Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB?

Rubes

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just speculating here but what about Blaine Gabbert? He spent the last year working with Palmer and Roman in SF so he knows the offense and he's only 25. I'm not saying he's the future, just throwing it out there as an option not being discussed much.

This actually had some real merit. Perhaps as one of 2 QBs with EJ gone. Roman saw him all year. Maybe the JAX shell shock has worn off?

Edited by ecgetty

Name calling is childish, yet mocking the entire population of a city because someone pointed out your decided lack of grammatical prowess and inability to tell the difference between an extra "r" and an otherwise nonsensical statement is mature?

For shame, momento foot ruth (in case you thought I didn't know what I was typing, I'm suggesting your screen name needs work).

I never said I wasn't childish, I just don't participate in that particular version of cowardly childishness. There's something about resorting to name calling on the Internet.

However, Mocking your division rivals fan base and their overall intelligence is an age old all American thing.

The question is, what do we need to give up for the player? I think (conditional) picks are good for an RG3. I worry however that the "little talked about" route is a trade involving players. As in, Washington asks for Kiko and a 2nd round pick for RG3. Take your pick, maybe it's Mario or Dareus to give us more space to sign Revis and the new QB.

I doubt they would get Kiko from the Bills. But the Skins are about to lose Orakpo. And their DB's are a solid mess outisde of Breeland. Tag Hughes, send him, McKelvin and a mid-round pick that can become a 3rd. A trade like that could work.

Shaun Hill or Tyrod Taylor possibly?

Taylor would be an interesting possibility.

I live here in DC and Griffin is a cancer on the skins. He is a great athlete who works out like crazy but doesn't spend enough time watching film on opposing teams. So many people have mentioned this but the main guy is Steve Young. He takes too many hits during a game that it is hard to imagine him being able to play a full season. He is not same athlete since his knee injury. Snyder loves the guy and even if Snyder was willing to trade him it would be a high price. IMO he would be a very risky trade and I'd rather see the Bills go in any other direction.

No other direction has the same upside though. He does take too many hits. I don't buy that he doesn't watch enough film. Nobody said that during his rookie year when they went on that winning streak. I don't think RGIII's work ethic is the problem. I think the attitude is.

RGIII is very confident. He comes off to me as a guy who is positive he knows all the answers, and if he doesn't now he will when he needs to. The same mentality that made him play on that knee, or rush to come back for game 1 of his second season. Self-reflection might not be a strength of his, and if that's the case, Synder fawing over him could be crippling. I don't think RGIII has a bad attitude, but one of over-confidence which ultimately hurts him. That trait, paired with coaches who can do questionable things, paired with other players with agendas, or players not performing at all, whispering to the media, paired with a local and national media that parses every word the kid speaks... NY ain't got a thing on DC when it deals with coverage of the local football team. DC might be more pressurized. The most powerful men in DC? The President, and the QB of the Skins.

That said, because things aren't working out in DC doesn't mean they won't elsewhere. If RGIII was the only issue we have seen in that organization then I would listen to more of the criticisms of him. However, that organization has shot itself in the foot on so many different issues, since Snyder took over, that they don't have any feet left. RGIII is a prime candidate for the "needs a change of scenery" theory. If the price is right Whaley would have to pull the trigger.

He's proven he's a tough kid, corageous on the field, strong arm, charismatic, does work hard, plays through dings, and tries, to his own detriment, to play through injury. There's more plusses than minuses. Getting dealt could be the ego check + organizational stability he needs to get back on track.

Edited by purple haze

I really hope they are going to take Bo Levi Mitchell. He is young, successful, and the best chance out of all the QB prospects to be a franchise QB. That decision would make me really have confidence in the upcoming season. Think if they take him and he turns out to be an all-star he could be with the bills at least 11 years.

Under a CFL contract until 2016.

Kurt Warner in December said he considered coming back to play for the Cardinals when they kept losing QB's. He said it amazed him how much he actually thought about it. He also said it was crazy to think about coming back as much as he did. Could they make a run at Kurt to come back?

Heck yea! I thought he retired too soon, and with all the years off he hasn't accrued an more damage. Also might have lost arm strength, but why not, he certainly wouldn't be as gutless as "all for the money" Orton.

[3yrsl name=TheTruthHurts" post="3451860" timestamp="1423125091]

They didn't draft him so now after sitting they would think he is better than EJ? Highly unlikely.

Times change people change opinions change Ryan Nassib has been said to have developed very well playing behind Eli Manning he's young athletic and has a lighting quick release. Nassib just might be the fit that Greg Roman is looking for if anything he should be brought in to compete with EJ. I think he would be better then anyone of those other QBs that have already had there chances. Ryan Nassib is a mobile QB that can go vertical. What would u rather have Jake the Hurt Locker or Matt i haven't played in 3yrs Moore.

