Bills sign a safety!!!! Mike Edwards a Bill

DJB

2 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I'm just going to go ahead and trust this staff with the defensive secondary.  They have a pretty good track record.

That's how I feel, too. 

McDermott and his staff seem to get the best out of most of their DBs.   Jordan Poyer didn't start any games in his first two seasons.  He started only 10 games out of 20 games he played for the Browns in his last 2 seasons with the Browns.   I doubt that any Bills fan seven years ago thought he would become an All Pro.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Billl said:

We definitely weren’t complaining.  $3 million was a good deal.  Given the state of the FA Safety market right now, I’m guessing Buffalo got him for that or less which is a solid deal.  If you’re expecting a high end backup or lower end but serviceable starter, you’re going to be happy.  If you’re expecting him to be peak Jordan Poyer they you’re going to be disappointed.

I mention Poyer to remind people he came here with modest expectations… at a similar stage of his career …. if there is one position where McDermott can get a guy to his maximum level it’s Safety … I wish it was DE instead…

I expect Edwards to be $3-3.5m … he doesn’t deserve a haircut after his play last year IMO…  hope it works out and he signs for more here on his next deal like Poyer did..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Great. Now we have three backup safeties. When do we get a starter?

Neither Poyer or Hyde were full time starters when Buffalo brought them in.

Defensive back is the absolute one group I have 100 percent confidence that McDermott (Beane) knows what he’s doing.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

Just now, finn said:

What don't you like about him? He's the athletic white guy, right? 

Exactly.

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

he has the stench of chief upon him

Could've been the stench of Commander again.

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I seem to recall Cam Lewis playing quite a bit of safety last year something Matakevich never did and Hamlin never did until he was literally the last human on the roster who could play it.

5'9" what....180?...from UB...would you be talking about him in this draft? He's a borderline P.S. special teamer. Wait, I already explained that once.

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

His old self wasn’t good. He’s a worse version of Rapp imo and I’m not a big Rapp fan. More of a country guy 😆 

Maybe he becomes what Dane Jackson was  to the DB room. I hope so, but I don't feel good with him having to start.

Edit" if you're talking about Lewis

Edited by nosejob

30 minutes ago, Beast said:

Neither Poyer or Hyde were full time starters when Buffalo brought them in.

Defensive back is the absolute one group I have 100 percent confidence that McDermott (Beane) knows what he’s doing.

I had watched plenty of Hyde and some of Poyer. I have watched plenty of Edwards. I was confident about both the first two - I said on here Hyde was "great signing". I am less confident on Edwards. Not that he can't start..... but if he is your best safety you have a problem.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, nosejob said:

5'9" what....180?...from UB...would you be talking about him in this draft? He's a borderline P.S. special teamer. Wait, I already explained that once.

who just got a 2 year deal. You clearly have zero idea what your talking about 

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If I'm interpreting this correctly, this guy takes Rapp's old job as 3rd safety and they still need a starter.

Is that correct?

We signed Rapp too though. That is what confuses me. I think Edwards is a slight upgrade but neither is a guy I want as my best safety.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I had watched plenty of Hyde and some of Poyer. I have watched plenty of Edwards. I was confident about both the first two - I said on here Hyde was "great signing". I am less confident on Edwards. Not that he can't start..... but if he is your best safety you have a problem.

yea, Hyde had a ton of very good tape 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

who just got a 2 year deal. You clearly have zero idea what your talking about 

So we differ. He's not or never will be at any time, a starting quality safety in the NFL....so there

Just now, nosejob said:

So we differ. He's not or never will be at any time, a starting quality safety in the NFL....so there

Did I say he was starting can you read? I said Edwards and Rapp will be the starters and Lewis and a draft pick will be the backup safeties. Now I know what it feels like to be a talk show host and have to listen to someone who has no clue

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Well I can’t say I know too  much about Edwards but he does know Mahomes and maybe can  bring some insight into the Chiefs that we can exploit.. 

I guess Mahomes and Hollywood are already getting acquainted.. I really want to take this team down! 

IMG_8170.png

Our franchise qb and the team’s newest wr signing aren’t even in the same state while theirs are already getting down to business.
Gotta respect that championship mentality. Sigh. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

We signed Rapp too though. That is what confuses me. I think Edwards is a slight upgrade but neither is a guy I want as my best safety.

You know it aint over yet . Rapp is likely a starter that plays downhill Bills need one who can run smartly with speedy WRs etc

They have a few safety's they can and should move on from

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don’t know, call me an idiot but I’ll take McDermott’s evaluation of those positions and give it a little more credibility than yours.

And to think, the off-season has a long ways to go and we also have a thing called the draft ahead of us.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Yea I'm not getting the hate over this at all.  

The FS for a top 3 D in the league.  

That's won 2 SBs.  That 

I like the signing, good solid Safety to start alongside Rapp.  I agree draft a guy in the 4th and let him get reps

35 minutes ago, Beast said:

I don’t know, call me an idiot but I’ll take McDermott’s evaluation of those positions and give it a little more credibility than yours.

