Active Player Coming Out of the Closet - are you okay with that?

The fact this is making NFL headlines says a lot about how far we as a nation haven't come on the acceptance of sexual orientation. sad really. But I don't even see why a player has to publicly declare his sexual orientation anyway, I think it's stupid to make a big deal of it in any career.

Adversely, calling attention to your own sexuality seems to be a childish ploy to draw attention to yourself in my opinion. So your gay, whoop-de frickin do!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish it didn't matter. Hopefully in the future, people can be whatever sexuality they are without feeling shamed.

Edit: I'd obviously support whomever came out. I'd be proud if it were a Bill.

Edited by Dorkington

The fact this is making NFL headlines says a lot about how far we as a nation haven't come on the acceptance of sexual orientation. sad really. But I don't even see why a player has to publicly declare his sexual orientation anyway, I think it's stupid to make a big deal of it in any career.

Adversely, calling attention to your own sexuality seems to be a childish ploy to draw attention to yourself in my opinion. So your gay, whoop-de frickin do!

I see where your heart is in the right place (first paragraph) but I think you're missing the point (last sentence).

This thread exists because in the digital age, whether we like it or not, issues like this will be discussed down to the smallest detail.

I think in most cases that's a good thing, but since this is a "hot button" issue, it's been talked into the ground.

That being said, I'm glad to see that most people here really don't care one way or the other, which shows the proper perspective.

For us, this is entertainment, and even though we're all very passionate about it, we need to remember that we have very little real connection to the lives of the players, and that's they way it should be.

Whether a player is gay or not shouldn't matter at all.

The problem with sexuality has nothing to do with football. Nothing to do with marriage. But everything to do with the fact that sexuality is like a pendulum. Very few people on this planet are 100% straight and 100% gay.

Most of you will deny it but at some point - you may have had curiosities - tendencies - man crushes - you may have used alcohol as an excuse why you may have accidentally "played" with your buddy that one time in college or grade school...

You would not believe how many people in this society go both ways - but identify as straight and gay. The numbers are so high - that is the reason why it creates such tension and instability in politics, religion and society.

Do you know how many married str8 men play with other men and straight married women play with other women (which in society, is ok, as long as they are drop dead gorgeous, right)? Check out your local craigslist or adult friend finder sites - the numbers are there. Sexuality will never go away - as long as the straight society continues to act like its a choice when the funny thing - you never wake up one day and decide to be str8 or had any question about it? It's not a switch.

We have done experiments on OKCupid - Match.com and Christianmingles websites - we created straight and bi test profiles on these sites - and then took the opportunity to hit on other straight guys. The numbers are alarming as the number of men who have responded favorably to our solicitations. Not all men - but a day wouldn't go by where at least 5-8 straight guys would either hit up our profiles or respond favorably to ours.

Common responses:

"Although I am straight, I do have bi curious tendencies..."

"I'd be willing to play with another man as long as a woman is present in bed..."

"I am definitely bi but can never actually go through with it..."

"Catch me when I'm drunk and I'll play with you in a heartbeat..."

That folks - is the reason why this topic - which is nothing more than being freaking HUMAN - is nothing more than a joke because humanity is so insecure with itself.

If you have create a law that hurts a limited number of people just to prove your morals or faith, you have no true morals or faith to prove.

Edited by BILLS02138

The problem with sexuality has nothing to do with football. Nothing to do with marriage. But everything to do with the fact that sexuality is like a pendulum. Very few people on this planet are 100% and 100% gay.

Most of you will deny it but at some point - but you have had curiosities - you have had tendencies - you have had man crushes - you have used alcohol as a reason why you may have accidentally "played" with your buddy that one time in college or grade school...

You would not believe how many people in this society go both ways - but identify as straight and gay. The numbers are so high - that is the reason why it creates such tension and instability in politics, religion and society.

Do you know how many married str8 men play with other men and straight married women play with other women (which in society, is ok, as long as they are drop dead gorgeous, right)? Check out your local craigslist or adult friend finder sites - the numbers are alarming. Alarming might not be the right word - but it's real. Sexuality will never go away - as long as the straight society continues to act like it’s a choice when the funny thing - they never woke up one day and decided to be str8.

We have done experiments on OKCupid - Match.Com and Christiansingles websites - we created straight and bi test profiles on these sites - and then took the opportunitiy to hit on other straight guys. The numbers are alarming as the numbers of men who have responded favorably to our solicitations. Not all men - but a day wouldn't go by where at least 5 straight guys would either hit up our profiles or respond favorably to ours.

