Panthers sign Clowney 2 years 20 million deal

Gregg

Adam Schefter on X: "Compensation update: Panthers are giving Jadeveon Clowney a two-year, $20 million deal worth up to $24 million, per sources." / X (twitter.com)

Edited by Gregg
  • Vomit 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

• Gregg changed the title to Panthers sign Clowney 2 years 20 million deal
9 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

We are not getting any late offseason free agent boost to the pass rush this year. 

There's still guys like Yannick Ngakoue, Emmanuel Ogbah, Carl Lawson, and Michael Danna available. Teams could release someone after the Draft depending on who they Draft. And Yannick didn't sign until very late last offseason. There's still a good chance we sign someone after 6/1 when Tre's money comes in.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

He had micro-fracture surgery after the draft I think....remember hearing a DR on Sirius saying he would never get a second contract....he has bounced around a bunch and never was what his hype was but he has made a nice career for himself.

This guy made more money off of one play where he was completely unblocked in college than any other player I can recall. He is, or at least was, not much more than a solid player. 

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's still guys like Yannick Ngakoue, Emmanuel Ogbah, Carl Lawson, and Michael Danna available. Teams could release someone after the Draft depending on who they Draft. And Yannick didn't sign until very late last offseason. There's still a good chance we sign someone after 6/1 when Tre's money comes in.

That’s a brutal list. Last off-season there were a bunch of good Edges that waited until after the draft to sign. Obviously that’s not the case this year. It is what it is. The worst thing you can do is fool yourself into believing that something exists because you need it. The more things shake out, the more I think the Bills will draft an Edge in round one. If they do, I hope the player is worth it and it’s not simply a reach for immediate need. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

If Latu falls far enough I’m starting to get comfortable with it, if Latu, Newton or Byron Murphy are the pick I’ll be ok with it.

I would have liked to sign Clowney but at that price I’m good passing.

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s a brutal list. Last off-season there were a bunch of good Edges that waited until after the draft to sign. Obviously that’s not the case this year. It is what it is. The worst thing you can do is fool yourself into believing that something exists because you need it. The more things shake out, the more I think the Bills will draft an Edge in round one. If they do, I hope the player is worth it and it’s not simply a reach for immediate need. 

Unless Latitu Latu miraculously falls to us (in which case, take him) - there isn't a DE in this class for my money that would be good value at 28. 

Chop Robinson is a total project. He had minimal production in College and is *extremely* raw fundamentally. And Darius Robinson, the next highest rated prospect would be a big time reach at 28.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If he's still unemployed come June 2nd I wouldn't be shocked to see Beane target Ogbah. The Bills were in on him just 2 years ago before we signed with Miami. And Beane loves to circle back on guys they missed out on prior. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, it's not yet plainly obvious that there will be a group of 6 - 10 solid but older DEs available late into the offseason the way there was last year.

But it could still easily happen, perhaps in smaller numbers this year. Or not. Not yet clear.

6 hours ago, boyst said:

Tomorrow Beane signs Aaron Donald. Boom!

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

You mean trades for

Yeah, if it were as simple as retiring to get out of a contract and become a Free Agent - there'd be a bunch of players "retiring" every offseason.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Carl Lawson and Michael Danna would be good, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, if it were as simple as retiring to get out of a contract and become a Free Agent - there'd be a bunch of players "retiring" every offseason.

There are a lot of people who seem to think that is how it works. 

12 hours ago, Augie said:

This guy made more money off of one play where he was completely unblocked in college than any other player I can recall. He is, or at least was, not much more than a solid player. 

Yeah, he was fairly solid in college, but it was that one hit that made his career.

The media replayed that hit on every station every 10 minutes, so it was no wonder his stock soared up the charts after that one.....he basically became a household name overnight.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Carl Lawson and Michael Danna would be good, in my opinion.

I agree that they are the two best options left. Danna had 8 sacks last season and Lawson had 8 in 2022. I’m not sure why he didn’t get much playing time last season. Still, compared to last year there’s just not much there in the FA pool compared to last year. 

16 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

He had micro-fracture surgery after the draft I think....remember hearing a DR on Sirius saying he would never get a second contract....he has bounced around a bunch and never was what his hype was but he has made a nice career for himself.

And his bank account shows it !!