Peter King announces retirement

dpberr

King was starting to lose it, as demonstrated by his loony take that the NY legislature might cancel the Bills’ stadium deal after the McDermott 911 speech story broke. Any time he ventured opinions outside the game of football, he was absolutely embarrassing.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4

End of an era. He was the last of a generation of writers that truly put out superb content that was detailed and always looking for interesting things readers wouldn't normally find. Even if I didn't agree with his article or take, I at least knew there was some true meat behind it.

He always seemed to have a soft spot for Buffalo despite being from Patriot land and was a good voice for the team. I will really miss his schedule insight as he usually was ahead of the curve on tidbits coming down the pipe. His best work to me though was his camp wide tour every August as it was a such a great and fun primer for every season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

congratulations on a long and wonderful career.

one of the few journalists i would week out. and i remember starting with this story in the back of the Sports Illustrated every week.

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

6 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

He will always be Peter Queen to me

7 posts before somebody crapped on him..........I would have taken the under.🙂

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

His column was always a must read for me.  A very gifted writer with interesting opinions.  I did get the sense that his passion for the game wasn’t as high as it used to be though so I’m glad he’s hanging it up in that sense. I like how he gave some shout outs to some good young writers in his retirement announcement.

• Like (+1) 4

I read that article and I was shocked to read that Don Banks died at age 57. I guess I just did not realize he was gone.  His Banks Shots column was a frequent read for me back in the day.  I assumed he had retired.  

I liked King. He was a bit of a Patriot homer but he was fair.  He liked Buffalo especially the training camp atmosphere that has somehow transcended owners, coaches, GMs and Presidents of football operations.  

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

End of an era. He was the last of a generation of writers that truly put out superb content that was detailed and always looking for interesting things readers wouldn't normally find. Even if I didn't agree with his article or take, I at least knew there was some true meat behind it.

He always seemed to have a soft spot for Buffalo despite being from Patriot land and was a good voice for the team. I will really miss his schedule insight as he usually was ahead of the curve on tidbits coming down the pipe. His best work to me though was his camp wide tour every August as it was a such a great and fun primer for every season.

There are still some floating around on places like the athletic and the ringer, but I would agree that that is largely gone in the mid form (the sites I referenced are typically long form)...King wrote some longer stuff, but most of that was medium length stuff combined with other medium length sections to build out a large form like article.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

End of an era for me.  Peter King was a knowledgeable and great writer and part of a stable of great journalists at Sports Illustrated.  Growing up and into my 40’s SI was must read; family knew Thursday night (when SI would generally arrive in the mail) was sacred.  No one bothered me till every page was read.  King, Zimmerman, Kirkpatrick, Deford, Gary Smith, Leigh Montville, Steve Rushin, Jack McCollum (sp.), Rick Reilly and many more.  Unbelievably gifted writers that made SI a must for any sports fan.  

Now private equity money hogs have made a great magazine into nothing.  All to chase a buck.  It’s so damned depressing.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, mannc said:

King was starting to lose it, as demonstrated by his loony take that the NY legislature might cancel the Bills’ stadium deal after the McDermott 911 speech story broke. Any time he ventured opinions outside the game of football, he was absolutely embarrassing.

Bob Costas is on line 1. LOL

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

End of an era for me.  Peter King was a knowledgeable and great writer and part of a stable of great journalists at Sports Illustrated.  Growing up and into my 40’s SI was must read; family knew Thursday night (when SI would generally arrive in the mail) was sacred.  No one bothered me till every page was read.  King, Zimmerman, Kirkpatrick, Deford, Gary Smith, Leigh Montville, Steve Rushin, Jack McCollum (sp.), Rick Reilly and many more.  Unbelievably gifted writers that made SI a must for any sports fan.  

Now private equity money hogs have made a great magazine into nothing.  All to chase a buck.  It’s so damned depressing.  

I wonder if that is partly reason for retiring.  They may have cut expenses (save them form private equity handlers), travel, etc.

50 minutes ago, stuvian said:

he's getting out at a good time now that the SI brand went into the toilet. 

I wonder how soon before they sell the SI Swimsuit issue to someone else.

My wife worked on several of the swimsuits in issues when she was a tailor.

• Agree 1

I hope you were on hand to lend your assistance :D

41 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

I wonder if that is partly reason for retiring.  They may have cut expenses (save them form private equity handlers), travel, etc.

I wonder how soon before they sell the SI Swimsuit issue to someone else.

My wife worked on several of the swimsuits in issues when she was a tailor.

Just now, stuvian said:

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Great career. He can still write and be a thought provoking columnist.... but everyone has a sell by date. Go while people are still sorry to see you leave.

*cough* Al Michaels 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Starting?

I hope this means he'll stop doing his radio segments with Mad Dog. He's a painful listen.

