Why does Beane get a pass?

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The Bills have won the 2nd most games in the league since 2020.

They've won four straight division titles.

The only possible reason to say he "deserves" criticism is because they haven't won a title. But if that's the case, then 31 GMs every single year deserve criticism.

Looking at moves in a vacuum for any GM across the league, you're going to see some moves that worked and some that didn't. No GM is immune to mistakes. But looking at the total output and production of a team gives you a sense of what kind of job the team's architect has done. The fact remains that only the Chiefs have won more games than the Bills since 2020, that they've won their division four years in a row, and that they are contenders year in and year out.

You want perfection? Go watch a Kurosawa film or listen to a Betthoven sonata. 

Beane is a very good GM.

P.S. Brandon Beane DOES receive criticism, and if you don't see it, then you're not looking in the right places. Go turn on ESPN, Fox Sports 1, or listen to any drive time football radio show, and you'll hear scores of criticism of Beane and his Bills. Heck, the buzziest phrase in football the past two season has been "the Bills window is closed".

If you're angry at Brandon Beane and want to criticize him, then just say that. Don't manufacture an immunity to criticism that he does not actually possess.

Top notch post.  Well said. 

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

Defense line draft picks that never pan out

Defense tackle signings that are not good enough

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Just curious why he is so highly regarded when these issues have come to roost fully

Going to be a long five months!!! Please!!!

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Cmon man, Poyer and White were here before Beane got here

Again, I cant believe Im agreeing with Ethan!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Some of us did not like the 2022 offseason at the time and it has proven to be pretty much an unmitigated disaster:

Free Agent signings:

Jordan Phillips - $5m

Tim Settle - $9m

Daquan Jones - $14m

Von Miller - $120m

Roger Saffold - $6.25m

Ryan Bates - $17m

OJ Howard - $3.5m

Jameson Crowder - $2m

Extension:

Stefon Diggs - $96m

First round pick:

Kaiir Elam

I know he had some decent success with some of his later picks - Cook, Bernard, Benford - but it is by any standards a bit of a disaster of an offseason.

100%

This is what folks don’t get when they evaluate off-season of teams.

A bad off-season may not seem so bad to start. But it can compound and be felt even worse 2-3 years down the road.

Just like the Chiefs passing on Higgins for CEH. It was called by many as a bad move at the time, by others it was a luxury pick they could afford. 3 years later, Mahomes is posting his worst statistical season throwing to trash cans. 

You can trace all this stuff back. Building (or failing to build) and your strategy to do so matters so much more than folks give it credit for.

We have a useless, depleted DL now because our process building out the DL 2 years ago failed. 

We have a depleted WR group now, because we didn’t even try to build that room two years ago besides extending Diggs.

It always comes back. You can mess up here and there but sometimes teams don’t survive disaster on disaster in a zero sum league. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Just curious why he is so highly regarded when these issues have come to roost fully

All GMs swing and miss sometimes.  All of them.

But I don't know if anyone is giving him a pass.  I don't see any Bills fans naming him "GM of the Century" or something like that. 

If you look at his whole body of work, you have to say he's an above-average GM.  I'm too lazy to look it up but I think we've won the 2nd most games of any team in the NFL since 2020.  Beane's doing better than most GMs.  

And, yet, we have no Lombardi's to show for all his work.  The mistakes you mention are part of the reason why.  I've been a Beane critic for years.  I don't think he's a bum by any means.  I do believe, however, that he needs to up his game for us to win a trophy.  

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Might as well throw in our scouting staff and coordinators too. The Bills scouts on D Line have been very bad. 

I’d assume the O-line coordinators told Beane Teller wasn’t going to be him. 

32 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Von miller contract - Most were on board at the time, and he was living up to it until he got hurt.  No issues for me, just bad luck

Dawson Knox contract - I agree this was a bit high and a future contract.  No one knew Kincaid would be coming.  Knox restructured and gave money back.  No issues

Stephen diggs contract - No one had an issue at the time.  He fell off a cliff earlier than expected and no one thought he was going to push his way out.  

Defense line draft picks that never pan out - AJ just re-signed, Oliver got an extension.  Groot is getting picked up.  Are you just referring to Boogie?

Defense tackle signings that are not good enough - Um, Jones?

No reliable pass rusher - Until injuries, we had one of the best past rush in the league last year.  As people got healthy, the pass rush came back

Wyatt Teller give away - Seriously?  This has been addressed multiple times.