And to think, the off-season has a long ways to go and we also have a thing called the draft ahead of us.

I'd be lying if I said I felt great about the safety position at this juncture, but McD has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to coaching up a secondary. It's also why I don't agree with some prognosticators saying we need to draft a corner just because of cutting Tre. We still have some solid pieces in place to field a good pass defense.

Edited by buffblue
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Well I can’t say I know too  much about Edwards but he does know Mahomes and maybe can  bring some insight into the Chiefs that we can exploit.. 

I guess Mahomes and Hollywood are already getting acquainted.. I really want to take this team down! 

IMG_8170.png

Why don’t I see our QB with Curtis Samuel yet?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Blitz said:

Chiefs fans replies says a lot about him 

First thing I do when we sign someone is check his previous team's boards (as I'm sure many fans do).

They really liked this guy.  Nothing over the top, but it sounds like he's a gamer who will fit in well here.

• Like (+1) 8

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Great. Now we have three backup safeties. When do we get a starter?

I think we'll be okay. It's just the safety position. I know we were spoiled for years by Hyde and Poyer but most defenses these days get by with mediocre safeties. Edwards was basically a starter for a championship defense last season.

I would rather have Edwards and Rapp at safety than say Simmons and Poyer for example. The latter pair is obviously much more talented but redistributing resources spent on the roster to more important positions is a still a more valuable outcome IMO.

Last year I was certain that we didn't have even a replacement level MLB on the roster and it turned out fine. This will turn out fine too, I think. As long as Beane doesn't use it as an excuse to reach for a safety in round 1 or 2.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think we'll be okay. It's just the safety position. I know we were spoiled for years by Hyde and Poyer but most defenses these days get by with mediocre safeties. Edwards was basically a starter for a championship defense last season.

I would rather have Edwards and Rapp at safety than say Simmons and Poyer for example. The latter pair is obviously much more talented but redistributing resources spent on the roster to more important positions is a still a more valuable outcome IMO.

Last year I was certain that we didn't have even a replacement level MLB on the roster and it turned out fine. This will turn out fine too, I think. As long as Beane doesn't use it as an excuse to reach for a safety in round 1 or 2.

Edwards is a solid all around player with a nose for the ball and the endzone.  Being on 2 different Championship teams should bring quality perspective to our defense as well.

Have you heard anything on Blackmon? 

1 minute ago, Success said:

First thing I do when we sign someone is check his previous team's boards (as I'm sure many fans do).

They really liked this guy.  Nothing over the top, but it sounds like he's a gamer who will fit in well here.

Sounds like he makes the plays he is “supposed” to make. The knock on him is that he’s just an average athlete so he doesn’t have dynamic range and he misses tackles a lot.

The positives are that he is very smart and almost always puts himself in a good position to make a play. He’s also not a bad athlete so he’s not bad range wise either.

I don’t think Po and Hyde were considered all that great athletes so I think the fit here makes sense. I am much higher on this signing than I was earlier in the day. 

I am still concerned with Rapp as a starter. Probably going to draft a safety to compete with Rapp but the Edwards signing is a nice one year “stop gap” solution 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Edwards is a starter based on our current roster. But he is a low end starter. I am worried about the safety position.

Thinking back, I felt the same way when Hyde and Poyer showed up.  Neither had really given an indication of how good they would become.  McD needs to work his magic. I do hope the Bills draft someone that can play sooner rather than later.  Having to play Lewis and Hamlin would be a nightmare scenario. 

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Bills fielded a very good defense (for the most part when they were reasonably healthy) last season despite Hyde and Po being past their primes. 

Don’t get me wrong Hyde and Po were still effective starting caliber safeties but they weren’t as dominant as they were from 2017-2021 when they were a top tandem in the league. 

So it isn’t like the team is going from elite safety play to what may be an average to below average tandem. I still hope they can bring in a mid round safety to take a spot from Rapp who is better as a “Big Nickel” and a backup than as a day one starter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Thinking back, I felt the same way when Hyde and Poyer showed up.  Neither had really given an indication of how good they would become.  McD needs to work his magic. I do hope the Bills draft someone that can play sooner rather than later.  Having to play Lewis and Hamlin would be a nightmare scenario. 

I loved the Hyde signing. He was so highly regarded by Green Bay fans. He played all over the secondary and had 33 starts under his belt. He was a fairly big signing at 5 years 30 million with 14 million guaranteed. It was one of the highest safety contracts that off season. I think if you check the board many fans were very high on that signing. It wasn’t a stretch that Hyde would be a top 5-10 safety.

Po on the other hand was a complete unknown. The Bills seemingly gave a safety with 8 starts over 4 years and a player coming off an injury a 4 year deal with a modest guarantee. I didn’t understand that signing at all. It seemed like the Bills overpaid for a player that could have been had on a one year cheap deal.

No one or almost no one though Po would be an All Pro caliber safety 

• Like (+1) 1