Diggs traded to Texans for picks

Just now, Beck Water said:

The Texans were never locked into keeping Diggs after this year, but Diggs was locked into playing for the Texans for 3 more years if they wanted him to.

That, to me, would’ve been the W. 

If he doesn’t live up to the deal, they can cut him at any point.  If it goes well, you have a good WR on an 18M per year to year deal.  Team has full control.

Give up a potential Top 40 pick next year for some late Day 3’s and a rental doesn’t hit the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

With Diggs reworking his deal, does that affect our cap hit at all I wonder?

Also, if he gave any money back to them instead of us, that's kinda messed up

He did not give money back to them.  The opposite - they gave extra guaranteed money, from next year, to him.

The Texans are definitely giving him the red carpet, "I am a #1 WR, woo me" guy. 

It's very puzzling to see the disparity between that, various pundit takes, and listening to Cosell on OBD - who is not a Bills shill, he is "Facts on Tape"  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

He did not give money back to them.  The opposite - they gave extra guaranteed money, from next year, to him.

The Texans are definitely giving him the red carpet, "I am a #1 WR, woo me" guy. 

It's very puzzling to see the disparity between that, various pundit takes, and listening to Cosell on OBD - who is not a Bills shill, he is "Facts on Tape"  

It's going to be really interesting to me how this plays out in Houston this year.  With Diggs in a prove it year, he's going to want to be the guy and really drive up his value.  Houston has a lot of options on that offense and Diggs may not get what he wants.  However, Diggs also can't go full Diva if he doesn't get the production he wants, as that could also scare off other teams.

Either way, I think he will end up in Dallas.  For how much and how long....who knows?

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

It's going to be really interesting to me how this plays out in Houston this year.  With Diggs in a prove it year, he's going to want to be the guy and really drive up his value.  Houston has a lot of options on that offense and Diggs may not get what he wants.  However, Diggs also can't go full Diva if he doesn't get the production he wants, as that could also scare off other teams.

Either way, I think he will end up in Dallas.  For how much and how long....who knows?

He is pretty good at not going FULL DIVA but still being a huge PIA. he is very passive aggressive. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

He will want to be “the guy”, without being “that guy.” It will be an interesting balancing act for sure. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If they have to sign a #1 WR in 2025 that means Beane failed miserably at his job in 2024.

Good point.  You're exactly right and I actually made the same point yesterday.  If Beane hits on a WR in the draft it completely changes the future of the franchise by getting younger and cheaper at a key position (and less drama) to complement other promising pass catchers in Kincaid and Shakir.

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

Yeah, I think they would’ve been moving on from him at age 33 or 34 anyway - when the dead cap was manageable. What were his cap hits those later years? I still think it was a deal that could’ve gone for half the length at the same $24M AAV. If Diggs and his people rejected that (they wouldn’t have) then he would’ve had to play out the rest of his deal. Gotta be more shrewd. Now we’re left paying him $31M NOT to play this year. 

The dead cap hit in 2026 (heading into his age 33 season) would have been 13 million on something like a 28 million dollar cap number. A sizable penalty but one the Bills could manage. The dead cap hit in 2027 (heading into his age 34 season) would have been very low like 2ish million on a 27 million dollar cap number. 

Diggs isn't a dynamic athlete and hasn't had many major injuries and no serious injuries. So his game would still be effective even if he lost a bit of his athleticism in his 30's. I am fine with eating the cost this year (the money was sunk into Diggs anyway) and getting a premium draft pick next year and a ton of cap space going forward. Just gotta nail the draft which is true every year. 

16 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

i love that they cut those years off his contract. they think it's gonna make him highly motivated, but it's a double edged sword.  he is gonna be on his worst behavior very quickly if things aren't going perfectly. 

Diggs agreed to cut the years off. Not sure why that was the case? Even if he puts up 100 catches 1000+ yards and a solid TD total he's going to enter free agency at age 32, I can't see a team giving him a 3-4 year deal at age 32 for huge money. WR's even elite ones usually fall off around age 33/34 very rarely will a WR put up 1000 yard seasons at age 35 or older. 

Only 18 times has an aged 35 or older player had a 1000 yard receiving season. And 3 of those seasons came from Jerry Rice (1998, 2001 and 2002) and it hasn't happened since 2014 when Steve Smith did it. I am just some random guy online and I know this information so I imagine NFL front offices are aware of this. So why Diggs wants to be a free agent is puzzling to me? Would he want to chase a ring or does he think he can get a team to give him a bigger 3 year deal than he was already under? 

• Agree 1

Who is his agent holy moly.  Got Diggs and his impossible to trade contract traded to his preferred destination, got him more guaranteed $$ for 2024, and got him the opportunity to get himself a new deal in 2025.

That is superb representation right there.

Wow.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

He will want to be “the guy”, without being “that guy.” It will be an interesting balancing act for sure. 

If he could do that he’d probably still be playing in Minnesota.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Who is his agent holy moly.  Got Diggs and his impossible to trade contract traded to his preferred destination, got him more guaranteed $$ for 2024, and got him the opportunity to get himself a new deal in 2025.

That is superb representation right there.

Wow.

only if his new deal is for more than $19mil/yr

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, papazoid said:

only if his new deal is for more than $19mil/yr

But he had no guaranteed money left on the old one. 

Clearly that has to be his line of thinking.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

Good point.  You're exactly right and I actually made the same point yesterday.  If Beane hits on a WR in the draft it completely changes the future of the franchise by getting younger and cheaper at a key position (and less drama) to complement other promising pass catchers in Kincaid and Shakir.

I compliment you for spelling "complement" correctly. 🙂

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Playing catch up on the day. 

