The Three Plays that Cost us the Game

VaMilBill

Diggs dropping that bomb. We end of punting in that drive. No points scored. We probably (maybe?) get at least three there if caught. 

This is the one that kills me the most. Josh missing the crossing route to Diggs there on the last drive on 2nd and 9. If caught, Diggs definitely gets a first and probably goes down around the 10. It’s plays like these that made a Brady great cause he would see it, take the easy, high percentage, throw and keep the chains moving and the clock ticking. I honestly think at this point Josh will never get us over the hump because of either his inability to see plays like that or unwillingness to take the easy dump off even at crunch time. 

Bass missing the FG at the end. Statistically Bass has been one of the worst kickers this season. I’ve been harping about it since the beginning of December. McD simply never trusted him the second half of the season. Last week was a giant flashing sign saying “don’t trust bass!” that McD didn’t heed. Even his XPs tonight were barely eeking in between the uprights. Now I understand if we make that FG, the chiefs still have a lot of time and two TOs, but missing it guaranteed we would lose. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Cook dropped a TD as well. Crucial. The non pass to Diggs at the end was the worst one. Get a new set of downs, milk the clock and an excellent opportunity to score. I don’t get why Josh went for a TD there. Too much time left on the clock. :(

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Diggs dropping that bomb. We end of punting in that drive. No points scored. We probably (maybe?) get at least three there if caught. 

This is the one that kills me the most. Josh missing the crossing route to Diggs there on the last drive on 2nd and 9. If caught, Diggs definitely gets a first and probably goes down around the 10. It’s plays like these that made a Brady great cause he would see it, take the easy, high percentage, throw and keep the chains moving and the clock ticking. I honestly think at this point Josh will never get us over the hump because of either his inability to see plays like that or unwillingness to take the easy dump off even at crunch time. 

Bass missing the FG at the end. Statistically Bass has been one of the worst kickers this season. I’ve been harping about it since the beginning of December. McD simply never trusted him the second half of the season. Last week was a giant flashing sign saying “don’t trust bass!” that McD didn’t heed. Even his XPs tonight were barely eeking in between the uprights. Now I understand if we make that FG, the chiefs still have a lot of time and two TOs, but missing it guaranteed we would lose. 

Agreed with all.

BTW, Bass was 28th in the league @ an 82.8 clip.

1 minute ago, Freak-O said:

Cook dropped a TD as well. Crucial. The non pass to Diggs at the end was the worst one. Get a new set of downs, milk the clock and an excellent opportunity to score. I don’t get why Josh went for a TD there. Too much time left on the clock. :(

Cook dropped TD we ended up getting a TD anyways so I’ll discount that. 

but yes, josh taking that crosser gets the first, eats up clock or forces KC to take a TO, and puts us in a great position to get a TD. 

Josh played extremely well, but that singular play stands out to me as the blemish on his night tonight 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1. Diggs has to make that catch, it was in his hands

2. The miss to Diggs was on Josh totally. He will be having nightmares watching that again.

3. Bass lost his mojo a while ago. And once a kicker does that, its over. Its very similar to Norwood. Baltimore and KC dont have that problem.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I still can't believe this. Consider the 4th Q alone:

• KC fumbles thru the end zone, turnover
  • KC drops a pick 6
  • KC fails to jump on an Allen fumble
  • Diggs, the diva, drops a bomb
  • Allen misses a wide open Shakir
  • FG no good

We all wanted KC at home. Yikes, KC simply has the Bills' number, it's a shame. 

