Diggs traded to Texans for picks

2 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

No, I’m a mature adult, 45 year fan, who uses metrics.  I’m not a sycophant like you who relies on a generalized statement not even on point.

I use information and past performance to render my opinion.  You clearly just drink some Beane WR Kool Aid (Jim Jones did too).  I’m just a realist.  Beane isn’t the second coming and look at his WR picks.  Aside from the Diggs trade (which could have beenJefferson) and Shakir I remember the great Kelvin Bryant trade, Harry, Sherfield and those draft picks Zay Flowers gone ASAP, Ray-Ray McCloud (who is PR but not good WR), Hodgins (gone) and Proehl.

Yeah, I’m the one who’s wrong.  And, grow up and act like a mature adult who can discuss matters.  

I'm just saying relax, brother.

I see great things coming from this franchise this year.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

This blows a huge hole in the hull of the ship here.  

Nope!!! I’ve been assured by multiple reputable posters on this here Wall, people in the Know, that we are fine. 
   Nothing to see or question! The Bills got this😉

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

So I guess we can assume the Bills heard they are going to be on Hard Knocks this year and McDermottt didn’t want Diggs to embarrass him, so he told Beane to give him the boot. 

If the cap hit is minimized, this is a huge win for the Bills. They need guys that are going to step up in the playoffs, and hopefully they will draft someone - anyone - that will do that other than Josh. 

might be the3 dumbest thing ive read in a sea of dumb takes in this thread lol

was this posted from a HS computer lab

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Gave it a B. I think Beane did very well to get Minnesota’s 2025 2nd round pick. That team has talent, but no QB. Barring another move they will be rolling with Sam Darnold or a rookie. 

I didn't realize it was Minnesota's 2nd round pick.  That makes me feel a bit more positive.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

IMO, this played a large part in it. 

I doubt this happened with Josh. What I can see is Diggs just saying I want a trade I'm done here. He gave us some great years but the Viking posters were right back then, in a few years he'll become a cancer

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I don’t think this was originally the plan. That tweet from Diggs had to have been the last straw. No way you just let your top two WR’s walk out the door. The fact that they didn’t get more for Diggs and traded him within the conference says they just wanted to be done with him. 

Which tweet would that be?

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

Probably not but this years and next years 1sts can do it.

Throw in one of our two seconds next season and you are talking in the top 10 and one of the big 3.

This is what has to be done  at least I’m hoping , I would even swing for a HR and go get MHJ and we would probably forget about Diggs after week one 

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Something I pointed out prior to this is that there are two ways to look at the cap impact. One is the immediate, where Diggs’ cap hit is about $4M higher this season if traded. The other is that the overall cap impact would be $19M higher to keep him in 2024. It hurts this season but opens up things next. 

Side note: The Bills aren’t paying Diggs anything this season. The cap hit is from money they already paid him. 

I just meant from a cap perspective, not that they will be paying him anything extra.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

They had a smothering defense and a great D coordinator to supplement a lesser offense though. We have McD. We know our D's going to get blown up in the playoffs like it always does.

With McD in charge of the D, we know we have to put together an offense that can score 30+, possibly 40+ in most of these games to make up for McD's shortcomings to have a shot to win it. Our offense doesn't have the luxury to do what Mahomes just did. 

Oh, please! Last year by the time the playoffs rolled around, the D was starting - what? - four to five of the guys they wanted to start? And the injured included probably four of their best five defenders. And at least two of those who still played- Poyer and DaQuan - were not close to their usual selves due to injury.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, BillsShredder83 said:

might be the3 dumbest thing ive read in a sea of dumb takes in this thread lol

was this posted from a HS computer lab

I love you too! ❤️❤️❤️

I gave it a D, and that's just grading the trade in a vacuum and not looking at the dead cap from the ludicrous extension.

Diggs cooled off in the 2nd half of the season, but he still finished 13th in yards and 8th in TDs for the league. That's a really good season and he's had 4 straight really good seasons for the Bills. There's no reason to think his production will fall off a cliff, although it's fair to say he doesn't have much time left as an elite WR.

Diggs+ 5th + 6th for a 2nd is a really poor return. If you net the picks we essentially traded Diggs for a 3rd. Trading a bona fide WR1 for a 3rd rd pick is not good value. 

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

That is what I thought, but was waiting for spotrac to finalize it. 

It isn't all that massive. It is $3M more than his cap hit on the roster. 

Basically the Bills spent $3M in 2024 cap dollars today in order to free up $25M in 2025 cap dollars. 

It's massive because that dead cap would be paying Diggs (minus 3 mil), and now you don't have that on a player. 

That being said, I don't think it's wrong if all this reporting is true. Diggs is a great player but we need guys on the same page as Allen. Whatever falling out they might have been unfixable. 

Hopefully we move up a draft a top 3-4 WR this draft and continue to invest in the room.  

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, boyst said:

i'm calling it a retool. it's not a rebuild.

our benchmarks are set. the cabinets and infastructre is there.

they can trade back from the 1st and get 2 2's this year for a WR and an OL, with 3 picks in the 2nd or some other configuration. 

Who knows?  Maybe they can pull out a 1st in 2025 plus another decent 2024 pick.  Some team falls in love with potential.....

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Perhaps a deal with his buddy Joe Schoen for #6 ?   

We've had this discussion before.  Adding a 2025 2nd rounder to our draft picks is no where near enough offer to move from #28 to #6.

Edit: Virgil just posted Draftek's pick trade value chart.  While none of these trade value charts 100% pass muster as a guide to what actually happens, please look at it and do some maths on what it would actually take us to move up, in addition to a "willing buyer"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

Not sure if this has been posted yet, as I have no desire to wade through 56 pages of hand wringing, but...

Known Bills supporter and Allen defender Dave Portnoy (I say with tongue firmly in cheek) has this to say:

• Like (+1) 5

42 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Diggs is better than any rookie until proven otherwise, which is a complete unknown.  With 30 mil dead cap next season.  It was a bad decision. 

Look around the league, rookie WRs are doing very well, Diggs is still good, but he is an azs hole, and nobody likes azs holes, especially when they fall flat in the playoffs for two consecutive seasons, it had to be done, next year he worth even less, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6