Crazy thought...would the 'Phins have played for the tie?

Didn't want to say anything until the game was in the bag, but I had a thought.  Let's say Miami tied it and it went into OT.  Time's running out, Miami has the ball and is in a position for a game-winning field goal.  Now...if they kick it, they get the division and the #2 seed, but have to play Buffalo in the Wild Card game.  What if Miami instead takes a knee?  They still win the division and the #2 seed...but they also get to avoid the Bills and instead host the Steelers.  If Buffalo wins their Wild Card game, and the 'Phins beat the Steelers, then Buffalo goes to Baltimore.  In other words, by going for a tie, Miami would lose nothing at all.  They would simply swap in the Steelers and put themselves in the position of not having to face the Bills until the Championship Game.

So, with all that in mind, do you think Miami would have taken the tie in OT instead of the win if possible?

Edited by The Red King
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Didn't want to say anything until the game was in the bag, but I had a thought.  Let's say Miami tied it and it went into OT.  Time's running out, Miami has the ball and is in a position for a game-winning field goal.  Now...if they kick it, they get the division and the #2 seed, but have to play Buffalo in the Wild Card game.  What if Miami instead takes a knee?  They still win the division and the #2 seed...but they also get to avoid the Bills and instead host the Steelers.  If Buffalo wins their Wild Card game, and the 'Phins beat the Steelers, then Buffalo goes to Baltimore.  In other words, by going for a tie, Miami would lose nothing at all.  They would simply swap in the Steelers and put themselves in the position of not having to face the Bills until the Championship Game.

So, with all that in mind, do you think Miami would have taken the tie in OT instead of the win if possible?

No. Dolphins are going nowhere until

they beat some good teams, and they know it. They needed the win tonight, psychologically. 

They are cooked now.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

they beat some good teams, and they know it. They needed the win tonight, psychologically. 

They are cooked now.

I don’t think that Shanahan offensive scheme is fooling the better teams and it requires a lot of absurdly fast guys on offense.  They’re headed for a rebuild in a couple years imo unless they can come up with elite defensive play.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

It’s not crazy I said same thing with like 6 minutes left - if they scored to tie where there wouldn’t be enough time left for the Bills I think they would have went for 2.  

Oh well.  

I believe a tie would of given the Dolphins the number 2 seed.

3 hours ago, chongli said:

If there were a tie, Buffalo would have been at KC on Peacock next Saturday. 😠

I never ever want to watch a game that is streaming on peacock only.  Last game seemed I could never get the audio of radio feed synched with video. 

They actually asked McDaniel that this week. His response (paraphrasing) was basically "We are going in to win a football game. That's the only way to approach it. But if it's tied and at the end of the game that's information that would be factored in".

So, basically yes they would have played for a tie if the option to win was a longshot and the opportunity was there.

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

They are cooked now.

The Dolphin's have beaten one team all year with a winning record...

5 hours ago, The Red King said:

I think that Miami would’ve been very happy with a tie. It was likely the best outcome for them. That said, if the game had gone to overtime they’d have played for the win initially. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I feel they would have gone for two and the win had then been able to get a TD on their last drive.  

I also thought this, which made the last drive even more stressful - with the injuries and the crazy way the game turned, no doubt mcdaniel just wanted to get the hell out of there and end it either way

6 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t think that Shanahan offensive scheme is fooling the better teams and it requires a lot of absurdly fast guys on offense.  They’re headed for a rebuild in a couple years imo unless they can come up with elite defensive play.  

Man,,,,But that speed was amazing....I wish we could have a few players with that speed...the only one that was any close to it was McKenzie.  I think Cook has that speed but ends up dancing too much

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Who cares...

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

This reminds me of what my mom used to say:  "If the Queen had balls, she'd be the King!"  And my mom is a fairly well-mannered person, so this is a bit out of character for her.

As to the original question, if I was the Dolphins in that situation, I would take a knee and the tie.  Two reasons:  1) A FG could be blocked and returned for a score.  It's unlikely and rare, but stuff like that has happened in the history of football; 2) would you rather face Mason Rudolph/Kenny Pickett/Mitchell Trubisky in the playoffs or Josh Allen?

12 hours ago, The Red King said:

I think we are giving their coach too much credit he would not think that far ahead

13 hours ago, The Red King said:

If this game went to OT then Dolphins would try to win it,  not many teams are tying to tie games

6 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I actually think the opposite. I think if Miami scored to make it 21-20 they were going to go for two, the win, and the Title 

Knowing McDaniels yes I would agree

14 hours ago, The Red King said:

They would have been crazy not to try that if they had a chance.  Thankfully, we did not give them the option.

14 hours ago, FireChans said:

They are cooked now.

They wont win in KC…it is supposed to be extremely cold and the crowd will also play a factor. 

The thing is, everyone wanted to host the Steelers. KC fans were so mad last night that Miami choked, because the Chiefs fans wanted Pittsburgh too.  I’m sure Miami did.  I hope it’s not a case of be careful what you wish for! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zow2 said:

The thing is, everyone wanted to host the Steelers. KC fans were so mad last night that Miami choked, because the Chiefs fans wanted Pittsburgh too.  I’m sure Miami did.  I hope it’s not a case of be careful what you wish for! 

Too true, let me be clear I'm not overlooking the Steelers.  The key for a lot of these teams though is, did you want Pitt, or did you want [x]?  I dunno though, if I'm KC I'm not sure I'd want Pitt over Miami.  The Dolphins are beat up and reeling, their morale is crushed.

The idle musings over my OP though came from, if you're the 'Phins which is the best option.  Hosting the Bills again for Round 2, hosting Pitt or going to KC?  Out of the three, knowing Buffalo is in anyway (different story if it was a chance to bounce us) and the opportunity presents, do you play for that tie?  I'm honestly not sure, and to be honest, I'm more in the camp of "no", or even "they'd go for two", but I was just curious what people thought.

Edited by The Red King

As others have pointed out I don't think there was any world in which that game was going to OT. 

But let's say it had and your scenario played itself out.  

I think if they were like, on their own 45 yard line, they might realistically just run out the clock with the matchup in mind.  If they were in actual FG range like on the Bills 35 they would have kicked to win it.  Within the culture of the NFL you can't be seen to be not trying to win a game.  It's bad for the product and puts a target on your back from the team you're slighting, not just for your upcoming game but for years to come.  Just bad form and I think McDaniel, for all his goofiness, is a guy who would get that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.