Diggs traded to Texans for picks

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I didn't see this linked anywhere.  Greg Cosell on One Bills Live discussing the Diggs trade.  For those hiding under a rock and unfamiliar with Cosell, he has a long time history with NFL Films and is very well regarded as a film analyst.  He is not a clickbait seeker or a server of "hot takes"; others may differ but everything he says is based on what he sees on film, and what he says is usually worth listening to.  Nor is he a paid employee of the Bills like Brown and Tasker and Capaccio, what he says is what he sees - it may be tactful, he isn't coming on a Bills show and saying rude things, but he lets his opinion fly.

Brown: (discuss Bills cap situation, taking on extra cap)  What does it say to you?

Cosell: Well, Number 1, it tells you they were anxious to make the trade and get rid of Stefon Diggs.  I'm not in the building, I can't speak to the why.  Number 2, it tells you that there was not a big market FOR him, because this trade didn't just come about in 5 minutes.  I'm sure there have been numerous conversations over probably a meaningful amount of time and there was not a big market. 

Now, I hope fans are interested in tape reality vs. emotion, because the tape reality tells you that Stefon Diggs is not a #1 WR in the league.  He might have been on the Bills, but he's not a #1 receiver in the way we think about #1 receivers, the guys who really are.  So you're talking about a 30 year old declining player, who is not a #1.  That's essentially what the tape tells you that Stefon Diggs is.  

Now I'm sure there's a lot of raw emotion right now for Buffalo fans 'cuz it just happened, but that's the reality of the tape.

Brown: Let's dig into that a little bit more, Greg.  What do you see on tape, that shows you a, quote 'declining player' at least from being an alpha male #1 on the roster?

Cosell: I don't think he's a fully dimensional receiver at this point in his career.  He's not a true vertical dimension, now, that doesn't mean you can never catch a vertical ball, I want people to understand that.  There's a lot of guys in the league that you wouldn't call vertical receivers, who do catch "go" balls or posts.  But he's not a fully dimensional receiver, for want of a better term, he's much more of a possession-type receiver at this point in his career.  Now he's still very very good at that, that's his game, and I think that's ultimately what he is. 

You have to remember, he's not going to a team where he's going to be the #1 receiver.  He helps that team a lot, because they have Nico Collins who is a true boundary X #1 receiver, and on the Bills, Stefon Diggs, just by dint of elimination, was their #1.   But I think they're looking to get a true #1, now we'll see what happens in the draft.  And we'll see if they have something in mind with a trade...or whatever they feel, we won't know the answer certainly in the next 24 or 48 hours.  

But I think they just felt, he's 30 years old, he's declining, it's time to move on.  Let's move on from Diggs.

Tasker: One of the things we discussed as well, with a guy like Diggs, he's certainly not going to fall off a cliff.  His production** and his targets were there, even when he wasn't being as productive in the second half of last year as he was in the first half, But, this deal, like you said, there's a couple things about it.  One, it smacks of letting Diggs move on a year earlier rather than a year late.  And the financial stuff notwithstanding, the money's already been paid to Diggs that's on the cap, it's not like they're going to throw any more money to him.  And it would be hard for him to live up to the contract that he had already signed.

Cosell: He's probably, at this point in his career - I think he's going to be 31 during the season - I don't think he's going to get another big money deal at this point in his career.  Look, we know that Houston is a team that is going to have a good passing game, he's probably not going to get the same volume of targets that he got with the Bills, although that declined clearly as the season progressed [Beck sez: from 11 per game to 8 per game], so he's not going to put up the same kinds of numbers, and I don't think that the league would see him, clearly they don't, you saw what the trade was, the league clearly doesn't see him that way - he's not going to get another big-number deal.

Brown: So Greg, Let's look at the draft.....(5:25 if anyone wants to transcribe the rest.....

------------

**it's not clear to me what Tasker means by "his production and his targets were there, even when he wasn't being as productive...." if anyone can translate, please do.

This is not a novel opinion about Diggs Cosell has expressed.  Last year (I think) and earlier this season, he expressed the view that the Bills didn't have any elite talent at wide receiver, they had a single good WR.

The surprise to me was how straight out Cosell gave his interpretation of the trade, that the compensation represented a determination "let's get rid of Stefon Diggs."