Edmunds - Did you want to pay him that much money as the Bears did?  If anything, Beane got a full 5 years out of him, a comp pick, and quietly upgraded with a replacement draft pick.  That's the life of the NFL sometimes

As always, great post!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The only possible reason to say he "deserves" criticism is because they haven't won a title. But if that's the case, then 31 GMs every single year deserve criticism.

Looking at moves in a vacuum for any GM across the league, you're going to see some moves that worked and some that didn't. No GM is immune to mistakes. But looking at the total output and production of a team gives you a sense of what kind of job the team's architect has done. The fact remains that only the Chiefs have won more games than the Bills since 2020, that they've won their division four years in a row, and that they are contenders year in and year out.

Beane is a very good GM.

P.S. Brandon Beane DOES receive criticism, and if you don't see it, then you're not looking in the right places. Go turn on ESPN, Fox Sports 1, or listen to any drive time football radio show, and you'll hear scores of criticism of Beane and his Bills. Heck, the buzziest phrase in football the past two season has been "the Bills window is closed".

If you're angry at Brandon Beane and want to criticize him, then just say that. Don't manufacture an immunity to criticism that he does not actually possess.

the Bills are the second best team in football because McD is a good coach and Josh is the second best QB in football.

Beane deserves massive credit for hitting Josh Allen and massive criticism for most of his other moves.

Do you disagree with that?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I think Beane has done a great job overall, but he gets carried away with signing subpar veteran players. People like pointing to the Diggs and Knox contracts, but I don’t mind taking a chance with special talent. It doesn’t always work out, and that’s ok. We lost more money signing below average offensive and defensive lineman when cheaper options were available. It’s the smaller amounts that add up to big numbers, just like personal finance. The excessive small unnecessary purchases are what destroys the budget. That’s what’s happened here the past offseason. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Because nobody on this board complains 

Ya, Im pissed off about being a perrenial playoff team; can we have Rex Ryan back, seriously!!!!

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Your right, torches and pitchforks, we must march on One Bills Drive right now!!!  By the way who’s bringing the beer?

Fire everybody, the TBD mantra!

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

the Bills are the second best team in football because McD is a good coach and Josh is the second best QB in football.

Beane deserves massive credit for hitting Josh Allen and massive criticism for most of his other moves.

Do you disagree with that?

Stop using facts and logic, you need emotion!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Beane is not perfect and he is no genius.

I have liked most of his offseason moves over the years. 

I have posted my disagreements with his choices.  In many cases I was proven wrong - Bernard for sure. I hated the Oliver pick and didn't like the extension. Oliver is not a top 10 draft pick talent but he is very good. I hated trading Diggs and I hated Epenesa pick and now extension. 

I actually like the Benjamin trade and the Miller signing. Really like the Knox deal as he was one of my favorites though he simply has not developed.

He has been elite at getting guys to rework their deals.

His two flaws are giving up too many picks moving up in the draft and until this last year he failed at building a OL.

The problem is KC has a better team and a better HC. In almost every way we are the Manning/Dungy Colts. Our only hope is Allen can win at least one Lombardi 

• Like (+1) 1

He gets plenty of criticism, especially the last two years.  However, we should ask how many NFL GMs have clearly done a better job than Beane.  I feel there is only two obvious ones and a bunch who are on a similar level

1. Brett Veach - Chiefs (obviously)

2. Howie Roseman -- Eagles: Two Super Bowls with two different QBs and two different coaches but the team fell apart at the end of last year and they might be in a bit of trouble if it turns out Jalen Hurts is not the guy.

On same level  (in no particular order)

3. Eric DeCosta -- Ravens --- always has good drafts but one wonders how high their ceiling is with Lamar Jackson.

4. Brian Gutekunst -- Packers --- nice job transitioning from Rogers to Love.

5. John Lynch -- 49ers -- two super bowls in the weaker NFC.  However one has to wonder how much is luck and the extra draft picks the 49ers have gotten, considering how many complete busts he has had in the first round (Solomon Thomas, Reuben Foster, Trey Lance, Javon Kinlaw).   Beane never made a mistake anywhere close to the disastrous trade up for Trey Lance.

6. Wes Snead -- Rams -- one Super Bowl victory but mortgaged the future for it.

7. Duke Tobin -- Bengals -- got to one Super Bowl but has not been able to protect Joe Burrow and was extremely lucky to get that Super Bowl.

Off to a good start but not yet proven:

8. Nick Caserio -- Texans -- masterful job rebuilding the Texans and still has a lot of draft capital.

9. Brad Holmes -- Lions -- only two years on the job so far so will need to see sustained success.

I don't know if the OP thinks Beane should be fired but you certainly aren't getting any of these guys to come to Buffalo.

