Bills at Dolphins post game thread

HappyDays

42 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I know who he is. The defense won this game. He had a very tough first half. Most defenses crumble in a situation like this, against a high scoring offense. He gave Miami a few opportunities that the defense snuffed out. Glad we won, but it’s amazing how much he’s babied. Anyone else makes a mistake, he’s toast here(Cook as an example). Everyone knows our qb. Nationality called the “Josh experience “ for a reason. 
Great job defense!!! You bailed him out. Again. 

Besides that miscommunication with Gabe that led to an Eli Apple interception he had a pretty great first half. There was small things he needed to clean up but he was throwing ball all over the field, picking up big chunks of yards and was pretty accurate. That was the best he has thrown the ball in sometime.

That 4th down INT saved the Bills about 18 yards of field position. Miami should have just knocked it down. So it was actually a smart play by Josh after he missed Kincaid. And a dumb play by the DB to actually catch the ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Did anyone notice Tua's soul leave his body after the punt return for the TD and the Phins 3 and out on the drive after?  You could see it in his face, he was all smiles all game until that point and then the bad throws started happening. How does a Punt return for TD affect a QB that much?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, WideNine said:

That Ty Johnson route was a strange one... With no time on the clock you don't run a drag route shallow of the EZ unless it is a pick and he was not meant to get the ball. That did not seem to be the case.

Just a strange play and it will be interesting hearing some of the Xs and Os guys break that one down.

Truth... they left a lot of meat on the bone, but played hard for 60 minutes. Good things can happen when teams do that...like an unexpected Harty return for a TD that was a catalyst and spark that got them back into the game.

Just watch the play again. I posted a replay of it somewhere in the gameday thread.  It was designed to go to Ty. You can see the clearout/pick to get him free.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I love seeing that for a lot of reasons:

• That he isn't seriously hurt.
  • That his teammates had faith in each other to handle it and let them know they have his back.
  • That it actually worked.

Very similar to a couple of things I heard them talk about on the Buffalo Plus postgame show.  Apparently when Dawkins was bleeding all over himself the training staff told him he had to go into the locker room.  He told them to wait and he looked at Van Demark and asked, "Are you okay?"  Van Demark nodded and said, "I'm okay.  I got this" and only then did Dawkins agree to the locker room.  Also, after the Bills called the timeout on that last 4th and 1 before they went for it, apparently the leaders of the secondary (Hyde, Poyer, Taron) were out patting on the offense telling them they had it (and don't worry if you don't).  The Buffalo Plus crew said they've been on a lot of NFL fields and you just don't see that.  Seems like these players love each other and are having fun again...and man I love this team when they are like that.  It's as if this year has been a reversal of last year when the vibe started out great and went downhill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

27 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Besides that miscommunication with Gabe that led to an Eli Apple interception he had a pretty great first half. There was small things he needed to clean up but he was throwing ball all over the field, picking up big chunks of yards and was pretty accurate. That was the best he has thrown the ball in sometime.

I wondered about this as well.  I told my wife that you rarely see a pass so "off" unless there is a breakdown in the communication/expectation between QB and WR.  I don't know if it was or was not true in this case, but it was so clearly off, that it made me wonder.  Not everything is as black and white as it seems.  Ultimately the QB is responsible for protecting the ball.

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Broken tackle on LB,  Wilkins on back with 2 Miami defenders in front of him.  That play was all heart 

It was remarkable seeing it live.  It is stunning seeing this still shot.  QB1 in Buffalo is a dude.  He got 7 more yards from this play at this point.  Stunning.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

What an unbelievable end to the season to grab the 2 seed up from 11th just five weeks ago.   With everything that happened this year, week 1 vs the Jets, Patriots loss, Denver.....even if you flip 2 or three of those to wins, the Bills are..........the 2 seed.     In the end, with that win last night, it did not matter.  Sure you want the one seed but with how the season went, the 2 was absolute max you could have achieved.

The regular season could have been different too.

OT is a lottery to some extent - and that accounts for three losses.

And then you've got losses by 3, 4 and 5 points. Not even a full score. 

The only loss that isn't down the bounce of a ball was the Bengals. Who thrashed us by <checks notes>  ... 6. 

Yes, luck goes both ways. But this seeming shitshow of a season could very nearly have been perfect .With one of the most challenging schedules I've ever seen the Bills play. 

It's been a mad ride

Edited by Bill Grundy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I'll quote Coach McD's victory speech after a tight win last year: "You guys sure like to make it interesting."

And Josh waving up the Bills fans after the game must have been totally demoralizing to the 'Phins. During the game, it sounded like about 50/50 on the crowd. But seeing how many remained to celebrate was mind-blowing. The Bills went into THEIR house, took the title, and celebrated in THEIR front yard. Damn, that was sweet.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

This is insane (I think it’s 3 carries but still) 

It's not like they didn't try.  I saw the Dolphins got 17 total plays in the second half.  17!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And they did try to run on them, but Buffalo adjusted to the fake pitches and had several TFLs on them.  And Ingold with that blind side hit also doomed one of their drives.

28 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Just watch the play again. I posted a replay of it somewhere in the gameday thread.  It was designed to go to Ty. You can see the clearout/pick to get him free.