So the elephant in the room here, that Cosell in his typical pattern will put out there but not explicitly say, is: since Stefon isn't a true #1 in his view but was the BILLS #1 by process of elimination (and since he was the Bills "single good WR" in earlier interviews), where exactly does that leave the Bills for receiving talent?

I absolutely love Cosell! Anytime he’s on any network I have to listen. He’s in line with what I see as well. Thomas and AD Mitchell are the 2 guys with the most “potential” to be #1 star WRs after the top 3. Love how he sidestepped the Legette question by answering with Worthy because he knows Worthy is more the type of WR the bills need. He loves mcconkey but not once did he say that’s a good fit for buffalo because he knows we have that style of player already in Shakir and Samuel. It’s hard to do rankings this year at WR because there are so many good ones. But what’s easy to see are WRs that fit a skill set the bills don’t have and Cosell pointed out 3 explosive ones that would fit what we lack in Thomas, AD and Worthy (the former 2 having the ability to be true #1 WRs). Great listen and thanks for sharing 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BeastMaster said:

You're mistaken if you think that defensive coordinators weren't prioritizing the coverage of Diggs before anyone else

Calling him closer to an afterthought is simply sour grapes on your part

Feel free to look at his numbers after Denver. They were embarrassing. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

What does it tell you that they could only get a 2025 second-round pick for the guy? Hey, the man was great when he was productive.

Lastly, let's not forget what Beane stepped into when he took the Buffalo GM job way back when and he needed to clean house. 

Trust the Beane! 

It's called making deals from a disadvantage. 

8 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

This team is only going as far as Milano takes them this year. 

Josh Allen is just a passenger on the Milano train. 🤔

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

A WR who fits may become available after the draft , Beane said that. Then there is post June 1 cuts. While hope is not a strategy, the likelihood of one of the two occuring is pretty high given the plethora of good WRs coming into the league via draft. 

Good WRs but not likely to replace the numbers WR1 or WR2 put up last season.  While I do agree Diggs has to go, they left themselves with JAGs at WR.  They have Kincaid and whoever they draft this season that have high potential. Til they reach that, the offense is setup similar to the defense. Outside Allen, it's a bunch of good players but no elite playmakers. Same as the defense. They have Milano, the rest are good together but no playmakers. 

It's been that way with this regime. They like their plug and play system. Which works great in the regular season but fails in the playoffs. The teams that win have playmakers on offense and defense. 

• Dislike 2

8 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Pretty sure if we traded Diggs after June 1st we could’ve split that $31m dead cap between 2024 and 2025.  

Assuming a team would wait to make that trade. How easy do you think it is trading a massive salary? The Texans might have gotten a rookie WR in the draft and said "never mind." The NFL is not obligated to do things when it suits you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

All the people saying “a 2nd round pick next year is only valued at a 3rd” will be thanking the heavens when the Vikings draft top 5 next year.

A 2nd round pick is a 2nd round pick. Have a little patience.

Thank you

12 hours ago, PBF81 said:

The point is that it's a season gone by.  

Same as if I offered you a free meal somewhere next year.  It doesn't help you out now/this year.  

Beane keeps kicking the can down the road on certain things, but one thing he's never done is devoted even one offseaon, much less more, much less a string of them, into building around the one thing/player upon which our destiny hinges.  

Don't get me wrong, I totally get your point.  We have to wait to see how Beane uses the 2025 pick.  Most likely he trades it.

On another note.  I for one am not a big fan of too many "void year" contracts and too many restructures.  All it does is open risk to too much dead money.

Beane has pushed it pretty hard hoping for the rings but reality has set in and it's time to regroup.

What cracks me up is many fans NOW complaining about too much dead money but are the same people wanting to restructure every player on the team.

It's a balancing act that got a little out of hand and now it's time to pay the piper.  I got no problem with that.

Im still hopeful that the team can compete this year at a high level!

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Josh Allen is just a passenger on the Milano train. 🤔

He could certainly learn from the work ethic now that 14’s commitment has left the building.  Aside from Milano still being here, we have lost what was clearly a high degree of work ethic from 13, 14, 27, 60 etc.  Let’s hope the remaining guys and some newbies pick up the slack and it starts clicking for some of the more laid back types.

