Haason Reddick Traded to Jets

bills742

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Wow. Good player. I wanted the Bills to consider him a couple of years ago. I am actually getting a little concerned about the Jets. Yeah, I know, they're the Jets, but they are undoubtedly amassing talent and if Rogers is healthy, he'll likely be an upper echelon QB still because of his incredible arm and on-field intelligence.

But they are old. In a lot of spots. The Eagles won a straight up swap of Huff for Reddick IMO.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Wow. Good player. I wanted the Bills to consider him a couple of years ago. I am actually getting a little concerned about the Jets. Yeah, I know, they're the Jets, but they are undoubtedly amassing talent and if Rogers is healthy, he'll likely be an upper echelon QB still because of his incredible arm and on-field intelligence.

Who is their OL?

1 hour ago, Logic said:

As I just saw pointed out on Twitter:

Yes, the Jets got 29 year old Reddick, but they LOST 25 year old Bryce Huff who is coming off a career year with 10 sacks.

Reddick and Huff had an identical 22% pass rush win rate last year. Huff had one less sack on 289 (!) less rushes.

So the Eagles got the younger, arguably equally productive player by signing Huff, then turned around and took advantage of the Jets' sudden need for a pass rusher by trading them the older Reddick and getting a 2nd round pick and $10 million in cap space in return.

So the Jets added a good player in Reddick, yes, but its arguably a wash with having lost Huff, but they got older and gave up a premium pick to do it.

Howie Roseman win, Joe Douglas loss.

You’re really trying to pretend that Bryce Huff is as good as Haasan Reddick?

• Eyeroll 1

Rushing the passer won’t be a problem for the jets their weakness is covering backs out of the backfield as Miami and Buffalo exposed late in the season. They  don’t really have many guys who are good at doing that. Now who knows what the draft holds but this is a good move for the jets but it also doesn’t really solve their biggest defensive flaw. 

47 minutes ago, Billl said:

You know Bills fans … many of them enjoy ridiculing every other team, despite not actually winning anything themselves. Fans that can’t acknowledge that other teams are good and will challenge the Bills are tiresome  IMO 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But they are old. In a lot of spots. The Eagles won a straight up swap of Huff for Reddick IMO.

The Jets have been building the best injured-list-bound roster in the league the past 2 offseasons.    I wonder if Douglas sees something in Hasaan that makes him think this is the year he gets injured a lot?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

It’s Huff at a smaller deal + a third vs Reddick at a larger deal. 

Huff doesn’t have to be better than Reddick today to win the trade.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Probably a lot.

His last 4 seasons were: 12.5 sacks, 11 , 16 and 11 sacks.

Premium position , gotta be north of 20 mil I would think 

Basically what we've been paying Von Miller...🤢

2 hours ago, Billl said:

What Reddick has over Huff is that he's been good for a longer period of time. Double digit sacks in four straight seasons.

But Huff had a career year last year and seems to be blossoming into an imposing pass rusher himself.

As I pointed out in my post, they two players had an identical 22% pass rush win rate last year.

As I also pointed out in my thread, Huff had just 1 less sack than Reddick, but on 289 less attempts. That's significant.

So yes, I'm suggesting that what Huff became last year may be roughly equal to what Reddick is now. I admit that Reddick has the proven longevity factor that Huff lacks, and perhaps you're insinuating that Huff's 2023 success was a flash in the pan, not likely to be duplicated.

Me? I'll take the 25 year old and the 2nd round pick over the 29 year old and the lack of that pick. YMMV.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Yeah yeah. We heard the same story last year. Rodgers is finished. 

27 minutes ago, Logic said:

What Reddick has over Huff is that he's been good for a longer period of time. Double digit sacks in four straight seasons.

But Huff had a career year last year and seems to be blossoming into an imposing pass rusher himself.

As I pointed out in my post, they two players had an identical 22% pass rush win rate last year.

As I also pointed out in my thread, Huff had just 1 less sack than Reddick, but on 289 less attempts. That's significant.

