Inside Jets dysfunction article in the Athletic

stevewin

Curses, what if they get the Ty Dunne treatment!?! :P

But on a serious note, it does confirm what I know a lot of people on here and in some sports talk were saying: that Hackett was there because Rodgers wanted an OC that he could control to tailor the offense as he liked it. That's why you had so many ex-Packers vets brought on past their prime.

The Jets in 2024 will go as far as Rodgers will take them. He's coming off an Achilles, but you don't have to be fast to sling the ball. I can see them legitimately making a bid for the division, because otherwise Joe Douglas has constructed a sound roster. In 2025? Rodgers costs $51 million against the cap with 94% of that guaranteed.

That's going to be an interesting discussion.

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I highly, HIGHLY question the bolded statements as well.

He likes to think he is intelligent. But far too often nowadays, folks confuse "having thoughts" with "intelligence".

I made a pithy comment a while back about only trusting Rodgers in his taste in drugs.

Look, I am not expecting football players to be MENSA members (though there certainly are some extremely intelligent players in the league) but Rodgers has gone completely 'round the bend. From being a vaccine denier, to claiming alien sightings are being used to hide Epstein updates, to explicitly stating that a (arguably not very funny) comedian who mocked him will be revealed to be a child molester.

He has become a liability

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Couldn't disagree with this more. And I'm by far NOT a Carr fan.

Rodgers caused a huge ripple in the Jets off-season that set everything in motion. Without Rodgers Hackett likely isn't the OC. Without Rodgers bringing in his buddies like Lazard, Cobb ect the Jets have more money to invest in their OL. Without going "all in for Aaron" they likely don't spend a dumb amount to bring in Dalvin Cook. 

Carr is the definition of mediocre on a good day. But I feel like it would have made the team the Jets were allowed to field better.

Yes, if they built a different team, they would have been better. I was swapping Rodgers for Carr straight up.

A local reporter who soured on the organization they used to cover, harnessing their malice to write a targeted hit piece that uses info from 20+ sources to attack the character of the head coach and paint a picture of paranoia and dysfunction, throwing the fan base into hysteria and causing endless arguments over whether said paranoid coach is the right man to lead the organization moving forward or whether the author is just a hack with a vendetta.

Stop me if you've heard this one before.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

A local reporter who soured on the organization they used to cover, harnessing their malice to write a targeted hit piece that uses info from 20+ sources to attack the character of the head coach and paint a picture of paranoia and dysfunction, throwing the fan base into hysteria and causing endless arguments over whether said paranoid coach is the right man to lead the organization moving forward or whether the author is just a hack with a vendetta.

Stop me if you've heard this one before.

Just took Saleh 3 years or more accurately Saleh/Roger/Hackett 1.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

This is the most predictable thing ever. The bit about Zach Wilson being excited to work with Rogers and then Rogers flying home and never talking to Wilson had me on the floor laughing

Yet shockingly predictable 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yea my opinion of Wilson went way up after reading this:

Saleh told the quarterback he would be inactive for the rest of the season and that the team would try to trade him in the offseason.  But in the days before the Falcons game, Saleh reversed course and told Wilson to start practicing as if he might play again. He did not play against Atlanta, but after the Jets lost, Wilson knew they were considering starting him again. He expressed reluctance about returning to play and said he would politely decline if asked, based on his previous conversation with Saleh and fears of getting injured behind the Jets’ makeshift offensive line.

Like a lot of other folks I thought Wilson was a baby for saying he didn't want to go back in.  But if Salah told him that he would be inactive the rest of the season and then changed his mind that is non Salah not Wilson.

Yeah. Salah is an idiot. This is poor management and I don’t blame Wilson at all for not wanting to play. It’s a business and he was making a business decision 

Wilson never had a chance there. He isn’t good, but the Jets have done him no favors 

• Like (+1) 1

Nothing would surprise me with the Jets. I think we all saw how incompetent Hackett was in 2022 with Denver. Because him and Rodgers are best buds, he got the job with the Jets. Just like Allen Lazard and the rest of the former teammates that became present day teammates. The incompetence of their FO and staff to field an overall winner has been an ongoing situation since the Rex Ryan days. Nothing has changed except the names that get tossed out at the forefront. Their OL is still trash, no one knows if Rodgers is even going to be the Rodgers they last saw on the field in 2022, a projected $7M in Cap space, and 19 UFA's. Not sure what's going on behind the scenes, but this still look to be the same dumpster fire they have been for the past 13 years. 