6 hours ago, corta765 said:

He had access like no other reporter. He would write about intricacies that other reporters wouldn't even think of, and make them interesting.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, stuvian said:

My job was limited to deliveries - picking up parts in Fairfax factory and returning to factory with components sewn by my wife.

The designer is Karla Colletto and my wife worked on swimsuit in 1992 SI issue, first one they were in.  Their swimsuits (and these are swimsuits you can actually wear in water) were in most of the SI Swimsuit Issues I have seen.

Only handling  I did when I got a surplus swimsuit for a MSGT's daughter for a pool party she went to.   He recently sent me a message saying his grand daughter wore it again at an event she was part of,  Very good quality workmanship.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, corta765 said:

I will miss him.  The Old guard of the NFL is completely gone.  The game has changed and the people who cover it have changed.  

Now we have backwards hat youtube guy who watches film and are all draft experts and scheme experts.

The Peter King, Rick Gosselin, Will McDonough's etc etc...were writers who along with nfl films told stories and made the NFL more than it ever was.  The players and coaches used to be characters in these stories and there was something magic about all of it.

Now we have backwards hat youtube film watching draft experts arguing with players whose whole life revolves around dating instagram influencers and all that comes with that.  It's all kind of boring to me and everyone in the nfl just seems really uncool....maybe that's not the best way to say it but they just seem like spoiled rich kids or something.  

anyway.  I will miss reading peter king.  I will also miss reading the funny stories about peter king.  He once was invited to spend draft weekend in Dallas in the war room to write a piece.  He kept falling asleep during the meetings and only was awake and talkative when the food arrived.  Then he wrote this big piece on Dallas draft!  Pretty funny.  I remember watching him make appearances on the MSG network way back when he was a beat writer for the Giants.  He was the last of his generation essentially.  

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, QCity said:

He had access like no other reporter. He would write about intricacies that other reporters wouldn't even think of, and make them interesting.

Yep. He was trusted in a way which it gave readers a look at so many things that you just won't normally learn about. I love how they make the schedule and it was fascinating to see how deep it goes with how much is consider.

I also loved that he got to go in draft rooms and see what teams really thought. The Cowboys with Paxton Lynch and then they ended up drafting Dak was a great highlight.

Seems as all the good ones are retiring King, Boomer, Rick Azar 😜 and most all of the really good people that were at ESPN have moved on or passed .

Sports in general just isn't what it use to be, it was much better when it was a bit simpler and not so specialized .

Not that some of the professional sports are worse off i guess it's more the Prima Donna thing & that some of those athletes think just because that every one needs to have their input on things that they really know very little about .

Thank you Mr. King for your contributions to the sports world i hope you enjoy your retirement as much as you enjoyed your work - you earned it !! 

8 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I will miss him.  The Old guard of the NFL is completely gone.  The game has changed and the people who cover it have changed.  

Now we have backwards hat youtube guy who watches film and are all draft experts and scheme experts.

The Peter King, Rick Gosselin, Will McDonough's etc etc...were writers who along with nfl films told stories and made the NFL more than it ever was.  The players and coaches used to be characters in these stories and there was something magic about all of it.

Now we have backwards hat youtube film watching draft experts arguing with players whose whole life revolves around dating instagram influencers and all that comes with that.  It's all kind of boring to me and everyone in the nfl just seems really uncool....maybe that's not the best way to say it but they just seem like spoiled rich kids or something.  

anyway.  I will miss reading peter king.  I will also miss reading the funny stories about peter king.  He once was invited to spend draft weekend in Dallas in the war room to write a piece.  He kept falling asleep during the meetings and only was awake and talkative when the food arrived.  Then he wrote this big piece on Dallas draft!  Pretty funny.  I remember watching him make appearances on the MSG network way back when he was a beat writer for the Giants.  He was the last of his generation essentially.  

There certainly is some talent as he brought up a few I intentionally read, but he was part of the mystique of the original NFL that wasn't so corporate or perfect and the stories he had were incredible. The Sabol family with NFL films also was like that to me with how they built up the NFL in mystical legend type way with their films and everything. He was the type of voice that his opinion spoke true volumes when he used it whereas today it is about how loud and big you can be rather then if your opinion is accurate.

I hope that todays media and coverage can still find ways to bring the history of the game in without having to have hot take or being the loudest voice (COLLINSWORTH/ROMO).

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Lol..Berman has been a caricature of himself for almost a decade now.

I love Berman but his time has passed and I wish he would step down.

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

100% agree. He has been awful for a few years now

Lol..Berman has been a caricature of himself for almost a decade now.

Sadly so, but he was fantastic back in the 90's.

15 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I was a huge fan of zimmerman, guy reminds me of the old world football handicappers, just watching tape and figuring stuff out on their own.

i always thought peter king was a cringe fest boomer.  reading about his daughter's coffee or cigars or whatever else was torturous.  his ultra boomer takes on the wuflu were mind boggling.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.