Does this team actually have the guts to move on from Tre White?

Jim

20 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I rather have the depth at Corner then to move anyone to safety. Safeties are loaded in free agency and it's a value position just sign 2 new guys for cheap. It's time to find our new dynamic duo at Safety .

I agree safety is loaded in FA, but it appears to be a very top heavy group. Kyle Dugger is my #1 hope in FA, but even he has an expected $16.5M AAV. If he gets that number remains to be seen, but it's very possible the young good safeties out there (including Winfield and Curl) will be out of our price range. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I agree safety is loaded in FA, but it appears to be a very top heavy group. Kyle Dugger is my #1 hope in FA, but even he has an expected $16.5M AAV. If he gets that number remains to be seen, but it's very possible the young good safeties out there (including Winfield and Curl) will be out of our price range. 

There's also McKinney, Chinn, Whitehead, Stone & Blackmon just to make a few. Those guys will be in our price range

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

There's also McKinney, Chinn, Whitehead, Stone & Blackmon just to make a few. Those guys will be in our price range

Whitehead is a guy I think we should keep an eye on. Beane has a tendency to sign guys that flash against us and he flashed in a big way week 1 last season. Stone is a good one as well and I believe would fit what we do here.

The White debate is interesting because as many know he was this regimes first draft pick, and of course will always be tied to the infamous trade with KC for Mahomes since we took him in the spot the Chiefs were supposed to draft at.

So obviously for McDivisional there is going to be some strong emotion there. But I think at this point everyone would agree that there's zero chance he's coming back here with the current contract as is. I think you have to be realistic about what he can even offer this year coming off another major injury and he wasn't of any use to this team in 2022 when he played and you have to expect similar results at best in 2024.

If it was up to me I'd simply realize it's time to move and cut him, but maybe both sides agree to some sort of restructure that saves even more money on the cap and still rewards White to essentially be ultimately be released between now and the starter of the 2024 season.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I would offer him a paycut if not good bye

The paycut is almost inevitable.

I very, very highly doubt we cut him.

By the way... you guys seem to forget that in the NFL teams can't actually cut players who are recovering from injuries.  In order to cut him, he'd have to pass a physical.  So if people thinking we're doing this to become "CAP compliant," it's not happening before the mid March deadline when the new NFL calendar year starts. And also, if he passes a physical that early... why cut him???  And if he can't pass the physical that early, but does by training camp, you're cutting a healthy player and creating a void you'll have to fill with whatever scraps are leftover from FA or are cut late in TC.

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

By the way... you guys seem to forget that in the NFL teams can't actually cut players who are recovering from injuries.  In order to cut him, he'd have to pass a physical.  So if people thinking we're doing this to become "CAP compliant," it's not happening before the mid March deadline when the new NFL calendar year starts. And also, if he passes a physical that early... why cut him???  And if he can't pass the physical that early, but does by training camp, you're cutting a healthy player and creating a void you'll have to fill with whatever scraps are leftover from FA or are cut late in TC.

Good points ! 

16 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Wow, didn’t think you would double down after that first obnoxious post. Interesting strategy. 

If only we could cut or trade some of the fans who post on TSW. I'm all for discussing difficult, team-building decisions in a logical, thoughtful, respectful way. This thread is not that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Jim said:

I'm a bitter Bills fan. The world does have a lot of problems, but those are too big. Complaining about how my favorite team is run is easier.

Welp,you certainly changed my view with your unbiased and insightful logic. Thought provoking notion buddy. Is your last name Bradberry by any chance?🤔

• Like (+1) 1

I wish all GM's wrote this into all contracts in fine print, of every player and FA that signs on a team, the stated verbiage.

The NFL Players Lemon Law.

If for any reason after you have signed your new contract or extension, and can not play in at least 50% of your scheduled games as a starter in a two season period, in back to back years,  we have the right to terminate any contract that is binding between the player and the team for a single $1.00

Thank you for your service

Hasta La Vista

41 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I thought if we failed to pay his bonus in March he would become a free agent?

16 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

There is a decent way to explain why the team would choose to move on from Tre White. A player that has been nothing short of the consummate professional and an outstanding representative of the team. 

And then there is the disrespectful, lazy way that you presented it. 

However it was presented, op is right.

Coming off an ACL and now an achilles, Tre is all but done.  I don't see how you can justify paying him $16 million this season.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

And most of them should make Free Agency. Dugger, Blackmon and Stone are the three questions for me but I think the rest will.

16 hours ago, Jim said:

Seriously who gives a *****? Tre White surely don't. He's been paid handsomely to play football. And unfortunately he isn't able to play football when we need him most. Therefore, there's the door Tre. Let's use the money they'd otherwise pay him to find somebody who will be helpful next January. I don't see what him being "an outstanding representative of the team" brings to a team when opposing offenses are gaining almost 10 yards a play on them in the playoffs.

