What is your unpopular Bills opinion?

Mikie2times

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Im going to get ripped for this but here goes....

Bills mafia is a terrible nickname for our fan base. I hate it so much.

It's so lame. In addition to the types that set themselves on fire jumping through flaming tables, it also brought with it a contingent of the fanbase that likes the pageantry of being a Bills fan more than actually following the team.

Very reminiscent of the pink-hat era for the Red Sox, where a tortured team with loyal and knowledgeable fans suddenly had to deal with a new breed of annoying bandwagoners.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

A small but vocal and ever present minority of fans are really drunken trash that I would never associate with in any other venue. You know this is true. You see them every game. My wife looks around at the parking lot and we can't wait to make it to our club seats. In a perfect world there would be seperate parking and gates for those willing to pay a higher price to avoid the drunken gauntlet on game day. 

I used to hate the 'Bills Mafia. moniker, too.  I refused to use it for a long time because I didn't want to contribute to its popularity.  

Then I realized there was no fighting it and learned to embrace it.  

"Mafia" doesn't mean "criminal organization."  Well, it does now.  But here's how Wikipedia describes the etymology of the word:

The word mafia derives from the Sicilian adjective mafiusu, which, roughly translated, means "swagger", but can also be translated as "boldness" or "bravado". In reference to a man, mafiusu (mafioso in Italian) in 19th century Sicily signified "fearless", "enterprising", and "proud", according to scholar Diego Gambetta.  In reference to a woman, however, the feminine-form adjective mafiusa means 'beautiful' or 'attractive'.

I'm okay with that.  The Bills are 'fearless' and have 'swagger.'  Bills fans are 'proud' and 'beautiful.'  

1.  The Bills will never go to a Super Bowl until Billy Buffalo is relieved of duties.  
2.  The Bills will only win a Super Bowl if they bring back the Buffalo Jills. 
3.  The new stadium will not be a  better venue than Highmark Stadium.  

• Like (+1) 1

I can't stand hearing the Shout song.

I mean, I like hearing it because it means we scored, but yeah, I can't stand listening to it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I used to hate the 'Bills Mafia. moniker, too.  I refused to use it for a long time because I didn't want to contribute to its popularity.  

Then I realized there was no fighting it and learned to embrace it.  

"Mafia" doesn't mean "criminal organization."  Well, it does now.  But here's how Wikipedia describes the etymology of the word:

The word mafia derives from the Sicilian adjective mafiusu, which, roughly translated, means "swagger", but can also be translated as "boldness" or "bravado". In reference to a man, mafiusu (mafioso in Italian) in 19th century Sicily signified "fearless", "enterprising", and "proud", according to scholar Diego Gambetta.  In reference to a woman, however, the feminine-form adjective mafiusa means 'beautiful' or 'attractive'.

I'm okay with that.  The Bills are 'fearless' and have 'swagger.'  Bills fans are 'proud' and 'beautiful.'  

I think it’s cool.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Allen won’t bring a championship to Buffalo. 

Agreed. I think he will get a ring. Just not in WNY, sadly. Which will be ***** awful to watch when he’s 34 and wins one with like the Giants or Vikings or some *****. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Vomit 1

I don’t know if this is unpopular but McDermott is not a top 15 HC. He is a guy that builds a good culture. He’s a good coach for poor talent. When paired against the best coaches, he does not get it done. The Bills should have fired him after 13 seconds. He is not the guy to take them over the hump. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know if this is unpopular but McDermott is not a top 15 HC. He is a guy that builds a good culture. He’s a good coach for poor talent. When paired against the best coaches, he does not get it done. The Bills should have fired him after 13 seconds. He is not the guy to take them over the hump. 

That's a very popular opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Von Miller will be on IR again by October, I'm guessing with the old guy injury, his Achilles.

Tre' White will be cut.

The Bills won't lose a playoff game next year ... Because they won't make the playoffs with all the new faces on one year contracts.

The new stadium should've been built out of the snow belt.

Playing in London last year cost the team a Super Bowl ... Losing Milano for the season and Jones for most of the season was the death blow to the 2023 season.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's a very popular opinion.

I hadn’t read the thread. I assumed that it wasn’t unpopular. I had him as a bottom 10 HC but adjusted it to bottom 1/2 to avoid the inevitable “have you seen his record?”