I think the problem is that Ty's route was a bit too flat when we crossed underneath the pick.  It looked like he ran parallel to the endzone; if he instead took a step or two towards the endzone, i think he catches it on the goal line and scores easily. 

48 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Did anyone notice Tua's soul leave his body after the punt return for the TD and the Phins 3 and out on the drive after?  You could see it in his face, he was all smiles all game until that point and then the bad throws started happening. How does a Punt return for TD affect a QB that much?

Miami brought a pea-shooter to a gun fight. 

5 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

And Josh waving up the Bills fans after the game must have been totally demoralizing to the 'Phins. During the game, it sounded like about 50/50 on the crowd. But seeing how many remained to celebrate was mind-blowing. The Bills went into THEIR house, took the title, and celebrated in THEIR front yard. Damn, that was sweet.

I thought it was very classy and respectful of Josh Allen to walk around the stadium to acknowledge the Bills fans. He even put his palms together as a thank you. How can one not absolutely love this dude? 

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Was banned for a cpl days. Our boys did it!!!!!! 

Love yall. 

What a journey this season was, 6-6. on a bye , hit piece on our coach and as I said then, this team been here before, their leadership is tremendous,  they'll do it and they did it against huge odds. 

4 straight division titles. 

The SB documentary is going to be epic! Go Bills ✌️❤️

Welcome back. Being in the penalty box sucks. A couple of days is not too much to endure. Mine was long and seemed like forever. 

I think some missed my activity. 

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I know who he is. The defense won this game. He had a very tough first half. Most defenses crumble in a situation like this, against a high scoring offense. He gave Miami a few opportunities that the defense snuffed out. Glad we won, but it’s amazing how much he’s babied. Anyone else makes a mistake, he’s toast here(Cook as an example). Everyone knows our qb. Nationality called the “Josh experience “ for a reason. 

Dude!?!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

The first interception resulted in the ball ending up at something like the Miami 8. The second resulted in a touchback. The fumble - which was more down to Torrence/lack of support from Morse - saw the ball recovered at the Fins 27. As infuriating as they were, none of the turnovers left the defense in a near impossible situation to recover. Indeed, the worst position was the turnover on downs in the fourth (Miami 37).

Ironically, the fumble indirectly lead to 7 points instead of 3.  If Allen doesn't fumble, they bring out Bass and The Dolphins get the ball back after a kick return at their 25.  The fumble may have amped the defense out to get the Fins to go 3 and out, which caused the punt and the rest is history...

The last 5/6 weeks of this season has been awesome, but honestly prior to that this season has absolutely sucked. The first dolphins game was awesome obviously, but thinking about the giants game and those terrible losses to the jets/broncos/Pats just makes me 🤮. It was looking pretty bleak. I'm pretty confident had Brady been oc from the start we'd have 2 more wins and probably the 1 seed but what are you gonna do. Bills have to stop shooting themselves in the foot. It's playoff time baby 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

BTW did you actually watch the game?  Yes the D played great particularly in the 2nd half.  But one of the things that enabled the D to play so well was that the Bill's O controlled the TOP over Miami by a ridiculous 38:07 to 21:53 minutes. The Dolphins ran only 48 plays to the Bills 77.  This is a stat that contributed a great deal to the Bills winning and Allen had a lot to do wit it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

BTW did you actually watch the game?  Yes the D played great particularly in the 2nd half.  But one of the things that enabled the D to play so well was that the Bill's O controlled the TOP over Miami by a ridiculous 38:07 to 21:53 minutes. The Dolphins ran only 48 plays to the Bills 77.  This is a stat that contributed a great deal to the Bills winning and Allen had a lot to do wit it.

Game had undertones from the game in Miami last year, players going out, offense moving the ball/struggling to score, but man did they overcome it all last night. They figured it out. They’re a different team now, definitely seem experienced and level headed in crunch time. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, fergie&#x27;s ire said:

Very similar to a couple of things I heard them talk about on the Buffalo Plus postgame show.  Apparently when Dawkins was bleeding all over himself the training staff told him he had to go into the locker room.  He told them to wait and he looked at Van Demark and asked, "Are you okay?"  Van Demark nodded and said, "I'm okay.  I got this" and only then did Dawkins agree to the locker room.  Also, after the Bills called the timeout on that last 4th and 1 before they went for it, apparently the leaders of the secondary (Hyde, Poyer, Taron) were out patting on the offense telling them they had it (and don't worry if you don't).  The Buffalo Plus crew said they've been on a lot of NFL fields and you just don't see that.  Seems like these players love each other and are having fun again...and man I love this team when they are like that.  It's as if this year has been a reversal of last year when the vibe started out great and went downhill.

This is the exact moment where you want the good vibes, chemistry and team spirit to be at all time highs. You could see the energy sapped from the Bills in the latter months of 2022 and it's the exact opposite now. For all their flaws, the energy is undeniable.

Re-watching the game this morning, who didn't think Harty you idiot when he caught the ball at the 4 instead of letting it go into end zone. When he got to the 20 I was like OH YEAH!!

Could have been a high risk plan to make something happen too

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.