So yes, I'm suggesting that what Huff became last year may be roughly equal to what Reddick is now. I admit that Reddick has the proven longevity factor that Huff lacks, and perhaps you're insinuating that Huff's 2023 success was a flash in the pan, not likely to be duplicated.

Me? I'll take the 25 year old and the 2nd round pick over the 29 year old and the lack of that pick. YMMV.

Huff might be better three years from now and it may put NY in a worse draft and cap position three year from now, but the Jets aren’t trying to win three years from now.  They’re all in right now, and Reddick is a much better player today.  Huff had a career year from a sack standpoint, but Reddick still had more while being a much better overall player.  I’m not a huge believer in “approximate value” metrics, but Reddick was an 8 last year, and Huff was a 2.  The year before, Reddick was a 15, and Huff was a 1.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuffBr00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReddHa00.htm

That said, I don’t really disagree with anything you said up until the ‘Douglas loss, Howie win’ part.  Philly’s been to two Superbowls and won one in the last 6 years. They’re trying to build for the long-term.  The Jets don’t have that luxury.  They’re taking a rifle shot at winning now.  This “trade” furthers both of their interests, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Injuries will be their major hurdle but that is a very good roster. 

They don't scare me in the least. If they had a better coaching staff perhaps, but that team is a clown show. But hey, it seems they are shaping up as the offseason champions again 

8 minutes ago, buffblue said:

They don't scare me in the least. If they had a better coaching staff perhaps, but that team is a clown show. But hey, it seems they are shaping up as the offseason champions again 

I would prefer the "clown show" not be opener for Bills.   Sometimes you are surprised when the clowns come out of the small car.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, buffblue said:

They’ve been pretty quiet this offseason, just building one of the best rosters in the league. 

Say what you want about Saleh but when he arrived they were 2-14 with one of the worst rosters in the league.

7 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

And we needed him.  We should have made the trade.

So your argument is that the management teams of the Eagles and Bills have made yet another error after disappointing seasons cut short in the playoffs while the current management team of the Jets who hasn't made the playoffs for 5 years is making all the right moves and have assembled a "dream team" with yet another of their annual off-season championships?

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They’ve been pretty quiet this offseason, just building one of the best rosters in the league. 

Say what you want about Saleh but when he arrived they were 2-14 with one of the worst rosters in the league.

Robert Saleh has managed to win as many games in a single season as Adam Gase. He's truly reached the heights of success.

toyota-hungry.gif

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Rumors were that Reddick was unhappy because he wanted a big extension and the Eagles weren't giving him because his best year was 4 years ago and while productive was seeing diminished returns 

So hey Banner, load up on aging players on the decline 

Reddick had 16 sacks in 2022. That’s not 4 years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Who is their OL?

This offseason, they signed Ravens starting guard John Simpson. They traded for Ravens longtime starting RT Morgan Moses. They signed all-pro LT Tyron Smith, who did miss four games last season but was otherwise dominating. They have 2023 2nd round pick Joe Tippman at center, and the highly talented Alijah Vera-Tucker, who is now healthy, will be the other guard.

Their problem is no longer offensive line; it’s second receiver. However, this is a great receiver draft and they have the 10th pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

^^^

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

This offseason, they signed Ravens starting guard John Simpson. They traded for Ravens longtime starting RT Morgan Moses. They signed all-pro LT Tyron Smith, who did miss four games last season but was otherwise dominating. They have 2023 2nd round pick Joe Tippman at center, and the highly talented Alijah Vera-Tucker, who is now healthy, will be the other guard.

Their problem is no longer offensive line; it’s second receiver. However, this is a great receiver draft and they have the 10th pick.

I will address both these posts below:

The Jests FO with help from their coaches have again built a great team on paper but we all know that the Jests are the champs of winning the off-season.   They've built a roster filled with lots of expensive, older, often injured players that makes it absolutely necessary for them to make a serious playoff run in 2024 because not only are they're operating in "win now"  mode, but because the owner is likely to fire their collective arses if they fail to make the playoffs again.