I think he would be a great hire for somewhere like Chicago. He can stabilize and build a good culture. Once that’s done you need to get him out and find the person to take the next step. He’s good with bad talent. 

• Disagree 2

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hadn’t read the thread. I assumed that it wasn’t unpopular. I had him as a bottom 10 HC but adjusted it to bottom 1/2 to avoid the inevitable “have you seen his record?”

I think he would be a great hire for somewhere like Chicago. He can stabilize and build a good culture. Once that’s done you need to get him out and find the person to take the next step. He’s good with bad talent. 

I had thought marone had done a decent job changing our culture. I was hoping to have him one more year to thin out the weeds and get a true contending coach.

He left.  We got McDermott. He finished the rebuild with a gift horse of young talent, the last ounce of McCoy, and a defense that was loaded for potential. He squandered it every opportunity he could with poor decisions. From the beginning with Dennison and the debacle in San Diego where they insisted on starting Peterman. It was clearhe was not the guy. 13 seconds should have been a nail in the coffin

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He was on IR.

I may be wrong, but thought when they opened the 21 day practice window, he was healthy and they could have brought him up. If not, my opinion is def unpopular. 

6 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

I may be wrong, but thought when they opened the 21 day practice window, he was healthy and they could have brought him up. If not, my opinion is def unpopular. 

They could have brought him up in that window. Once they didn't he stayed on IR for the year and they couldn't have him active in the playoffs. 

They never really made clear why they didn't activate in that window. Maybe they just couldn't find a spot, maybe they didn't think he was fully healthy. 

Frustratingly his window closed then Gabe immediately got injured so we never got to find out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

From what I can tell from this thread both the McDermott supporters and the McDermott haters think they're opinion is unpopular. 

My unpopular Bills opinion is that many Bills fans are so entrenched in their opinions that they lose perspective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Josh Allen is good, just not good enough 

Counterpoint: Jane you ignorant slut! Folks who think Josh Allen is not good enough are akin to the folks who didn't give Elway his props until he took home the Lombardi late his career. Elway was actually a better QB and more than 'good enough' well before he got the hardware.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I challenge you to name 15 better HC’s.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Von Miller will return much closer to his pre-injury form than the form we saw last season.

We would have won the Super Bowl save for catastrophic injuries and leaders not returning to form from the year before. Even with McDermott.

Tre'Davious White should be released.

Jordan Poyer will stick for one more season.

Nyheim Hines will be on the 53 Week 1.

We shouldn't take a 2nd WR in the Draft until Round 4.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, zow2 said:

- Disagree

- Agree

- I'd like to climb that mountain and make a determination.

Haha sames 

10 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

A small but vocal and ever present minority of fans are really drunken trash that I would never associate with in any other venue. You know this is true. You see them every game. My wife looks around at the parking lot and we can't wait to make it to our club seats. In a perfect world there would be seperate parking and gates for those willing to pay a higher price to avoid the drunken gauntlet on game day. 

I like to get my drink on as well but there are some very unsavory characters in that parking lot. 
There’s a reason I haven’t brought my kids to a game there yet.

One more:

“We the Mafia” sucks as a theme song. As does most modern hip-hop. 

Edited by The Firebaugh Kid

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

From what I can tell from this thread both the McDermott supporters and the McDermott haters think they're opinion is unpopular. 

My unpopular Bills opinion is that many Bills fans are so entrenched in their opinions that they lose perspective.

That’s people in general. I tip my hat on the rare occasion I see someone admit they’re wrong on here. 

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think most fans have it in their brain the next coach will win us a SB.

My unpopular opinion is there is a significant chance we downgrade. 

True. But if you don’t think the guy you’ve got is gonna get you there then it’s foolish to not take a shot on someone who might. I think a lot of  ills fans are so afraid of backsliding that they won’t risk that. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I like to get my drink on as well but there are some very unsavory characters in that parking lot. 

There’s a reason I haven’t brought my kids to a game there yet.

Reminds me of an experience I had when I was 16. Two absolutely hammered guys were shoving each other back and forth. One of them got shoved into a woman who had a baby strapped to her chest in a carrier, right in front of me. She barely kept her balance and the baby started crying.