• Agree 1

I feel bad for Wilson. If your coach tells you that you are getting traded at the end of the season and that you'll be inactive the rest of the season, of course he didn't want to come back and play for them.

Saleh is a thin skinned moron.

5 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I find it funny that the story leaked about Saleh threatening the leaker 🤣

This story seems familiar. Can't you picture Saleh with "a handful of receipts" sitting in a chair face to face with the leaker, dropping f-bombs, with the VP of Communications for the Jets sitting directly behind him...

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I feel bad for Wilson. If your coach tells you that you are getting traded at the end of the season and that you'll be inactive the rest of the season, of course he didn't want to come back and play for them.

Plus he had to see what happened to Mike White with a bad O-line.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

This is the most predictable thing ever. The bit about Zach Wilson being excited to work with Rogers and then Rogers flying home and never talking to Wilson had me on the floor laughing

rogers better hope wilson doesn't find his mom's number somewhere.  the tables can turn quick when young zach is in the cut.

i will say, i thought saleh was a blow hard fake media guy (reminded me of how ditka turned out to really be), so im not shocked what was reported in the story.

worrying about the giants getting better coverage, bad reports, it's all pretty pathetic.

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Plus he had to see what happened to Mike White with a bad O-line.

That hurts my ribs just thinking about it

1 minute ago, colin said:

rogers better hope wilson doesn't find his mom's number somewhere.  the tables can turn quick when young zach is in the cut.

i will say, i thought saleh was a blow hard fake media guy (reminded me of how ditka turned out to really be), so im not shocked what was reported in the story.

worrying about the giants getting better coverage, bad reports, it's all pretty pathetic.

You forget Rogers doesn't like his family....Rogers is kind of awful.

5 hours ago, stevewin said:

Subscription only  (and not written by Tyler Dunne 😛)

https://theathletic.com/5238599/2024/01/31/jets-aaron-rodgers-robert-saleh-season-collapse/

No surprise Hackett confirmed to be a clown show

Saleh doesn't come off great either

Interesting too they confirm the story that Wilson did in fact say he didn't want to play again

Also they mention while things started with Rodgers taking Wilson under his wing and being "the big brother he never had" - by the end "Wilson’s feelings about his idol soured over the season."

It ends with Jets players being optimistic because Rodgers was "picking apart" the scout team when he came back.

I find it hilarious that the revelation that the NYG get treated better than the Jets by the media was news to Saleh. It’s because one has a well respected owner and the other has a joke for one. How did he not notice that before he took the job? Saleh was a very hot HC candidate when he got hired by the Jest and I was very surprised that he settled for that job. He definitely effed that up. 

Really no surprises here but good confirmation:

- Saleh is a terrible HC

- Hackett does not belong in the NFL

- Rogers was really running the organization and still is 

- Rogers is an arrogant d bag.  

The Jets will continue to be also rans whether Rogers comes back or not.  The preseason hype last year for this deeply flawed team was unwarranted and will be again.   

In a cutthroat league where all teams fire even good coaches who don't have immediate winning success, it's truly amazing how a boob like Nate Hackett has failed up and kept high level positions for so many years. He should be studied by science for the hope of future young hacks everywhere in all professions.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I was about to say imagine if Terry printed out TBD threads and brought it to McD and Beane, but I honestly wouldnt be shocked lol. 

Terry often tells Beane about my opinions

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

That's true but being able to move and throw off platform has always been a part of his game hasn't it?

I think Rodgers could make a run effectively playing like Stafford: statue in the pocket, but distributing the ball. 

Of course, that depends heavily on getting an O-line together.

I think Rodgers is still dangerous, and certainly feels like he has something to prove, but I think this is his last year because the money starts getting stupid real fast.

23 minutes ago, DC Greg said:

In a cutthroat league where all teams fire even good coaches who don't have immediate winning success, it's truly amazing how a boob like Nate Hackett has failed up and kept high level positions for so many years. He should be studied by science for the hope of future young hacks everywhere in all professions.

Nate Hackett is the one piece of evidence I see that makes me think that the Rooney Rule has a point.

