Should the Bills trade up for their own “Julio Jones”

DJB

Trade up?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Trade up?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

he's shown no aptitude for evaluating WR talent.

Considering he's never Drafted a WR before Round 4, of which Gabe Davis was the only 4th Rounder (everyone else was picked Round 5-7) - I don't know how you can make that assessment.

Actually, considering that fact, landing guys like Davis, Khalil Shakir, Ray-Ray McCloud, and Isaiah Hodgins - who have become contributors here or around the league, I'd say his success rate is actually pretty good. 

Justin Shorter was red shirted last season so we don't know what he'll become yet. The only ones to fail were Marquez Stevenson (Late 6th) and Austin Proehl (Round 7).

Going 4 of 6 on Day 3 Draft Picks, who are still on rosters with varying degrees of success is about as good as you can ask for. It's exceedingly rare to find a stud on Day 3.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yes, various scenarios could very well  play out, but there are absolutely no guarantees that any teams picks will pan out as anticipated wether they trade up or stand pat…, 

True, so why reduce the number of chances you have on potentially hitting on very good to great players at other positions? We’re not talking about trading up for a QB here. It’s a WR. 

2 hours ago, DJB said:

In the 2012 draft Atlanta traded up to get Julio Jones. Here is the breakdown of the deal;

#6: Cleveland → Atlanta. (D) Cleveland traded this pick to Atlanta for Atlanta's first (27th overall, which later became #26), second (59th) and fourth-rounder (124th) and also Atlanta's first- and fourth-round selections in 2012.

Bills are in win now mode. We need an elite WR to put us over the top. Enter one of Malik Nabers (who I prefer) or Odunze. 

Is the time right now to do this with Josh and our window ?

Or should I put down the pipe and stick to trashing Tua? 

Can’t see Beane doing this in a stacked class like this BUT I’d be all about it if it meant we got Odunze. That dude is going to be a beast at the next level

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, NeverOutNick said:

Can’t see Beane doing this in a stacked class like this BUT I’d be all about it if it meant we got Odunze. That dude is going to be a beast at the next level

If we are going to dream … I’ll take Harrison… it’s just as likely to happen 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

AFTER they address WR.  We can't keep giving Allen trash that can't get open and drop passes.

The drops mantra is the latest bogus issue to infect fans' thinking.

Chiefs led the league in drops with 44.  Bills were 8th with 30.  Just about the whole league was at 20 or above. 

How many fans are on the Chiefs website this week complaining about drops.   

Drops doesn't correlate with making the Super Bowl.  Chiefs were on the top of the list, Niners were on the bottom with 9!  They were a real outlier.  

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I agree with that, but we would probably have to go to pick 2 or 3 to get him, and we can't afford to give up the picks it would take to get there.  We will just have to settle for Jerry Rice's kid instead.  

We should aim for Justin Armour's nephew or Al Edwards Son in Law 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DJB said:

In the 2012 draft Atlanta traded up to get Julio Jones. Here is the breakdown of the deal;

#6: Cleveland → Atlanta. (D) Cleveland traded this pick to Atlanta for Atlanta's first (27th overall, which later became #26), second (59th) and fourth-rounder (124th) and also Atlanta's first- and fourth-round selections in 2012.

Bills are in win now mode. We need an elite WR to put us over the top. Enter one of Malik Nabers (who I prefer) or Odunze. 

We have a lot of potential holes on defense to fill.  Can't trade the bounty to move up.

7 minutes ago, Brand J said:

True, so why reduce the number of chances you have on potentially hitting on very good to great players at other positions? We’re not talking about trading up for a QB here. It’s a WR. 

This is correct. The fourth WR off the board last year probably had the best rookie season. The first had a slow start, and the second has major bust concerns already. The second best WR taken was pick 55.

In 2022, the top 2 WR’s were the second or third off the board. The arguably third best was pick 52.

In 2021, the best WR was the first off the board at #5. The second best was pick 112.

In 2020, best WR was the fourth off the board. The second best was third off the board. The third and fourth best were fifth and sixth off the board. 

Moral of the story, don’t trade up for a WR. 

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Chiefs led the league in drops with 44.  Bills were 8th with 30.  Just about the whole league was at 20 or above. 

Drops doesn't correlate with making the Super Bowl.  Chiefs were on the top of the list, Niners were on the bottom with 9!  They were a real outlier.  

They haven’t been dropping the ball in the postseason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I agree with that, but we would probably have to go to pick 2 or 3 to get him, and we can't afford to give up the picks it would take to get there.  We will just have to settle for Jerry Rice's kid instead.  

if B. Rice is sitting there in later rounds we should run to the podium. Developmental pick but has all the right traits.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Brand J said:

did you not read my initial post all the way through?

