Hip drop tackle officially banned

Process

There's too many rules. They need to eliminate some rules. Every time they do something like this, players have to find a new way and it ends up worse. Focus on simplifying and enforcing the rules you have..

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

NFL refs are terrible. Bad calls directly effect the outcome of way too many games. But it's also a near impossible job. 

There are way too many rules, and way to many judgment calls refs are supposed to be looking to make. 

22 players on the field, running around and banging into each other at insane speeds. And a million things refs are in charge of looking for.

They need to add sky judges that can make and correct calls in real time. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

So if you come in from behind for a tackle and hit the guy in the back to take him down is that a illegal hit in the back or a blind side tackle ? Not exactly sure how this is going to work & if enforced as such how many will just let the runner go in fear of being penalized or fined .

I think I remember when it was originally brought up despite the initial confusion about what it was and typical "They're making the game soft!" when people who actually knew what it was explained it, the reason to remove it did make sense.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Process said:

NFL refs are terrible. Bad calls directly effect the outcome of way too many games. But it's also a near impossible job. 

There are way too many rules, and way to many judgment calls refs are supposed to be looking to make. 

22 players on the field, running around and banging into each other at insane speeds. And a million things refs are in charge of looking for.

They need to add sky judges that can make and correct calls in real time. 

It’s a really hard job. We get super slow replays. They’re making the calls at full speed.

I do agree with the sky judges, but only to reverse calls IMO. I don’t want sky judges making the call initially. If there’s a flag the sky judge should quickly review and determine if it warrants a penalty. 

But I don’t want over officiated game. I don’t want everything replayed and broken down frame by frame. Human error is part of the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The real problem IMHO isn't the rules, it's the lack of consistency in refereeing and enforcing them.

One game it's a false start or an illegal formation, the next game it isn't

Or maybe it's not an illegal formation until most of the way through the game, then at the end of the game suddenly it is

It's DPI and the announcers declaim "they're going to call that every time", except, no, they don't.

The NFL could fix this if they chose, the don't choose.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, T master said:

So if you come in from behind for a tackle and hit the guy in the back to take him down is that a illegal hit in the back or a blind side tackle ? Not exactly sure how this is going to work & if enforced as such how many will just let the runner go in fear of being penalized or fined .

Only if you do it in a certain way.

I think I remember the issue being pointed out was the taking the legs out and pinning them down as they took them down from behind, that's the thing that leads to injuries that they want to avoid.

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The real problem IMHO isn't the rules, it's the lack of consistency in refereeing and enforcing them.

One game it's a false start or an illegal formation, the next game it isn't

Or maybe it's not an illegal formation until most of the way through the game, then at the end of the game suddenly it is

It's DPI and the announcers declaim "they're going to call that every time", except, no, they don't.

The NFL could fix this if they chose, the don't choose.

I think part of it is refs are human. They feel the pressure in bigger moments just like players.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

More rules = more control as well

And in this case more offense, which I'm sure the NFL desperately wants after a year where scoring was way down. 

• Agree 1

The one rule I’d like to see to bring defense back into the game is make it a turnover if the offense loses possession and the ball goes out of bounds. This would remove the end zone rule inconsistency and make the game safer because you hit less hard if there is a premium on stripping the ball out. Most importantly, all of the ball control offenses we see these days - with teams going turnover free for multiple games in a row - have turned NFL football into a snooze-fest. 

2 minutes ago, Process said:

And in this case more offense, which I'm sure the NFL desperately wants after a year where scoring was way down. 

Yeah, which is horrible because it was down by like .3 points. 47 points a game is hardly boring. The NFL is systematically and slowly ruining the game. 

way too many  injuries from hip drop tackles

reckless and dangerous....just like a horse collar tackle

will it be hard to apply with consistency from ref to ref....yes, just like lots of other rules

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The rule requires officials to note two actions: If a defender "grabs the runner with both hands or wraps the runner with both arms" and also "unweights himself by swiveling and dropping his hips and/or lower body, landing on and trapping the runner's leg(s) at or below the knee."

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, papazoid said:

The rule requires officials to note two actions: If a defender "grabs the runner with both hands or wraps the runner with both arms" and also "unweights himself by swiveling and dropping his hips and/or lower body, landing on and trapping the runner's leg(s) at or below the knee."

So how are you supposed to tackle a guy from behind. 

You wrap two arms and then what? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Yeah, which is horrible because it was down by like .3 points. 47 points a game is hardly boring. The NFL is systematically and slowly ruining the game. 

Just now, Motorin' said:

There are ways to do it other than the hip drop but the refs judgment will be awful per usual and will ruin the outcome of some games I’m sure

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

I guess only go for the legs? Otherwise, I have no idea. 

no one wants injuries, but it’s ***** football- not golf. at some point, they are going to have to swallow that pill if they want to survive 

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL is stubborn. When this ends up being an complete disaster they will refuse to reverse it. I'm already embarrassed for all the free yards Josh is going to get and angry about the SB we don't make because this gets called on 3rd and 92 to give the other team the magic 1st down they needed on a perfectly legal tackle to run out the clock. 

Edited by blitzboy54

so basically they can still tackle from the hip and use their body weight to bring down the running but can't touch their legs with their body.  That definitely won't happen by accident and be called incorrectly multiple times a game.

Feels like this is just going to lead to more mistakes by the refs.

If you have to go through large amounts of effort explaining what the thing your banning actually is, how do you expect the refs to make the correct calls in the moment?

• Like (+1) 1