33 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

All the people saying “a 2nd round pick next year is only valued at a 3rd” will be thanking the heavens when the Vikings draft top 5 next year.

the 40th overall pick in 2024 is worth exactly the same as the 40th overall pick in 2025.

for those who disagree, i will trade you my 2024 fourth round pick for your 2025 third round pick. in fact, we can do this every year if you like. 

while were at it, i will trade you my 2024 second round pick for your 2025 first round pick.......every year if you like. 

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 2

My neighbor has a cousin who went on a date with a guy who’s brother waited for an elevator next to Joe Brady and he tells me that the bills are scheming a new system where Allen can snap to himself, block for himself, drop back and pass to himself so this trade along with letting go anybody who ever made a pro bowl or wore a C on that bills jersey doesn’t phase me at all 

• Haha (+1) 1

I wonder if there was an actual decline.... or if Diggs was just pouting and not putting in full effort for the last half of the season and playoffs.

I wish we could know what Diggs' heat with the Bills was, and what was done/attempted (if anything) to fix it.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

I was done with Diggs after this... So sick of this dude not showing up in big games

Screenshot_20240404_071203_Bleacher Report.jpg

Me too.  I was a big defender of Diggs because I liked his fiery attitude and wanted more players to have it.  I knew he was a diva but he produced.

But then the moment when we need him, especially after his act towards Allen on the sidelines last playoffs....this drop completely changed how I felt about him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I would do this trade. 

I would do that in a heartbeat but wouldn't think this would be enough.  Both Bills #1 and #2 picks will be later in the round picks.

The Vikings might be gold but still, a second so 33 at the earliest.  The Giants could use one of these elite WR's as well.

24 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

He could certainly learn from the work ethic now that 14’s commitment has left the building.  Aside from Milano still being here, we have lost what was clearly a high degree of work ethic from 13, 14, 27, 60 etc.  Let’s hope the remaining guys and some newbies pick up the slack and it starts clicking for some of the more laid back types.

I could care less about work ethic. Elite playmakers are more important and right now they don't have many.  You need playmakers to win when it matters. Look at KC last year, they had Kelce for offense but their defense had many playmakers. 

Compare that to the Bills who have a bunch of good players that bring their lunch pail to work. They play good together as a team but when it matters don't have guys that are game breakers. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Andy1 said:

I think Diggs probably has wanted out since last year and Bills knew he wasn’t going to play nice with a new alpha receiver the Bills plan on drafting. That would only make the diva drama worse so it was time to cut the cord now for team chemistry. Diggs is on the downside of his career trajectory. Some alphas can’t live with another alpha. He probably wanted no part of teaching his replacement. That’s just the way uber competitive guys are sometimes. 

This is a great and accurate take.

13 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

Could this be a TBD record for how quick a thread hit 100 pages? 8 hours!

Damn proud of it as a Board member, too.

11 hours ago, Andy1 said:
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

What you are saying is true. A 2nd rounder is a 2nd rounder and in reality there is value. We got a solid return in any event.

However, when trading for future picks there is the addition to the move that the pick in and of itself is largely unknown. There is a big difference between pick 33 and pick 65. And while we can estimate right now that Minnesota "sould" end up drafting top 10 or maybe even top 5...anything can happen. I'm sure that teams dealing with Houston in last year's draft felt whatever picks they were getting for this year would be pretty high. Didn't end up that way.

Another good recent example is us trading for Rasul last year. At the time the trade was made it looked like the return pick from GB would be high up in the round. They got hot late, made the playoffs and that pick sank. 

That's where the devaluation comes in. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It's interesting.  Cosell was very clear and concise; he thinks Diggs is on the decline, he thinks Diggs isn't a "true #1", he's good but not elite.

I don't think the Bills paid Cosell off for that opinion because 1) I think Cosell cares about his cred more than $ 2) he's said similar things before.

On the other hand, we have this:

where they clearly slot Diggs in ahead of Nico Collins as a #1 WR

and then this:

where the guys are all talking about Diggs as a "freakazoid" talent, and referring to Collins as not a true #1.  (they said every team has about 3 freakazoids, and if you don't have enough freakazoids, you're gonna lose.  they said SF has 6 or 7)

"I am only an egg" relative to these guys, but what I saw of Nico Collins last year I really liked, and his Y/Tgt last season, 12, argues more boundary guy.

