Greg Cosell - “I don’t think they have a number 1 WR”

I remember 2020 season and 2021 season.  Coverting a third and long was virtually automatic:  Diggs, Beasley, Davis, John Brown, Knox, etc...  I didn't run the numbers but this year and last it seemed more difficult.  Beasley was Mr Automatic when we really needed him, those years.   

Cosell made the observation at the end of 2022/23 season that the Bills offensive scheme was a head scratcher.  He felt we used more than usual low percentage plays .. ie: long passes.  I agree and feel we've tried too many of those this season as well.  Look at the game last week vs Chiefs:  Sherfield couldn't catch that bomb ... neither could Diggs.  I understand you have to take a shot once in a while, especially with #17, but to rely on Sherfield and a low performance Diggs (vs Sneed) was either poor play calling or decision making on JA.  

• Like (+1) 1

I won't say much other than that KC game had to be humbling. I feel like he was featured heavily to start the game and it didnt go well. 

I've been thinking he isn't a ture WR 1 for awhile now but I wasnt going to say it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mike Evans is the same age as Diggs, and he's still putting up numbers no matter who's behind center.

I think Diggs can definitely be a number 1 still, it's just a matter of scheming & play calling (as well as improving the other talent at WR), along with commitment to stay with this organization.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Gregg said:

Diggs is 30 now and will be 31 next season. That's not old but if his subpar 2nd half of the season wasn't injury related then his decline will probably continue as he gets older.

I know the reported injuries had Diggs as OK, and nobody claimed he was hurt even verbally.  But, I watched closely, and there was definitely something wrong with him the second half of the season.  Its just that it was never mentioned.  I could see he was hurting.  Not sure, but, I thought neck or shoulder.....upper body problem of some sort.  Just my opinion after watching the NFL since the 60's.  (yes, I saw Kemp and Dan Darough play)

On 1/26/2024 at 12:31 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Pretty amazing comment. He says it’s based on film study. The Bills don’t have a number 1 receiver.

Comment starts at 2:13 in. But it’s a good listen. Not sure if this link will work.

https://go.audacy.com/rzMEawrpGGb

And I totally agree. Diggs was 1A in Minnesota. He had a success few years as a WR1 in Buffalo, but that’s probably because of his QB. 

On 1/26/2024 at 3:46 PM, Low Positive said:

The Ravens don't have one either. They are probably going to the SB with no WR having over 1,000 yards. Zay Flowers led the team with 858, but no one else even had 600 yards. Also, Lamar is their leading rusher. 

Zay Flowers is twice the player Diggs is today 

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

We may not have a #1, but that is in large part that our #2 takes no load off of our #1 , this is not said to pile on Davis, it’s just that he is in a position that his skill set can’t fill, Davis is better suited to be a 3/4 and was far more useful in that role, jmo. 

I do agree with this. 

Diggs has slipped to a decent #2. If he could be cloned 3 more times, Bills fans would take that! Failing that, Allen needs a #1. The rest rise up occasionally to #2s, normally #3-4.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH BY HALF! 

On 1/26/2024 at 2:36 PM, frostbitmic said:

Under Dorsey, Diggs was the only receiver on the field it seemed.

Under Brady they spread the ball around more and use Cook a lot more.

Diggs declined before Brady took over. This is a Diggs issue, not a scheme issue. Something isn't right with him.

IDK cover1 had a pretty good break down of how Diggs stuggled the 2nd half of the season the last 3 or 4 years, under Daboll, Dorsey and Brady. Basically his best season here was complimented Beasely and Brown, a real field stretcher and a legit slot wideout. He's not a field stretcher, he's not great in man, he struggles when D's focus on him down the stretch etc. Obviously, this isn't madden football, but we need to make a significant upgrade as soon as it is possible and makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/26/2024 at 3:35 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well if Greg says it, it must be true! 

no one would have said this a month ago. Everything is so reactionary! 

but yes, let’s get multiple WRs here this offseason. 

People were saying it a month ago and the evidence is more strong now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/26/2024 at 2:55 PM, Johnnycage46 said:

I trust Cosell's analysis as he doesn't appear to be emotionally-biased and goes by the tape (tape don't lie)

Been watching / listening to him for years.  He watches so many game recordings that he knows more about every player in the league than anyone else really.  College ball too. 

He wouldn't say it if he didn't think it were true.  The question is can SD rehabilitate next year?   

