Taron status?

Deadstroke

Gmfb said yesterday he's expected to play.

Not sure exactly what that manifests itself as, but they said Douglas and Taron we're going to play.

From what I understand, the real question mark is with Bernard (and that's not looking too promising)

27 minutes ago, Deadstroke said:

I'm missing something here.  I thought that Taron's availability status would be determined at 6 AM and that, naturally, we would know pretty much right away; go, or no go.  Any info yet?🤔

LOL why would you think the Bills would be in a hurry to let the media (and Andy Reid) know?

They gave him a game status - "questionable".  Let everyone find out 90 minutes before the game.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

LOL why would you think the Bills would be in a hurry to let the media (and Andy Reid) know?

They gave him a game status - "questionable".  Let everyone find out 90 minutes before the game.

If that's the case then why tell them Davis, Benford, etc all out on Friday? Just list em as questionable and call it a day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Look, just rub some damn dirt on it, throw an extra sacrifice into the pit and lets get on with it already!

And if that doesn't work let mom rub some spit on it & kiss him on the forehead  😜 That always works ...

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

If that's the case then why tell them Davis, Benford, etc all out on Friday? Just list em as questionable and call it a day. 

I give up

You work it out for yourself.  (Hint: the NFL has requirements regarding injury reports)

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

There has to be a 50% chance of them playing for them to be listed as questionable. If there is no chance of them playing, they have to be ruled out. It's the rules.

1 hour ago, Deadstroke said:

I'm missing something here.  I thought that Taron's availability status would be determined at 6 AM and that, naturally, we would know pretty much right away; go, or no go.  Any info yet?🤔

https://www.nfl.com/playerhealthandsafety/resources/fact-sheets/nfl-return-to-participation-protocol

No mention of a 36 hour on the NFL web site.  I have neve heard of that before, other than a posting in another thread.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Deadstroke said:

He might have to clear by a certain time but I don’t think the bills are required to announce it right when he clears 

Kind of weird how little is being discussed about this injury as he might be the best player on the team not named Josh Allen. Him not playing could mean the difference between winning and losing this game.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Would think it would need to be by later today as isn't 4:00 PM today the deadline for PS call ups?   The team may want to use a call up to replace him.

You can only call up 2 players. with Gabe out you figure one of them is isabella. The other might have to be a punter. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Kind of weird how little is being discussed about this injury as he might be the best player on the team not named Josh Allen. Him not playing could mean the difference between winning and losing this game.

I feel like he's the most discussed. We have to have him for this game.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

There has to be a 50% chance of them playing for them to be listed as questionable. If there is no chance of them playing, they have to be ruled out. It's the rules.

They do still have a "doubtful" designation which means "unlikely to play" (not sure of %)

But yeah, if there's actually no chance that the player will play, calling them "questionable" (or even doubtful) would likely call up an NFL investigation

51 minutes ago, Bigvinny said:

You can only call up 2 players. with Gabe out you figure one of them is isabella. The other might have to be a punter. 

The call ups will be interesting. Assuming TJ clears,there are 3 players that you’d want to call up. Klein, Isabella, and Haack, all for obvious injury replacements. But you can only call up 2. So I don’t know.  Maybe you cut Martin and sign haack to the 53, then reverse that when he’s better. Or maybe you IR Spector and sign one of the 3 callus to the 53. We should find out this afternoon. 

51 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Would think it would need to be by later today as isn't 4:00 PM today the deadline for PS call ups?   The team may want to use a call up to replace him.

I think the team will need to use its 2 call-ups on AJ Klein and Haack.

I think they likely want a WR as well, so they may need to cut someone or IR someone from the 53 man roster.  I'm kind of wondering if Baylon Spector is a candidate for IR?

Does anyone know what the procedure is - if someone is cut from the roster, can another remaining team put in a waiver claim?  Can any of the 32  teams claim them?

3 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

The call ups will be interesting. Assuming TJ clears,there are 3 players that you’d want to call up. Klein, Isabella, and Haack, all for obvious injury replacements. But you can only call up 2. So I don’t know.  Maybe you cut Martin and sign haack to the 53, then reverse that when he’s better. Or maybe you IR Spector and sign one of the 3 callus to the 53. We should find out this afternoon. 

Martin is signed through 2025 and has a $2.4M dead cap hit.  I don't see him getting cut.  If he is hurt that bad, he could go to IR.

Bills have nothing much left in cap space.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think the team will need to use its 2 call-ups on AJ Klein and Haack.

I think they likely want a WR as well, so they may need to cut someone or IR someone from the 53 man roster.  I'm kind of wondering if Baylon Spector is a candidate for IR?

Does anyone know what the procedure is - if someone is cut from the roster, can another remaining team put in a waiver claim?  Can any of the 32  teams claim them?

Putting Spector on IR if he can come back next week would be too dangerous. I think, as a previous poster had stated, you cut Sam Martin with the agreement that he will return when healthy.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Martin is signed through 2025 and has a $2.4M dead cap hit.  I don't see him getting cut.  If he is hurt that bad, he could go to IR.

Or that.

13 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

As far as cutting Martin, it's not that simple.  You can cut an injured player, but only if you reach an "injury settlement" with them, where they will be paid for the # of weeks the team and their representatives agree it will take the injury to heal.  Then the team which reaches the injury settlement, is prohibited from re-signing the player for the duration of the settlement plus 6 weeks. 

In addition, Martin is signed through 2025, so cutting him would roll $800k dead cap onto the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

They do still have a "doubtful" designation which means "unlikely to play" (not sure of %)

But yeah, if there's actually no chance that the player will play, calling them "questionable" (or even doubtful) would likely call up an NFL investigation

Doubtful is 25% or less.

40 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That will change quickly with some restructures and cuts/re-worked deals/paycuts.  Also, how the hell did a thread about Taron Johnson's status for the game turn into Sam Martin and the Bills salary cap room next year?  Take that to where it should be in separate threads that already exist and stop polluting this one with nonsense that has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Doubtful is 25% or less.

That will change quickly with some restructures and cuts/re-worked deals/paycuts.

Thanks on the % info

The point is, we need to stay under the cap at all times through the playoffs.  We can't make decisions to cut players that would put us over it.

And the day before a playoff game is probably not the time to be restructuring and re-working deals.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Thanks on the % info

The point is, we need to stay under the cap at all times through the playoffs.  We can't make decisions to cut players that would put us over it.

And the day before a playoff game is probably not the time to be restructuring and re-working deals.

oh for sure...that's the offseason.  Players don't get paid during the postseason, I don't believe tho.  They only get game checks during the season and split money based on how they do in the playoff games, ie, the team is awarded a sum of money that is split by the team...unless they have changed that recently.

Edited by Big Turk

27 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That will change quickly with some restructures and cuts/re-worked deals/paycuts.  Also, how the hell did a thread about Taron Johnson's status for the game turn into Sam Martin and the Bills salary cap room next year?  Take that to where it should be in separate threads that already exist and stop polluting this one with nonsense that has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

They would IR him.  He is injured.  He cannot be cut and re-signed under the injury rules.

I still believe that teams have to stay under the cap during the playoffs.  If not, what's to stop the Bills from signing vet players right now?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.