I was mortified and said "hey, watch it dude, you almost took out that woman and her baby" before I even realized it. The guy, rather than apologizing to the woman walked up to me, grabbed me by the front of my shirt, pulled me in, and said "do you want me to put you in the f-cking ground right here and now you little sh-t?!". Again, I was 16. This dude was like 40. The lady threatened to bring a cop over and one of his more sober friends came and took him out of there before he did anything more.

I'll never forget it. Haven't been back to a lot of games since and that was 25 years ago.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s people in general. I tip my hat on the rare occasion I see someone admit they’re wrong on here. 

I tip my hat to folks who change their opinion - I don't think there's anything of interest discussed here that is inherently right or wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

True. But if you don’t think the guy you’ve got is gonna get you there then it’s foolish to not take a shot on someone who might. I think a lot of  ills fans are so afraid of backsliding that they won’t risk that. 

I agree, I just don’t think it’s the slam dunk. 2025 will be a new HC barring any hardware. 

On 2/12/2024 at 10:47 PM, Awwufelloff said:

The Bills will never win a Super Bowl while McDermott is coach.

I will piggyback off your post for my own unpopular opinion.

Sean McDermott is 49 years old, keeps himself in good shape, and should be able to live another 40-45 years or so.  Let's give him a full 50 years of remaining life to make it a round number.

The Bills winning the Super Bowl will increase the life expectancy of millions of Bills fans by at least one year.  That's a conservative estimate.  Most people would live an extra 3-5 years, imo.

Millions of (collective) years > 50 years.

Therefore, Bills fans should mob up and murder Sean McDermott in the street.

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

I challenge you to name 15 better HC’s.

I won’t count any 1st time HCs even though guys like McDonald could be on here pretty quickly. At LEAST 2 or 3 will be better than McDermott. I’ll give you 17 here. This will be a list of people that would take this Bills roster AT LEAST as far as McDermott.

In no particular order:

Reid

Shanahan

Campbell

LaFleur

Tomlin

Ryans

Stefanski

McVay

Harbaugh

Harbaugh

Payton

Bowles

Steichen

Taylor

Peterson

Sirianni

McDaniel

Some of you have an altered perception of McDermott as a coach. With prime Josh Allen and a top 5 defense (that he deserves credit for) you SHOULD be better than 5-6 in the playoffs (5-5 with Allen). If you gave this era (2018-now) to any of the above guys you’d have at least 1 Super Bowl appearance. This list avoids all 1st hcs, coordinators and college coaches. There are certainly a bunch of people on those lists that could have done more with 6 years of this group.

Now I know how these lists work on here. Someone is going to be like, “I can’t believe that you think McDaniel and Bowles are better.” You’ll nitpick a few and concede the other 15. The Bills have PRIME JOAH ALLEN and ONE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP APPEARANCE in 6 years. That’s borderline malpractice and ABSOLUTELY fireable. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Stefon Diggs needs to go and is a cancer to the locker room. He was a great receiver, but I feel like Allen feels obligated to get him the ball to keep him happy. I used to think it was because he was competitive, but now I think he’s an immature baby. The tweets from his brother solidified that. Take whatever cap hit there is and get rid of him. Get rid of Davis as well. Run the offense through Kincaid, a veteran WR from free agency, and a first round rookie. Spread the ball out more. Diggs just isn’t good enough anymore for the Bills having to put up with him. Allen turned him into a top 5 WR and I think he should be a little more thankful. 

I have so many

1.  More wr talent is better but not the answer.  See Chiefs

2.   McDermott does not get the respect he deserves from this fan base 
3.  A cap reset of sorts should be done. White Poyer Morse should be waived and Knox traded for almost anything if someone will take the contract. 
4.  Related to three.    I want the 10 draft picks to make the team and develop. 
5.   The bills will win the Super Bowl with McDermott 

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I won’t count any 1st time HCs even though guys like McDonald could be on here pretty quickly. At LEAST 2 or 3 will be better than McDermott. I’ll give you 17 here. This will be a list of people that would take this Bills roster AT LEAST as far as McDermott.

In no particular order:

Reid

Shanahan

Campbell

LaFleur

Tomlin

Ryans

Stefanski

McVay

Harbaugh

Harbaugh

Payton

Bowles

Steichen

Taylor

Peterson

Sirianni

McDaniel

Some of you have an altered perception of McDermott as a coach. With prime Josh Allen and a top 5 defense (that he deserves credit for) you SHOULD be better than 5-6 in the playoffs (5-5 with Allen). If you gave this era (2018-now) to any of the above guys you’d have at least 1 Super Bowl appearance. This list avoids all 1st hcs, coordinators and college coaches. There are certainly a bunch of people on those lists that could have done more with 6 years of this group.