• Agree 5

On 1/26/2024 at 3:59 PM, corta765 said:

Just going to point out to those who are upset on this comment that the list of WR's who kept up 1000 yds + production post 30 years old is incredibly small with Larry Fitzgerald being the greatest outlier and he was moved to the slot.

Well said.

Diggs decline isn’t an indictment on him. He has been wonderful for us. Father time is simply undefeated.

• Like (+1) 4

On 1/26/2024 at 7:12 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Because drops have not been a long term issue for him.  He is more likely to go back to his norm which is a reliable catcher of the football. 

I hope you're right man, but I'm afraid it's more likely that 30+ yr old receivers get worse, not better as time goes by....

Everyone hits that wall eventually.

19 hours ago, Pete said:

Zay Flowers is twice the player Diggs is today 

That’s an absolutely insane thing to say and there is not a stat that backs that up. Ultimate prisoner of the moment. 

On 1/27/2024 at 1:31 PM, BigDingus said:

Mike Evans is the same age as Diggs, and he's still putting up numbers no matter who's behind center.

I think Diggs can definitely be a number 1 still, it's just a matter of scheming & play calling (as well as improving the other talent at WR), along with commitment to stay with this organization.

Evans had 6 games with under 50 yards this year, including 1 with 8! I’d take Evans all day over Diggs because of his size but even the best WRs aren’t having monster games game in and game out.

On 1/26/2024 at 3:31 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Pretty amazing comment. He says it’s based on film study. The Bills don’t have a number 1 receiver.

Comment starts at 2:13 in. But it’s a good listen. Not sure if this link will work.

The fact that Beane is so confident in saying “full confident Stef is a #1” is unsettling. 

he was “fully confident” in Gabe being a #2 as well.

He seems to be a year behind on his evaluations of declining players.

• Agree 1

Diggs 44 receptions on 75 attempts, 8 yards per attempt under Joe Brady over 9 games.

Stats back up the eye test.  If Steph isn't injured, stick a fork in him.  Next man up.

Bills dropped over 10% of catchable passes 🤮

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/26/2024 at 3:31 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We don't yet we"re stuck with him for another 3 years at huge money. This was another stupid contract for an older player that Beane signed,  the Chiefs sold high on Hill and still won the Super Bowl and could win another one this year. Bills should have traded Diggs after 13 secs and I say that because he disappeared in almost every big playoff game.

Not sure how Beanne gets off of the Diggs contract. 27mil-2024 27 mil 2025 28 mil 2026 22 mil 2027,  not just the drop in production but the head games he and his stupid punk brother keep playing with Allen is not good

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Agree 1

On 1/26/2024 at 4:15 PM, extrahammer said:

We have all these bonafide offensive consultants (Shula, Kromer, etc.) and first year OC's (Dorsey and Brady), it's wild to me that none of them can figure out if Diggs is a #1 WR or what type of offense to put around Josh. 

I’m sure they figured it out, but can’t really do much due to his massive contract. I’ve had enough w/ Diggs and his diva attitude. It’s time to move on and develop someone else to take over that role. Cosell is one of the best analysts and is usually spot on. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

On 1/27/2024 at 12:44 PM, Lfod said:

I won't say much other than that KC game had to be humbling. I feel like he was featured heavily to start the game and it didnt go well. 

I've been thinking he isn't a ture WR 1 for awhile now but I wasnt going to say it. 

Don't see how he can complain he isn't getting targets, or that he makes the most of them. Neither are true, nor is the story that Dorsey went to him far more than Brady. The fact is, he dropped passes, fumbled, didn't appear to get open as often in the past despite single coverage, and overall did not perform like a WR1, especially a superstar one. Players do hit the wall. I remember when Lofton was suddenly not effective, and even Moulds and Reed fell off. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s an absolutely insane thing to say and there is not a stat that backs that up. Ultimate prisoner of the moment. 

Diggs 44 receptions on 75 attempts, 8 yards per attempt under Joe Brady over 9 games.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Diggs 44 receptions on 75 attempts, 8 yards per attempt under Joe Brady over 9 games.

A lot of WR screens, which to me isn’t Diggs game. I know people hate me for being critical of Brady but this is one of the reasons.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Vikings got over on the Bills with that trade....they got the best of Diggs then got a much better WR on a rookie contract.   DIggs needs a WR1B to help him out. 

Sure, but no one thought Justin Jefferson was going to be the best WR in the NFL. 

On 1/26/2024 at 2:33 PM, Success said:

I mean, I'd agree.

I'd like to say it's Diggs, and think he could be.  But his production doesn't match what you would expect of a #1.