McCoy and all know ball, but Cosell knows his tape, so I don't know.  Maybe the former ballers have a bit of "halo effect" based on the Diggs of 2 years ago whereas Cosell is meticulously focused on what he sees?

By the way McCoy and others (Emmanuel Acho I think? not sure who is the 3rd guy) were very clear with the woman host (Joy Taylor?) that Josh Allen's relationship with Stefon Diggs is "bad".  She didn't want to theorize what it's like other than what we see, but they were very definite.

interesting that shady reveals diggs brother, told shady before it happened, that stefon was getting traded to houston. 

easy money in vegas for insiders.

• Agree 1

A few thoughts below:

1. The Diggs trade puts more pressure on Allen both in terms of play and leadership, which seems the opposite of what should be happening with Allen already shouldering too much overall responsibility.

2. Have to think Diggs wanted out, probably for awhile, and may have specified the Texans as where he wanted to go.  Given this potential dynamic, I don't think Allen had any power to keep Diggs from being traded.

3. The Bills have lost a lot of leadership this offseason.  On offense, to maintain continuity, I would have kept Morse if the plan was to trade Diggs.  I wouldn't be surprised if this makes it more likely that Hyde returns to the Bills this season.

4. If trading Diggs was the plan, I am surprised that the Bills did not take the max amount to restructure Allen this offseason.  That extra cap space would have been helpful to address the WR situation and other holes on the roster this year.

5. Will be interesting to see Beane's strategy to replace Diggs.  It certainly would make sense to draft a WR in the first round this year and possibly use draft resources to move up for a desired WR.  Also makes sense from a financial perspective to have control over a drafted player for at least the next four years.  Alternatively, is it possible that Beane views the potential availability of some top WRs next offseason as the more attractive option to replace Diggs?  I guess whether we draft a WR or defense in the first round will be a potential indication of the strategy.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I would do this trade. 

I would try to hold onto Minnys pick being they may be pretty bad this upcoming season.

It would take the sting out of having no first next season if we have a high second instead of what will likely be a later mid round selection 

And I do love Nabers...maybe moreso than MHJ. But if I were Brandon Beane, I would stand pat and take Legette, Mitchell, or Coleman, and then double down using next year's first to get a high second and select another one. This increases the likelihood that you solve the WR issue along with still having a second this season to go and add another possible impact player to the roster. 

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

What does it tell you that they could only get a 2025 second-round pick for the guy? Hey, the man was great when he was productive.

Lastly, let's not forget what Beane stepped into when he took the Buffalo GM job way back when and he needed to clean house. 

Trust the Beane! 

This seems in some ways a Bellichekian type move getting rid of a aging player that still has enough tread left on the tires to get something for them before not being able to get anything for them because other teams know they would eventually cut him .

We use to see the Pats do that all the time and this could very well be the best thing to do going forward . Beane is looking to the future and knowing him has some kind of plan in place so i am with you trust in Beane he will get us there ...  

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

What you are saying is true. A 2nd rounder is a 2nd rounder and in reality there is value. We got a solid return in any event.

However, when trading for future picks there is the addition to the move that the pick in and of itself is largely unknown. There is a big difference between pick 33 and pick 65. And while we can estimate right now that Minnesota "sould" end up drafting top 10 or maybe even top 5...anything can happen. I'm sure that teams dealing with Houston in last year's draft felt whatever picks they were getting for this year would be pretty high. Didn't end up that way.

Another good recent example is us trading for Rasul last year. At the time the trade was made it looked like the return pick from GB would be high up in the round. They got hot late, made the playoffs and that pick sank. 

That's where the devaluation comes in. 

Not just this, either 

A contending team that has a window to win (JA and the Bills) choosing to lose a pick or a player now for a future pick is shorting your team for now in order to have more in the future

I'd rather do everything possible to contend every season that Josh Allen is our QB then to punt on one

3 minutes ago, CirclnWagons said:

Does this off season mean that any player that makes a pro bowl from here on out for the Bills should just go ahead and pack their bags at the end of the season? 

No, it doesn't mean that.

