Black Wednesday

Logic

A sad day in Orchard Park.

Bidding farewell to Tre White, Jordan Poyer, and Mitch Morse is a hard pill to swallow. All three were standout performers during their time here, all three were standout human beings off the field and leaders in the locker room, and all three were emblematic of and critical to the success of this era of Buffalo Bills football.

Not all cuts in the NFL are created equal, and losing three men like White, Poyer, and Morse signals a sea change in the locker room, and a void of leadership and experience created. It also signals opportunity for a new generation of Buffalo Bills. But before the new guys get their shot, I'd like to take a moment to appreciate the outgoing Bills.

No one stands out as having heralded the change in fortunes for the Buffalo Bills as much as Tre'Davious White and Jordan Poyer. Both arrived in year 1 of the from-the-ground-up rebuild, and both led the defensive unit with pride and excellent play for years. Mitch Morse came aboard in 2019 and was a great leader on the offensive side of the ball.

Yes, all of these cuts were necessary from a salary cap standpoint, and it can be argued that two of them were necessary from a health/age/effectiveness standpoint as well.

When you're running an NFL team and you're paying a franchise quarterback, tough decisions need to be made. Today is the first day that Bills fans are really seeing the reality of what this means in real time.

Yes, it was necessary. Yes, I am excited for a bit of a youth movement and some fresh faces around One Bills Drive. But that doesn't mean these cuts don't hurt, and that it's not sad to see the departure of these great players and great men.

Today is a sad day in Orchard Park. I thank all three men (and the other players that were cut) for their efforts and for their contributions to turning the Buffalo Bills into consistent contenders. I wish each of them luck in their remaining football careers or whatever lay behind them. Thank you Tre White, Jordan Poyer, and Mitch Morse.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think someone's cutting onions in here.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 9

I think it’s a great day! They’re actually trying to move in the right direction. Bills may or may not take a step back initially but this will definitely pay off down the line. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I think it’s a great day! They’re actually trying to move in the right direction. Bills may or may not take a step back initially but this will definitely pay off down the line. 

Yep, out with the old and in with the draft picks and other kids.  Time to get back to better cap management and more youth with upside vs aging and slowing vets.  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Bidding farewell to Tre White, Jordan Poyer, and Mitch Morse is a hard pill to swallow. All three were standout performers during their time here, all three were standout human beings off the field and leaders in the locker room, and all three were emblematic of and critical to the success of this era of Buffalo Bills football.

Not all cuts in the NFL are created equal, and losing three men like White, Poyer, and Morse signals a sea change in the locker room, and a void of leadership and experience created. It also signals opportunity for a new generation of Buffalo Bills. But before the new guys get their shot, I'd like to take a moment to appreciate the outgoing Bills.

No one stands out as having heralded the change in fortunes for the Buffalo Bills as much as Tre'Davious White and Jordan Poyer. Both arrived in year 1 of the from-the-ground-up rebuild, and both led the defensive unit with pride and excellent play for years. Mitch Morse came aboard in 2019 and was a great leader on the offensive side of the ball.

Yes, all of these cuts were necessary from a salary cap standpoint, and it can be argued that two of them were necessary from a health/age/effectiveness standpoint as well.

When you're running an NFL team and you're paying a franchise quarterback, tough decisions need to be made. Today is the first day that Bills fans are really seeing the reality of what this means in real time.

Yes, it was necessary. Yes, I am excited for a bit of a youth movement and some fresh faces around One Bills Drive. But that doesn't mean these cuts don't hurt, and that it's not sad to see the departure of these great players and great men.

Today is a sad day in Orchard Park. I thank all three men (and the other players that were cut) for their efforts and for their contributions to turning the Buffalo Bills into consistent contenders. I wish each of them luck in their remaining football careers or whatever lay behind them. Thank you Tre White, Jordan Poyer, and Mitch Morse.

Nah.

Axe Wednesday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m not sad about it good players at one point who are in decline. I sad a couple of days ago I think the Bills use a lot more of their 11 picks than people think. 