Bingo. Post of the season. FACT. I'm with ya Jimbo.. Tre is useless. Has always been a top NFL wimp. Cut his arse. I'm with you. Bills need to be tough this off-season with some big decisions. Tre being top of list. Douglas came in and showed us how it's done. Now, let's draft a CB stud in round 1 or 2.

People here keep wreaking "we need a received for Joshy boo boo". Our O was NOT the reason we lost. It's our wimpy D. Go get some studs on that side of the ball and hope we stay healthy with Bernard and Milano coming back.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

I wish all GM's wrote this into all contracts in fine print, of every player and FA that signs on a team, the stated verbiage.

The NFL Players Lemon Law.

If for any reason after you have signed your new contract or extension, and can not play in at least 50% of your scheduled games as a starter in a two season period, in back to back years,  we have the right to terminate any contract that is binding between the player and the team for a single $1.00

Thank you for your service

Hasta La Vista

Most of the time (not quite always but most of the time) a player is cut by a team they never see another penny from that team let alone $1. 

The reason teams have dead money is because you have to account for every single penny you pay a player on your cap somewhere and the money that is dead is long since paid - normally in the form of a signing bonus. 

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

However it was presented, op is right.

Coming off an ACL and now an achilles, Tre is all but done.  I don't see how you can justify paying him $16 million this season.  

Please explain how you know this.  As has been pointed out in this conversation, many people come back from achilles injuries without lingering issues.

10 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Bingo. Post of the season. FACT. I'm with ya Jimbo.. Tre is useless. Has always been a top NFL wimp. Cut his arse. I'm with you. Bills need to be tough this off-season with some big decisions. Tre being top of list. Douglas came in and showed us how it's done. Now, let's draft a CB stud in round 1 or 2.

People here keep wreaking "we need a received for Joshy boo boo". Our O was NOT the reason we lost. It's our wimpy D. Go get some studs on that side of the ball and hope we stay healthy with Bernard and Milano coming back.

I know people think they are being witty or tough with some of their posts, but garbage like this just comes off as sad.  Tre White is a former all pro and one of the most respected players in the locker room.  If they need to release him, so be it, and I will trust Beane to make the best decision for the team.  I can assure you it will not be because he is "useless" or a "wimp".  

Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Jim said:

It's right there in the title. The man we basically got in return for Patrick Mahomes has basically been nowhere for this team since 2021. He's due to make a ton of money in 2024 and judging by his "comeback" in 2022, it seems absolutely insane that they are gonna pay him all that money next season to fearfully rehab through November and then play like a 5th rate CB when he comes back.

We also have two starting CB. Benford and Douglas.

Cut Tre White's ass as soon as we can. Either that or he needs to accept a shitload less money, cuz otherwise we will just be showing that this team is not serious about winning a Super Bowl.

OK smart guy, tell me this, will Tre White pass a physical by the first day of the new "NFL financial season" which starts in March?  Do you know that?   Because if he can't pass it they can't cut him.  So then it very quickly becomes a choice of we have to pay him most of the money anyway so even if he's limited, in the long run is it better to keep him as we'll need to pay him a ton sometime later to cut him as after March he's now guaranteed a bunch of money, plus then paying additional money to whomever replaces him.  So are they really even saving anything.

As for Hamlin, he's is on a very cheap rookie contract, so again where do you think you'll find someone cheaper and even better as the 4th or 5th safety? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The problem I have with this whole premise is that people are acting like White is/was a star player for this team.

And injuries aside, quite frankly he's been one of the biggest problems with this regime and why this team has never been able to win in the playoffs when it matters.

The harsh reality is that White is pretty much a JAG outside of a few above average type of seasons. So this is why it should be a no brainer to move on from him as soon as possible and not even leave the door open for him to be on this team in 2024.

• Vomit 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The problem I have with this whole premise is that people are acting like White is/was a star player for this team.

And injuries aside, quite frankly he's been one of the biggest problems with this regime and why this team has never been able to win in the playoffs when it matters.

The harsh reality is that White is pretty much a JAG outside of a few above average type of seasons. So this is why it should be a no brainer to move on from him as soon as possible and not even leave the door open for him to be on this team in 2024.

This post is hysterical. 

“Tre White is a JAG except for a few above average seasons.”

Well, let’s see:

Tre has only 7 seasons in the NFL.

He has been hurt and missed large portions of 3 of them. And as you said “injuries aside.”

So, looking at the other 4:

Second in DROY voting

Fifth in DPOY voting 

First team All Pro

Second team All Pro

2x ProBowl.

A JAG when he wasn’t an All-Pro. Got it.

These troll attempts are so low effort.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Please explain how you know this.  As has been pointed out in this conversation, many people come back from achilles injuries without lingering issues.

An achilles and an ACL 2 years ago.  He'll never be what he once was and certainly not worth his price tag.

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This post is hysterical. 

Well, let’s see:

He has been hurt and missed large portions of 3 of them. And as you said “injuries aside.”