I don't know if you guys watched the post game- Boomer Esiason spewed out some insane stats. KC only ran 47 plays the whole game, 4 were kneel downs, and they scored 27 points. Crazy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1. Diggs is the only boundary/deep weapon the Bills have

2. If he's not catching perfect passes, then who else is

3. Spanguououla knows that and cranks the box on early downs and Brady keeps ramming into it

Fix boundary WR, fix the Bills

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

1. Diggs has to make that catch, it was in his hands

2. The miss to Diggs was on Josh totally. He will be having nightmares watching that again.

3. Bass lost his mojo a while ago. And once a kicker does that, its over. Its very similar to Norwood. Baltimore and KC dont have that problem.

or elliot in philly, or boswell, or the baltimore kicker, or the KC kicker.... time to wake beane up... unpopular take, cook is a change of pace back... and bass is a bottom tier kicker. Allens brain doesn't work well... and mcdermott needs to MAKE him situationally aware, or he's gotta go. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

On a positive note Shakir looked awesome! His hands were simply amazing tonight! The young man looked like a star. The future is bright for him. Diggs looked like just a guy tonight, the second half of this year really. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, 0017 said:

On a positive note Shakir looked awesome! His hands were simply amazing tonight! The young man looked like a star. The future is bright for him. Diggs looked like just a guy tonight, the second half of this year really. 

Agree on Shakir. Kinda reminding me of victor Cruz in his prime but better. 

It sucks Diggs has such a big dead cap hit next year because i think at this point he is done. I would love to cut him or trade him but obviously the financial ramifications don’t allow for it.  His hands just aren’t trustworthy and he isn’t elite anymore. He’s a middling number 1 WR. 

Just now, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Taking multiple deep shots and bypassing chain moving completions is on Josh 

How hard is this? If he hadn't been hit, it's a TD.  He also hit Diggs in the hands on a deep ball that Diggs dropped.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just dismiss our generational QB as someone who will Never get us over the hump. What does it matter that KC shut down our wide receivers all night forcing runs and dump offs.  When he had a few shots down the field, 3 drops on perfect throws( 2 Sherfield, 1Diggs) Does it matter that Mahomes would have had 4 straight TD drives if they didn’t fumble through the End Zone. Does it matter he led us in rushing, 2 TDs himself. The fact that we were in a position to win, being outmanned is only because of the QB. It’s silly comments like yours that  make this board laughable. He got jostled by Dawkins pushed into him on the play you wanted him to check down to Diggs, or else Shakir has an easy TD. I know you’re frustrated, but Josh is the only reason the fans aren’t wearing bags over their heads.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

My two main issues:

Cutting Haack and going into this game with a gimp punter.

The fake punt. 10 men or not, with that field position--assinine.  I felt like that was huge swing point of the game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Been echoing the same things about Bass. 

35 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Can't disagree.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Can't blame for Josh on that play.

That's an easy TD pass if he doesn't get hit

It's the wrong play. The clock is more important than the TD here. If you score on that play you give Mahomes the ball back with 1:55 left and 2 TOs. 

The pass to Diggs was it. You take the easy first and keep burning clock. You need KC to burn both their TOs and have about a minute left. Allen is the best when he takes what the defense gives him and that was the right play.... not the long TD. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

You have 3 big drops in this game. The 3 plays on the last drive before the FG kill you. Blown coverage and kelce TD. The fake punt is embarrassing. The horrible punt, the horrible Bass kick. Not scoring a TD on that first drive and taking 3. You can’t have any of those mistakes, let alone all of them. You aren’t beating Mahomes with 5th string LBers then making all those mistakes. We couldn’t tackle, couldn’t stop the run all day. You just didn’t play well. The offense had a string of great play, the rest of the day was sloppy. STs terrible, the defense made 1 stop all night. You are lucky to have even had a look at the end. Make that FG and KC will be down in FG range in 40 seconds anyway. You have to just be better all around. Wether that’s coaching? I don’t know. I know until we actually do this thing, I’ll never believe we can. And that’s not my fault. That’s 35 years of bull####

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

How hard is this? If he hadn't been hit, it's a TD.  He also hit Diggs in the hands on a deep ball that Diggs dropped.