Edited by Billy Claude

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’ve been thinking that he has got a little lucky this off-season with Miller and Knox agreeing to pretty unlikely pay cuts IMO..

I wonder if he still trades Diggs if those pay cuts don’t happen? 

Perhaps getting those guys to take pay cuts was a credit to Beane's talent and not luck.  He rewarded and took care of those guys when the arrow was pointing up for them and they returned the favor by taking one for Beane and the team when the arrow wasn't.  In doing so, both guys showed that they were team-first guys and that's the kind of guy Beane wants on the roster.  Perhaps Diggs was no longer a team-first guy and now he's no longer on the roster.

It's widely known that most employees will take less money if they are treated well and like the culture where they work.  Beane (along with McDermott and the rest of the Bills staff) have worked hard to create just such a culture.  That's likely why guys are willing to take pay cuts to stick around, or, in some cases, sign for the Bills for less than they can get elsewhere.  In some cases, the money gap is just too large and guys move on.  Beane is often very open to letting guys test the market to see what they're worth before pressuring them to re-sign with the Bills.  In the cases of Edmunds and Davis, the money was too good elsewhere and they parted ways with the Bills on good terms.  For Epenesa and guys like Milano a couple of years ago, they tested the market and liked what was available in Buffalo, and they stayed.  I suspect that both could have made more money elsewhere.

Beane is not perfect and has taken appropriate criticism (see Basham, Boogie and Ford, Cody), but overall, he's done an excellent job building and maintaining a winning team, among the best in the NFL, in a market that isn't considered the most attractive one to live in/play in.

Edited by msw2112

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Some of us did not like the 2022 offseason at the time and it has proven to be pretty much an unmitigated disaster:

Free Agent signings:

Jordan Phillips - $5m

Tim Settle - $9m

Daquan Jones - $14m

Von Miller - $120m

Roger Saffold - $6.25m

Ryan Bates - $17m

OJ Howard - $3.5m

Jameson Crowder - $2m

Extension:

Stefon Diggs - $96m

First round pick:

Kaiir Elam

I know he had some decent success with some of his later picks - Cook, Bernard, Benford - but it is by any standards a bit of a disaster of an offseason.

And this is the offseason that “Big Baller Beane” picked up stream

Beane stated early this offseason he is learning, and to me he has proven he is.  Parting ways with so many older, high paid players that are fan and locker room favorites is a big step. Punt kicking that assclown Diggs is another big step.

I want to see how this draft pans out as well as post June 1st.  I am excited to be honest. 

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane's assembled a very good but not great team. That's something. He needs to get more elite players in drafts (hard when you're drafting lower) and he needs to be more careful with extending aging players.

McDermott needs far better playoff defense.

I'd say if he and McDermott don't win it all or get very close in 3 or 4 years they will both be replaced. But who knows.

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

McD and Beane are on the same level to me, tier 2.  They are very good/would get hired instantly by another team.

They just haven't proven to be able to:

1. Coach: Make necessary adjustments/get us over the hump in playoffs

2. Beane: outside of the Allen pick and Diggs trade, he hasn't drafted any "superstars".  Looking at other top-tier teams, who have multiple superstars, he has put together very good teams/depth.

Coach needs to improve, but so does Beane.  He needs to find a superstar in one of these drafts, ideally this year's.  I've also had an issue with Beane DL acquisitions, agree with his philosophy, but he has striked out alot (draft and FA).  Ignored WRs early in draft, and didn't prioritize OL until LY.

Beane and Coach aren't the problem, but we need to get better talent and execute when It matters.  They need to be better I'd we want a SB

You aren’t wrong 

15 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Perhaps getting those guys to take pay cuts was a credit to Beane's talent and not luck.  He rewarded and took care of those guys when the arrow was pointing up for them and they returned the favor by taking one for Beane and the team when the arrow wasn't.  In doing so, both guys showed that they were team-first guys and that's the kind of guy Beane wants on the roster.  Perhaps Diggs was no longer a team-first guy and now he's no longer on the roster.

It's widely known that most employees will take less money if they are treated well and like the culture where they work.  Beane (along with McDermott and the rest of the Bills staff) have worked hard to create just such a culture.  That's likely why guys are willing to take pay cuts to stick around, or, in some cases, sign for the Bills for less than they can get elsewhere.  In some cases, the money gap is just too large and guys move on.  Beane is often very open to letting guys test the market to see what they're worth before pressuring them to re-sign with the Bills.  In the cases of Edmunds and Davis, the money was too good elsewhere and they parted ways with the Bills on good terms.  For Epenesa and guys like Milano a couple of years ago, they tested the market and liked what was available in Buffalo, and they stayed.  I suspect that both could have made more money elsewhere.