Not sure about the rest of y'all but it almost looked as if Diggs is a bit gun shy ! If we notice Diggs never takes a big hit he almost always gets down before the defender can hit him which for health reasons is a good thing but the one drop he had in the game the other night was like he was anticipating getting hit & lost his concentration and dropped the pass . 

Not sure if that is what his problem is but something was not right with him from the halfway point of the season on he just wasn't as he's said "That Guy" when the Bills needed him & it could be the age thing . He's going up against younger guys and maybe he just can't beat them any more .

The draft is coming & has the next Diggs somewhere in it & i hope they find a couple of those guys to go with what they have on the roster now & i hope they can get a DT, DE, or CB a bit later that can help make a difference for years to come ...

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Vikings got over on the Bills with that trade....they got the best of Diggs then got a much better WR on a rookie contract.   DIggs needs a WR1B to help him out. 

What? Diggs wasn't at his best the 3 years prior to this season?

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot of WR screens, which to me isn’t Diggs game. I know people hate me for being critical of Brady but this is one of the reasons.

Sure, but no one thought Justin Jefferson was going to be the best WR in the NFL. 

Well, no one knows who will be the best prior to....but the Vikings sure did think he would be a great pick---in fact enough that they felt very comfortable in getting rid of Diggs to get him. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

What? Diggs wasn't at his best the 3 years prior to this season?

He had 2 great seasons, but sucking up another 160 targets to get to 1100 yards this season has worn him out.  Plus in his career he consistently no-shows in playoff elimination games.  

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, no one knows who will be the best prior to....but the Vikings sure did think he would be a great pick---in fact enough that they felt very comfortable in getting rid of Diggs to get him. 

He had 2 great seasons, but sucking up another 160 targets to get to 1100 yards this season has worn him out.  Plus in his career he consistently no-shows in playoff elimination games.  

He was great the first 3 years here and was just as elite as he was in Minnesota. We should have made the Super Bowl in that time. Minnesota didn't screw us on any trade. We have got a very productive Diggs before this season

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

He was great the first 3 years here and was just as elite as he was in Minnesota. We should have made the Super Bowl in that time. Minnesota didn't screw us on any trade. We have got a very productive Diggs before this season

They got a much better WR, cheap, thats all.  Not "screwed". 

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The trade was equal the first few years. You make it sound like the trade was bad. It worked out the way it was supposed to for both teams

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

The trade was equal the first few years. You make it sound like the trade was bad. It worked out the way it was supposed to for both teams

People don’t really even think about the trade the right way imo…they didn’t get Jefferson straight up.  They got an attempt to maybe draft Jefferson…Philly easily could’ve taken him and they would’ve been left with reagor 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Jefferson is a great, great talent - top 3 WR in the game for sure.  However, Diggs had 3 years of top 7 WR production, and for his "bad" postseason play, he at least has 3 100+ yard outings with the Bills in the playoffs.  Jefferson has only played one playoff game, and had 47 yards.

I still consider it a win-win deal.  The Vikings were banking on A receiver being there due to the depth of the draft.  Let's be real, the Eagles taking Reagor above him was the biggest factor in the Vikings getting Jefferson.  If the Vikings scouted Jefferson and thought he would be the all world talent he is, they dont sit still at the draft to see if he falls.  I know they liked him, but Jefferson was the result of getting the pick, not the 1 for 1 trade that was made at that time.

Diggs has been great the last 4 years.  If he is in fact declining, the Bills need to draft a first round WR and insulate the position.  Which I believe they will do.

6 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Riiiight!

That’s the thing about ‘if’s’.

They’ve never happened in reality.

Oh yea that was more a comment on how important one individual play can be.  Diggs made a ridiculous catch earlier in the game but were only talkin about the drop lol 

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Oh yea that was more a comment on how important one individual play can be.  Diggs made a ridiculous catch earlier in the game but were only talkin about the drop lol 

They are paid to make catches not drop the ball. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Not exactly--Jefferson is nearly averaging Diggs's career high (and that's with only 9+ games this season)--without a Josh Allen throwing him the ball.

But even if we get past that, there is the obvious dilemma of a WR aging in decline vs. a young WR who started off in hsi prime. 

• Agree 1

Offense wasn't as efficient force feeding Diggs the ball.  Diggs seems to struggle some without volume.  In a more balance attack his productivity has suffered.  Most likely he is back next season.  With more juice around him it could open him up for a more efficient year.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.