Salah simply hasn't shown that he's a good enough HC to even get his team to the playoffs much less win in the post-season.   The AFC remains significantly tougher than the NFC, so just getting to the playoffs will be hard.  In the AFCE, the Jets likely have to get past the Bills and/or Fins to grab a playoff berth.  It's likely that multiple AFCN teams make the playoffs again (three made the playoffs last season, including 1 with a backup QB and the other with a pretty poor starting QB).  

Moreover, several of the moves the Jests made last season, most notably signing Rodgers' buddies and then failing to sign an adequate back QB after Rodgers' injury, suggests that there's dysfunction and/or incompetence in the FO.   I got the impression that essentially everyone on the Jests bent over backwards to accommodate Rodgers.  Maybe this wasn't their choice but a dictate from owner Woody Johnson.  

IMO, the chances of the Jests making the playoffs is south of 50% because they are depending upon a HC who hasn't demonstrated much growth after several years in the job and so many older players with injury histories to make it through the entire season unscathed.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Malazan said:

So your argument is that the management teams of the Eagles and Bills have made yet another error after disappointing seasons cut short in the playoffs while the current management team of the Jets who hasn't made the playoffs for 5 years is making all the right moves and have assembled a "dream team" with yet another of their annual off-season championships?

Robert Saleh has managed to win as many games in a single season as Adam Gase. He's truly reached the heights of success.

toyota-hungry.gif

Gase destroyed that franchise even more than normal. They’re back to respectable and IMO resemble the Tampa Bay Bucs when Brady arrived. 

Now they don’t have an Arians but if Rodgers returns and plays a full season they are a top 5 team in the AFC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, SoTier said:

^^^

I will address both these posts below:

The Jests FO with help from their coaches have again built a great team on paper but we all know that the Jests are the champs of winning the off-season.   They've built a roster filled with lots of expensive, older, often injured players that makes it absolutely necessary for them to make a serious playoff run in 2024 because not only are they're operating in "win now"  mode, but because the owner is likely to fire their collective arses if they fail to make the playoffs again.

Salah simply hasn't shown that he's a good enough HC to even get his team to the playoffs much less win in the post-season.   The AFC remains significantly tougher than the NFC, so just getting to the playoffs will be hard.  In the AFCE, the Jets likely have to get past the Bills and/or Fins to grab a playoff berth.  It's likely that multiple AFCN teams make the playoffs again (three made the playoffs last season, including 1 with a backup QB and the other with a pretty poor starting QB).  

Moreover, several of the moves the Jests made last season, most notably signing Rodgers' buddies and then failing to sign an adequate back QB after Rodgers' injury, suggests that there's dysfunction and/or incompetence in the FO.   I got the impression that essentially everyone on the Jests bent over backwards to accommodate Rodgers.  Maybe this wasn't their choice but a dictate from owner Woody Johnson.  

IMO, the chances of the Jests making the playoffs is south of 50% because they are depending upon a HC who hasn't demonstrated much growth after several years in the job and so many older players with injury histories to make it through the entire season unscathed.

I respect your opinion. But this is the furthest ting from reality. Jets will be a power team in the AFCE. We will dog fight it out with them and miami who is also quietly building a good roster. I do believe the Jets will be our main comp in the AFCE no doubt. If they were smart, they will move up and snag a good QB. Not out of the question.....

2 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

I respect your opinion. But this is the furthest ting from reality. Jets will be a power team in the AFCE. We will dog fight it out with them and miami who is also quietly building a good roster. I do believe the Jets will be our main comp in the AFCE no doubt. If they were smart, they will move up and snag a good QB. Not out of the question.....

Bad HC.

Bad OC.

Tired old QB.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

2.5 sacks in last 8 games including being invisible in the postseason game.  Why they paying 14.5 million for that?

In his defense, everyone was invisible on the Eagles the last 8 weeks

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Thank you very much for putting this all together.  OK, so in theory....they upgraded bigly.  In practice - we'll see.

I will say I'm not sure acquiring OL talent from the Ravens is the best move to establish pass protection.  Those guys have traditionally been 'road graders' in the run game, but Lamar Jackson doesn't get sacked that much because of his escapability - and even so, he took 41 sacks last season.  

