Hip drop tackle officially banned

Process

23 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Also deciding they just weren't going to call holding on the KC offensive line essentially handing them a championship. 

This is my biggest issue with more new rules. I can see KC winning five titles in a row once the refs call a “hip drop” tackle on every crucial play. I’m all about player safety, but this stuff is impractical in a game of tackle football.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Yeah, which is horrible because it was down by like .3 points. 47 points a game is hardly boring. The NFL is systematically and slowly ruining the game. 

if every single game isn’t like the Bills-Chiefs Divisional Round matchup from the 2021 season, it’s automatically BORING, dammit!

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Well, you can bet there will be some questionable calls over these go in the usual suspects' favor. 

For sure. It's going to be a grey area that causes more variability in the officiating. This is where the USFL/XFL officiating system comes in handy. They have a ref in the booth at the stadium reviewing plays in real time with a better viewpoint and without the other distractions that the refs on the field have. This is the type of call the booth ref can get correct more often than the field ref can.

If the NFL simply implemented a better system, which they've neglected for a decade now, this wouldn't be so painful.

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

It's all fun and games until Josh has his ankle broken from a hip drop tackle.

It presents similar danger as a horse-collar tackle.  It needed to banned.  

He was a victim of it by Joey Bossa I think, but fortunately didn't get injured (idk how because the replay looked ugly.) That was an infamous play that season where we heard on the replay Bosa saying "how else am I supposed to bring him down? He's too big."

I think it was Bosa. Or maybe Watt.

The Bills Oline took exception to it and was yelling at him.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

So if you come in from behind for a tackle and hit the guy in the back to take him down is that a illegal hit in the back or a blind side tackle ? Not exactly sure how this is going to work & if enforced as such how many will just let the runner go in fear of being penalized or fined .

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

More rules = more control as well

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Just puts the game more in the refs hands, which is ultimately what no one wants. 

From what I've read, and what Troy Vincent has said, the enforcement of the Hip Drop ban will NOT be done by flags and penalties, and more so via fines after the game. They plan to drive it out by hitting the players in the wallet as opposed to putting that pressure on the officials in real time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

So if you come in from behind for a tackle and hit the guy in the back to take him down is that a illegal hit in the back or a blind side tackle ? Not exactly sure how this is going to work & if enforced as such how many will just let the runner go in fear of being penalized or fined .

No , it is not illegal. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Joey Bosa tackled Josh Allen this way a few years ago and Bills fans everywhere said it was a dirty play and should have been a foul. Well, now it is.

Josh Allen came up limping on that play as well.

This is a good move, people.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

From what I've read, and what Troy Vincent has said, the enforcement of the Hip Drop ban will NOT be done by flags and penalties, and more so via fines after the game. They plan to drive it out by hitting the players in the wallet as opposed to putting that pressure on the officials in real time.

To start, maybe... they're still going to call it in game.

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He was a victim of it by Joey Bossa I think, but fortunately didn't get injured (idk how because the replay looked ugly.) That was an infamous play that season where we heard on the replay Bosa saying "how else am I supposed to bring him down? He's too big."

I think it was Bosa. Or maybe Watt.

The Bills Oline took exception to it and was yelling at him.

You beat me to it. It was Joey Bosa and Allen came up limping after the play. Bills olinemen went after Bosa after it happened.

For those who don't know, the hip drop tackle is an actual technique. You have to try to do it. It doesn't happen naturally, usually. It is not that common in the NFL, but in recent seasons is has been growing in popularity. Better to ban it now before it becomes standard.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Joey Bosa tackled Josh Allen this way a few years ago and Bills fans everywhere said it was a dirty play and should have been a foul. Well, now it is.

Josh Allen came up limping on that play as well.

This is a good move, people.

It wasn’t dirty. Allen is a giant running full speed. If your QB is acting like a runner, he should be treated like a runner. Joey Bosa shouldn’t be forced to grab onto his hips and let him carry him forward 4 more yards for the first down. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This gave me a thought of current players in Lingerie League. No wonder I never watched South Park but no insult intended to those who like to do / watch crossdressers.

vomiting.png

I am starting to get same reaction to NF*rackedUpLeague with their multiple million dollar nonPlayers being paid to not play.

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They should also have retroactive fines for POS like Vincent with removal of benefits.

Without enforcement in game players will do it if it makes a difference in winning a game especially a playoff game.

52 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Also deciding they just weren't going to call holding on the KC offensive line essentially handing them a championship. 

When that happens Zebra hunting season should be open.

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It wasn’t dirty. Allen is a giant running full speed. If your QB is acting like a runner, he should be treated like a runner. Joey Bosa shouldn’t be forced to grab onto his hips and let him carry him forward 4 more yards for the first down. 

Hip drop tackles are illegal in multiple sports. Bosa can't tackle him with a horse collar tackle either, even if that might help. He can't tackle him by the face mask, even if that might help. He also can't pull out a gun and shoot him.

So yeah. If it means he gets dragged for more yards because he can't employ every possible means of stopping him, tough luck.

1 minute ago, Buffalo ill said:

Anyone who supports this garbage is likely just trying to help get football replaced with lame ass soccer.  You should be ashamed.  Leave our beautiful sport alone.

Really, because hip drop tackling has been pretty rare in football until pretty recently where it has started to be more widely used.

Anyone who doesn't support this just doesn't understand it, I think.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

45 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

so basically you can keep tackling like that but expect a fine?

McKay said “mostly”…subtext: “Except when the Bills are in the divisional round, preferably attempting to bring down a Kansas City wide receiver, and imposition of the penalty would result in first and goal Kansas City, thusly ensuring a last second Patrick Mahomes win.”

• Haha (+1) 1

allen is gonna get hip dropped blatantly 10 feet in front of the ref and get called for intentional grounding.

that loss (and seemingly every other one in the past 2 regular seasons) didn't really matter tho, we still lost home playoff games, so mer.