• Like (+1) 3

18 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

On March 23, 2022, the Chiefs traded Hill to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for a 2022 first-round pick, a 2022 second-round pick, two fourth-round picks, and a 2023 sixth-round pick.[113] 

A 5th is not the same as 5 draft picks.

Not quite sure what you mean here. The point I was trying to make and prolly did so poorly is that you can find WRs all over the draft now. So many of the top guys last few years were not top glad if round one, but found in other rounds. Diggs was a 4th, Cheetah a 5th, Nakua a 5th. Dell a 3rd, Higgins a 2nd and on down the line. 

and I don’t think you can compare the Hill trade to this. Younger, still had upside , and Dolphins could structure contract as they wanted. 

has I said yesterday, has to tell ya something that the Giants and Shoen and Daboll prolly would not even pony up a 3rs for Steph, and their jobs are on the line this year , at least Daboll is. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I would try to hold onto Minnys pick being they may be pretty bad this upcoming season.

It would take the sting out of having no first next season if we have a high second instead of what will likely be a later mid round selection 

And I do love Nabers...maybe moreso than MHJ. But if I were Brandon Beane, I would stand pat and take Legette, Mitchell, or Coleman, and then double down using next year's first to get a high second and select another one. This increases the likelihood that you solve the WR issue along with still having a second this season to go and add another possible impact player to the roster. 

Sorry I’m confused-you would trade the Bills first round pick next year to get into the 2nd round this year? That idea seems very flawed 

28 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

4. If trading Diggs was the plan, I am surprised that the Bills did not take the max amount to restructure Allen this offseason.  That extra cap space would have been helpful to address the WR situation and other holes on the roster this year.

Honestly.. great point.

Our cap is in great shape '25 and beyond, so if we thought this was a possibility.. why not just take the full restructure?

And one has to think we knew it could happen.  Mixon's tweet about this being discussed a month ago.  Schefter reported on ESPN yesterday that Houston getting a '25 RD2 pick from the Vikings was done with this trade in mind. 

54 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I would do this trade. 

NO  WAY

two 1st's, one early 2nd & two 4th's ?? for one early 1st ??

draft history bills last two years 2nd round picks:

2023 - Torrence

2022 - Cook

while the thought of a top ten pick is enchanting.....i'd rather take my chances and keep the picks i have

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Arguing who is the “bigger fan” is a chump’s game. Everyone here is a fan in their own way. 

Completely agree.  Except for my way, right.  LOL  Tell it to those that disagree.  But when any are slammed for wanting a Championship ...  SMH. 

Edited by PBF81

I'm not saying Diggs wasn't a great receiver but our run into the playoffs and then in the playoffs I'm not even sure Diggs led in yards or catches and the offense was still playing pretty well.  It's not like he doesn't leave a hole that needs to be filled but if we draft someone who can step in and contribute it will not only help as we eat Digg's dead cap but for a several years beyond that.  I would love to see a big dose of Kincaid, Shakir, a good running game, and then a young guy (on a rookie contract) that can compete outside.  I'm sure Mahommes misses Hill but he's still lifting Lombardis none the less.

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

only Josh is irreplaceable

the bills can win with or without diggs. 

The Bills won 6 in a row without Diggs -- at least without him in a WR1 role.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

The Bills won 6 in a row without Diggs -- at least without him in a WR1 role.

in ANY role, really

his catch% rate and yardage per game plus no TD production, we'd have been better off featuring Shakir and Kincaid more.

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Honestly.. great point.

Our cap is in great shape '25 and beyond, so if we thought this was a possibility.. why not just take the full restructure?

And one has to think we knew it could happen.  Mixon's tweet about this being discussed a month ago.  Schefter reported on ESPN yesterday that Houston getting a '25 RD2 pick from the Vikings was done with this trade in mind. 

counter point...if you know ya gonna have a rough go of it this year, and your real plan is to make a serious run in 25 and beyond, take as much cap hit as you can this year to have more in later years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I could care less about work ethic. Elite playmakers are more important and right now they don't have many.  You need playmakers to win when it matters. Look at KC last year, they had Kelce for offense but their defense had many playmakers. 

Compare that to the Bills who have a bunch of good players that bring their lunch pail to work. They play good together as a team but when it matters don't have guys that are game breakers. 

Maybe if we have more corporate fans, things will get better

Can't have the riffraff around

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1