Active Player Coming Out of the Closet - are you okay with that?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have no problem with it. However, if I was an NFL player, I would certainly have concern. First the issue of AIDS and blood born pathogens. The NFL is a dirty business and people bleed. HIV is carried in blood and can be easily transmitted. That doesn't mean every gay person has HIV/AIDS, but it does call into question these issues.

Oh, my God. I am speechless at the level of ignorance displayed by this post.

Oh, my God. I am speechless at the level of ignorance displayed by this post.

Its not just ignorance on display, but a total absence of logic and reason.

High level, his post pretty much assumes that having an openly gay player in the league increases the chances of a player contracting HIV. Were we to break this post down we'd find that this position is built on the following assumptions:

There are players in the NFL with HIV.

Gay players have a higher incidence of HIV than straight players.

Openly gay players are more likely to have HIV than closeted homosexual players and straight players.

Openly gay players are more likely than closeted or straight players to infect other players with HIV.

and finally...

The tiny minority of openly gay players who have a higher incidence of HIV and greater infectivity will lead to more players contracting HIV than the the vast majority of heterosexual or closeted players with HIV, thus being an issue.

Thats simply astounding.

Its not just ignorance on display, but a total absence of logic and reason.

High level, his post pretty much assumes that having an openly gay player in the league increases the chances of a player contracting HIV. Were we to break this post down we'd find that this position is built on the following assumptions:

There are players in the NFL with HIV.

Gay players have a higher incidence of HIV than straight players.

Openly gay players are more likely to have HIV than closeted homosexual players and straight players.

Openly gay players are more likely than closeted or straight players to infect other players with HIV.

and finally...

The tiny minority of openly gay players who have a higher incidence of HIV and greater infectivity will lead to more players contracting HIV than the the vast majority of heterosexual or closeted players with HIV, thus being an issue.

Thats simply astounding.

I mean, it's a logical fallacy to judge ideas by their proponents, but this really does say a lot about that side of the fence...

EDIT: I am almost wondering if his dog got a hold of his keyboard and posted that...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

This thread started out so uplifting and then got so out of hand once the PPP'ers showed up. I would be proud of a gay child because I would be proud of my child Jaybee c'mon man. As for Rob well I just keep getting reminded of your "want to punch gay people for kissing in public thread." Phil Hansen - HIV really? I mean really?

I don't know what to even say. Yes this is a big deal. Do you know why gay people have to "come out"? If they don't it becomes a scandal that they may be gay. Then they have 2 choices come out on someone else's terms or deny what they truly are. Gay as a choice? My Aunt told me a story about knowing she was gay in Kindergarten. She had no idea that she was gay but that she did know that she had a crush on the cutest girl in her class - not the boys (and she was not sexually abused).

I would ask any of you that think it is a choice to research transgender and Gender Indentity issues. There are several instances of it showing up as soon as the child can talk!

Gay people want to procreate? Maybe maybe not. Is it wrong that they want to have a family but do not want to have sex with the opposite sex?

To the poster that said it was a recent phenomenon - do you think that has anything to do with the socail acceptability? It wasn't okay to be gay and it certainly would not have been okay to be gay and raise children! In 2013 there are still people who believe that gay people raising children will make the children gay! Oh wait that is some of you that think it is a nurture issue.

Much the way hindsight pointed out - I can't imagine a time when black people didn't have the same rights as me. I hope hope hope my kids feel the same way about gay people!

People Are Gay Deal With It