2 hours ago, DJB said:

Good luck with that

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm a fan of Gabe, but he's probably gone.  Shakir is decent WR3 material.  But...so what?

No ability to evaluate WR talent, but finding WR talent that you like on Day 3? 

Threads like this are why we should have more draft talk during the season.

We get to the offseason and then with no Bills games to discuss we get posts like this.

The Bills are drafting 28th..........it would cost years of first and second round picks to move up for this years version of Julio Jones..........just not feasible for a team who probably needs to roster 10 or more rookies in each of the next few years to deal with cap issues while it tries to stay competitive with a QB who hopefully has another 10 years ahead of him.

Be patient those of you who don't follow college football............over the next 6 weeks you will learn a lot about these players and realize that there is talent to be had outside of the top of the draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

did you not read my initial post all the way through?

I did, but disputed the “sure thing” support for a trade up. Agreed with your second point.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Well, we have to put somebody out there on the DLine. 

That's fine, but reverse the process and instead of bringing in scrub WRs and late pick Wrs, bring in scrub DL and late round picks.  We do have this guy Josh Allen who has needed help for years now.  But let's make sure we keep the most talented defense we can afford and use our best draft capital on a group that literally no shows every year come playoffs

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree to disagree 😁  

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

AFTER they address WR.  We can't keep giving Allen trash that can't get open and drop passes.

agree.  there will be enough DT talent later in the draft.  Need to draft above JAG WR’s who are ready to play this season. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I did, but disputed the “sure thing” support for a trade up. Agreed with your second point.

It all depends on so many factors when engaging in a trade up, of course you don’t want to give the farm away so to speak, but if you’re damn certain about a player selection you do it, within reason, this year “supposedly”  there are “a lot” of good receivers available, but we all know a fair number aren’t gonna make it in the NFL, anyway, it will be entertaining to watch things unfold, 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

The NFL would probably put that on PPV, and that I would gladly pay to see! 

Because he hasn’t drafted one early does not mean he cannot evaluate them. Those are two different things. 

Belichick is the guy who can’t evaluate WR’s. He’s proven it. 

yeah Belichicks legacy will be “couldn’t evaluate WRs” lol

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Considering he's never Drafted a WR before Round 4, of which Gabe Davis was the only 4th Rounder (everyone else was picked Round 5-7) - I don't know how you can make that assessment.

Actually, considering that fact, landing guys like Davis, Khalil Shakir, Ray-Ray McCloud, and Isaiah Hodgins - who have become contributors here or around the league, I'd say his success rate is actually pretty good. 

Justin Shorter was red shirted last season so we don't know what he'll become yet. The only ones to fail were Marquez Stevenson (Late 6th) and Austin Proehl (Round 7).

Going 4 of 6 on Day 3 Draft Picks, who are still on rosters with varying degrees of success is about as good as you can ask for. It's exceedingly rare to find a stud on Day 3.

the point was he never prioritized a position of need (WR)….

54 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

No ability to evaluate WR talent, but finding WR talent that you like on Day 3? 

Davis isn’t a WR1.  Davis was a decent 2 (despite the sentiment here). Shakir is a complimentary guy. 2 decent picks in 7 years I guess. 

the need is in the top spot. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

yeah Belichicks legacy will be “couldn’t evaluate WRs” lol

the point was he never prioritized a position of need (WR)….

The words were he couldn’t evaluate them, I believe. You said Beane couldn’t evaluate WR talent. I and others have pointed out that to date he’s been a later round WR guy. Yes, he had other priorities, but that says nothing about his ability to evaluate. He may have been 100% right on ranking the top WR’s, but we just don’t know since he never swung the bat there.

Belichick did swing the bat, and he is a guy I don’t want picking my WR’s.  I don’t give a rip about him or his legacy, I’m just pointing out a fact. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

The words were he couldn’t evaluate them, I believe. You said Beane couldn’t evaluate WR talent. I and others have pointed out that to date he’s been a later round WR guy. Yes, he had other priorities, but that says nothing about his ability to evaluate. He may have been 100% right on ranking the top WR’s, but we just don’t know since he never swung the bat there.