Second in DROY voting

Fifth in DPOY voting 

First team All Pro

Second team All Pro

2x ProBowl.

So much venom in this thread. It is odd. 

I wish some of these guys would stop kicking their dogs and at the very least unleash some of that emotion on the Pegula run Sabres and Kevyn Adams. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The Tre White of the first 4 games of 2024 was pretty darn close to being back to the old Tre White, actually.

Even 80% of the old Tre White you don't cut.

It's difficult to assess how far back he was because of the quarterbacks he was playing against, but he did have some struggles during training camp. I'm hoping that Tre can make a strong comeback and win the Comeback Player of the Year award, although I also try to remain realistic.

Ouch, the OP better cut back on the drinking.

The decision on what to do with Tre White is not an easy one and depends heavily on something we the fans are not going to have the same level of insight on as the team: how is his recovery going.

Most data I have says that standard recovery is 9-10 months. You have Rodgers saying that he'd be fully recovered after three months of ayahuasca vision quests, but that seems to be the average with an understanding that the affected usually doesn't come back to full.

So what the Bills might get out of Tre is a gamble.

The trade off is that getting rid of him isn't a great spin on the prize wheel either. Not only does it leave your boundary CB options with only Douglas, Benford and Elam, but the Bills cannot straight cut Tre. Because he took a football injury, the Bills would have to give him an injury settlement, meaning his base salary is getting pro-rated based on how many games the two sides agree he'd miss recovering. On top of that, any gains by not paying out roster bonus, per game bonus, workout bonus and a fraction of base salary will have the lingering paid money from his signing bonus immediately subtracted.

So let's get down to hard numbers. The Bills and Tre agree to a 4 week injury settlement. Tre gets $2M in cash. You have now lost a former All Pro player and made a giant roster role that can't be filled in free agency for $4M in cap space in 2024.

Maybe that's the best we are going to get. Maybe it's just cutting our losses and socking away money for 2025. But the limited gains we get by moving on tells me that the Bills are going to try to get something for their money. 

That's why you listen to your brain, not your "guts"

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

Does the one inch, five pound difference between him and Hyde make that much difference? Could Tre carry an extra five pounds if needed for the move to FS? 

There’s a lot of conjecture regarding Tre White, but the idea of just letting him go without knowing his rehab status is shortsighted at best. I wouldn’t count him out, regardless.

I’m not dumping on White who has played well and worked hard for the team, but he will have missed almost two full consecutive seasons and will be trying to return from an Achilles tear - notoriously difficult to come back from - especially at DB.  I am rooting for him, but not counting on him.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

This post is hysterical. 

Well, let’s see:

Second in DROY voting

Fifth in DPOY voting 

First team All Pro

Second team All Pro

2x ProBowl.

That the point...he's been injured nearly half his time here, and before that only had a few good years (albeit overrated).

A true championship caliber organization knows when to move on and this has been a big problem with this regime and why I fear they won't do the obvious.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

That the point...he's been injured nearly half his time here, and before that only had a few good years (albeit overrated).

A true championship caliber organization knows when to move on and this has been a big problem with this regime and why I fear they won't do the obvious.

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Find the discrepancy in these two points. 

This is what kills me. Milano, tre, von. 60 mil or so in cap space and we still took kc to the limit. Those guys on the field at their highest ability and we win. 

Hope tre got the rodgers surgery cause maybe he can come back 

• Agree 1

He’s been a non factor for two years for obvious reasons. It’s not like he’s going to be faster, stronger, or smarter when he returns. 

it’s a business move on. Didn’t end as planned but winning and creating the best roster is all that matters.  With this in mind it’s up to the coaches and team leaders to build the culture.  

players come and go for various reasons and not all endings are happy 

sorry Tre, really liked you and the vibe you added but luck is a fickle B word and she bit you hard.  I’ll root for you on your next team as long as it ain’t against my Bills 

4 hours ago, Mango said:

So much venom in this thread. It is odd. 

I wish some of these guys would stop kicking their dogs and at the very least unleash some of that emotion on the Pegula run Sabres and Kevyn Adams. 

Better here than the "post office" im assuming he works at lol

22 hours ago, Jim said:

Here's the thing. I'm not Brandon Beane, Sean McDipshit or Terry Pegula. They can let him down easy when they cut his ass an wish him well. I'm a fan who wants to win. It seems like Tre is a wonderful young man. But guess what? He hasn't do ***** to help us win in a long time. So guess what? So long *****. See ya when you're back to "lead the charge!"

Animated GIF

I wonder what his trade market might look like. Elite guy when healthy. I don't know if a trade helps more with cap stuff, but I wonder if there is a trade you could make for a player on an expiring contract. Like how does a Tre White for Brandon Aiyuk trade look cap-wise? just thinking out loud. 

I do not think they will keep both Douglas and White and I think Douglas is less risky than Tre because of the injury. There is no doubt that, when healthy, Tre is the better player IMO. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.