would Collins care that Chip Kelly didn't want him any more and traded him away?

Shady is a star player who first was disappointed in finding out he was traded to Buffalo, then Rex and the Pegulas wowed him and now he's rich and thrilled, and that is who Collins would be blocking for. Don't underestimate stars.

I'm not sure "Chip Kelly doesn't believe in me" impact's Collins' situation much.

and beyond that, i think some posters underestimate that a lot of teams have LSU players, or free agent signings. should we leverage ours? sure. are our player stories incredibly unique though? probably not... we have some good reasons, and some drawbacks. I would probably put us in the top 10 or so, but also probably not right at the top of the list.

Overall, my sense is which NFL tean do you play in is probably overwhelmed by other factors such as:

1. Are the owners and coaching staff a plus, a wash, or idiots.

The sense I get is that most teams are a wash but there are a few idiots out there that players either want to avoid or are attracted to them because they are stupid (Oakland). In general, I think the Bills are a wash (Miami I think has developed a rep for things approaching idiocy after the Incognito breakdown). Nice weather in Miami though.

2. Can this team win?

Bills are pretty suspect in this regard, but new world post-RWS and with Ryan provides hope. The team has acquired a ton of good players though.

Shady is a star player who first was disappointed in finding out he was traded to Buffalo, then Rex and the Pegulas wowed him and now he's rich and thrilled, and that is who Collins would be blocking for. Don't underestimate stars.

I get that, but it doesn't change the fact that Shady didn't choose to come here.

The whole "no state income tax" is the most ridiculous argument. Do people who live in those states not realize State income tax is deductible on your Federal taxes so you net to zero?

And that these days you usually have to pay some form of income tax in every state in which you play that has an income tax.

I believe that, even if he signs with Miami, he'd have to pay income tax in NY on an eighth of his earnings (Buffalo and Jets - and the Giants this year, so 3/16.) I forget which states have those asinine laws, but I know some do.

also, Rex said Shady was one of their biggest recruiters during FA

yea - but you could argue blocking for brees and him showing off his ring, or a variety of other stories are likewise enticing. im not saying it doesnt matter, but i think some folks (not you) picture things like recruiting as a slam dunk after making a couple rough connections.

miami fans think they have an LSU "in" with Jarvis Landry and - ahem - Kelvin Sheppard.

Yeah. That surely helps. Landry especially I would imagine. Although that's a little different thing. Friends on the team is one thing, I was thinking more about moving far away to Buffalo which seems cold and small and unglam compared to Miami. But Kyle lived it, probably thought the same thing at first but it totally won him over. And now he loves it.

yea - but you could argue blocking for brees and him showing off his ring, or a variety of other stories are likewise enticing. im not saying it doesnt matter, but i think some folks (not you) picture things like recruiting as a slam dunk after making a couple rough connections.

Right. I imagine the Saints have the most going for them.

Rex is huge. Pegulas are big. I think Roman and Kromer and what they teach and stand for are big. Blocking for Shady for a run blocker is big. Strictly football I think we are hard to beat. Lifestyle not so much but players like Buffalo when they get there. Not sure at all what priorities Collins has.

And that these days you usually have to pay some form of income tax in every state in which you play that has an income tax.

I believe that, even if he signs with Miami, he'd have to pay income tax in NY on an eighth of his earnings (Buffalo and Jets - and the Giants this year, so 3/16.) I forget which states have those asinine laws, but I know some do.

* Jets and Giants play in NJ

Yeah. That surely helps. Landry especially I would imagine. Although that's a little different thing. Friends on the team is one thing, I was thinking more about moving far away to Buffalo which seems cold and small and unglam compared to Miami. But Kyle lived it, probably thought the same thing at first but it totally won him over. And now he loves it.

It's all what Collins values. If he appreciates a smaller town, hunting, fishing, and more blue collar, Buffalo is his place. If he cares about flashy cars and the nightlife, go to Miami.

Good teams target guys who appreciate what their city has to offer and build their locker room culture around their values. I've known guys who played for Pittsburgh and played in New York, they said in Pittsburgh it was all about family, guys drove modest cars and it was more professional throughout the organization. In New York it was all about what car you drove and what girl you'd landed that weekend. I imagine Miami and Buffalo to be much of the same contrast.

Right. I imagine the Saints have the most going for them.

Rex is huge. Pegulas are big. I think Roman and Kromer and what they teach and stand for are big. Blocking for Shady for a run blocker is big. Strictly football I think we are hard to beat. Lifestyle not so much but players like Buffalo when they get there. Not sure at all what priorities Collins has.

FWIW, the Saints reporters (specifically Duncan and Terrell) do not believe that they are a real threat. They don't have the OL space to guarantee him the opportunity that he can get elsewhere.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

@ChadSabadie: Source: Former LSU teammates Jarvis Landry, Anthony Johnson and Kelvin Shepard will meet with La'el Collins @FOX8NOLA

This is not surprising. Our hope is that we can get to the official meeting. If we can then we have a chance. Miami is the favorite IMO but the Bills may very well be next.

@ChadSabadie: Source: Former LSU teammates Jarvis Landry, Anthony Johnson and Kelvin Shepard will meet with La'el Collins @FOX8NOLA

There will likely be other teams involved, too. I think if he is all about football we have a pretty good shot. If he is a lot about football but wants to live the South Beach lifestyle and hang with his buddies, then the Fins have the upper hand. I don't see what Sheppard adds to that, he stinks plus they may have spent one year hitting each other in practice four years ago.