Active Player Coming Out of the Closet - are you okay with that?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that the reporter sites an actual player but statistically it is possible that there could be zero gay players in the NFL.

The NFL is hardly a true slice of the American population. People are always shocked when I point out that only 2% of the US Population is gay or lesbian. People generally think it is much higher because of all the press it gets. The number is even less in Canada not that there's anything wrong with it.

http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/05/americans-have-no-idea-how-few-gay-people-there-are/257753/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percentage_of_Canada_is_gay#page1

I realize that the reporter sites an actual player but statistically it is possible that there could be zero gay players in the NFL.

The NFL is hardly a true slice of the American population. People are always shocked when I point out that only 2% of the US Population is gay or lesbian. People generally think it is much higher because of all the press it gets. The number is even less in Canada not that there's anything wrong with it.

http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/05/americans-have-no-idea-how-few-gay-people-there-are/257753/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percentage_of_Canada_is_gay#page1

Statistically speaking, 2% would be more than one per team and getting solidly to two on the field for each team the first day of camp between coaches and 80 man rosters

It would have to be a huge anamoly for the nfl to be at zero. Granted on all fronts it's a unique sample (biological and cultural unique features) but it seems near impossible. At 2% that would put 5 drafted and many more UDFA in any given year.

It's one thing to break barriers. It is quite another to use a sport as a publicity stunt. It would seem the media leaks are in preparation for 15 minutes of fame.

There are no rules prohibiting gay players. Any coach would sign drag queen if he could throw 80 yard perfect spirals. No barrier. To me, pronouncing your sexuality in an arena where one is evaluated on performance and professionalism, indicates that you're not really here to play football.

Statistically speaking, 2% would be more than one per team and getting solidly to two on the field for each team the first day of camp between coaches and 80 man rosters

It would have to be a huge anamoly for the nfl to be at zero. Granted on all fronts it's a unique sample (biological and cultural unique features) but it seems near impossible. At 2% that would put 5 drafted and many more UDFA in any given year.

That's assuming that the NFL would meet the demographics of America, on the surface one would assume most players would not fit the American demographic. Most would assume the number would tend to be lower?

Having said that it probably goes the other way.

(-;

yes, yes, and yes. there have been hundreds of gay men in the NFL since it began, and it seems to have got along just fine. if someone comes out, good for him, but the media coverage will be silly and i'm already tired of it even though it hasn't begun yet. it would be nice if all the uptight people who think gay sex is icky could just evolve and realize that it's not that big of a deal. nobody should care how anybody prefers to have an orgasm, as long as rape and pedophilia aren't involved... let's get over it and stop talking about it.

There should be no closet. It shouldn't be a big deal, but some people make it a big deal because they are bigoted and hateful. Unfortunately, I can see some redneck NFL fans making it a big deal.

People like their stereotypes. They like to think of gay guys as wimpy, effeminate, and working as a hairstylist or interior decorator. Breaking stereotypes pisses idiots off. For example, an educated, successful, black person used to be called "uppity" because they didn't fit an idiot racist's stereotype.

Same goes for football. The ultimate masculine sport doesn't allow a myopic idiot's view of of where a gay person should have a career. Hopefully we'll see that change in our lifetime, but there may be some ugliness.

......and I'll say it because nobody else will. You don't have to shower with em after a game. Using this great game to promote a lifestyle, and a political "football". You go ahead and get brain-washed by the media. I wont, and never will.

Disgusting.

So having a few players being gay is "promoting a lifestyle?" Really? This has to be a joke post.

Does being gay make him any slower, any weaker, or any less able to perform his position skills then before WE KNEW he was gay?

Honestly it is good for gay rights and good for humanity. What a man does behind behind closed doors is his right as long as they are not infringing on anyone elses rights.

I hope his team mates support him and act like mature professionals about it.

+1

Honestly who cares anymore.

+10000

The only reason I hope it doesn't happen is because every media idiot in the world will talk about nothing else for the entire year. It would be like Farve's retirement x T'eo raised to the power of Tebow.

Why is this a thread? What century is this again??

This type of discussion is for racists and bigots which I thought were out of style.

or perhaps it's just a bad way to start a conversation.

If you ask someone if they are a racist in a public forum would that be inappropriate?

You are straight out asking who is homophobic and who is not.

To answer what you are trying get across I say nobody should care anymore and yes I am okay with it.

The only problem I have with gay people is if they go around hitting on and groping people they shouldn't.

I have that problem with people who are straight, crooked, soft, hard, black, white, yellow, red and rainbowy.

I started the thread in hopes that it would show that fans have no issue with sexuality and it certainly looks like they don't, which is a great statement on the progress we've made in just a couple of short decades in this country.

I do think that this person is going to have a more difficult time of it then some of you may imagine. After all, the NFL did just have to chastise its own teams for illegally asking some draft eligible players is they were gay. I also wonder if some teammates might refuse to shower with the guy due to the pseudo-macho climate of the locker room.

I guess the question I should have asked is: Considering that it's estimated that 10% of the overall population is gay, do you think this man's courage will lead to the other 160 or so gay NFL players to come out?

Would be an empowering move for many if they did.

(Just read above where there are stats saying the number is just 2% - whatever the numbers, I still hope all players can feel free to be who they are).

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

I don't know how I'll feel. Part of me is wondering why there has to be an announcement at all? Why can't the player just start living his life in the open air? -Be gay without dragging football into it.

I think it's a matter of would you rather come out on your own terms or always be waiting for the deadspin exclusive to break the news?

The only reason being gay is such a big deal is Becuase everyone makes a big deal out of it. Honestly, a lot of people that are against it don't care if you do it, they just get annoyed with the amount of publicity it gets.

people need to stop making a big deal out of it and dragging it into situations of life that have nothing to do with it, (football) and maybe "gay bashers" will go away and accept it, then we wouldn't be having conversations like this.

To put it In sports terms, why do most people despise the cowboys/patriots/Yankees/celtics/penguins? Because those are the teams that get ALL of the attention. On the other hand, you have lots of people siding with them Becuase it's the cool thing to do and they want to be accepted. Maybe if espn stopped giving these teams all the press, the haters would be fewer. See the similarities ?

Edited by Bills!Win!

I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one gay player on every team.

What the hell difference does it make?

Very close. Statistics say, given there is 1,696 players in the NFL, not even counting PS players, and homosexual males make up about 2% of the US population (http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=13320565), then there is about 34 homosexual players in the NFL.

Edit: oops, I see this has already been discussed.

Edited by kas23