Active Player Coming Out of the Closet - are you okay with that?

I think it could be a tough guy, a wimp or anywhere in between. I think he should be able to keep his sexuality to himself or be open with it but I don't think coming out itself proves he is tough. I'm sure he will take a lot of grief but also get a lot of positive press. Jackie Robinson was TOUGH. This guy will not be in the same galaxy. That is not a criticism. I think it is good that things like this are easier than they used to be but there is no denying they are easier.

I would think that it is self-evident for that player to be extremely mentally tough, otherwise he simply would stay in the closet. The reason Branch Rickey chose Robinson was because he thought he would be the most mentally tough, there were more talented players he could have chosen and considered. It was a very wise move.

This, obviously, is nothing like what Jackie Robinson faced. But the guy will have to take an enormous amount of attention, interviews, ridicule, ribbing, some gay bashing, etc, and if wasn't 100% up to it, there is no way he would be the first.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who gives a damn what these players do in their personal life is watching the wrong league. Most are doing a lot worse things than loving some guy. See Lynch, Marshawn. Or Ochoslaps girls, or Donte Killer Stallworth, or Brady baby killer. Ok I don't have proof about the last one, but it's a safe assumption.

As long as the player is playing football at a high level, I don't care who and/or what they bone off the field.

And even if they aren't playing at a high level, I still don't care. I'll just dislike you for playing like crap. Stop playing like crap, ya jerk.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I would completely respect a Buffalo Bills player for coming out. Unfortunately, the first player will draw a lot of attention, which could be a significant distraction. Hopefully a player comes out, then is followed quickly by a handful of others on other teams to diffuse the atttention.

Sensible point - I wouldn't appreciate the distraction. Other than that, it's his own business.

Do we even need a thread to discuss this?

Good point. I have no problem with threads discussing the role of race in coaching hires, what I think of the way a player expresses their faith, or one dedicated to naming the league's biggest thug at each position...but THIS one goes too far!

Why is this a thread? What century is this again??

This type of discussion is for racists and bigots which I thought were out of style.

or perhaps it's just a bad way to start a conversation.

If you ask someone if they are a racist in a public forum would that be inappropriate?

You are straight out asking who is homophobic and who is not.

To answer what you are trying get across I say nobody should care anymore and yes I am okay with it.

The only problem I have with gay people is if they go around hitting on and groping people they shouldn't.

I have that problem with people who are straight, crooked, soft, hard, black, white, yellow, red and rainbowy.

In all seriousness if I was gay and a fringe NFL player I would want to be the 1st one out. It probably buys you a couple of seasons in the league and potentially the opportunity to earn quite a bit of money both during and after your career (book deals, speaking engagements, etc...) With the average NFL career only being around 3 years it would be a wise business decision. The fact that it is a story is sad but the smart man will capitalize on it.