I never said I wasn't childish, I just don't participate in that particular version of cowardly childishness. There's something about resorting to name calling on the Internet.

However, Mocking your division rivals fan base and their overall intelligence is an age old all American thing.

No one cares. Jets stink. Good luck getting 4 wins next year.

We are moving on from Ponder/Locker talk to Gabbert talk ? Brutal.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Now that's a typo. And I don't call names on the Internet, it's childish.

Must say I'm shocked anyone from Buffalo knows the difference between to and too.... Proud of y'all

Not many people from anywhere seem to know the difference between the words then and than anymore. Or my favourite, the phrase "I could care less", essentially saying you do care, which in the context it's used is an immediate contradiction of what is being said.

for what its worth, the year Seattle felt they needed to upgrade the QB position they went in various ways to find their QB. In the same off season they....

Signed Matt Flynn to FA contract

Traded for T Jax

Drafted Russell Wilson

Can we see the Bills doing something similar??

Bo Levi Mitchell, Calgary Stampeders, 2014 Grey Cup MVP 370 completions out of 573 attempts for a career completion percentage of 64.6%, has thrown for 4,713 yards in 17 career starts. 34 TD's against 13 ints and a career QB rating of 100.5. Variously listed as 6-0 up to 6-2. Undrafted in 2012 due to size and limited arm strength. Excellent accuracy in short to intermediate range allowing his WR's to catch and run, quick release, good feet to buy time in the pocket and is a fast decision maker. Played in a spread at SMU and EWU so his ability to play in a conventional NFL offense is an open question. Led Katy High School in Texas to a state championship throwing 37 TD's against only 4 picks.

Mitchell started as a freshman at SMU. In his career, he completed 385-of-676 passes (57.0 percent) for 4,590 yards (241.6 per game) with 36 touchdowns and 33 interceptions. His efficiency rating was 121.8. As a sophomore in 2009, he started SMU’s first seven games before suffering an injury and being replaced by freshman Kyle Padron. In this injury shortened season, Mitchell completed 56 percent of his passes for 1,725 yards, 12 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, for a passing efficiency rating of 117.9.

Transferred to Eastern Washington University where he had a great career as the starter for 2 years. He helped lead EWU to the NCAA Division I FCS National Championship with a 20-19 come-from-behind victory over the University of Deleware, the school's first national championship in football. He was named the game's Most Outstanding Player after throwing three touchdown passes in the final 16 minutes of the game and had 302 total passing yards.

In 2011, He led the FCS in four statistical categories, including passing yards (4,009) and touchdown passes (33) on his way to breaking four school records. He broke EWU's record for single season passing yards with 4,009, which ranks 17th in FCS history and fifth in Big Sky Conference history. Mitchell went on to win the Walter Payton Award as the best offensive player in the FCS and was also named the 2011 Big Sky Conference Offensive Player of the Year. Mitchell was also named to seven All-America teams this season, earning first team honors on six of them.

for what its worth, the year Seattle felt they needed to upgrade the QB position they went in various ways to find their QB. In the same off season they....

Traded for T Jax

Drafted Russell Wilson

i'm not super clear on how this all works, but if we could re-draft russell wilson, i'd be 100% behind it. i wouldn't bother signing flynn or or trading for t. jax -- seems unnecessary if we can get wilson.

For those of you who follow Kevin Massare on Twitter, her had this little piece today after a talk with his "inside source":

Kevin Massare @KevinMassare

Source would not address QB with me, just said "we will be going a route that not many have talked about". SO take that for what its worth.

No idea what it means, but...

Discuss.

LOL

Well, Whaley's still here. I'm guessing that means yet another high-risk low-reward "opportunity.

When Chris Palmer was the offensive coordinator at Tennessee in 2011 they had two quarterbacks who currently are free agents. Jake Locker whom they drafted that year and Matt Hasselbeck. Could either one or both be on the Bills radar? Here are there stats that year.

Matt Hasselbeck 61% comp 3571 yards 18 TD's 14 INT's

Jake Locker 52% comp 542 yards 4 TD's 0 INT's

Greg Roman prefers mobile QB's which both are which also fits.

I'm optimistic that Roman and company can get production out of EJ Manuel. That's what I'm going with.

Still need to find a vet FA, though, for competition/backup purposes. And if Tuel is gone, then some low round pick for practice squad duties.

Traded for T Jax

Drafted Russell Wilson

they cycled a lot of guys. before that was whitehurst too....

Traded for T Jax

Drafted Russell Wilson

They didn't actually.... TJax was there the year before as the starter. They did trade for Flynn and draft Wilson the same year though.