MAY 12th (not june 1st) possible cuts

papazoid

explaining june 1st cuts

http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

possible June 1st cuts (cap hit/ dead money)

Manny Lawson ($3.1/$1.5)

Chris Williams ($3.3/$2.6) injury settlement or helps in 2016

Matt Cassel ($4.7/ $0 ) zero dead money makes him vulnerable if not starter

Leodis McKelvin ($4.9/$2.0) graham played well at corner in his absense

Anthony Dixon ($1.3/$0.3) crowded backfield

Edited by papazoid

There is no way Leo gets cut, Cassel you just traded for he's not getting cut, Boobie while in a crowded backfield is a big time ST player not cutting him, Manny only if we needed the space, Williams I could see.

explaining june 1st cuts

http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

possible June 1st cuts (cap hit/ dead money)

Manny Lawson ($3.1/$1.5) IMO not going to get the axe as he fits a Rex D much better than he did a Schwartz one (I thought he was pretty bad in last years TBH)

Chris Williams ($3.3/$2.6) injury settlement or helps in 2016 too much for a replacement and not really a good fit/ often injured....I would draft a replacement but not keeping him could be a costly mistake too.

Matt Cassel ($4.7/ $0 ) zero dead money makes him vulnerable if not starter So they picked him up to cut him? No

Leodis McKelvin ($4.9/$2.0) graham played well at corner in his absense I could see Leo getting the axe, don't want him starting over Graham TBH, if he sticks, I don't know why he hasn't ever looked great but he only looked good in Petine's year and then not great. Graham was a real nice pick up. Love the guy

Anthony Dixon ($1.3/$0.3) crowded backfield Still not that expensive (none of these guys really are... well maybe McKelvin) if I was coach I would put in a system and see how they fit it and cut after June 1 (and by extension TC, PS), Aint my money :bag:

Those aren't the June 1st numbers. The cap savings by cutting them with the June 1st designation are below as provided by OTC.

Manny Lawson: $2,350,000 ($3.1M cap less $750k dead money)

Chris Williams: $2,475,000 ($3.35M cap less $875k dead money)

Matt Cassel: $4,750,000 ($4.75M cap less $0 dead money)

Leodis McKelvin: $3,900,000 ($4.9M cap less $1.0M dead money)

Anthony Dixon: $1,100,000 ($1,266,666 cap less $166,666 dead money)

CB depth is HUGE - no way Leo gets cut.

This.

Buddy always said "ya gotta draft a CB every year. At least one." Also, recently, Whaley said the same thing.

"“That’s a possibility,” he said. “Until you hit on one (drafting) quarterbacks and cornerbacks (every year isn’t wrong) because it’s a passing league that’s an approach some subscribe to and I’m not opposed to it.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/doug-whaley/

-----------

We have one in Leodis. He may not be Deion Sanders, but he can play. If these guys have a CB who can play, they wont cut him just because he isnt "elite."

Edited by maddenboy

Williams is the only player I can see getting cut.

They could ask mckelvin to restructure some. They could ask Cassel to restructure his contract to open up space to add another player.

With Davis.....he will be held onto. You have no idea what injuries could happen. Buffalo could deal one of the backs if other teams need someone.

Another factor here is who they draft. This could push 1-2 name players out.

It would not shock me to see Leo get cut......which is unfortunate

We have Gilmore, Graham, Robey.......after your first 3 you have to rely on you drafting when it comes to the corner position. We just drafted a quality kid this last year that doesnt get any playing time because of the talent in front of him.......

I actually dont hate Chris Williams.....but his back injury scares the crap out of me. These big bodies dont recover well from those.

We have Gilmore, Graham, Robey.......after your first 3 you have to rely on you drafting when it comes to the corner position. We just drafted a quality kid this last year that doesnt get any playing time because of the talent in front of him.......

I actually dont hate Chris Williams.....but his back injury scares the crap out of me. These big bodies dont recover well from those.

What quality corner did we draft last year? The 6th rounder from Duke? Over Leo?

Does no one remember Leo's back to back picks against Minny to keep us in it? The guy was leading the league in INT's before he got hurt. He's good. He's not going to be a casualty for some late rounder who hasn't seen a down.