Tyron Smith was a great LT in his time, but it's not just that he missed 4 games last season - he hasn't played a full season since 2015, and he hasn't been a first-team all-pro since 2016.  In the last 4 seasons, he's appeared in 2, 11, 4, and 13 games.   There's a reason  why at age 34, Dallas was willing to move on from him and why his contract with the Jets is highly incentivized for playing time.

Alijah Vera-Tucker - "now healthy"?  He tore his Achilles October 9th, he had a "procedure" to repair it and was just out of a walking boot in early Jan.  He says it was a "higher up" tear with "better blood supply" and he had a different repair than Rodgers.  So I would say - it's unknown at this point whether he'll be ready at the start of next season, and if so, what level of play he'll be capable of.  Some guys come back from an Achilles, some guys don't but I think it's especially hard for an OLman.  Either way, he's appeared in 7 and 5 games the last 2 seasons, so the Jets ROI for a 1st round guard is not high at the moment.

Basically at 2/5 spots on OL, they're counting on guys who have missed a lot of time the last 2 seasons to level up their availability significantly, and counting on a guard and a RT from the best running team in the NFL, with a highly mobile and elusive QB, to provide pass protection for a relatively immobile elder statesman returning from an Achilles injury.

It's a plan, but it's not a slam-dunk good plan, in my opinion.

I think the Jets have had a great defense and it will look much better if whoever they have behind center isn't turning the ball over at a top-of-the-league pace.

I think it remains to be seen if they've provided enough of an OL to keep Rodgers upright through much of the season, and of course, if Rodgers will make it through much of the season effectively.

Maybe their offensive plan is a short passing offense and lean on the run game?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Building a winning team takes more than simply assembling a group of talented players.   Neither the Jests' FO nor their coaching staff have shown they can turn a bunch of guys, even talented guys, into an effective team, especially on offense.   They also haven't shown that they can handle adversity well as last season demonstrated.   I will remain skeptical that they can even win more games than they lose until they actual do it.   The Jests have the stink of perpetual loser about them, and that's always a sign that the problems with the franchise are much further up the team food chain than the players on the field.  

Edited by SoTier

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bad HC.

Bad OC.

Tired old QB.

Let’s not forget the clown of an owner! It starts at the top! They couldn’t do it without him! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 3/29/2024 at 4:06 PM, dave mcbride said:

Rodgers can't move anymore.  And why would Philly get rid of Reddick if they thought he had much left in the tank?

I am not concerned about anyone.  Like I have been saying since the season ended.  If we had been healthy on defense, we were going to the Super Bowl.  

And I expect to be better overall  next season.

• Agree 2

The thing that scares me is if they hit on a QB.  A good defense.  A solid offense.  And if they get a young QB playing on a rookie deal - they could be a real contender.  Not concerned with Aaron Rodgers though.  Dude is done.

On 3/29/2024 at 3:15 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Jets are going to be good.

The Jets sold their souls to win Super Bowl 3.  They’ll be paying for it forever.  Two years ago, Breece Hall got injured.  Last year it was Rodgers.  I expect injuries on their defense this year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bad HC.

Bad OC.

Tired old QB.

I agree. And yet they beat us last season and the one before. With their additions this past off-season they will be better. That's all I'm saying. We too have "new" OC and new DC. We will see.

16 hours ago, SoTier said:

Building a winning team takes more than simply assembling a group of talented players.   Neither the Jests' FO nor their coaching staff have shown they can turn a bunch of guys, even talented guys, into an effective team, especially on offense.   They also haven't shown that they can handle adversity well as last season demonstrated.   I will remain skeptical that they can even win more games than they lose until they actual do it.   The Jests have the stink of perpetual loser about them, and that's always a sign that the problems with the franchise are much further up the team food chain than the players on the field.  

I agree to a point. Highlighted above: If we lost Josh last season on opening day our season would have been even messier than it was. Not many teams in teh NFL can overcome that. Anyway, we will see. Exciting games coming this season that's for sure!