Perhaps … I still say  a lot of guys wouldnt have taken the paycut… particularly in Miller’s position who might be out of the League in 12 months … 

I don’t think there is any chance Diggs would have done so … even two years ago when he liked being here .. 

Those cuts have freed up about $15 mil and made the offseason to date a bit easier to navigate for Beane … they could have freed up all of the money for Josh’s restructure I guess which could have got back about half that figure …

They are still short of  money now if they want to trade for a vet like Metcalf or even Sutton … I hope they can work something out still and that is a possibility for them …

Edited by Aussie Joe

21 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

He gets plenty of criticism, especially the last two years.  However, we should ask how many NFL GMs have clearly done a better job than Beane.  I feel there is only two obvious ones and a bunch who are on a similar level

1. Brett Veach - Chiefs (obviously)

2. Howie Roseman -- Eagles: Two Super Bowls with two different QBs and two different coaches but the team fell apart at the end of last year and they might be in a bit of trouble if it turns out Jalen Hurts is not the guy.

On same level  (in no particular order)

3. Eric DeCosta -- Ravens --- always has good drafts but one wonders how high their ceiling is with Lamar Jackson.

4. Brian Gutekunst -- Packers --- nice job transitioning from Rogers to Love.

5. John Lynch -- 49ers -- two super bowls in the weaker NFC.  However one has to wonder how much is luck and the extra draft picks the 49ers have gotten, considering how many complete busts he has had in the first round (Solomon Thomas, Reuben Foster, Trey Lance, Javon Kinlaw).   Beane never made a mistake anywhere close to the disastrous trade up for Trey Lance.

6. Wes Snead -- Rams -- one Super Bowl victory but mortgaged the future for it.

7. Duke Tobin -- Bengals -- got to one Super Bowl but has not been able to protect Joe Burrow and was extremely lucky to get that Super Bowl.

Off to a good start but not yet proven:

8. Nick Caserio -- Texans -- masterful job rebuilding the Texans and still has a lot of draft capital.

9. Brad Holmes -- Lions -- only two years on the job so far so will need to see sustained success.

I don't know if the OP thinks Beane should be fired but you certainly aren't getting any of these guys to come to Buffalo.

So DeCosta is an interesting name you bring up. I feel people around here generally see him as a good GM, but he’s had a lot of misses on draft picks. They have been throwing draft pick after draft pick at wide receivers in the first three rounds ever since they drafted Lamar-have any of them been a huge hit?

2 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

We should definitely fire him.  Imagine.  Trading away Stephen Diggs.

The nerve!

I can be super critical of Beane. I don't know WTF OP is talking about. 

That said, we have seen what Terry Pegula is capable of if you look just a few miles down route 5 at the Buffalo Sabres. It ain't good. 

The Bills should never ever let go of Brandon Beane. Him and Josh Allen are the only two people protecting this team from Terry Pegula and historical suck-itude. 

50 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Cmon man, Poyer and White were here before Beane got here

Remember when Poyer, Milano and Johnson were all set to leave and Beane got them to stay?

11 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So DeCosta is an interesting name you bring up. I feel people around here generally see him as a good GM, but he’s had a lot of misses on draft picks. They have been throwing draft pick after draft pick at wide receivers in the first three rounds ever since they drafted Lamar-have any of them been a huge hit?

I feel that De Costa still gets a bump reputation wise from the glow of Ozzie Newsome.  The wide receivers may be limited by Jackson but Marquise Brown hasn't looked great in Arizona either.

Edited by Billy Claude

32 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Beane's assembled a very good but not great team. That's something. He needs to get more elite players in drafts (hard when you're drafting lower) and he needs to be more careful with extending aging players.

I'd say if he and McDermott don't win it all or get very close in 3 or 4 years they will both be replaced. But who knows.

And then we would have wasted Josh’s entire 20s, Josh will probably want out before that

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Free Agent signings:

Jordan Phillips - $5m

Tim Settle - $9m

Daquan Jones - $14m

Von Miller - $120m

Roger Saffold - $6.25m

Ryan Bates - $17m

OJ Howard - $3.5m

Jameson Crowder - $2m

Extension:

Stefon Diggs - $96m

First round pick:

Kaiir Elam

That picture is very ugly and helps to explain why KC has been able to reload. 