There is nepotism in the league. There's no secret. Shedeur Sanders doesn't get this much buzz if his dad isn't a Hall of Famer. There are plenty of coaches for whom it's a family profession, with coaches bringing their kids on.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphics/2022/11/22/nfl-coaches-nepotism-filled-dozens-positions/10702777002/

I don't think it's malicious. I think coaches want to share the love of the game with their kids. Aaron Kromer started with his dad. I am sure that no one in San Fran is going right now "I don't know, I think that being Mike Shanahan's son might have helped Kyle, are we sure he's really got it?"

But when coaches staff teams with their kids as coaches, and then they make friends with people their age who have similar life experiences and worldviews and you get coaches where you ask "how the hell are they still in the league?" and it's because they have a connection like this. Hackett is just the most glaring example of someone who has failed upwards to the highest levels

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Someone should tell Rodgers to get off the Pat McAfee show. That weekly sideshow is not helping anyone. 

He loves the attention too much.  Incredible talent but a guy I wouldn’t want next to me in a fox hole.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yea my opinion of Wilson went way up after reading this:

Saleh told the quarterback he would be inactive for the rest of the season and that the team would try to trade him in the offseason.  But in the days before the Falcons game, Saleh reversed course and told Wilson to start practicing as if he might play again. He did not play against Atlanta, but after the Jets lost, Wilson knew they were considering starting him again. He expressed reluctance about returning to play and said he would politely decline if asked, based on his previous conversation with Saleh and fears of getting injured behind the Jets’ makeshift offensive line.

Like a lot of other folks I thought Wilson was a baby for saying he didn't want to go back in.  But if Salah told him that he would be inactive the rest of the season and then changed his mind that is non Salah not Wilson.

I didn’t.  I pointed out that Saleh is too stupid to be HC and he was simply jerking Wilson around at the time.  I thought Wilson was right to say F You on this.

Too many morons own NFL teams.  

Jets are trash

35 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I think Rodgers could make a run effectively playing like Stafford: statue in the pocket, but distributing the ball. 

Of course, that depends heavily on getting an O-line together.

I think Rodgers is still dangerous, and certainly feels like he has something to prove, but I think this is his last year because the money starts getting stupid real fast.

Rodgers is only dangerous to the Jets organization 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I didn’t.  I pointed out that Saleh is too stupid to be HC and he was simply jerking Wilson around at the time.  I thought Wilson was right to say F You on this.

Too many morons own NFL teams.  

Jets are trash

Rodgers is only dangerous to the Jets organization 

Well also to people who are immunocompromised :D

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Saleh is a well spoken ReX Ryan 

47 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I know the perfect place for Hackett.  The only problem is I can't figure out how to get KC to hire him.

He's from KC.  His dad was the Offensive Coordinator for the Chiefs.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Nate Hackett is the one piece of evidence I see that makes me think that the Rooney Rule has a point.

There is nepotism in the league. There's no secret. Shedeur Sanders doesn't get this much buzz if his dad isn't a Hall of Famer. There are plenty of coaches for whom it's a family profession, with coaches bringing their kids on.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphics/2022/11/22/nfl-coaches-nepotism-filled-dozens-positions/10702777002/

I don't think it's malicious. I think coaches want to share the love of the game with their kids. Aaron Kromer started with his dad. I am sure that no one in San Fran is going right now "I don't know, I think that being Mike Shanahan's son might have helped Kyle, are we sure he's really got it?"

But when coaches staff teams with their kids as coaches, and then they make friends with people their age who have similar life experiences and worldviews and you get coaches where you ask "how the hell are they still in the league?" and it's because they have a connection like this. Hackett is just the most glaring example of someone who has failed upwards to the highest levels

9844eea0-fac6-4ca8-92aa-1c2b452d72a7_tex

wasted-tacos.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

Jets in their desperation to be relevant, handed over the operational responsibilities to a  washed up , injury prone QB, who is a polarizing nut bag. I guess it’s a positive for us, but bad for football. It’s always better when one of the NY/NJ teams are championship caliber.

6 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Jets in their desperation to be relevant, handed over the operational responsibilities to a  washed up , injury prone QB, who is a polarizing nut bag. I guess it’s a positive for us, but bad for football. It’s always better when one of the NY/NJ teams are championship caliber.

Let that be the Giants then. 

4 hours ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

This thread is spam. 

It’s football gossip, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.