I think they bring in Lawson as we are uber thin at LB without him. McKelvin had his best season as a pro in 2013 under Pettine's coaching and was solid before his injury last season so I think he will be on the roster (Rex also likes his corners). Cassell is Kyle Orton 2.0 so he won't be cut as even if EJ seizes the position they need a good backup. Dixon is too valuable a special teams player and pretty affordable. Only one I could see getting cut is Williams. But I think they bring Williams into camp to compete.

I don't think any of them will be gone. A knee jerk reaction is to think Williams is gone. Read it here first. Surgery and all that down time equals reinvigorated OL contributor. Williams starts and has great year.

Cutting Lawson and Cassel make no sense to me. Lawson was one of our better players in Pettine's defense and he's an ideal SLB for Rex. And what would be the point of trading for Cassel and then cutting him 2 months later?

Edited by Bangarang

There is no way Leo gets cut, Cassel you just traded for he's not getting cut, Boobie while in a crowded backfield is a big time ST player not cutting him, Manny only if we needed the space, Williams I could see.

Guys like boobie and Spikes are needed. They bring mad energy and leadership. I hope we re-sign Spikes.

Williams and Jackson will be gone. Jackson will look old and slow in OTA's and that will be the end.

I would be ok with Williams in the guard competition if his back is ok - though that is very doubtful.

Leodis will start over Graham though both will see a tone of playing time.

Williams and Jackson will be gone. Jackson will look old and slow in OTA's and that will be the end.

I would be ok with Williams in the guard competition if his back is ok - though that is very doubtful.

Shouldn't you put "Imo" at the bottom of that post?

For once, I have to disagree with you on something. And anyone who remembers the Justin Rogers fiasco from a couple years ago should as well. Luckily, Whaley was around for that and that's exactly why he went out and signed Corey Graham last year. You need more than 3 startable CBs on the team. More like 5, with your depth being decent to good vets. Gilmore, McKelvin, Graham, Robey, and Brooks would be the base corp, with guys like Cockrell and rookies fighting for those 5th and 6th spots.

I have no problem with them choosing a CB and having him jump into the #2 spot and moving McKelvin down to 4-5. But I think they still keep McKelvin around, even at his price, for good depth and ST. Injuries will happen, often to CBs. Or if Aaron Williams, who hits hard and recklessly for a FS, were to injure himself (again), now you have Graham starting at S, and your CB corp instantly depleted without any of them even getting hurt. Remove Graham from the CB equation, and it's pretty scarey all of a sudden.

Now watch Whaley go and kill my post by cutting McKelvin. :doh::lol: But Id be surprised after the priority he put on bringing in Graham last year.

Edited by DrDareustein

I don't think any of them will be gone. A knee jerk reaction is to think Williams is gone. Read it here first. Surgery and all that down time equals reinvigorated OL contributor. Williams starts and has great year.

Maybe.

What quality corner did we draft last year? The 6th rounder from Duke? Over Leo?

Does no one remember Leo's back to back picks against Minny to keep us in it? The guy was leading the league in INT's before he got hurt. He's good. He's not going to be a casualty for some late rounder who hasn't seen a down.

Some don't see how much he's improved and how good he is now.

Trade Leo for a guard like Mathis. Leo's int stats look inflated so other teams might think he's actually good

And Lawson is finally back in the right defensive scheme. If they kept him last year when he had no position then they will keep him this year now that he's the ideal fit

Cutting McKelvin is illogical. He has to have trade value... Even for a late round pick. No way he gets straight cut, his contract is not too heavy for another team to carry when you look at his skill level. More likely he sticks around.

I am a big Fred Jackson fan but I still see a good chance he gets cut at some point. The whole way it was happening and then suddenly stopped is suspicious.

Trade Leo for a guard like Mathis. Leo's int stats look inflated so other teams might think he's actually good

And Lawson is finally back in the right defensive scheme. If they kept him last year when he had no position then they will keep him this year now that he's the ideal fit

Leodis is good. That said, I'd consider trading him for the right offer.

Cockrell was a 4th rounder actually and I am excited by his potential but I am not for cutting Leo this year, no way.

ha ha

No way Leodis is better than Graham. I think Leodis IS expendable, and very overrated.

he has never been overated. ever.

As useless as this speculation might be most times, it's completely meaningless before the draft.

Can we at least see who the rookies are before we start cutting veterans?

I can only imagine the topics generated during the doldrums between FA and May 1st...