Im looking forward to seeing youth and speed surrounding our core guys 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

They kept the band together as long as they could. Unfortunately, 'that' iteration of the team is over.

it's just a bummer that some quality players and good dudes never got over the KC hump and missed out on a Superbowl.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

I’m not sad about it good players at one point who are in decline. I sad a couple of days ago I think the Bills use a lot more of their 11 picks than people think. 

Im looking forward to seeing youth and speed surrounding our core guys 

You and I are feeling differently about this, then.

I'm not sad about it from a FOOTBALL standpoint, no. That part is exciting to me.

I'm sad about it because these were great men, great leaders, and great players who helped bring us one of the most exciting 5-7 year periods of Bills football ever, and now they won't be Buffalo Bills.

I'm sad because Tre'Davious White should by all right still be in his prime at age 29, an All-Pro level player, but football is a cruel game and dealt him back-to-back serious injuries, and now a cornerstone of the locker room is gone.

There's the football level and the human level. On a football level, I'm excited and pleasantly surprised. On a human level, I am sad.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'll miss these players but I'm not sad.

My allegiance is first and foremost to the Bills and this will help the team overall going forward.

And may still bring one or two guys back at reduced rates.

Poyer and Tre are probably two of the gutsiest, team oriented players to ever come through here.   I look back fondly on their time here for a long time to come.  That said, the older I get the more I cheer for the logo on the helmet and not the name on the back of the jersey.

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

They already have 22m in cap space next year and can get even bigger extending dawkins and johnson and restructure Allen.  They are getting younger and flush with money at the cost of old players with experience.  I'll take it. 👍

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, Logic said:

Very well said.  Thank you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

All these cold responses I think are missing the point. 

I expected all of these moves, I felt they all needed to happen, so no surprise here from me and no disagreement with any of the moves.  But that that still doesn't mean its not sad to see the door close on their careers here, especially given how important they were to the team and locker room.  

So I don't know...maybe save the harsh "good" to see them go comments for another thread.  Cuz I think the sentiment here is that while its the right move, its a bit of a bummer these guys time in Buffalo is done overall as they were huge parts of the team and community for long periods of time.  Talking about several fan favorites too.

I don't really see the point to celebrate or mock their departure...myself, I find myself just appreciating their time here and wishing them well where ever they go or do next.  

• Thank you (+1) 10

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I echo just about everything you had to say.  These moves were necessary from a cap standpoint but I think they have happened regardless.  These were three older players, who are all still talented enough to play but probably weren’t going to live up to their contracts.  Still sad to see these players leave 

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Poyer and Tre are probably two of the gutsiest, team oriented players to ever come through here.   I look back fondly on their time here for a long time to come.  That said, the older I get the more I cheer for the logo on the helmet and not the name on the back of the jersey.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they both find their names on the Ring of Honor some day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Logic said:

You and I are feeling differently about this, then.

I'm not sad about it from a FOOTBALL standpoint, no. That part is exciting to me.

I'm sad about it because these were great men, great leaders, and great players who helped bring us one of the most exciting 5-7 year periods of Bills football ever, and now they won't be Buffalo Bills.

I'm sad because Tre'Davious White should by all right still be in his prime at age 29, an All-Pro level player, but football is a cruel game and dealt him back-to-back serious injuries, and now a cornerstone of the locker room is gone.

There's the football level and the human level. On a football level, I'm excited and pleasantly surprised. On a human level, I am sad.

Wow man, you are looking at it all wrong! Tre being gone is a gREAT thing. Maybe we can actually find someone that can cover now. And believe me, these dudes aren't "sad" like you. They are happy and rich. Move along....

BTW - I truly hope you feel better. It will all be fine brother! GO BILLS

13 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Brandon Beane looks like a human, but he's actually just a calculator and a textbook on formal logic, all wrapped in a person suit.

There's not a sentimental bone in his body.

What are you talking about?

• Haha (+1) 1

White, Poyer, Hyde, Morse will all be missed.  Their contributions to this team are undeniable. But the time has come to rebuild on the run without jeopardizing another playoff run.  We owe this to Josh. What Beane has done today is brilliant and more cuts/ restructures/ etc are coming.  No time like the present. Those great Bills will forever be remembered. 