Diggs has always been tradable post restructure with Buffalo because it relieved all cap responsibility from the receiving team bar one $3M bonus. Which is honestly fairly minimal

The $18M-ish per year cap number hovers around mid-teens (among WR cap hits) year over year. He isn't expensive in comparison to his peers. If he didn't perform to a mid level no 1 WR he was always cut-able on short notice for next to zero cap implications. 

Stef has always been a decent trade for the receiving team. Some posters just got hung up on "$31M in dead cap" so they quickly labeled him "untradable". The disciples over at Cover 1 helped carve this fake news into stone. But ultimately the facts have not changed, and the facts are why we got a 2nd for Stefon Diggs and LAC got a 4th for Keenan Allen.

Edited by Mango
Fat fingers
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Process said:

After seeing the reworked contract this is a wild trade for Houston. Not in a good way. Not sure what they are thinking. 

They are thinking that with Stroud at QB, their Super Bowl window has officially opened. I agree. Good for them, I think they’re doing it right. 

I think the move also makes sense for us. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

With Diggs reworking his deal, does that affect our cap hit at all I wonder?

Also, if he gave any money back to them instead of us, that's kinda messed up

He actually needed more money. 3M more on his 18.5M. And wanted FA in 2025. So they turned him into a rental and gave him more money. 

Telling. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He actually needed more money. 3M more on his 18.5M. And wanted FA in 2025. So they turned him into a rental and gave him more money. 

Telling. 

Just saw Dawkins post about Diggs , but that's about it. Not sure if there were more 

• Like (+1) 1

after reading Dianna Russini say today that Diggs has been in contact with CJ Stroud and the texans players for over a month I wish Josh Allen would have publicly ripped diggs on the sideline after his absurd drop of a perfect pass in the most important moment of the year.

He was always too nice with the guy publicly and I know that is his demeanor and its admirable but I think he is going to love never being in this type of position again with an ego maniac like diggs.

that crap with diggs and his overrated brother last year made me mental.  I really truly hope someone in the locker room said something but I bet since Diggs had the whole situation manipulated to where he can say whatever and no one can ever question him I bet no one did.

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

after reading Dianna Russini say today that Diggs has been in contact with CJ Stroud and the texans players for over a month I wish Josh Allen would have publicly ripped diggs on the sideline after his absurd drop of a perfect pass in the most important moment of the year.

He was always too nice with the guy publicly and I know that is his demeanor and its admirable but I think he is going to love never being in this type of position again with an ego maniac like diggs.

that crap with diggs and his overrated brother last year made me mental.  I really truly hope someone in the locker room said something but I bet since Diggs had the whole situation manipulated to where he can say whatever and no one can ever question him I bet no one did.

I'm glad 17 didn't feel the need to stoop to that level.. That drop was atrocious 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, JerseyBills said:

I'm glad 17 didn't feel the need to stoop to that level.. That drop was atrocious 

yea he never would because he is not that guy but fair is fair and had Allen underthrown him we all know diggs would have been sure to point it out in his stupid shady way.

• Like (+1) 2

Tweet speaks for itself. Love it   

7 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

yea he never would because he is not that guy but fair is fair and had Allen underthrown him we all know diggs would have been sure to point it out in his stupid shady way.

💯💯

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If they have to sign a #1 WR in 2025 that means Beane failed miserably at his job in 2024.

I don't agree.  Diggs already wasn't playing like a #1 for most of 2023. After week 6, he was basically a possession receiver. He had 52 and 21 yards in the two playoff games. 

Beane only needs to replace Diggs' production in 2024. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

31 minutes ago, Mango said:

Diggs has always been tradable post restructure with Buffalo because it relieved all cap responsibility from the receiving team bar one $3M bonus. Which is honestly fairly minimal

The $18M-ish per year cap number hovers around mid-teens year over year. He isn't expensive in comparison to his peers. If he didn't perform to a mid level no 1 WR he was always cut-able on short notice for next to zero cap implications. 

Stef has always been a decent trade for the receiving team. Some posters just got hung up on "$31M in dead cap" so they quickly labeled him "untradable". The disciples over at Cover 1 helped carve this fake news into stone. But ultimately the facts have not changed, and the facts are why we got a 2nd for Stefon Diggs and LAC got a 4th for Keenan Allen.

I don't think anyone was arguing that he wasn't potentially a good deal for the receiving team.  He's somewhere between a reasonable ROI (if you think he's now a #17 or #18 WR) and a bargain (if you think he's a very talented #1).  You can tell that by the fact that Houston is willing to sweeten his pot with an additional $3.5M.  

It's the Bills end of the bargain, the fact that the Bills will be assuming $31M dead cap AND leaving a giant WR skill shortage on their team, that folks like myself and Cover1 opined made him untradeable.

The wild card is that apparently, for reasons not entirely apparent outside OBD but the subject of endless speculation, the Bills wanted his space more than they wanted his skill.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Diggs is signed through next year as well. If he goes to Dallas it would be by way of trade or that he's cut. If he's released, he would not be eligible for the comp pick formula 

Negative.  Texans voided remaining years of his contract after this year

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/stefon-diggs-16872/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I think a more moderate move up to Brian Thomas is realistic.

Id also be fine just grabbing AD Mitchell at ~28 and move around the 2nd and grab Franklin. 

How do you see Franklin long tern in Buffalo ?

I think Bills need one impact WR as soon as they can make the deal in the draft. The second one ? not gonna Sweat where that one comes from. Speedy X who can grow

Bills are now looking for a 1A from the draft. imho

Who knows though.

beane might trade his second this year and next if he can get the player who fits the bill lol