2 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Please provide me with an example outside of Denver and Greenbay that have as much money tied up as us on no production 

Second most wins in the NFL since he took over. First are the Chiefs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, bobobonators said:

Second most wins in the NFL since he took over. First are the Chiefs. 

That does not fit the desired narrative. We SUCK! Get used to it! 

😋

11 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

And then we would have wasted Josh’s entire 20s, Josh will probably want out before that

Maybe. To be clear, I'm not saying McBeane should get 3 to 4 more years but I get the feeling they have Pegula's trust and have a longer leash than normal.

And no, I won't be thrilled if Josh is in his 30s and hasn't made a Super Bowl.

3 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Josh Allen

See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Free Agent signings:

Jordan Phillips - $5m

Tim Settle - $9m

Daquan Jones - $14m

Von Miller - $120m

Roger Saffold - $6.25m

Ryan Bates - $17m

OJ Howard - $3.5m

Jameson Crowder - $2m

Extension:

Stefon Diggs - $96m

First round pick:

Kaiir Elam

This is why I can’t understand why people criticize McDermott more than Beane.  That is an abomination of a performance by a GM, but it’s the coach’s fault they can’t beat the Chiefs.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Beane is a very good GM.

@Sharky7337 Do you have a rebuttal to this, or are you just another hit-and-run fan?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

Are we very good? And did Beane really do much?

Who are the biggest contributors at the biggest position over the last 5 years? And how many of them were Pre-Beane?

Pre-Beane:

Tre

Dawkins

Milano

Hyde

Poyer

Post-Beane:

Allen

Edmunds

Taron Johnson

Diggs

Oliver

Davis

Rousseau ?

Cook?

Bernard?

Kincaid?

Torrence?

That list is kind of sobering. The Beane "stars" from 2018 to current day ain't really stars, outside of Allen and Diggs, maybe Oliver.

We feel exactly how we are supposed to about our team. We are a team whose best players were all acquired 4-7 years ago, and most of their careers have either faded or ended.

4 years ago, we had 3 All-Pro/ProBowlers in the secondary, and Taron Johnson was probably our 4th best DB. Today, he's our second best DB, narrowly beating out a 6th round pick out of Villanova.

4 years ago, Gabe Davis was our fourth best WR. Last year, he was our second best. And today, Shakir is our best WR by default.

3 years ago, our best EDGE player was probably Rousseau. Today, it's still Rousseau, by default.

Now a lot of our best players got old. That's not Beane's fault. But he is tasked with maintaining a talent pipeline to offset those losses. And he has failed, imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Are we very good? And did Beane really do much?

Who are the biggest contributors at the biggest position over the last 5 years? And how many of them were Pre-Beane?

Pre-Beane:

Tre

Dawkins

Milano

Hyde

Poyer

Post-Beane:

Allen

Edmunds

Taron Johnson

Diggs

Oliver

Davis

Rousseau ?

Cook?

Bernard?

Kincaid?

Torrence?

That list is kind of sobering. The Beane "stars" from 2018 to current day ain't really stars, outside of Allen and Diggs, maybe Oliver.

We feel exactly how we are supposed to about our team. We are a team whose best players were all acquired 4-7 years ago, and most of their careers have either faded or ended.

4 years ago, we had 3 All-Pro/ProBowlers in the secondary, and Taron Johnson was probably our 4th best DB. Today, he's our second best DB, narrowly beating out a 6th round pick out of Villanova.

4 years ago, Gabe Davis was our fourth best WR. Last year, he was our second best. And today, Shakir is our best WR by default.

3 years ago, our best EDGE player was probably Rousseau. Today, it's still Rousseau, by default.

Now a lot of our best players got old. That's not Beane's fault. But he is tasked with maintaining a talent pipeline to offset those losses. And he has failed, imo.

We have the 2nd-most wins in the league that past five years. If you think that's all Josh Allen, that's your prerogative. I think Allen is a huge reason but there are other teams with franchise QBs who haven't won that many games.

That, combined with the early playoff exits (though the best team in the league, KC, s a big reason why), counts as very good but not great to me. If you want to think we're mediocre, go ahead.

3 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Winning the AFC East in 4 of his 5 seasons here. Trading Ryan Bates to a team that tried to get him for nothing.

Let's see Josh Allen, James Cook, Khalil Shakir, Dalton Kincaid, Tyson Brown, O'Cyrus Torrence, Greg Rousseau, Ed Oliver, Terrell Bernard, Taron Johnson, Christian Benford. Getting a replacement for an injured Tre White along with a draft pick in a trade. Re-signing Josh Allen, Da'Quan Jones, Matt Milano, Dion Dawkins to below market deals. That's just for starters...