Belichick did swing the bat, and he is a guy I don’t want picking my WR’s.  I don’t give a rip about him or his legacy, I’m just pointing out a fact. 

when you don’t swing the bat on a position of need, that’s a failure of evaluation of the first order—pretty simple. It also means he couldn’t recognize it was a problem

Look at the receivers passed on over the years.  Now, 7 years into his stewardship we have a declining Diggs, Davis likely gone, and Shakir.  It’s a disaster 

the obvious difference between Beane and BB is that his struggle drafting WRs had no impact on the teams 20 year dynasty 

I hope WR is a top priority and if MHJ for some reason drops a few spots, Beane inquires what the cost of moving up would be. Barring that, I hope he has tiers of targets, and as the last is left on the board, he inquires what the cost of moving up would be. Regardless of the holes on DL and elsewhere right now, you know he’ll have bodies in place come draft day. I don’t think they can ignore the WR room for another first round, if for no other reason than it’s a premium position that the 5th year option makes a world of difference for. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

when you don’t swing the bat on a position of need, that’s a failure of evaluation of the first order—pretty simple. It also means he couldn’t recognize it was a problem

Look at the receivers passed on over the years.  Now, 7 years into his stewardship we have a declining Diggs, Davis likely gone, and Shakir.  It’s a disaster 

the obvious difference between Beane and BB is that his struggle drafting WRs had no impact on the teams 20 year dynasty 

Now I’m just chuckling. Thanks. I’m leaving to see Kathleen Madigan in a few minutes, and you are like a Pre-warm up act. 

You can tear up ANYONE if you want to point out the players a GM passed over. Montana went in the third round, Brady in the 6th. That is the weakest approach I see on this board. 

Edited by Augie

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Now I’m just chuckling. Thanks. I’m leaving to see Kathleen Madigan in a few minutes, and you are like a Pre-warm up act. 

You can tear up ANYONE if you want to point out the players a GM passed over. Montana went in the third round, Brady in the 6th. That is the weakest approach I see on this board. 

Enjoy the. Show she’s pretty darn funny, 👍

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Davis isn’t a WR1.  Davis was a decent 2 (despite the sentiment here). Shakir is a complimentary guy. 2 decent picks in 7 years I guess. 

the need is in the top spot. 

Do you expect to find a WR1 on Day 3? 

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

two guys. 7 years

It doesn’t mean he lacks the aptitude for evaluating them. Your statement looks stupid considering those “two guys in 7 years” have been pretty good relative to their draft position. 

When WR like Amon Ra, Tyreek and Cooper Kupp and Nacua can be drafted in rounds 3-5, why in the world would we trade up for any WR? 

Only real position worth trading up for in the current NFL is probably QB. Maybe an absolute elite beast of a pass rusher. That’s about it imho. 

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Easily a horrible trade and possibly the worst in Buffalo’s history.

In a weird way, I wouldn’t change a thing. 

Picking EJ Manuel, doubling down on that draft pick by trading up for Watkins, using the 2015 first instead of the 2014 second so we could pick Cyrus Kouandjio (yikes), all of it spun the tapestry for us to eventually get Josh Allen. Butterfly effect and all that. 

Yes, maybe we break the drought a little bit sooner if we don’t make that trade, but by the same token, maybe we don’t have Allen as our QB. Maybe we are paying Derek Carr $30M a season. Maybe we have Dak Prescott choking in the first round every year. Maybe we are still looking for a QB.

We are one of the handful of franchises with a surefire elite QB. A QB that makes us top 3-4 in Super Bowl odds in Vegas every year. 

The Sammy Watkins trade was worth THAT. 

Beane will never do it, but I’d be willing to move a lot of picks to move up in Round 1 & Round 2 to get legit playmakers at WR that make immediate impact. This offense needs real weapons

at present my favorites for us are Brian Thomas Jr and Troy Franklin.  After that, both Xavier’s 

Find a way to get 2 of those 4 and that’s a home run

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

No eFFin Way- let the draft come to us and Beane has s learned how to draft finally (or the McDermott influence is waning). We have too much retooling to do to waste 4? picks on 1 player this year and next.

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Enjoy the. Show she’s pretty darn funny, 👍

It was my fourth time buying tickets to see her, and the third time actually doing it. I got these tix for my wife and myself months in advance, maybe as a Christmas present?  The other time my college hoops team made a run and the wife took a friend. 

I recommend Kathleen Madigan, and her opener tonight was fantastic.   

• Like (+1) 1

Here’s the thing. If you want a Julio Jones you need to either get MH, Odunze, Nabers(who I think is slightly overhyped). 

Those guys are probably all gone by the top 10. That means we’re giving up 1 and 2 this year and 1 next year for probably Nabers. I don’t think there is a guarantee Nabers ends up being significantly better with Allen than say a Brian Thomas, Adonai Mitchell etc. 

This team is one of the oldest in the NFL and needs to infuse young talent on its roster. Those 10 picks are huge for the future of this team and I think it’s very possible for the first time in forever that 8 or 9 guys make this roster as rookies 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.