The point the guy is trying to make is do we really want Mahomes having the ball with 1:55 and two timeouts to drive for a TD on our defense that was gashed regularly tonight?

If Khalil was by himself and it was an easy throw I’d take the Td. But he wasn’t. And josh didn’t have a clean pocket. He should have felt that pressure and thrown it to Diggs. Yeah we probably don’t get a TD on that play. But, we move the chains, kill clock / KC TOs, and place ourselves in a great spot to score a TD. Worst case scenario we take an easier FG when only about 1:00 minute remains on the clock and KC is out of TOs. 

The smart play was to Diggs IMO. That’s why Brady was so good, he always took the smart, high percentage plays having SA to the follow-on implications. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

It's the wrong play. The clock is more important than the TD here. If you score on that play you give Mahomes the ball back with 1:55 left and 2 TOs. 

The pass to Diggs was it. You take the easy first and keep burning clock. You need KC to burn both their TOs and have about a minute left. Allen is the best when he takes what the defense gives him and that was the right play.... not the long TD. 

Just get the TD though.

thats the most important thing and the TD was there

clock is 2nd.

If someone told me bills are up 31-27 with a 1:53 left, I would take that over been down 27-24 having a first down at the 15 yard line with 1:53 left.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Just dismiss our generational QB as someone who will Never get us over the hump. What does it matter that KC shut down our wide receivers all night forcing runs and dump offs.  When he had a few shots down the field, 3 drops on perfect throws( 2 Sherfield, 1Diggs) Does it matter that Mahomes would have had 4 straight TD drives if they didn’t fumble through the End Zone. Does it matter he led us in rushing, 2 TDs himself. The fact that we were in a position to win, being outmanned is only because of the QB. It’s silly comments like yours that  make this board laughable. He got jostled by Dawkins pushed into him on the play you wanted him to check down to Diggs, or else Shakir has an easy TD. I know you’re frustrated, but Josh is the only reason the fans aren’t wearing bags over their heads.

I think my comment is pretty fair. The Shakir pass was obviously not a sure thing and Josh did get pushed from behind. I think the motion with Diggs made it obvious he should have been the go-to guy cause he was wide open from the snap. Take the sure play. 

44 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

If Allen isn't hit, it's a clear TD to Shakir.  None of this **** Show is on Allen.

He's the only reason we were in the game.  The Defense took a vacation in the 2nd Half.  Not sure why the monumental difference in the two halves, other than that Reid adjusted and as usual, McD did nothing.  

We're 1-3 in divisional games, which is inexcusable.  

We're great against siht teams in the WC rounds.  

0-1 in the CCG.  

It's pretty clear why.  But some refuse to see it.  

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Just get the TD though.

thats the most important thing and the TD was there

clock is 2nd.

If someone told me bills are up 31-27 with a 1:53 left, I would take that over been down 27-24 having a first down at the 15 yard line with 1:53 left.

That's a loss. Hell even Peyton Manning, when he was with the Colts, shaved the clock because he didn't want Brady to have time. Romo literally on the next play said the Chiefs should do Cover 0 because you don't want the Bills to run the clock.

15 minutes ago, rm -rf /* said:

My two main issues:

Cutting Haack and going into this game with a gimp punter.

The fake punt. 10 men or not, with that field position--assinine.  I felt like that was huge swing point of the game.

If we didn't get that miracle play from Poyer, that failed fake costs us the game and puts blame squarely on McDermott.

I almost wish it played out that way because this team can't go any further under this coach

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

After the two minute break the play calling was wrong. Just keep,taking what they give and eat the clock

You see a guy open in the endzone you take it. End of story. You score when you can. Fumbles and interceptions happen. 

Shakir was open. Allen got hit on his delivery.

50 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

If Allen isn't hit, it's a clear TD to Shakir.  None of this **** Show is on Allen.

He waited for that route to open which it did but Jones was pushing Dawkins back quickly.  Turned out to be the wrong decision unfortunately 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.