Common responses:

"Although I am straight, I do have bi curious tendencies..."

"I'd be willing to play with another man as long as a woman is present in bed..."

"I am definitely bi but can never actually go through with it..."

'Catch me when I'm drunk and I'll play with you in a heartbeat..."

That folks - is the reason why this topic - which is nothing more than being !@#$ING HUMAN - is nothing more than a joke because humanity is so insecure with itself.

If you have to make a law that hurts a number of people just to prove your morals or faith, you have no true morals or faith to prove.

Well I would say you speak for some percentage of the population.

How much of it I don't know nor do I care.

But it's good that you have strong enough feelings on the matter to make one of your infrequent posts and to do so with conviction.

I could care less.

I think both sides of the debate would actually hate to see the "issue" resolved since the advocacy for either side is a multi-million dollar business, not to mention, all of the attention that comes along with it.

I, for one, would probably think more highly of him, and think he was likely one of the toughest players on the team.

And this is exactly why said player would do it: more attention, book deals, etc. No one really cares. As the player in the article said, none of the fellow players would care. Women play D1 football, really, only the media would care and sensationalize it.

I have no issue what so ever. It's their life and I hold no judgement.

It seems like there is so much build up for an active gay player to come out which is sad because if everybody was ok with it then it wouldnt be a big deal if someone came out.

CBF

Why do people have to publicly come out? People on his team may already know he's gay? Does every gay (or straight person) need to come out with a deceleration of their sexual orientation? I really don't care what people do in their personal lives. I have my own moral opinions about it, but I wouldn't discriminate either way against those who hold different views.

I'm not so sure I agree with you. I think that there may be some hate but by in large that person will be protected. In fact I think even more than the non gay players. Would you want to be the coach that is faced with having to cut the first gay player? Would you like to be the men that play the same position as the gay player, feeling like you'll get cut before they will? I do think there will be whispers and stuff like that, but there won't be an outrage. This person is going to be exalted.

Yeah, being the "first" may cause some uncomfortable moments for some people....but, you know, it didn't stop Jackie Robinson or Charles Follis. There has to be a first for everything. That is how things evolve.

http://www.nfl.com/n...-saying-hes-gay

If it was a Bill would it change your opinion of him?

No, we will probably still think he sucks...in the traditional sports way of sucking.

And this is exactly why said player would do it: more attention, book deals, etc. No one really cares. As the player in the article said, none of the fellow players would care. Women play D1 football, really, only the media would care and sensationalize it.

Why do people have to publicly come out? People on his team may already know he's gay? Does every gay (or straight person) need to come out with a deceleration of their sexual orientation? I really don't care what people do in their personal lives. I have my own moral opinions about it, but I wouldn't discriminate either way against those who hold different views.

Why do people keep asking why does he have to come out? Are you guys serious with this question? You do realize he and other fellow gay players have to live a lie publicly everyday. They don't get to go to gay bars, go to dinner with a boyfriend, or go out anywhere as themselves living as a gay man. If they do, TMZ, Deadspin, and all media would be all over that about how they "discovered" that "X" player is gay which would be way worse than just coming out and makin it known on their own terms.

If they want to be free to live their lives as themselves they have to come out publicly because this society and our media are still ignorant enough to care about ones sexuality.

Racism and homosexual prejudice are still an issue in modern society. The fact that this is even a story shows just how big of an issue it still is, which it shouldn't be.

Funny, if a player came out and said he only liked fat chicks it wouldn't even be a story.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Funny, if a player came out and said he only liked fat chicks it wouldn't even be a story.

It's already out....

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1863477485/image.jpg

Based on their reluctance to put a hand on ball carriers, I'm pretty sure the player isn't on the Bills defense.

Best response so far

they nearly doubled in this thread alone. by days end we will all be gay at this rate!

It's Wikipedia, you can edit it to any percentage you want.

Let's consider this...A Robert Griffin III or Andrew Luck quality player who is openly gay is in this year's draft and because of his coming up actually makes it to round 8. I'm talking flaming, lisping, listening to Broadway show tunes gay...but he throws like Dan Marino, runs around like Michael Vick, and has the football mind of Jim Kelly, Johnny Unitas and Peyton Manning rolled up in one....do you draft him?

Draft Him?....I'd friggin draft him, adopt him and serve as a ringbearer at his wedding!!

I guess the question I should of asked is: Considering that it's estimated that 10% of the overall population is gay, do you think this man's courage will lead to the other 160 or so gay NFL players to come out?

Should have, should have!

Sorry, pet peeve.