Now I know how these lists work on here. Someone is going to be like, “I can’t believe that you think McDaniel and Bowles are better.” You’ll nitpick a few and concede the other 15. The Bills have PRIME JOAH ALLEN and ONE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP APPEARANCE in 6 years. That’s borderline malpractice and ABSOLUTELY fireable. 

At least as far as McD is not “better than McD.” You tried to stretch out your definition. 

There’s no real reason to nitpick “a few.” Half of these people are absolute jokes to include. The other half has just as much failure at their feet as McD does. 

“McD is wasting Josh Allen” like LaFleur did getting blown out by the Niners every year with Rodgers? I guess wasting the last 5 years (2 MVP seasons) of a HoF isn’t “malpractice.” Lmao.

If you step back and actually examine every HC you listed here instead of crucifying McD, you’d realize that almost none of those guys have proven anything MORE than McD.

“Oh no, McD loses to Mahomes in the playoffs, that means he sucks, because other teams get to play the Jags or Texans or Bucs or Lions and then lose to the Chiefs later in the bracket. This is a fair critique”

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Reminds me of an experience I had when I was 16. Two absolutely hammered guys were shoving each other back and forth. One of them got shoved into a woman who had a baby strapped to her chest in a carrier, right in front of me. She barely kept her balance and the baby started crying.

I was mortified and said "hey, watch it dude, you almost took out that woman and her baby" before I even realized it. The guy, rather than apologizing to the woman walked up to me, grabbed me by the front of my shirt, pulled me in, and said "do you want me to put you in the f-cking ground right here and now you little sh-t?!". Again, I was 16. This dude was like 40. The lady threatened to bring a cop over and one of his more sober friends came and took him out of there before he did anything more.

I'll never forget it. Haven't been back to a lot of games since and that was 25 years ago.

I will say this the crowd was really bad across the board until 2013-14ish. Somewhere along that time (prob as the team started improving also) it became noticeable the stupidity had chilled out substantially. I know the stadium has a far better ability now to police the stands then it use to especially with video technology. You will still have your bad apples and with social media the idiots have their platform, but I have to say attending games over the last 8-9 years has been a far better experience then the many years before and I have sat everywhere from the 300s down to the 100s.

• Agree 1

fans that can't handle the crowds at games are soft.  are there fans that will ruin the experience for you?  sure, but it's few and far between.  if it's that much of a concern, spend more money and sit in upgraded seats. not going to a game because of what happens in a parking lot is soft.

5 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I have so many

1.  More wr talent is better but not the answer.  See Chiefs

2.   McDermott does not get the respect he deserves from this fan base 
3.  A cap reset of sorts should be done. White Poyer Morse should be waived and Knox traded for almost anything if someone will take the contract. 
4.  Related to three.    I want the 10 draft picks to make the team and develop. 
5.   The bills will win the Super Bowl with McDermott 

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Although, unless they feel confident with the three backups, with one to start at center,  I do think Morse brings leadership, and will play one more year. 

Edited by Brian Higgins hair

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

“Oh no, McD loses to Mahomes in the playoffs, that means he sucks, because other teams get to play the Jags or Texans or Bucs or Lions and then lose to the Chiefs later in the bracket. This is a fair critique”

Everyone loses to Mahomes in the playoffs. His three playoff losses:

1. To Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. I hear those guys were pretty good.

2. To Tom Brady and Bruce Arians (with third stringers manning both his offensive tackle spots no less).

3. To Joe Burrow and Zac Taylor in overtime (and honestly Taylor is not that good of a Head Coach despite having that win on his resume).

With Josh, McDermott has never lost to a bad Quarterback. He lost to pre-legal situation Watson at a point when he was still ahead of Josh in his development. He has lost 3x to Mahomes and once to Joe Burrow. Most folks have those two as the other "elite" level guys with Josh. If he starts losing playoff games to middle of the road QBs - Tua etc then I think a LOT of us would be way more likely to agree with the criticism. But for now it remains pretty ridiculous and over the top. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1