It's the process that McD never utilized.   If you can't play up to a certain standard or can't play up to your contract requirements then you're gone.

Bring in some new talent, all for it !!!

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

I root for laundry. 

They’re making strategic moves to get younger, try to get out of this cap mess, and maybe attract (and afford) a stud FA or two. 

Next men up. 

CONCUR 100% every word

2 hours ago, Logic said:

If only the players had as much loyalty to their teams as the fans have to their players.....the world would always be filled with butterflies and rainbows! Unfortunately, 99% of NFL players' ultimate loyalty is to the almighty dollar.

Just now, The Wiz said:

Now when we take a defensive player in the 1st and 2nd they have a built in reason for doing it.

Best Player Available. And with Beane at the helm that could be anybody

he nailed Dalton Kincaid. I think he does it again. 

2 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Exactly.  It's no slam on these great Bills players.  Not at all.  The only constant is change.

3 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

If only the players had as much loyalty to their teams as the fans have to their players.....the world would always be filled with butterflies and rainbows! Unfortunately, 99% of NFL players' ultimate loyalty is to the almighty dollar.

Sorry but most fans have no loyalty to the players, personally I think your statement is way off.  Players are always made out to be the enemy - Diggs, Miller, Edmunds, going back to players like Mario Williams....all of these guys ended up on fans sh*t lists.  Most people are fans of teams, not of players.  

Teams aren't loyal to the players, why should the players be loyal to the team?  Both sides know it's a business, and they are loyal up to a certain point.  

Idk, it's kinda sad the way Tre's time ended here. At least we got the best and/or most out of Mitch and Jordan, I feel like Tre was peaking and got the double gut punch. Tre also brought a joy to the team and game that was evident from the other side of the screen, I'll miss that from him. I want the Bills to win as badly as the next guy, but I also want to do it with players that I like and are easy to root for. I'm a process guy and like high character individuals, all three will be missed.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Great post.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All these cold responses I think are missing the point. 

I expected all of these moves, I felt they all needed to happen, so no surprise here from me and no disagreement with any of the moves.  But that that still doesn't mean its not sad to see the door close on their careers here, especially given how important they were to the team and locker room.  

So I don't know...maybe save the harsh "good" to see them go comments for another thread.  Cuz I think the sentiment here is that while its the right move, its a bit of a bummer these guys time in Buffalo is done overall as they were huge parts of the team and community for long periods of time.  Talking about several fan favorites too.

I don't really see the point to celebrate or mock their departure...myself, I find myself just appreciating their time here and wishing them well where ever they go or do next.  

Thank you. Exactly this.

It's almost as if the cold responders didn't actually read my post, wherein I said several times that the moves were necessary, expected, and even that I'm excited about them from a pure football standpoint.

Where I was coming from -- and maybe I failed to get my point across clearly enough -- is that these guys are human beings. Yes, we all root for "the laundry", but we also get to know these guys to some degree as people. They become members of the Buffalo community. They have personalities, and we follow the arcs of their careers, and they lay it all on the line to bring Buffalo its first Lombardi, a thing that a guy like Jordan Poyer wanted just as badly as the fans here want it.

So my post wasn't about whether or not these moves needed to happen (they did), and it wasn't stating that I would have kept any of them (I wouldn't). It's recognizing that these men were great HUMAN BEINGS, great leaders, and great Buffalo Bills. That they represented this team and this community with pride, with excellence, and with grit and tenacity and exemplary leadership. 

There are plenty of threads talking about the strategy of these moves. The nuts and bolts. The salary cap. My post was not that. My post was a "thank you", a recognition of a job very well done, a "farewell", and an acknowledgement that a football TEAM is made of PEOPLE, and sometimes it's a little hard to see those people walk out the door.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Absolutely no surprises for cap reasons alone. With that said I can’t help feeling a bit sad tonight. It’s  going to feel strange next year week 1 no Poyer or Hyde. Loved that safety tandem. No tre. What an unfortunate ending to his time here. All brought a lot of joy after so many miserable seasons. Wish this core won the big one together. 

• Thank you (+1) 1